Menu

Skirts Only/Mostly Women...

Help! I've been slowly transitioning my wardrobe and my girls' wardrobe to skirts/dresses mostly. We do still wear pants, capris, or long shorts on certain occasions (hiking, etc), but we have changed to skirts/dresses for most daily wear. Last year, once the weather got really cold, I went back to pants because I had a seriously hard time being WARM in skirts. I'm very cold natured. I have a limited budget and can't replace my entire winter wardrobe, but I'd like to continue to wear skirts/dresses except on certain occasions.

I have two long denim skirts and two long cotton blend skirts, but I would like more options there. What do you wear?

Where can I find thicker tights for women that don't cost a ton? (VERY limited budget here).

What shoes should I wear? In spring, early fall and summer I live in flip flops and ballet flats. I will not wear tennis shoes with a skirt. My DH hates the way boots of any kind look with skirts so I avoid them. I'm at a loss as to what type of show I should wear then that would look decent with tights????

Help! (Links would be great!)

I do wear skirts that are shorter than ankle length, but they have to hit me at least mid knee. I have no clue what to wear with those either!

I wear a lot of knee length skirts. For winter, I have leggings from Target, lots of wacky knee socks, and nice tall boots. That's fine for most winter days, I find. If it's a winter day when I'm really going to be outside and it's dead cold, I do have to switch to pants though. But I don't mind pants. Both are good for me.

You could wear leggings under the skirts. As for where to get them, I guess I'd check thrift stores and watch for online sales/coupons.

As for shoes, have you looked at Mary Jane styles? There are a WIDE variety of dressy, casual, and even just weird Mary Jane styles available, as evidence by http://www.6pm.com/mary-janes-shoes/CK_XAToC9BLiAgIHAQ.zso?ot=mary+janes&s=percentOff/desc/#!/women-shoes/CK_XAToC9BLAAQHiAgMHARg.zso?ot=mary+janes&s=percentOff/desc/.

I was thinking about this more and thinking that if you don't do boots, I'm not sure you really can stay warm in a skirt when it's really cold. I love the look of boots and a knee length skirt, but if you're wearing ankle length skirts, then you'd barely be able to tell they were boots.

Warm tights are expensive. And frankly only really warm enough for places like Seattle where cold is still pretty warm relative to places with long and snowy winters. I wear a lot of warm tights (it's a style thing for me, not a decison to only wear skirts) and I get the best prices at local independent shoe stores when they are clearancing out winter stuff for spring. Then I can get them 1/2 off. Once I got a couple of pairs of smart wool ones at the REI sale. Yummy warm. For shoes I wear boots, clogs and things like these: http://m.shoebuy.com/naot-sea/520451/1096113

Edited by kijipt

I've found tights at target. Though I must tell you my llbean tights have been around for 8 years, so if you could swing one or two pairs of those they really will last! (don't dry them in the dryer).

I second Mary Jane looks---like these: http://www.6pm.com/cushe-bamboo-plum-charcoal. They have the support of sneakers, but look much dressier. And you can find them in all brands and colors. I also love my clogs and wear them with long skirts. And I second the suggestion of capri length leggings. They can also be worn over the tights.

I found a pair of $40 boots online through a pinterest pin and those with knee-length skirts are my favorite. I have a pair of gray leggings and gray tights so they work with my brown and black shoes and i wear knee socks under the boots. I wore skirts most of the time in minnesota during a winter with several days of -25 degree temperatures and was not cold. I learned real quick what worked :) also, since many of my skirts are inexpensive cotton ones from old navy i have a knee-length plain skirt that i used to wear underneath the pretty ones on super cold days.

But really, you have to embrace the boots! Seriously, i adore mine and instantly i look put together even 7 months pregnant. Mine have no bigger heel than my old horseback riding boots and they're loose at the top since slouchy is the style right now. Your dh would not complain about these kind of boots, i can't see any guy with a pulse disliking a pair of thigh high brown boots ;) or if he thinks it's too risque then nice mid-calf length are goid too, i checked with my dh before choosing my thigh high boots and we both agreed they would be alright. And if the skirt is a proper length for you then the height of the boots won't matter much anyway since they'll only show a bit.

I'm not a skirts-only/mostly person, however, I do like wearing them. I have summer skirts, and winter skirts, and my winter skirts are mainly wool.

I wear leggings with them, and some warm shoes (usually boots). Similar to this style.

If you are going to wear skirts and be warm, you need to make some concessions for practicality. I spent seven years (i.e., seven winters) in Philadelphia, so I learned through trial and error what worked for me. Most women's shoes that go well with skirts are not warm (no comfortable, nor durable, but that's another gripe), but boots are an ideal exception. Flats or ballerina shoes like you describe will not keep you warm, FTMP. You should do some looking around at different shoe types, and reconsider boots, if for no other reason because every other type of shoe s*cks when you're walking in a Walmart parking lot full of slush and ice.

No way would I wear skirts if I were cold in them all the time. For everyday wear, I normally wear capri leggings paired with smooth-knit knee socks, as well as a slip so that the leggings don't catch on the skirt. Then I wear a casual leather kind of shoe, or low clogs, or flats. The next step up for me is to wear silk long underwear and possibly a low sock, then the leggings and regular socks over that. If it's truly frigid or I'm going to Leavenworth (boy it is brutally cold there in the winter), I pull 100% wool tights over both of the other layers, and I also wear knee-height snow boots. Usually the skirt causes a sort of cone of warmth that insulates pretty well.

The skirt itself needs to be warm - wool, or something tweedy, or corduroy, or twill. Then leggings underneath; as a pp said, push them up so they don't show if you like, and/or cover them with the socks. You want the leggings that are thick enough to wear alone, not the thin tights-like ones. Look in the exercise wear department. The leggings keep you warm, the skirt keeps out the wind. Warm socks - wool hiking socks, or polar fleece socks. They are not cheap but they make a HUGE difference. Try Marshalls. Sturdy shoes. Clogs, or yoga-mom shoes, or park-mom shoes, or something from an outdoors store like Keens or Berkies. If the sock is decent you can still do a sandal, surprisingly, in all but snow or wetness.

Fiber content matters. Wool is much warmer than cotton.

I wear Old Navy black tights.

When I lived in Montreal, I wore black leggings over black socks. Tight black leggings are as good as tights anyway.

I wear paddock boots usually in the winter.

I tend to use the same skirts over and over, but for the winter, wool and corduroy.

I just grab any good thick long black leggings that I see whenever I'm at the thrift store. I live where it's snowy and cold in the winters and I wear long skirts or dresses and the leggings. This keeps me warm. For shoes, I wear black ankle boots or even hiking boots (in addition to my regular black slip ons).

I've found tights at target. Though I must tell you my llbean tights have been around for 8 years, so if you could swing one or two pairs of those they really will last! (don't dry them in the dryer).

I second Mary Jane looks---like these: http://www.6pm.com/cushe-bamboo-plum-charcoal. They have the support of sneakers, but look much dressier. And you can find them in all brands and colors. I also love my clogs and wear them with long skirts. And I second the suggestion of capri length leggings. They can also be worn over the tights.

I like those! Thanks for the link!

I found a pair of $40 boots online through a pinterest pin and those with knee-length skirts are my favorite. I have a pair of gray leggings and gray tights so they work with my brown and black shoes and i wear knee socks under the boots. I wore skirts most of the time in minnesota during a winter with several days of -25 degree temperatures and was not cold. I learned real quick what worked :) also, since many of my skirts are inexpensive cotton ones from old navy i have a knee-length plain skirt that i used to wear underneath the pretty ones on super cold days.

But really, you have to embrace the boots! Seriously, i adore mine and instantly i look put together even 7 months pregnant. Mine have no bigger heel than my old horseback riding boots and they're loose at the top since slouchy is the style right now. Your dh would not complain about these kind of boots, i can't see any guy with a pulse disliking a pair of thigh high brown boots ;) or if he thinks it's too risque then nice mid-calf length are goid too, i checked with my dh before choosing my thigh high boots and we both agreed they would be alright. And if the skirt is a proper length for you then the height of the boots won't matter much anyway since they'll only show a bit.

Oh yes, he would. :P My DH only likes boots with pants and even then he hates it if the boot shows on the outside of the pants. He refers to the tall kind as, ahem, "hooker boots."

*I* don't mind boots and wore them before I met DH. I could still wear them, I suppose, but I know he'd hate it. :glare:

Thank you to you all! This is VERY helpful!!

I survived two winters in northern North Dakota.

My secret was wearing Cuddl Duds leggings underneath the heavy, long (mid-calf) skirt. (Just push them up above the hemline of the skirt if you don't want them to show.) If it was REALLY cold, I would wear the Cuddl Duds underneath something else, like long johns or sweat pants, and then the skirt. Yes, it could get bulky, but when it's -40*F (not counting wind chill), you don't tend to care about bulkiness. :D

Here's a link to what I'm talking about: http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pfid=CuddlDudsCD8612041&source=gbase&cm_mmc=GLBS-_-Daywear-_-CuddlDudsCD8612041-_-NA&term=CuddlDudsCD8612041%20&mr:trackingCode=9D63C84A-2E02-E111-87D9-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid=COLVuZKezbICFUqoPAodchcAlA

Those look interesting! Thanks!

Really, your dh would call something like these "hooker boots"?

http://www.zappos.com/frye-melissa-button-cognac-soft-vintage-leather?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_zc2

:001_huh:

I just showed that picture to him and he said that it would depend on the attire worn with it but....probably. :tongue_smilie:

He just doesn't like boots. lol He even hates Ugg style boots because he thinks they are really ugly.

He also said that he would find high boots appealing...in the bedroom.:001_huh:

I married an odd one, what can I say?:001_smile:

If you have tall boots that come at least a few inches close to the skirt, you can wear leggings instead of tights and it looks just fine as well as keeps you warm. If you're really cold, put tights under the leggings.

I wear skirts regularly in winter and it gets to -30°C here often in a normal winter. I am originally from the South, so winter and I still aren't the greatest blend yet either. ;)

I just showed that picture to him and he said that it would depend on the attire worn with it but....probably. :tongue_smilie:

He just doesn't like boots. lol He even hates Ugg style boots because he thinks they are really ugly.

He also said that he would find high boots appealing...in the bedroom.:001_huh:

I married an odd one, what can I say?:001_smile:

:001_huh: Really. If those are hooker boots, that's one ugly and poor hooker.

I think your dh is nuts on this one. On the other hand, Ugg boots are ugly, so I agree with him on that.

However, if you're going to go skirts in winter, but you let your dh win on the boots issue, then give up the skirts because you will NOT be warm enough. You cannot have it both ways.

I suggest you let him feel it out in a kilt and no boots on your average winter day and see how he feels about the issue after that. Either that, or tell him he can either get used to the skirts with the boots, or say good bye to the skirts all winter long.

I wear flannel dresses with silk longjohns and fleece-lined boots. If I have to go out to the sheds I add wool tights and switch to Sorels. If it's colder than about -30 I give up and wear insulated Carhartts! I wear a Carhartt coat with double mittens and a face shield. I try very hard not to go out at that point... :D

Praise the-entity-of-your-choice for giving us hard-winter gals Carhartts. :D I could not survive winter chores without them.

I think your dh is nuts on this one. On the other hand, Ugg boots are ugly, so I agree with him on that.

However, if you're going to go skirts in winter, but you let your dh win on the boots issue, then give up the skirts because you will NOT be warm enough. You cannot have it both ways.

I suggest you let him feel it out in a kilt and no boots on your average winter day and see how he feels about the issue after that. Either that, or tell him he can either get used to the skirts with the boots, or say good bye to the skirts all winter long.

I should clarify that he hasn't told me to not wear boots, I just know he doesn't like them. In fact, he has told me to wear boots if I want, but be prepared for him to make fun of them. :tongue_smilie:

BTW, he said he probably wouldn't flinch too much in a kilt in the winter(except for the draft if worn traditionally:lol:). He still walks around in shorts in a t-shirt when it's 40 degrees out.

I should clarify that he hasn't told me to not wear boots, I just know he doesn't like them. In fact, he has told me to wear boots if I want, but be prepared for him to make fun of them. :tongue_smilie:

BTW, he said he probably wouldn't flinch too much in a kilt in the winter(except for the draft if worn traditionally:lol:). He still walks around in shorts in a t-shirt when it's 40 degrees out.

Oh trust me... he'd flinch when a -30°C chill creeps up his nether regions.

Did you know that they make woman-shaped Carhartt overalls? The only pair I could find that fit my hips are too long, but I don't have to wear Omar-the-tent-makers just to go over my hips! With silk under them, an insulated coat (over a t-neck over silk) and I'm ALMOST warm! And the best part about overalls instead of coveralls is that when you have to strip the coat off to pull a lamb, your core is still covered!

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=96591&langId=-1

Oh, I know. But, the women's ones don't come long enough for me. I need a longer inseam and I can only get those in the men's. No sexy chore overalls for me, I'm afraid. :lol:

Question.... When you are all bundled up with a thick skirt, and one to two pairs of stockings/leggings....What do you do when you go inside where there is heat? Don't you die of heat?

No more so than you would with pants. And unlike pants, you can remove or push up the leggings. Layering is the way to go, with either pants or skirts.

I can't imagine staying warm in skirts all winter either. I like the cropped-yoga-pants-underneath idea, but then your ankles will still be cold!!

It's really all about the quality winter socks. They go a long way towards keeping you warm. Wool or fleece - they are *significantly* warmer than your ordinary socks, and both will even keep you warm if they are wet.

I wear Doc Martin Mary Janes with skirts and heavy black tights from Kohls. Kohls has great prices. Doc Martins are expensive, but they last forever!

I :001_wub: my Doc Marten Mary Janes! And they're 20-odd years old.

OP, if you're talking winter temps in the 40s, I think you would be fine with cropped leggings or regular tights, tall socks, and regular shoes.

The skirt itself needs to be warm - wool, or something tweedy, or corduroy, or twill. Then leggings underneath; as a pp said, push them up so they don't show if you like, and/or cover them with the socks. You want the leggings that are thick enough to wear alone, not the thin tights-like ones. Look in the exercise wear department. The leggings keep you warm, the skirt keeps out the wind. Warm socks - wool hiking socks, or polar fleece socks. They are not cheap but they make a HUGE difference. Try Marshalls. Sturdy shoes. Clogs, or yoga-mom shoes, or park-mom shoes, or something from an outdoors store like Keens or Berkies. If the sock is decent you can still do a sandal, surprisingly, in all but snow or wetness.

Fiber content matters. Wool is much warmer than cotton.

And that kills someone like me; love skirts - highly allergic to wool!!! Lol.

I don't wear skirts only, but I do wear them quite a bit in the winter, and I'm always warm. And I do live up in the north where it snows. I wear skirts that are anywhere from just below the knee to almost ankle-length.

I wear thick tights (I find the cotton ones from Target are just fine), then I have a great pair of comfy boots with a small heel - the boots go just above the ankle, but enough that I can put on a pair of smart wool socks over the tights. This keeps me warm and toasty, and I don't look frumpy.

I would never wear leggings - I would have cold feet, and that would defeat the whole idea. If my feet are warm and my legs are covered, all is good, even if the tights or skirt are not woolen. But wool socks, yes.

Edited by matroyshka

:iagree:

Why not wear some western style boots with warm fabric tiered skirts?

I :001_wub: my Doc Marten Mary Janes! And they're 20-odd years old.

OP, if you're talking winter temps in the 40s, I think you would be fine with cropped leggings or regular tights, tall socks, and regular shoes.

It can get cooler than that, but we have mild winters compared to what goes on up north.

Now I really want the not stylish flannel dress from the Vermont Country Store catalog. ;) I can only imagine how awesome it would feel to slip that on over my LLBean long johns on a cold winter day.

The bonus is that my sister would send video to get me on What Not To Wear.

Win-win.

Edited by LibraryLover

Yep !!