Menu

If you have curly/dry/frizzy/fuzzy/kinky hair, do you have a hair product you LOVE?

I feel like I've been round and round trying to find a product for my hair (which, unfortunately, is no longer thick, and not even as curly as it used to be, but definitely has a dry/kinky/frizzy/scraggly quality to it.

Right now I'm using the "Be Curly" line from Aveda, but I'm not sure it's worth the expense. I remember years ago using FrizzEase, but I stopped because I read the silicone was bad for your hair.

Any styling products that you swear by, especially for making your hair more smooth and making a real curl, and not just fuzz???

I use aveda confixor when my hair is wet and then take sections and twist my hair into bigger curls. Sometimes I let it dry naturally and then flip my head and shake out all the big curls or I will use a diffuser and flip my head over. I use frizz ease hairspray. I like the be curly stuff that comes in a small pump (its creamy), but so expensive. Trying to stick with just confixor right now. I think twisting my hair is the key to less frizzies though.

http://www.amazon.com/Mizani-Textures-Moisture-Stretch-Extending/dp/B003BK9OCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349381647&sr=8-1&keywords=mizanni+moisture+stretch

My biracial daughter has really tight spiral curls down to her lower back. This is one of the products that I found as a leave in conditioner for her. Her hair isn't kinky though. It is more really curly and somewhat frizzy, but no kink. Just to be clear, my dd14's hair, if left natural, would grow wide as it dries, turning frizzy. With this stuff, her curls stay crisp, shiny, and vertical. My daughter's hair is gorgeous. Oh, and she uses this stuff when she swims 2 hours a day during the summer for swim team in a super chlorinated. Her hair does not break or anything.

I, however, have kinky, really tight curls. And that product above allows me to wear my hair really short and natural. It dries sort of like a mousse (sp?) with crisp curls. I wash my hair, wet it, and put some of this stuff in it and let it air dry. I love it. I get a natural, soft, curly/frizzy afro.

My daughter and I have drastically different hair and it works for both of us.

HTH

Btw, I buy this stuff at WalMart for about 20.00 a bottle. Imagine my surprise when I found it on Amazon for 11. Obviously I really like it.

And for the reviews, this stuff doesn't flake if rubbed in. My hair is black and my daughter has dark hair too. We wouldn't use if it flaked.

Edited by Kimber

I use Aquage Curl Defining Gel. After many years of trying different products, this one works best. I can't do "no-poo" because I get a terrible, stinky scalp condition if I do not shampoo and scrub my scalp every day. So, I use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner from Burt's Bees. I comb the conditioner through my hair in the shower and rinse. I towel squeeze my hair as I am drying off, NEVER fluffing it. I wrap my head in a towel as I finish the rest of my morning routine. Then, after removing the towel, I apply the Defining Gel, comb through and let it dry. I am very careful not to touch it or disturb it. If I need it dry sooner, I use a diffuser and am careful not to disturb the curls or let the hair blow around to prevent frizzing. After it is dry, if my hair seems a little bit fuzzy, I either moisturize my hands and smooth my hair with the extra or I use Aquage curl defining creme to cut the frizz. If it is really humid out, I might use a strong hold hair spray. If I have been out in the wind, I wet my hands down and smooth the curl to refresh the style and cut the frizz.

We love Kinky Curly here--especially the styling gel! and it smells delish! Excellent at taming frizzies and defining curls without getting to crunchy (unless of course you use a lot of the product). I can touch up DD's curly-girl hair with a misting or damp fingers and a bit of this product on finger tips and it looks like she just came out styled. Did I mention it smells so good! Like mangoes. :D

My hair is all of the above in your title. I have fought it for years, and this is the best combo that I have come up with so far.

Pureology shampoo & conditioner. I can't remember which kind, but they are in light purple bottles. I LOVE it! My hair is no longer dry/straw looking. It is quite expensive, but very concentrated so I only use a tiny bit of both, and it lasts a long time.

Kenra styling mousse. Love this too.

I air dry it 90% of the time.

Every once and awhile I have to use a clarifying for buildup due to Pureology being sulfate free. I wash everyday because I get oily easily.

I swear the Pureology has saved my hair! It looks so much healthier.

Dd LOVES JessiCurl products. Her favorite is Too Shea extra moisturizing conditioner. She also likes Neutrogena Triple Moisture products. She has to precondition with the Neutrogena condioner, wash with Neutrogena shampoo, then use the JessiCurl as a last step. She does not use any additional product. If her hair needs touching up later in the day, she just mists it with plain water. Sometimes she will put a bit of Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave in Conditioner in the mister, but not usually (it really depends upon the weather).

She has tried a ton of products over the years and this combo seems to really work for her. Her hair has never looked better!

I love Kinky Curly too and recommend reading the book Curly Girl. You can also read on the forums at NaturallyCurly.com. That was incredibly helpful for me dealing with my coarse, frizzy, wavy hair and my middle dd's fine, thick, curly hair. We've used the same system on my oldest dd's straight, super thick hair and have discovered its actually quite curly.

The absolute best thing we did for our hair is to stop using shampoo. We use Suave Coconut conditioner to wash our hair and then use Tressemme naturals conditioner to condition it. My hair is much less oily than it was before and less frizzy and coarse as well.

:lurk5:

I had it all figured out when I was in college, and then I moved to the South...

That's a good point. I remember thinking the prettiest my hair ever looked was when we vacationed in Yellowstone. Kind of sad to think I would be a prettier person if we only lived in another part of the country! :crying:

You need to start with a decent shampoo and conditioner. I use Oiudad's. I also use Ouidad's curling gel or the spray gel from JessiCurl. Once a week I do a deep conditioning treatment. The one I have right now is Natural Macadamia Nut's Deep Conditioning Hair Masque.

And the best my hair ever looked was when we lived in the middle of the desert. It was worst in Virginia.

My dd has very curly but Caucasian hair which dries easily.

We read Curly Girl and I took some ideas but couldn't last with that method.

My dd conditions as a shampoo 5x per week, then rinses and conditions as normal.

She only uses shampoo 2x per week.

In the morning, I wet her head in the tub, spray leave in conditioner and then gel it with LA Looks Sport Gel. It looks wonderful.

Using lots of conditioner and less shampooing seems to do the trick. Also not yanking on the hair, as broken hair is frizzy.

This is a simple, inexpensive solution which works for her.

Diva curl. Without it it looks like someone stuck a dirty and neglected mop on my head.

I use the no poo, and I forge the exact name of the conditioner.....

the two products I use are Mister right which is a refresher for when you get any frizz, and DevaCurl B'Leave-in after washing when wet.

Lately, my dd and I use:

http://www.amazon.com/AG-Hair-Fast-Food-33-8/dp/B000N2LV3K

I got a bunch of it at Beauty Brands' annual liter sale for $12.98 ea.

I rarely 'poo. I use a cheap conditioner to comb through in shower (on sale cheap ones, often a VO5). I use a better conditioner after the comb through.

I use a leave in moisturizer, and sometimes I use an additional product.

I seem to have to switch products up periodically; it is as if my hair stops responding to them.

On very budget tight times, I use the Sauve Curl mouse in the white/green bottle.

I use Trader Joe's tea tree conditioner and no shampoo ever. I just wash with the conditioner. I don't towel dry except to make sure I'm not dripping. When my hair is combed and soaping wet, I use Deva Curls gel. As long as I don't touch it after it dries, it looks nice.

It looks best when I put alligator clips at the roots to give it some lift while drying, but I rarely bother. If I want longer, looser curls, I use hot rollers, but they're pointless if it's raining.

My hair is very curly, but also very fine. It also gets remarkably dry. It's amazing that I'm not bald with the amount of hair I lose in the shower :glare:

For many years now I have been spraying my hair with Paul Mitchell hair spray while it is still wet. Then I scrunch it in and dry it. It has always done a great job of keeping my hair from getting frizzy. It also makes it just a bit curlier, that and also drying it with a defuser.

We also use TJ's Tea Tree Oil Conditioner on DD's very kinky AA hair. We go with the no poo method normally, but if DD goes swimming or gets something messy in her hair, we use the Tea Tree Oil shampoo.

My favorite thing to use to comb her hair out is the Kakakiki Komb Brush. We use it when her hair is very wet and slicked up with plenty of conditioner, so there isn't any damage to her hair. It is the only brush I have found to actually get the loose, dead hair untangled from her healthy hair, so she doesn't get awful snarls any more.

CurlMart.com has oodles of products and reviews based on curl type, so you may be able to get some ideas before you buy anything new.

I hope you find what works best for you!

We love Kinky Curly here--especially the styling gel! and it smells delish! Excellent at taming frizzies and defining curls without getting to crunchy (unless of course you use a lot of the product). I can touch up DD's curly-girl hair with a misting or damp fingers and a bit of this product on finger tips and it looks like she just came out styled. Did I mention it smells so good! Like mangoes. :D

I LOVE Kinky Curly! I've been using for just over a month now and I'm amazed at how much healthier and curlier my hair looks and feels. The all natural ingredients make it well worth the extra expense, and I found that I really don't go through it as quickly as I thought I would. A little bit definitely goes a long way.

I wash 2x week, condition every other day (rinsed out and more added as a leave in), and the curling gel a couple times a week when I want it to be more defined. I haven't tried the spray mist or the oil yet, so I can't speak to how well they work. I only use cut-up t-shirts to dry my hair, and even that is really more of a wrap just to keep the drips off my back.

I use this for dd

http://www.mixedchicks.net/

It is awesome and works better than anything else we've tried. We used to order online but now they sell it at Target near us which saves on shipping.

Eta: we just use the adult products. Dd likes the way it smells better and the bottles are a little bigger.

Edited by acurtis75@yahoo.com

Jenny, I posted a similar question here and got lots of very helpful suggestions.

Coffeefreak's suggestions have been the best for me so far - Pureology Shampoo & Moroccan Oil. I've tried so many things over the years :banghead:.

Here's what she wrote on the thread:

Combine it with Pureology Shampoo and you've got a winner! DON'T use ANYTHING with sulfates. No Suave, no Walmart shampoo, not even Biologe.

Pureology is expensive compared to the grocery store shampoos and conditioners, but, it works whereas the others don't. It will also last longer because it's super thick, you don't have to use as much. I buy new shampoo/conditioner every 4-5 months. If I use the grocery store brands, it's more often.

Everyone is always asking me what I use on my hair, where I get it cut, but when I tell them, they're appalled by how much I pay. I have tried EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) and Pureology with Moroccan Oil is the only thing that works for my hair. When I can't spend as much (DH absolutely will not let our girls use Pureology until they get a job), I use Biologe by Matrix, but it will very quickly dry out your hair after the first couple of uses because of the sulfates. That's the trick, you have to buy shampoo without sulfates. I would recommend you try the Pureology in the purple bottle (Hydrate). I like the purple shampoo and the green conditioner. Some people like the green REPAIR shampoo, but I don't. It weighs down my hair too much. You might want to buy the travel sizes and experiment with what you'd like. My youngest liked the Super smooth, but I didn't. It didn't get rid of that course texture you're talking about.

Coffeefreak's suggestions have been the best for me so far - Pureology Shampoo & Moroccan Oil. I've tried so many things over the years :banghead:.

Here's what she wrote on the thread:

Combine it with Pureology Shampoo and you've got a winner! DON'T use ANYTHING with sulfates. No Suave, no Walmart shampoo, not even Biologe.

When you guys say "combine pureology shampoo and moroccan oil ... do you mean mix the oil into the shampoo? Mix it into the conditioner? Both? And which oil? I see several products on website.

Also, what do you use as a styling/gel product? Or is that when you put in the oil?

Thanks! I want to make sure I do it right.

Coconut Oil, and not washing with shampoo that often. I use Aveeno shampoo right now WHEN I do shampoo.

I rub a small amount of coconut oil into my hair after I get out of the shower. It tames the frizzies, makes it soft, and conditions it. I have extremely dry frizzy hair, so it just soaks it right up. My dds with straight shiney hair look like grease balls if I put it in their hair...so it won't work for everyone.

Dd has VERY kinky, curly hair! We don't have funds for salon quality products, so we've run full circle finding something that works.

Pantene Curly products (shampoo / conditioner / mouse) are AWESOME!!!!! Use a diffuser to keep the frizz down and she looks beautiful with bouncy curls alot of women pay BIG money to get :)

When you guys say "combine pureology shampoo and moroccan oil ... do you mean mix the oil into the shampoo? Mix it into the conditioner? Both?

No. I think she means to use them separately. Wash with the shampoo & conditioner. Then use the Moroccan Oil. At least that's what I do anyway. Moroccan Oil can be used on wet or dry hair. Mind you, I'm quite a newbie with these products. A very satisfied newbie so far. :)

I do want to add that I wash my hair less often than I used to. That also seems to help.

Also, what do you use as a styling/gel product? Or is that when you put in the oil?

I don't use any other styling product or gel. Just the oil. This is the one I use. You can get a smaller size. In the thread that I linked, she gave links to the ones she suggested.

morrocanoiltreat1_1___85009.jpg

HTH. :)

I tried Moroccan oil, and it made my hair even more frizzy. I have fine hair but lots of it.

No. I think she means to use them separately. Wash with the shampoo & conditioner. Then use the Moroccan Oil. At least that's what I do anyway. Moroccan Oil can be used on wet or dry hair. Mind you, I'm quite a newbie with these products. A very satisfied newbie so far. :)

I do want to add that I wash my hair less often than I used to. That also seems to help.

I don't use any other styling product or gel. Just the oil. This is the one I use. You can get a smaller size. In the thread that I linked, she gave links to the ones she suggested.

morrocanoiltreat1_1___85009.jpg

HTH. :)

My hair is 3B/C, soft with pencil size curls and I use Carol's Daughter hair balm, elixir and hair milk for styling. I wash and poo with regular stuff and do periodic deep conditioning. My daughter has 4B/C hair: soft with super tight coils, very fragile. We generally use the no poo method with her and wash 2ce a month with Carol's daughter hair milk conditioning treatment. We style her hair with hair honey, Cantu shea butter hair/scalp oil (similar to Carol's daughter hair balm) and/or Carol's Daughter hair milk.

Edited by Sneezyone

:iagree:

I was really hoping this would help my hair, but it made it much worse. I also have fine, curly hair and it just didn't work for me at all.

Fortunately, I was able to return it.

I have read that fine curly hair has different needs than coarser curly hair. So many things that work for others do not work on my hair. Those serums and anti-frizz sprays are disastrous. I have spent so much money thinking I can find something better than what I am using though I am happy with the results. I never do.

I forgot the number/letter combo of my curls, but I do think it's helpful to include in this discussion a description or photo of our curls. Length also affects things, I think. Anyone in for some photo comparisons of curl types?

Right now, the front of my hair is shorter than the back which is to my bra strap. I typically pull the front up in a barrette because it annoys me when it's flopping around and because after pushing it out of my face throughout the day, it gets wilder.

First is down; second is up. First was indoors; second was outdoors on a humid, drizzly day.

I forgot the number/letter combo of my curls, but I do think it's helpful to include in this discussion a description or photo of our curls. Length also affects things, I think. Anyone in for some photo comparisons of curl types?

Right now, the front of my hair is shorter than the back which is to my bra strap. I typically pull the front up in a barrette because it annoys me when it's flopping around and because after pushing it out of my face throughout the day, it gets wilder.

First is down; second is up. First was indoors; second was outdoors on a humid, drizzly day.

Hmm, I would consider your hair 3A/B Here's a linky on curl types...

http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

Ha! Using that link, I'm 3A when it's dry and 3B when it rains :D

Today I performed, and I put my hair in hot rollers because it gives me big, loose curls and it looks much longer. Tomorrow we do the same set, at the same festival, but the forecast calls for rain. Hot rollers are no match for rain. I'd be wasting my time. I'll just go on stage rocking the Little Orphan Annie 'fro because my hair will be 8 inches shorter tomorrow :glare:

I tried all kind of stuff for the red mop that is my hair. For me using Aussie brand moist conditioner (no shampoo), finger comb after blotting dry, then put in aussie leave in conditioner foam/ mousse stuff and scrunch. Then I Do Not Touch It. It air dries. Eventually. This works better for me than expensive stuff. YMMV

This is very interesting, but I can't figure out my type. :confused: I don't think I'm any of them. I'm definitely one of the type 2s. Probably a 2A, but not quite. My hair is coarse and some of what they describe is not me. I don't really have curls - just frizz and coarseness. The older I get, the more that problem is exacerbated. Plus, I live in a very humid climate.

This is very interesting, but I can't figure out my type. :confused: I don't think I'm any of them. I'm definitely one of the type 2s. Probably a 2A, but not quite. My hair is coarse and some of what they describe is not me. I don't really have curls - just frizz and coarseness. The older I get, the more that problem is exacerbated. Plus, I live in a very humid climate.

I used to think that was my hair until I went no poo. Then all of a sudden I had spiral curls.

Hmm, I would consider your hair 3A/B Here's a linky on curl types...

http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

Hmm...that's really interesting. I'd say mine looks more like 2C with a lean towards 2B except they described 2C as being course and likely to frizz. That's not me. The description of 2B is more accurate but looks more C-ish. Confusing enough? LOL

I bought the really small bottles of the Pureology (sp?) shampoo and conditioner tonight at Ulta and am looking forward to trying them in the morning. I bought a new hair dryer yesterday that came with its own diffuser that goes on it. That made a really great difference this morning compared to the separate diffuser I had attempted to use with my old dryer. Much better.

I feel like my "curly" hair looks more like the curls of a hairdo from the 80's when we would have said someone was due for a new perm; not really curly but not straight; just annoyingly somewhere in the awkward middle. :)

Edited: see my picture? Weirdly curls/waves/messy. My gracious husband who claims to love it says it has a sexy, messy, tumbled look. ;) LOL

Edited by PinkInTheBlue