Menu

Just dying to know: if you eat boiled eggs . . .

So, how do you eat boiled eggs?  

1. 1. So, how do you eat boiled eggs?

• Served in an egg cup; eaten with a spoon
    • Pealed; eaten with silverware
    • Pealed; eaten with hands
    • Only eat them prepared away from the table (in a salad, deviled, et c)
    • Yeah, obligatory Other but please explain

Oh, okay ewwww! No, we don't eat cold, soft-boiled eggs, either! The picnic was first with fun after. We took the eggs straight from the pot to the park and ate them hot.

I'd think that cold, or at least held a room temp until we got to them, would be a health hazard!

I'm guessing you don't dye Easter eggs, and then eat them later? Boiled eggs should be eaten cold, and they should be hard boiled, not soft. :D Oh, and hands are a must-like fried chicken!:lol:

Peeled, not pealed. :lol:

I have never met anyone IRL who eats soft-cooked eggs in egg cups. I did not know that people actually/still do that, even though I see egg cups for sale. :001_huh: I have soft-cooked eggs on occasion, and I put them in a bowl with some butter and salt/pepper and mush 'em up. Yum.

When I prepare hard-cooked eggs (and I don't boil them--I hard-cook them), I peel them right away so they're ready for however I want to use them. As a snack, out of hand, I just salt them and eat 'em up. Yum. I used to put them in zip-lock bags for the dc for quick snacks if we were on the road.

Deviled eggs all the way! (Eaten with fingers.) Soft boiled eggs look gross to me and my granny's cold hard boiled eggs always had that gray edge around the yoke :ack2:, so I don't like those, either.

AH-HA! The grey edge . . . I MUST comment!

When my husband boils an egg, it always has a grey edge around the yolk. For a wedding gift I rec'd Julia Child's book about cooking any and every thing under the sun. I couldn't really cook anything and began with boiling an egg. Come to find out, eggs aren't even boiled. According to Julia, it's a misnomer.

Her method (and mine lo these many years) is to place the egg in cold water; place the pan on the fire; heat to the boiling point but do not boil the eggs; turn off fire and cover. Leave for 5-7 minutes (I've left longer with no grey edge) for perfect eggs.

It didn't take long to notice that boiling the egg as my husband almost always results in a grey edge and cooking them per Julia never, ever, results in a grey edge.

I wonder if that is why I don't like hard-boiled eggs . . . memories of my mom's and husband's grey tinged boiled eggs.

I loved that cookbook. I didn't learn to cook much at home. My mom would always shoo me out of the kitchen. Later when I got married I was just clueless. Thank heaven for the friends that got me that cookbook. It probably saved my marriage from the start.

Soft boiled in an egg cup. I have various sets of cups, some from overseas, one set from Meijer or maybe Target.

Hard boiled is often peel-and-eat. Today I took a hardboiled egg in my lunch, but I cut it in half like the 3rd and 4th picture down here. Sometime soon I want to try this.

Whoa! Thanks! I cannot wait for breakfast tomorrow. My girlie will love it!

For awhile my boys ate boiled eggs.

I boiled and peeled them and put them in an egg cup on the floor. (egg cup also on plate since cat-children can be messy) They then meowed like cats and ate them out of the cup. They would take the first few bites with no hands. When needed hands could be used, but if you did so you had to do your best to look and sound like a cat when eating.

:confused::confused:

I didn't ask. For awhile they would happily eat eggs this way, and it was a nice easy to prepare breakfast. Also allowed me some more quite time when they 'ate' breakfast. Also put them in a good mood for school.

-- But for some reason that was not listed as an option on your poll, so I had to click "other".

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wish it had been!

I'm guessing you don't dye Easter eggs, and then eat them later? Boiled eggs should be eaten cold, and they should be hard boiled, not soft. :D Oh, and hands are a must-like fried chicken!:lol:

No, we don't soft boil the Easter eggs. We hard-boil them and later, they are served as deviled eggs. I really do not like a hard-boiled egg at all. But I just love soft-boiled ones.

really, it is just a few minutes difference so you wouldn't think it would make that much difference to my palate.

Maybe, as a child, I was frightened by a hard-boiled egg.

Peeled, not pealed. :lol:

I have never met anyone IRL who eats soft-cooked eggs in egg cups. I did not know that people actually/still do that, even though I see egg cups for sale. :001_huh:

I did when I was a kid, with buttered toast "fingers." I don't bother with my kids. They think runny yolks are awful.

I rarely eat them, but when I do, I bite right in to a cold, peeled, and salted, whole hard boiled egg.

My FIL eats a slice of bread with a fork and knife. He does not touch food.

I was just thinking about that in reference to this thread, so it's funny you should mention it. For some reason the entire discussion reminded me of that one episode of Enterprise where Captain Archer and Trip are watching T'Pol eat a hard breadstick with a fork and knife -- she just keeps sawing away at it because Vulcans do NOT touch food, and she refuses to give in and pick it up with her fingers.

If I eat a plain hard-boiled egg, it is usually in a dish. I do like deviled eggs, egg salad, tuna fish salad with eggs, chicken salad with eggs, potato salad with eggs, etc.

I have never had soft boiled eggs. I'm curious to try them. Usually when I eat fried eggs the yolk is thin. I cannot eat a fried egg with a thoroughly cooked yolk. If I want the yolk cooked, I'll just do scrambled.

I've never used an egg cup or eaten a soft boiled egg but we eat hard boiled eggs all the time, typically in hand with salt and pepper.

I've seen an egg cup, only once that I can remember. I was playing at a cousin's house and we had one and were pretending to wash out our eyes with it. I think I only realized what an egg cup was when watching a movie and seeing an egg in a cup and the person doing the tap around the center thing for getting it peeled. Sorry I would be astonished (not in a bad way) to see such a thing on a picnic, but I've never even seen it IRL. I've never even seen a soft boiled egg IRL.;) Probably because my mother can't stand a yolk unless it's throughly rubberized. I never even heard of soft boiled eggs until I was an adult.

:lol: Isn't it amazing what we'll do for a few minutes of quiet time during a meal? You are a very creative mom! :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wish it had been!

Thank you.

It was totally my kids idea. They also ate cut up raw vegetarian hotdogs that way. Also carrots cut up into cat food sized chunks. They would even drink water out of a bowl. (but sometimes sneak a straw for easier drinking, to hard to fill up on water when you have to lap it up)

I would sometimes feel a little odd simply putting breakfast on the floor in two bowls and calling, "Come and get it kitties". But it made them happy. :) and was easier than a typical meal setting.