Menu

Don't even know how to title this post

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't post this in my reply last night, but wanted to let you and others know that ovarian cancer is NOT detected by a pap. I haven't read all the replies but thought I had came across a few saying they haven't done this in a long time and really needed to etc....

There are symptoms that you can be aware of, such as...bloating that last more than two weeks, abdominal pain & discomfort, lower back pain, feeling of fullness quickly after eating and a couple more that I can't remember.

:grouphug: for you again and your family during this.

Not being able to fully eliminate, particularly movement of the bowels. :(

Oh, my, I am so sorry you're having to go through this illness. I began to cry reading your post. I'm glad you have family and friends for support. I will send you my prayers often as you battle this disease.

And about that doctor, definitely get your records first, talk to a malpractice lawyer, and regardless of direction make sure that man knows the damage his stupidity has caused.

Prayers and :grouphug:. So much for you to take in so suddenly. While I don't know you personally, I sense a very strong woman in your post, one who can gather up the strength to accept these changes and move on to a new life. My prayers for strength are with you.:grouphug:

I didn't post this in my reply last night, but wanted to let you and others know that ovarian cancer is NOT detected by a pap. I haven't read all the replies but thought I had came across a few saying they haven't done this in a long time and really needed to etc....

There are symptoms that you can be aware of, such as...bloating that last more than two weeks, abdominal pain & discomfort, lower back pain, feeling of fullness quickly after eating and a couple more that I can't remember.

:grouphug: for you again and your family during this.

Can I ask if the reason they palpate the ovaries when they do an internal exam is to look for something like a mass? I know when I go he really pushes hard from the outside and inside to check the ovaries. Wouldn't a regular pap be helpful in that regard?

Can I ask if the reason they palpate the ovaries when they do an internal exam is to look for something like a mass? I know when I go he really pushes hard from the outside and inside to check the ovaries. Wouldn't a regular pap be helpful in that regard?

No. A pap smear screens for cervical cancer, not ovarian cancer. As for palpitating to feel your ovaries, that will only work if you have a HUGE mass present. And often times, not even then, because the mass tends to pull your ovary back and down and your doctor will not be able to feel it. Ovaries are notoriously difficult to find by palpitation even under the best of circumstances...they are quite small.

As I said previously, I have a trans-v*ginal ultrasound every year to check mine (my mother had ovarian cancer), and it has to be trans-v*ginal as opposed to an abdominal scan, because they are too difficult to see properly with an abdominal scan. Pushing in on your abdomen for a few seconds at the OB's office is not an effective way to screen for ovarian cancer...it's actually pretty worthless.

One thing that does reduce the risk of contracting ovarian cancer is taking the birth control pill (scientifically proven in study after study)...that can reduce your chance of getting it by up to 60%.

I've been out of town, so I'm just now seeing this!

It's hard to find the right words. I'm so incredibly sorry to hear this news. I am praying over you... for peace and comfort as you deal with this sudden change, for clarity from doctors as you proceed, for strength and the will to fight this, and for the correct treatment to be administered.

Many, many hugs & prayers are with you! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug: I'll be praying here, too. I'm very, very sorry to hear your news. Please know that you are very cared about, and I hope you will find a lot of love and support here.

ETA: I just want to let you know that something very similar happened to a close friend while pregnant with twins. She is doing fine, and her two babies are now in high school!

Edited by NJKelli

No. A pap smear screens for cervical cancer, not ovarian cancer. As for palpitating to feel your ovaries, that will only work if you have a HUGE mass present. And often times, not even then, because the mass tends to pull your ovary back and down and your doctor will not be able to feel it. Ovaries are notoriously difficult to find by palpitation even under the best of circumstances...they are quite small.

As I said previously, I have a trans-v*ginal ultrasound every year to check mine (my mother had ovarian cancer), and it has to be trans-v*ginal as opposed to an abdominal scan, because they are too difficult to see properly with an abdominal scan. Pushing in on your abdomen for a few seconds at the OB's office is not an effective way to screen for ovarian cancer...it's actually pretty worthless.

One thing that does reduce the risk of contracting ovarian cancer is taking the birth control pill (scientifically proven in study after study)...that can reduce your chance of getting it by up to 60%.

Ok thanks for that info! Good to hear about the pill working against it too.

Oh my goodness, how very scary, I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

Maybe your letter to your doctor should include, "Do you think if I cut out the carbs, my CANCER would go away?"

My thoughts and continued prayers are with you and your family.

Warmly,

Julie