Menu

When you hear the word "mature"...

When I hear the word “matureâ€� I think:  

1. 1. When I hear the word â??matureâ?� I think:

• Older, but still active (and I'm younger than 40)
    • Older, but still active (and I'm older than 40)
    • Racy, as in "not okay for kids" (and I'm younger than 40)
    • Racy, as in "not okay for kids" (and I'm older than 40)

I had to pick one but I could have picked both over 40 answers. The word

"mature" has multiple meanings. I used it yesterday in a way not related to the above options.

:iagree:

(only it would have been the under 40 options for me)

It's all about context. Someone saying that something is intended for mature audiences doesn't mean the same to me as someone saying that so and so is mature.

Another "context," but probably first impulse would be toward "serious-minded" (especially relative to age when it comes to children) rather than leaping to "adult content."

Bill (old)

:iagree:, this is my feeling on the word as well. :D

(But I am not old--yet!:D)

Depends on the context, but I more often hear it used in relation to age (either as a euphemism for "old" or in reference to a child who is acting older than his/her chronological age).

I more often hear the terms "adult", "risque", or "provocative" rather than "mature" when it comes to media content.

In that case I'd assume it meant something in the e-mail wasn't suitable for kids.

If the subject line said "mature content" then it would be not suitable for kids

If the subject line said something like "exercise for mature adults" then it would mean that it was for older adults.

If the subject line said something like "class for mature Christians" then it would mean that it was for people with a certain amount of spiritual growth and experience.

If was ambiguous I would wait to be alone to open it.

If the subject line said "mature content" then it would be not suitable for kids

If the subject line said something like "exercise for mature adults" then it would mean that it was for older adults.

If the subject line said something like "class for mature Christians" then it would mean that it was for people with a certain amount of spiritual growth and experience.

If was ambiguous I would wait to be alone to open it.

:iagree: If it wasn't from someone I know, I would delete it.

I would pick both, dependent upon context. I would also use it to describe behavior of someone not older, for instance my son. I've told him that was a mature decision or behavior, meaning it was appropriate, correct behavior, not goofy adolescent.

I agree. It has a lot of different meanings dependent on context. And I'm over 40yo.

A side funny. Dh runs a festival and in the past they've shown late-night movies after the main concert. The movies start at 10pm and are Christian, but some are geared more for adults (ex: The End of the Spear: missionaries murdered by natives). So this past festival they decided to show an early movie (8pm) in one of the venues so that kids could watch. They were all Veggie Tales type movies. So as I was discussing the various movies with some of the staff, we all found ourselves referring to the films to be shown at 10pm as the "adult movies" without thinking about the more common use for that term. Ooops. It's all about context.

I think -- "Verb: to get older, to become adult or move towards becoming an adult." If I had to think adjective, I'd tend to think, "Not a child, physically adult, no longer juvenile, not behaving in a juvenile fashion."

To get the meanings you are looking for I'd need helper words. If someone is called "mature adult" or perhaps a "mature group" -- while semantically, that's redundant, I'd think it meant "senior citizen" or similar. If something is called "mature content" or similar (like "It was a mature movie.") I'd consider it to mean "racy" (or violent, or otherwise not suitable for kids or young teens).

Cat food for "mature cats" confuses me. Does it mean "beyond kitten-hood" or "senior years"? (It's not a very useful euphemism.)

It depends on the context. When discussing a person, I assume "mature" means older and still active. (Although, now that I am exactly 40, I assume it means "older than me." :D) When discussing media of any kind, I assume "mature" means "not for children."

:iagree: It depends on the context no matter what your age is.

:iagree: Over 40.

Mature person: someone who shows wisdom in his/her actions, whatever the age

Mature audience: Hmm. Do I want to watch it?

Mature wine? Mmm. Yes please!

Mature on video game: NO!

etc.