Menu

Awesome Timeline History Schedule/Curriculum

I've put my Awesome History Timeline Schedule online:

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/awesomehistory/awesome_history.html

Some of the pages don't have anything yet as I'm pasting in the info from a Word document, but I thought I'd share what I have up in case it's useful to anyone.

Basically it's a history curriculum/schedule in a timeline format. I'm currently working through it with my son and we've both learned a lot.

I have a lot of reasons why I created it but one is because I wanted something totally chronological. It's a total pet peeve of mine when history books jump all over the place covering concepts, civilizations, dynasties, etc. instead of WHEN the darn stuff happened. Give it to me all at once. I promise I can keep track of the threads. ;)

I also wanted to see how world history and American history are intertwined. Why learn about them separately? I'm finding that I understand the flow of history so much better now that we are studying them in tandem (although you could use the schedule to focus on either one instead of both). I also understand so much better how events in one part of the world affected another. It really is a "small world" when you study it like this...

Another reason...I don't like rushing through history. I like to linger and really know what was going on (and/or sometimes get the heck out of a time period because it's BORING or we're tired of it or whatever, lol). I like to use a variety of resources and need flexibility. I also got tired of paying hundreds of $$ for history programs that just didn't cut it in so many ways.

So...here is my creation and solution to all of the above and more. I should finish putting it all online by sometime next week.

The Awesome History Timeline Schedule is designed for my son and he's been rating items as we use them. As for what age it's for...my son is currently in middle school and will be using the schedule into high school. It's so easy to tweak though, you could really use it for any age or just use it to get a few extra ideas for any other history curriculum.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can do something better!

WOW!

:w00t: That is amazing....truly amazing!

Thank you for sharing your hours and hours and hours of work. :001_smile:

I have hours and hours and hours of browsing and planning and tweaking in store....

Thank you! If you want the Word version, let me know. You can change anything you want to totally customize it.

I haven't posted it in the clear because it hogs so much bandwidth every time it's downloaded. However, for those who want to use my schedule and alter it for themselves, I'll send a link to where it's hiding. ;)

Thank you! If you want the Word version, let me know. You can change anything you want to totally customize it.

I haven't posted it in the clear because it hogs so much bandwidth every time it's downloaded. However, for those who want to use my schedule and alter it for themselves, I'll send a link to where it's hiding. ;)

Oh, Yes, Yes, YES. Please!!!!!!!!!

Just this afternoon, I was looking over three different history programs and trying to figure out HOW to do things chronologically. I was driving myself crazy. Thank you!:001_smile:

This is amazing! We are currently at around year 1750 and I'd love to have the word version for those years and forward if you have them.

cjgrubbs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Me too! Thank you so much!!

tmmymcdnl at yahooo dot com

ETA: just pm me the link if that is easier for you. :)

**Waves arms frantically jumping up and down yelling "Oh! Oh! Me! Me!"**

Ok, I think I sent a link to the Word document out to everyone who wanted one. If I missed you, please let me know!

I'm going to continue working on the online schedule but probably won't update the Word schedule as it's just too hard to work on two schedules at once. Just check my website for updates or subscribe to my blog.

If you want your Word schedule to look just like what's online, you can copy the online table and paste it into a blank Microsoft Word page (make sure its in web format and not print format). It pastes perfectly. Then you can tweak it to your heart's content.

:)

More pages are posted on my site today...I should be done with the rest soon! After that I'll start adding more A History of Us chapters in (amongst other things).

If you wouldn't mind sending the link for the Word file ONE MORE TIME, I'd really appreciate it :)! This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I know it took you awhile to get it all lined out like this. Thanks so much for sharing!

Tammie

I just sent it! :) I've been adding in Map Trek assignments to the online version.

This is so amazing. I'm loving it already!

ANy plans to add ancients to it at some point?

Yes, I've thought about it and will probably get to it at some point. Since it's unlikely I'll be covering ancient history again with Otter it's low on the list. ;)

The only point of doing it would be to get a few extra $ from the commission I get from Amazon links.

Still...I would really like having an ENTIRE history schedule from the beginning to today. So, yeah...one of these days!

I have to decide what direction my website is going to take. Otter is my last kid to homeschool. When I'm done with him I may want to try to make some $$ developing curriculum or...something. I just can't see giving it all up completely as I love it so much.

Oh, my, you have certainly done it again! We are going through your original American History and am so grateful. Would appreciate the Word link also, please :001_smile:

God bless you!

Truly inspiring! I plan on getting my teeth into as soon as I can. Not sure if I am a box checker or not ? :D My son is also in middle school so this seems great. I hope you don't mind that I pinned a link to your blog on Pinterest, it's the only way I can remember things, this is for my youngest so the brain isn't what it used to be, kwim? Thank you for this amazing wealth of information! Terri