Menu

Pancakes

MamaSheep

Please share your favorite pancake and pancake-related (syrups, toppings..) recipes, stories, poetry, whatever.

My extended family has a rotating gift-exchange for Christmas, and this year it's my turn to buy a gift for my sister's family. They're just moving into a new house, and one of the things she has requested is a 2-burner pancake griddle for her new gas stove. I was thinking of getting her that, and then putting together a home-made book with recipes for different kinds of pancakes and pancake toppings, as well as maybe some pancake-related poetry and short stories if I can find some. (Like this one. It's waffles, but close enough.)

Please help me put together a good collection!

Thanks in advance. :)

This is the extent of my pancake wisdom:

1. Substitute some farina for a bit of the flour. Cornmeal if you're feeling especially frisky.

2. Grade B maple syrup for the win.

3. My Russian grandma insisted, "You always have to throw away the first pancake." She reminded me of this every time I'd try something new and it didn't go perfectly the first time.

Buttermilk pancakes

1 1/2 c. flour

2 T sugar

1/2 t. salt

2 t. baking powder

1/2 t. baking soda

1 1/4-1 1/2 c. buttermilk

2 eggs

1 t. vanilla

Basically mix ingredients to make a batter and cook on a greased skillet, griddle, whatever you have :)

This is the recipe that I use. They're thick pancakes, which we like, but you can add a bit more milk to make them thinner. Don't over mix, and let it sit for a minute or two to let the baking soda work.

This is my recipe as well! And as a matter of fact, I made it for dinner tonight.

I always add vanilla and my kiddos love when I sprinkle some chocolate chips in their pancakes.

This is my recipe as well! And as a matter of fact, I made it for dinner tonight.

I always add vanilla and my kiddos love when I sprinkle some chocolate chips in their pancakes.

How funny, we use this recipe, too! I also add vanilla, and my boys love them with chocolate chips. I use the same base recipe for dh, but I add blueberries.

The recipe also works for waffles.

For toppings, dh loves when I make a simple blueberry syrup by boiling blueberries, water, and a bit of sugar for a while.

These grahamcakes are kind of nice for a change.

Governor’s Inn Grahamcakes

¾ cup flour

¾ cup graham cracker crumbs

1 tablespoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

2 T melted butter (or oil)

1 egg

Combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix the milk, butter, and egg. Add this mixture to the larger bowl, and mix well. The batter will thicken as it sits.

To make pancakes, heat a frying pan over a medium-hot temperature. Spray with non-stick. Ladle in enough batter to make a 4-5 inch pancake (if the batter is too thick, add a few teaspoons of milk). Cook the pancake until it is covered with small craters and then flip. Cook the other side of a few moments until lightly browned and serve hot.

Nate the Great’s Potato Pancakes

Ingredients

2 eggs

1/3 cup flour

¼ C grated onion

¼ tsp ground black pepper

4 large potatoes, peeled and shredded

3 T butter

1. Combine the eggs, flour, onion, and pepper in a bowl.
  2. Rinse the shredded potatoes and blot dry with a paper towel. Stir into the eff mixture.
  3. Melt 1 ½ T of the butter in a pan. Use medium heat.
  4. Spoon 1/3 of the mixture into the pan. Spread into a circle.
  5. Cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.

Makes 12 pancakes.

Serve with applesauce or sour cream

I like pumpkin pancakes. I've made them from scratch, but I admit I often buy the Trader Joe's mix.

Pancakes have lots of children's books! Pancakes for Breakfast by Tomie de Paola. And, of course, Little Babaji (or one of the other more racially sensitive versions of the story formerly known as Little Black Sambo - I think there are a couple of them). And Pancakes for Supper by Anne Issacs. I know, I know, you can't really include picture books in snippets like a poem or a novel. Oh well... I feel sure there must be literature of pancakes.

I've been doing around the world pancakes with DD and some favorites are:

Swedish pancakes - similar to crepes. Serve with Lingonberry Jam or syrup. This is what you might buy at Ikea for breakfast.

4 eggs

1 c flour

pinch salt

2 T sugar

1 c milk

3 T sour cream

Beat eggs until they start to look fluffy. Add remaining ingredients in mixer. Batter will be runny. Grease griddle with butter or oil. (I do this even if I'm using non-stick.) Add batter to griddle. Brown the pancake on one side. Flip pancake over when bubbles appear on surface. Brown on the other side.

Dutch baby - my niece's favorite. We serve it with either syrup like regular pancakes or sometime I'll get motivated and serve it with sauted cinnamon apples. This is cooked in cast iron in the oven but it still is in the pancake family.

Dutch babies are sooo goooood!!!

For another variation, make your pancake batter (whatever recipe you prefer) and reduce the liquid a bit to make it thicker then mix in some mashed ripe banana. Fry in butter as fritters. A friend from Jamaica taught me to make banana fritters and says they are what she grew up with rather than pancakes.

We love pancakes in this house. I usually make fun shapes once a month. Pumpkins, gingerbread men, snowflakes, snowmen, etc.

Apple Cider Pancakes

Cinnamon Pancakes

Gingerbread Pancakes

Pumpkin Pancakes I serve with chopped cranberries and spiced cream.

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

Banana Foster..using this recipe and adding slices and brown sugar before turning it.

I use this oatmeal one when I'm making pancakes in the morning but it eally fills the kids up

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/oatmealpancakes.htm

But my personal favorite is this spelt one, I do not think thick fluffy pancakes because they soak up the syrup and get mushy. These are a thinner pancake and I love the taste of spelt.

http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/recipes/main-dishes/simple-spelt-pancakes

Here is a pumpkin pancake with apple cider syrup recipe that is very good too.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Pumpkin-Pancakes-2

As far as toppings go, we use either real maple syrup, homemade applesauce or blueberry syrup (equal parts blueberry and sugar and half the amount of water, bring to a boil)

I have a few pancake recipes I like. This first one is from Alton Brown and it is an "instant" pancake recipe. I make up a big batch ahead of time and just get what I need (sort of like box mix. If I don't have buttermilk on hand, I add 1 Tbls vinigar to regular milk):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/instant-pancake-mix-recipe/index.html

This is Rachel Ray's Oatmeal Rasin Cookie Pancake mix. Unbelievably good!!! I use chocolate chips instead of raisins:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/oatmeal-cookie-pancakes-recipe/index.html

I've also made pancakes using apple juice instead of milk and using a box mix. I add cinnamon and nutmeg too.

Youngest dd must have chocolate chips in her pancakes. We have friends who like white chocolate chips and raspberries in theirs (love it when they stay with us!!). I like walnuts and blueberries in my pancakes. Oldest dd prefers apple sauce as a topping if the pancakes are plain. She also likes strawberries in hers with maple syrup.