Menu

Brine the turkey?

I hate the taste. I know that brining has been all the rage for some years. It is true the birds turn out "juicy" when brined, but they also have a very processed (and ovely salty) taste and a texture that is very "unnatural" IMO.

Double thumbs down on brining from me.

Bill

I have been brining my turkeys for a few years now, and we really like them. I have only had one not turn out, and it was a smaller turkey. I normally make the brine the day before, and that evening put the turkey in to soak overnight. I am not sure, but I think that the turkey that did not turn out well was because it was smaller and soaking overnight was too long--It had a funny texture. All my other turkeys have been 20+lbs, and have all been very flavorful and not dry at all. I also roast my turkey upside down.

I just always buy Butterballs. They are pre-brined and so, super, good. Since we rarely eat turkey, I splurge for the little bit extra they cost.

On a Science Channel show we just watched about cooking, texture, and tastes, they gave a big thumbs up for brining and showed the difference between similar turkeys without vs with. If I couldn't go with a Butterball, I'd be brining.

It all depends upon whether you want a juicy turkey or not. To us, dry turkey is the pits.

The first time I ever made a turkey I brined it and it was amazing but I grew up with dry, tasteless turkeys so maybe it was just shocking for me to realize that I liked turkey not over cooked.

Last year I didn't brine it and, in fact, the only turkey I was willing to buy was "pre-brined". But I did use a salt rub for a couple of days using a method from last November's Saveur magazine (can't find the article online--argh). It was AMAZING. For our New Year's Day family get together I made another turkey with the same method and it was also amazing. Not overly salty at all. I also accidentally roasted it upside down on Thanksgiving. I didn't realize it until my mil pointed it out. I was so embarassed but she thought it had a lot to do with why it was so juicy.

I'm not doing any turkeys this year but I'm definitely doing the salt rub/upside down method in the future. Way easier than brining and the results were even better.

I agree with SpyCar--too salty and processed for my taste. I grew up with Butterball being the epitome of the "good" turkey, but now I deliberately do not buy them because of the brining. Our turkeys are just the store brand, and but they do not have solution injected. They aren't dry at all--I think people overcook them. If you go to the turkey websites, you will see the recommended cooking times are much less than we grew up with.

But YMMV! I love America's Test Kitchen recipes--and they always brine, so there ya go.

My DH used to work in a turkey process facility. Pretty much every turkey went out injected with some kind of solution. Butterballs were processed in their facility. It's just a matter of what solution that particular company wanted.

America's Test Kitchen has always recommended brining..but it seemed like too much work for me. This weekend their said to salt it under the skin for 24 hours before baking it. When prepping for the oven mix sea salt with baking powder to get a nice crisp skin. Bake it upside down at 325degrees until it reaching 130 degrees and then flip it over. Turn oven up to 425 degrees and finish baking.

I am thinking this is what we will try this year.

Sara Mouton 's method was to bake at 350 degrees, upside down for half the expected cooking time. Baste every half hour for the first half, flip it over and then forget about it until it's down. Her;'s was 13 or 14 pounds and she expected it to take 3 hours. so upside down and basting for 1/5 hours and the rightside up for the last 1.5 hours.

I'm with Alton--I like brined turkeys. This was an entertaining interview I heard the other night:

http://www.npr.org/2012/11/13/165039668/turkey-tips-from-alton-brown-dont-baste-or-stuff

(And if you don't want to listen to all of it, I thought his best tip was to use a 5-gal drink cooler to brine the turkey. But I don't think I'd be willing to use the cooler for anything else once I contaminate it with turkey juice.)

I'm with Alton--I like brined turkeys. This was an entertaining interview I heard the other night:

http://www.npr.org/2012/11/13/165039668/turkey-tips-from-alton-brown-dont-baste-or-stuff

(And if you don't want to listen to all of it, I thought his best tip was to use a 5-gal drink cooler to brine the turkey. But I don't think I'd be willing to use the cooler for anything else once I contaminate it with turkey juice.)

In the middle of a generally interesting article Alton Brown makes this (truthful) statement:

"Brining definitely adds a lot of juiciness, moistness and it protects against overcooking a great deal because it kind of changes the cellular makeup of the meat and superloads it with moisture,"

The brining DOES change the cellular makeup of the meat. It loads the cells with water and salt. This is exactly what makes brining a BAD MOVE. Unless one enjoys the taste and texture of heavily "processed" foods, which (I must sadly concede) many Americans do.

It is far better IMO not to brine and (instead) to not overcook the bird. A good thermometer is your friend.

Bill

Yep, I brine. I've been brining for maybe six years, and we won't do our turkey any other way. I use an apple cider brine though, that calls for far less salt than most brine recipes. The end result is flavorful, juicy, and I don't find any wierd texture to it either. This is the recipe I follow, using the brine and glaze recipes, but discarding the rest.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cider-Brined-and-Glazed-Turkey-233148

I love that the brined birds also cook more quickly. Following this recipe, my turkey is ready in about 3 hours- and that is a 20+ pound bird. I remember the first year it was done so early, and we couldn't believe it! We still had everything else to prepare for the meal, but we've figured it out over the years and won't do it any other way.

However, now that I think about it, one year I won a free organic, free-range turkey from a VERY expensive purveyor of such things. I brined that one like I usually do, and we all thought that there was an odd texture to the bird. It was almost mushy- especially closer to the bones. It was still tasty, but we were surprised with the texture of this premiere brand of turkey. Since then, we've compared turkeys. I've splurged for the more pricey all-natural turkeys, and we've bought the cheapest of the cheap. Brining (with the exception of that one turkey) seems to even the playing field- they all turn out wonderful. We've even brined a Butterball, which they say not to because it already is brined, and that turkey turned out great too. Maybe we've just been lucky and picked a good brine to start with.

We've brined ours for several years now. My husband used to do wet brining, but the last few years has switched to dry brining because it was easier and worked as well. It doesn't' taste "processed" to us. It is yummy and moist. It is saltier, but not too salty. We've fed it to probably 50 different people and all of them said that my husband's turkeys are some of the best they've ever had, if not the best. As for changing the makeup of the turkey, any cooking is going to do that. So I say, give it a try. In our experience, you are more likely to like it than not. Here's the recipe he's been using for drying brining. For wet brining, we've used Alton Brown's most of the time.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/18/food/la-fo-calcookrec18d-2009nov18

We started brining a few years ago and we love it. By we, I mean my dh because he always cooks the turkey. He follows a basic brining base and then adds his own spices. My mom always made good turkeys by cooking it in a bag, but I prefer the brining. It's tender and juicy and flavorful.

We used a brine once and it was really good. It was less than convenient and the ingredients were quite expensive, but the final product was very yummy. It might depend on which recipe you use?

I'm not sure what you did, but brining is very inexpensive.

You can do this in a bag or out of a bag (the bag is a buck or two): salt water (salt and water). I butter my turkey first, put it in the pan, add salt water (and optional liquid smoke sometimes), put it in the oven to roast. The end.

I've used Alton Brown's brining recipe. The turkey turned out very juicy and everybody raved about it. :) It may not be for everybody, but we love it.

This is what we use when we make a turkey, and EVERYONE (I really do mean everyone) always comments that our turkey tastes wonderful and is the best they have ever had. Definitely not at all too salty, nor does it have weird texture. It is just juicy and delicious. I don't like turkeys that aren't brined now, b/c I find them way to dry and they lack any kind of flavor.

We've brined ours for several years now. My husband used to do wet brining, but the last few years has switched to dry brining because it was easier and worked as well. It doesn't' taste "processed" to us. It is yummy and moist. It is saltier, but not too salty. We've fed it to probably 50 different people and all of them said that my husband's turkeys are some of the best they've ever had, if not the best. As for changing the makeup of the turkey, any cooking is going to do that. So I say, give it a try. In our experience, you are more likely to like it than not. Here's the recipe he's been using for drying brining. For wet brining, we've used Alton Brown's most of the time.

http://articles.lati...ec18d-2009nov18

I also use this method now and the turkey comes out really moist and not salty. You should give it a try, much less messier than having to deal with the brining liquid etc

Best turkey I ever made was wrapped in butter soaked cheese cloth. Mmmmmmmm.

Trying something different this year though... keeps things interesting. :)

Brining turkey is essentially marinating it. Just like with other meats, some really enjoy the juicy tenderness of a marinade and some prefer not having it. There is no one "right" answer. ;)

For me, there are meats I marinate (brisket, london broils, BBQ, sometimes chicken), there are some I use dry rubs on (chicken, pork, sometimes beef), there are some I prefer straight (steak). Turkey, for me, tastes best when it's a Butterball or brined. I don't care for the dryness of it otherwise (even when cooked correctly).

I've brined for over a decade and I highly recommend it. Injection in store bought turkeys is not the same as brining. I've used an old Cook's Illustrated formula, but I did notice that they gone to suggesting a 48 hour brine.

Note: you must find a turkey that has not been store brined or injected. They recommend a smaller bird for flavor around 12 pounds.

A marinade typically involves using an agent (usually in a liquid) that causes tough muscle tissues to break down and soften prior to cooking. Most often this involves using an acid (like a vinegar) but can involve enzymes (like papain). It is also not unusual for a marinade to include oils, herbs, spices, and other flavoring agents. But this is very distinct from "brining."

Brining doesn't work by tenderizing the turkey meat, instead it uses the principle of "osmosis" (remember high school biology lab?) to drive water and salt into the cells of the meat. It does not make the meat "juicy," it just means the meat cells have been altered on a cellular level andares now artificially swollen with saline.

Brining is a classic technique of food processors. They do it because many people like the taste and texture of processed food. But for those who do not enjoy the taste of texture of processed food it is better to avoid brine and simply not overcook the Turkey. It is overcooking that makes Turkeys "dry," but that is easily remedied by using a good thermometer and monitoring internal temps.

Bill

Brining turkey is essentially marinating it. Just like with other meats, some really enjoy the juicy tenderness of a marinade and some prefer not having it. There is no one "right" answer. ;)

For me, there are meats I marinate (brisket, london broils, BBQ, sometimes chicken), there are some I use dry rubs on (chicken, pork, sometimes beef), there are some I prefer straight (steak). Turkey, for me, tastes best when it's a Butterball or brined. I don't care for the dryness of it otherwise (even when cooked correctly).

A marinade typically involves using an agent (usually in a liquid) that causes tough muscle tissues to break down and soften prior to cooking. Most often this involves using an acid (like a vinegar) but can involve enzymes (like papain). It is also not unusual for a marinade to include oils, herbs, spices, and other flavoring agents. But this is very distinct from "brining."

Brining doesn't work by tenderizing the turkey meat, instead it uses the principle of "osmosis" (remember high school biology lab?) to drive water and salt into the cells of the meat. It does not make the meat "juicy," it just means that meat has been altered on a cellular level and is now artificially swollen with saline.

Brining is a classic technique of food processors. They do it because many people like the taste and texture of processed food. But for those who do not enjoy the taste of texture of processed food it is better to avoid brine and simply not overcook the Turkey. It is overcooking that makes Turkeys "dry," but that is easily remedied by using a good thermometer and monitoring internal temps.

Bill

I've used Alton Brown's brining recipe. The turkey turned out very juicy and everybody raved about it. :) It may not be for everybody, but we love it.

Is so used the Alton Brown recipe for the first time last year and everyone loved it. It was so juicy!

The year we brined ours, we also used Alton Brown's recipe and it was delicious. My dh is real big into trying new things every year, so we haven't had one since, but it was delish!

Really the key to a good turkey is not overcooking it. A couple of my "tricks" are to use a good thermometer, and when it gets towards the desired temperature (I go for 165), I cut the legs away from the body and cover the breast with foil. That way the legs cook as quickly as the breast. I don't care about presentation so no big deal if the legs don't look pretty. The pop up timer things are set to pop up from 180 to 190 and that's just way too overdone. I always rip the timer out.

:iagree:

Those pop-up timers are the worst things that ever happened to cooking turkey. By the time they trigger the meat is over-cooked. Using a good thermometer and not letting the internal temp get too high is the key to a really good turkey. If one doesn't over-cook the turkey brining is unnecessary.

Bill

I hate the taste. I know that brining has been all the rage for some years. It is true the birds turn out "juicy" when brined, but they also have a very processed (and ovely salty) taste and a texture that is very "unnatural" IMO.

Bill

If you start with an already salted, already injected bird, of course that would be the case. I brined two wild turkeys this week, and they were FABULOUS. Wild turkey is quite lean and tends to be dry, so the brining helps immensely. Last night I put a store turkey in to brine. It's organic I think, from a specialty farm, certainly not injected, and it will benefit from brining. In that case it just brings in some nice clovey, warm flavors. Because the bird is so fatty, it will be nice meat to start with. The brining just takes it over the top.

But as far as brining just a regular, run of the meal, injected turkey, yeah that's going to be overkill. And I think if you read the fine print on the cooking shows with people like Alton Brown (whose recipe I use), they start with organic or untreated birds. That's why it works.

As far as recipes, I use the Alton Brown brine recipe with the Curtis Aikens vege stock recipe here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/curtis-aikens/basic-vegetable-stock-recipe/index.html So I sort of combine them. I roast the veges for the stock, put into a pot with the ingredients for the stock AND the ingredients for the brine, boil the whole thing and simmer an hour, then let cool. Once it's very cold (ice if necessary) I pour over the bird. Then add water to fill the rest of the container. I've done my brining in roasting bags, which is fine. This year I brined the birds directly in my large, 20 qt. electric hamilton beach roaster, and that's fine too. Then you just dump the whole thing out and swish when you're ready to roast.

BTW, I really like my electric roast for cooking the birds. You crank it up as high as it will go, let it get screaming hot, then put the bird in for an hour. Then without touching the lid turn it down to a more normal temp. Cook till done. Insanely perfect, insanely fast, insanely easy.

Last year I slathered my birds with the Ina Garten perfect roast turkey stuff (herbs and butter). It was good but not essential. More essential is good gravy. This year I made stock off my two other birds and saved it to use to make noodles and gravy for Thanksgiving. I cooked the neck last night to make stock, and that will probably partly go in the stuffing.

We go all out at Thanksgiving, but we start early and pace ourselves. Everything is on a spreadsheet, hehe. :D

If you start with an already salted, already injected bird, of course that would be the case. I brined two wild turkeys this week, and they were FABULOUS. Wild turkey is quite lean and tends to be dry, so the brining helps immensely. Last night I put a store turkey in to brine. It's organic I think, from a specialty farm, certainly not injected, and it will benefit from brining. In that case it just brings in some nice clovey, warm flavors. Because the bird is so fatty, it will be nice meat to start with. The brining just takes it over the top

The last year I brined (I change up every year), it was with a maple/cider concoction. Very tasty.

The last year I brined (I change up every year), it was with a maple/cider concoction. Very tasty.

You know that sounds really good! I looked at the recipe someone else linked that uses cider. It was $7 a gallon this year, ouch, so I just couldn't do that. But it certainly would make for a good turkey, wowsers.

Brining doesn't work by tenderizing the turkey meat, instead it uses the principle of "osmosis" (remember high school biology lab?) to drive water and salt into the cells of the meat. It does not make the meat "juicy," it just means that meat has been altered on a cellular level and is now artificially swollen with saline.

Bill

I didn't bother to marinate my turkey and it turned out fine with a slow bake (in a bag) and a thermometer. (We celebrated on Saturday.) However, there is now a part of me that wants to do it just to annoy Bill :-D

P.S. How DO you work the smileys on an iPad?

If you start with an already salted, already injected bird, of course that would be the case. I brined two wild turkeys this week, and they were FABULOUS. Wild turkey is quite lean and tends to be dry, so the brining helps immensely. Last night I put a store turkey in to brine. It's organic I think, from a specialty farm, certainly not injected, and it will benefit from brining. In that case it just brings in some nice clovey, warm flavors. Because the bird is so fatty, it will be nice meat to start with. The brining just takes it over the top.

But as far as brining just a regular, run of the meal, injected turkey, yeah that's going to be overkill. And I think if you read the fine print on the cooking shows with people like Alton Brown (whose recipe I use), they start with organic or untreated birds. That's why it works.

As far as recipes, I use the Alton Brown brine recipe with the Curtis Aikens vege stock recipe here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/curtis-aikens/basic-vegetable-stock-recipe/index.html So I sort of combine them. I roast the veges for the stock, put into a pot with the ingredients for the stock AND the ingredients for the brine, boil the whole thing and simmer an hour, then let cool. Once it's very cold (ice if necessary) I pour over the bird. Then add water to fill the rest of the container. I've done my brining in roasting bags, which is fine. This year I brined the birds directly in my large, 20 qt. electric hamilton beach roaster, and that's fine too. Then you just dump the whole thing out and swish when you're ready to roast.

BTW, I really like my electric roast for cooking the birds. You crank it up as high as it will go, let it get screaming hot, then put the bird in for an hour. Then without touching the lid turn it down to a more normal temp. Cook till done. Insanely perfect, insanely fast, insanely easy.

Last year I slathered my birds with the Ina Garten perfect roast turkey stuff (herbs and butter). It was good but not essential. More essential is good gravy. This year I made stock off my two other birds and saved it to use to make noodles and gravy for Thanksgiving. I cooked the neck last night to make stock, and that will probably partly go in the stuffing.

We go all out at Thanksgiving, but we start early and pace ourselves. Everything is on a spreadsheet, hehe. :D

Were I doing a Wild Turkey, I'd "spatchcock" it (aka "butterfly") so it would cook evenly and quickly.

Personally, I would not brine one because I feel it ruins the natural taste and texture. I would alter the cooking method to accord with the lower fat nature of Wild Turkey.

But that's just me :D

Bill

Were I doing a Wild Turkey, I'd "spatchcock" it (aka "butterfly") so it would cook evenly and quickly.

Personally, I would not brine one because I feel it ruins the natural taste and texture. I would alter the cooking method to accord with the lower fat nature of Wild Turkey.

But that's just me :D

Bill

But how does marinating not alter taste and texture? Or adding seasonings to food for that matter?

We use organic turkeys, and the brining really helps. My husband was going to try salt-brining this year, but if it takes 3 days o.O it's just not going to happen, as the turkeys haven't thawed. We'll be smoking one, and cooking the other on the rotisserie. Smaller birds take much less time to brine (for example, with a chicken, we stick it in the brine before we leave for church, and it's done when we get home, ready for the spit), so really pay attention, as over-brining will ruin the meat completely. If the brine recipe you use makes the end result too salty, reduce the amount of salt. Add whatever seasonings to the brine you like...we always rub our turkeys with a garlic-infused olive oil, and sprinkle spices all over the top before cooking it on the spit. Sooo....yummy...

But how does marinating not alter taste and texture? Or adding seasonings to food for that matter?

One, I think marinating is generally over-rated. But I see a world of difference between using seasonings and using osmosis to drive saline into the cells of turkey. To me brining gives the meat a very artificial and processed taste.

Two, I don't use papain or other meat tenderizers either. Rather I use cooking techniques (like low slow braising) to deal with tough cuts of meat than can transform them into delectable treats.

Bill (who is having some homemade Menudo for lunch)

I brined one once just to see what all the fuss was about. Meh. I did not grow up with dry turkey, and it isn't dry when I make it. If the purpose of brining is to have juicy, flavorful turkey, I don't find it necessary. Just don't overcook it and you'll have juicy, flavorful turkey.

I have been buying Publix brand fresh turkeys for years and they're always juicy and delicious.

Bill

I'm all for brining, there are two methods out there, dry and wet brining. Cooksillustrated has a GREAT recipe for brining a turkey, if it's done right, there is no salty or processed taste, but rather a moist and well seasoned flavour...follow directions well though. Every time I've done it right, it's the best turkey ever. I would never do it any other way again. I use the dry brining method for my chickens, yum!

But for those who do not enjoy the taste of texture of processed food it is better to avoid brine and simply not overcook the Turkey. It is overcooking that makes Turkeys "dry," but that is easily remedied by using a good thermometer and monitoring internal temps.

One, I think marinating is generally over-rated.

But I see a world of difference between using seasonings and using osmosis to drive saline into the cells of turkey. To me brining gives the meat a very artificial and processed taste.

Two, I don't use papain or other meat tenderizers either. Rather I use cooking techniques (like low slow braising) to deal with tough cuts of meat than can transform them into delectable treats.

First, I disagree most with what I have bolded above. Turkey breast is often over done because in order to bring the leg and thigh meat up to a safe temperature the breast will often reach way too high. A simple thermometer and temping the turkey won't solve this problem, nor will either slow or fast cooking. However flattening the turkey will help, and I've recently read that Harold McGee gets his turkey out an hour before oven time and put an ice pack on the breast to reduce its initial oven temperature to colder than the legs and thighs.

I've got dietary restrictions in play this year so I'm going to try to ice pack instead of brining.

Cook's Illustrated does agree with you on marinating and on adding seasonings to the brine. They did tests and seasonings in the brine don't add to the flavor so you can skip the apple cider without hesitation. They have said that sauces added either during cooking or after are the much smarter way to go. If you like reduce a cup or so of apple cider by 1/2 or more and then smear the sticky stuff under the skin just before baking that will probably brown up the breast for you (although I would not use a hot oven if I did the sugar could burn).

First, I disagree most with what I have bolded above. Turkey breast is often over done because in order to bring the leg and thigh meat up to a safe temperature the breast will often reach way too high. A simple thermometer and temping the turkey won't solve this problem, nor will either slow or fast cooking. However flattening the turkey will help, and I've recently read that Harold McGee gets his turkey out an hour before oven time and put an ice pack on the breast to reduce its initial oven temperature to colder than the legs and thighs.

I've got dietary restrictions in play this year so I'm going to try to ice pack instead of brining.

Cook's Illustrated does agree with you on marinating and on adding seasonings to the brine. They did tests and seasonings in the brine don't add to the flavor so you can skip the apple cider without hesitation. They have said that sauces added either during cooking or after are the much smarter way to go. If you like reduce a cup or so of apple cider by 1/2 or more and then smear the sticky stuff under the skin just before baking that will probably brown up the breast for you (although I would not use a hot oven if I did the sugar could burn).

If you pull the bird when the breast temp hits 155 and then put it into an ice chest to rest the internal temp will continue to rise to 160-165, which is safe and perfect. The breast will be tender and the dark meat will be succulent.

There is no reason to brine unless one is intent on over-cooking turkey and/or one likes the taste of salty processed food.

But properly cooked unbrined turkey is much better tasting IMO.

Bill