Menu

Just dying to know: if you eat boiled eggs . . .

So, how do you eat boiled eggs?  

1. 1. So, how do you eat boiled eggs?

• Served in an egg cup; eaten with a spoon
    • Pealed; eaten with silverware
    • Pealed; eaten with hands
    • Only eat them prepared away from the table (in a salad, deviled, et c)
    • Yeah, obligatory Other but please explain

Awhile back we got together with friends for lunch at a nature park. Everyone brough his own lunch.

We brought boiled eggs, bread, and fruit.

The topic of *how* we eat boiled eggs became a topic of conversation. I was astonished by this thinking that everyone eats eggs the same way.

So, I'm curious . . . how do you eat boiled eggs?

eta: I removed "soft" since I don't think many ppl eat soft boiled and I don't think it matters to my question.

ETA again! Stop being gross, ya'll! Soft boiled eggs are defined as firm white, firm outer yolk, creamy inner yolk. AND they are NEVER eaten cold! Piping hot only! And for the record . . . I don't eat cold hard boiled eggs, either.

Edited by BibleBeltCatholicMom

Soft boiled eggs - we use a knife to cut the top off and then dip toast into the egg and eat them that way. If there's any egg left after the "toasting" then we use a spoon.

Hard boiled eggs - peel, add a bit of salt and pepper, eat

I'm an other. With actual soft-boiled eggs, like with a liquidy yolk? In a bowl, with a spoon. Hard-boiled eggs, I eat all of the ways you listed. If we're seriously on the go, I'll just eat peeled and whole, out of hand. Sometimes I'll chop and add a little mayo and curry powder or olive oil and adobo powder. Sometimes cut in half with a little salt. And I love deviled eggs and egg salad too. So it really depends on our day and what I'm in the mood for.

Oh, I just realized that I've never eaten an egg out of an egg cup, ever. So not ALL the ways you listed, LOL!

I eat them in different ways:

soft-boiled - lopped off and scooped out with a spoon if I'm at home and they're super-fresh and hard to peel, but sometimes I peel them and mush them up. I don't like that they get cold that way, though. Salted and peppered, of course!

hard-boiled - peeled ahead of time and eaten out of hand dipped in salt and pepper.

hard-boiled in a salad - with a fork.

I wouldn't have tought to gring soft-boiled eggs on a picnic because I like them hot like a yummy, eggy pudding - but a salty, peppery pudding!

Guest submarines
huh . . . maybe I'll have to do a poll with, "What is a soft-boiled egg to you?"

A runny white would :eek:

Soft boiled to me is firm white, firm outter yolk, creamy center yolk.

Firm white, hot, runny yolk--that's my ideal. But since I'm horrified by the runny white, I sometimes get the yolk to creamy. What you describe would be practically hard-boiled to me. :001_smile:

I love warm soft-boiled eggs. :D

I voted "pealed; eaten with hands", but we actually eat them "peeled". ;) Sorry! I couldn't resist. :D

Pretty much the ONLY time we eat boiled eggs by themselves is at Easter, after the annual family egg hunt at MIL & FIL's house. Everyone who wants eggs gets a paper plate and a boiled egg, and some sprinkle salt and pepper onto their plates for seasoning their eggs. We each peel and eat our eggs with our fingers, dipping them into the salt and pepper as desired. As for me, I only eat the white, and SIL only eats the yolk, so we sometimes share our eggs.

I will, however, eat the egg yolk too if it's mixed into something like potato salad or tuna salad, and I also like deviled eggs. We eat eggs this way much more often than we eat plain boiled eggs.

eta: I removed "soft" since I don't think many ppl eat soft boiled and I don't think it matters to my question.

I didn't see the original question/poll, but I think it does make a difference. To my mind, soft-boiled eggs are like any other egg -- they are served warm and eaten with utensils. My mother used to make them and just served them on a plate, because we never had egg cups. I don't make them myself, but I would no more eat a soft-boiled egg with my hands than I would a poached egg.

Hard-boiled eggs, however, are eaten cold and with fingers. Totally different!

If you mean soft boiled, we peel them, put them in a bowl served warm and use a spoon to eat them with, sort of breaking them up and eating/dipping toast into the yolks.

If you mean hard boiled, I peel them, sprinkle salt all over them, and eat them while holding them with my fingers (and sprinkling more salt onto the yolk as I get to it). In that case, I eat them cold.

I also like deviled eggs and egg salad sandwiches!

Probably not!

We eat soft boiled eggs in egg cups with little spoons. salt is in a little container and we use the spoon to sprinkle.

We eat hard-boiled eggs the same way (thought I do not like hard boiled eggs unless they are in a salad or deviled or something) but my husband usually eats his with hands unless we're at the table together. The he uses utensils.

If I were voting, I'd vote egg cups.

I have to tell you that I was astonished by my friends reaction to the egg cups. Not that her way is different but that she was so supprised.

And I'll say that I'm astonished that ppl think that soft boiled eggs have runny whites or are served cold. ewwwwww!!!!!!!

And in case you wonder what my FAVORITE way to eat an egg is, I LOVE them poached, served over roasted asparagus, over toasted bread. A sprinkle of salt and pepper and parmesan. MMMMMMmmm! and by poached I mean firm white, creamy yolk. maybe firm yolk outside, creamy inside.

Editing to add: it is very important to note that the best part is dipping the toast crusts into the creamy, salty yolk. mmmmmmm!!!!!!

Edited by BibleBeltCatholicMom

We eat them in an egg cup if they are soft. I like a soft yolk that is just runny in the middle but set around the edges where it meets the white. I peel them and set in the cups for the kids. Me I just usually throw them in a bowl and eat with a spoon.

I like hard boiled too, and I sometimes make this as a side dish. I take the filling out, mix with a bit of mayo and finely diced ham or something, seasonings and fill them back.

Hard, peeled and eaten by hand. Rolled or dabbed in a bit of salt and pepper. I prefer egg salad though.

Soft, in egg cup, accompanied by toast "soldiers."

ETA: Comfort food for an under-the-weather child is two soft boiled eggs, peeled, chopped in a bowl with a dab of butter.

Edited by nmoira

I have to tell you that I was astonished by my friends reaction to the egg cups. Not that her way is different but that she was so supprised.

And I'll say that I'm astonished that ppl think that soft boiled eggs have runny whites or are served cold. ewwwwww!!!!!!!

I don't think people think soft-boiled eggs are served cold. I think people thought you were eating YOURS cold because you took them to the park. When I think of bringing food to a park lunch outing, it's generally not something that is close enough to keep my soft-boiled eggs hot enough to be appealing when we get there.

I would also be astonished at your egg cups, simply because I think they're superfluous. IMO, soft-boiled eggs work just fine in a regular bowl with a regular spoon, so I would be very surprised that someone would actually own egg cups and tiny spoons for this purpose, AND would travel with them :tongue_smilie: But I try to own as few kitchen items as I can. Pampered Chef doesn't get much money out of me :lol:

Edited by Sweet Morning Air
clarifying a few points

ETA: Comfort food for an under-the-weather child is two soft boiled eggs, peeled, chopped in a bowl with a dab of butter.

:D That's what my mom used to serve me when I was sick as a child (minus the butter, plus the toast soldiers). When I think of soft-boiled eggs, that's what I think of--being home from school, curled up on the couch with a teen magazine, all feverish.

I can't seem to pull that off. LOL Because I do like undercooked yolk.

My egg boiler/steamer is second only to my rice cooker in the part of my heart reserved for single purpose small appliances.

Well, to be fair, it does look from the poll that your way is definitely an unusual one. I would probably be surprised myself to see egg cups at a picnic, just because I think of picnic food as simple, easy fare without extra "stuff" required.

BUT, I can totally identify with your feeling of annoyance at others' surprise. Or perhaps you weren't annoyed, but I have definitely been annoyed at times when people just assume that their way is the only possible way of doing something and seem absolutely floored that others might do it a different way.

Your egg cups sound lovely and quaint to me, and your lunch sounds delicious. :)

And in case you wonder what my FAVORITE way to eat an egg is, I LOVE them poached, served over roasted asparagus, over toasted bread. A sprinkle of salt and pepper and parmesan. MMMMMMmmm! and by poached I mean firm white, creamy yolk. maybe firm yolk outside, creamy inside.
Oh my, when is lunch?? I'm drooling here. :D

For awhile my boys ate boiled eggs.

I boiled and peeled them and put them in an egg cup on the floor. (egg cup also on plate since cat-children can be messy) They then meowed like cats and ate them out of the cup. They would take the first few bites with no hands. When needed hands could be used, but if you did so you had to do your best to look and sound like a cat when eating.

:confused::confused:

I didn't ask. For awhile they would happily eat eggs this way, and it was a nice easy to prepare breakfast. Also allowed me some more quite time when they 'ate' breakfast. Also put them in a good mood for school.

-- But for some reason that was not listed as an option on your poll, so I had to click "other".

I could never live without my electric egg cooker. It makes perfectly cooked eggs however you like them every time. I use it every single day

A kindred spirit!

Soft boiled goes in a egg cup. Hard boiled needs one not.

And, it DOES make a difference if you are talking about soft boiled. Those are to eat hot, so you need a proper cup and spoon. Otherwise, well... JMO, but that would be a bit messy and unpleasant to watch.

For awhile my boys ate boiled eggs.

I boiled and peeled them and put them in an egg cup on the floor. (egg cup also on plate since cat-children can be messy) They then meowed like cats and ate them out of the cup. They would take the first few bites with no hands. When needed hands could be used, but if you did so you had to do your best to look and sound like a cat when eating.

:confused::confused:

I didn't ask. For awhile they would happily eat eggs this way, and it was a nice easy to prepare breakfast. Also allowed me some more quite time when they 'ate' breakfast. Also put them in a good mood for school.

-- But for some reason that was not listed as an option on your poll, so I had to click "other".

:lol: Isn't it amazing what we'll do for a few minutes of quiet time during a meal? You are a very creative mom! :D