Menu

What's for dinner 10/9?

Wow, haven't seen dinner plans in a while.

What are you having?

I am about to put some chicken thighs and a bunch of onions, peppers and seasonings in the crock pot. I am so happy to have a crock pot! Mine busted a while back, and I borrowed my mom's.

And with it I am making some rice.

For dessert I am making some custard with a roasted butternut squash

Yay for cool weather food!

Chicken Marsala with spaghetti squash, garlic roasted broccoli and homemade GF garlic bread.

Last night was potato pancakes, curried yellow split pea and lentil soup and glazed roasted carrots. Looking forwards to that left over soup all week for lunch. I love fall and the return of hot soups!

still not cool enough for stews and thick soups, but they sound good!

just finished parboiling thighs in some liquid smoke water, and will be grilling for BBQ sticky chicken

along with

coleslaw (almost done, shredded cabbage and carrots) getting ready to make the gooey yummy stuff!

and

Baked beans (thank you for cans you just open)

will have some Mandarin oranges on the side for surprise!

We're having tilapia with pineapples, black beans and rice because our map work's on Costa Rica this week. We're going to watch The Blue Butterfly with it. I hope it's good! :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ingrid-hoffmann/baked-costa-rican-style-tilapia-with-pineapples-black-beans-and-rice-recipe/index.html

The rest of the week will be a bit more boring:

Wednesday - Herbed greens with apples, celery, chicken, cheddar, pecans and an apple vinaigrette

Thursday - Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and salted buttery peas. Mmmm.

Friday - Crock pot cream cheese chicken chili with chips.

Last night I roasted a 15 lb turkey (one of those $5 turkeys that has been in my freezer for a year.) Which means....

Tonight will be turkey tacos or enchiladas

Wednesday night will be turkey noodle soup, white turkey chili, or white bean, turkey & rosemary soup (as you can see I am undecided)

Thursday will be pasta with turkey, smoked sausage & caramelized onions

Friday will be pizza. Every Friday I make 2 pizzas. This week one will be cheese or cheese & veggies the other will be topped with either bbq turkey or alfredo turkey.

As you can see our limited budget makes for a very limited menu. Usually I cook a big protein item on Monday and Tuesday and then alternate the leftovers, but the turkey was a very big protein item.

Amber in SJ

Barbequed chicken, rice, a vegetable, a salad. For dessert: Yellow cake with chocolate frosting, to celebrate DS1 finally getting his driver's license today. It is his favorite cake.

That is surely a reason for cake!! Congrats to him!

Barbequed chicken, rice, a vegetable, a salad. For dessert: Yellow cake with chocolate frosting, to celebrate DS1 finally getting his driver's license today. It is his favorite cake.

Nice!

I have two crockpots going -- one has roast pork and sauerkraut, the other is chicken soup. Not sure yet which we're going to end up with tonight. I have mashed potatoes ready for the pork, and will make baked potatoes if we do soup. Either way, we'll have green salad as a side, and spice cake for dessert.