Menu

If you are invited to a party and the invitation says

I've seen some cute things done at parties lately where the girls decorate a small cute container themselves and fill it with gummy bears or some small candies and attach a homemade certificate good for a future sleepover or playdate or something similar. Maybe something like this might be ok? It's what I might do if presented with an invitation like that.

As a mom that puts this on the invitations, please don't bring a gift. Someone always does and it makes the others who didn't uncomfortable. Also, if someone chooses to bring a gift, please don't be offended when I greet you at the door, thank you for the gift, and quietly place it in another room for the birthday girl to open after everyone has left. NO, she is not going to open it in front of everyone.This happened several times when dds were younger and I had to take time away from the party and deal w/something that I shouldn't of have to deal with! Rant over:glare:

As a mom that puts this on the invitations, please don't bring a gift. Someone always does and it makes the others who didn't uncomfortable. Also, if someone chooses to bring a gift, please don't be offended when I greet you at the door, thank you for the gift, and quietly place it in another room for the birthday girl to open after everyone has left. NO, she is not going to open it in front of everyone.This happened several times when dds were younger and I had to take time away from the party and deal w/something that I shouldn't of have to deal with! Rant over:glare:

:iagree: And trust me when I say that the mom who requested no gifts, will love you best when you don't bring one!

No. "No presents" means no presents. I'd bring a card though, and write something nice in it.

:iagree:exactly! They requested no presents for a reason, so I would honor that. BUt I never show up to a party without something in hand(I am a firm believer in hostess gifts), so I would still bring a card.

I have a hard time with that because one of my strongest love languages is giving, and I love giving gifts. I would ask the person throwing the party, personally. I understand the not wanting to get something that takes up space but isn't really loved, but if there is a beloved book or game or art item that the child would want, I would love to give it.

This has never happened to me with regard to a child, but if it did, if I knew the mom well, I would ask her if there were something I could still get. If it's a homeschooling family, I would ask about something like the D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths or a fun game.

If I didn't know the family well, I'd just comply.

If the party is for an adult (an adult friend of mine has requested no gifts), I would still give her something I thought was special. I give gifts to friends even when it's not a birthday.

PS -- For kid parties, I almost always ask the mom what the child would like because I cannot stand having unwanted stuff. The last time I asked, I bought a piano songbook for Star Wars and a Lego the boy wanted.

When we get these I still bring a card and a small gift certificate ($10) to an ice cream place or Target. That way it is not "more stuff" because I definitely don't need that, but the birthday kid can go out for a treat or get something she needs from Target. If we give a Target GC we usually tell the bday child that since they are a growing child they can put it towards some clothes or shoes.

:iagree: And trust me when I say that the mom who requested no gifts, will love you best when you don't bring one!

:iagree: And will be puzzled why a couple people will insist on it any way. :001_huh: For no gift parties, we always do big handmade over the top cards.

:iagree: And will be puzzled why a couple people will insist on it any way. :001_huh: For no gift parties, we always do big handmade over the top cards.

I guess it comes down to two reasons for me.

1. I view giving gifts as giving love, and I don't like the rules surrounding gift-giving. I don't like my brother feeling pressured every year to come up with a gift. He doesn't know my boys, barely cares about them, and the last minute "buy a gift" thing got ridiculous. It was easier just to tell him to not worry about our family. I really just don't like how materialistic the whole thing has become, and the "no gift" thing is a form of it, to me.

I've never met a kid who doesn't love a gift. Now, like I said, I would ask the parent first, but how many people would refuse a $25 Lego or an Amazon gift card if Amazon were doling them out? It seems if people would accept it from a company, they should be pleased getting it from a person who actually cares about her kid.

2. I've only seen "no gifts" on an adult party invite. If the lady is my friend, I may still want to give her something. In fact, I'd give her something without a party. I always took the "no gifts" thing as a modesty and thoughtfulness gesture. I've met people worried that they shouldn't send their child to a party b/c they couldn't afford a nice gift. I figured these gestures came from this sort of thing and also from the fact that often, guests don't really know what the child would like, so there is unwanted stuff around.

I didn't realize it would be considered rude to give a gift despite the request. I just didn't think this blessing another person could ever be despised.

I would not bring a gift but would have my kiddos make a cute card. If the invitation said no gifts, I would bring no gifts. But I'm a rule follower. I'm also someone who has sent a request like that before. I appreciate people following my request and would honestly be more annoyed by people who decided not to comply (however nice their intent might be).

I guess it comes down to two reasons for me.

1. I view giving gifts as giving love, and I don't like the rules surrounding gift-giving. I don't like my brother feeling pressured every year to come up with a gift. He doesn't know my boys, barely cares about them, and the last minute "buy a gift" thing got ridiculous. It was easier just to tell him to not worry about our family. I really just don't like how materialistic the whole thing has become, and the "no gift" thing is a form of it, to me.

I've never met a kid who doesn't love a gift. Now, like I said, I would ask the parent first, but how many people would refuse a $25 Lego or an Amazon gift card if Amazon were doling them out? It seems if people would accept it from a company, they should be pleased getting it from a person who actually cares about her kid.

2. I've only seen "no gifts" on an adult party invite. If the lady is my friend, I may still want to give her something. In fact, I'd give her something without a party. I always took the "no gifts" thing as a modesty and thoughtfulness gesture. I've met people worried that they shouldn't send their child to a party b/c they couldn't afford a nice gift. I figured these gestures came from this sort of thing and also from the fact that often, guests don't really know what the child would like, so there is unwanted stuff around.

I didn't realize it would be considered rude to give a gift despite the request. I just didn't think this blessing another person could ever be despised.

I don't really understand your first point - it seems that you're saying you don't want your brother to be pressured to buy a gift, but then you seem to flip that and say every kid wants a gift?

Second point - it's fine if the person is your friend and you would give them a gift anyway, but there is no need to give it to them at the no-gift party, is there? If they are a friend, you can surely give it to them some other time.

There was an opposite invite on fb recently; no gift = no food/cake.

We did not go to the party. I wish we would get invited to a no gift party!

Wait--what?

How in the world did that read in the invitation?

"If you don't bring the swag, don't expect any goodies from us!"

I can't imagine anything so rude in an invitation!

I don't really understand your first point - it seems that you're saying you don't want your brother to be pressured to buy a gift, but then you seem to flip that and say every kid wants a gift?

Second point - it's fine if the person is your friend and you would give them a gift anyway, but there is no need to give it to them at the no-gift party, is there? If they are a friend, you can surely give it to them some other time.

My first point is that my brother doesn't buy gifts b/c he cares about my kids; he does so b/c it's some sort of material obligation at Christmas time. I per finally despise obligatory giving, and I likewise dislike the concept of obligatory non-giving.

To me, giving gifts is an act of caring. Yes, I would never send a gift to a no-gift party, but if I truly wanted to give a child a gift, I wouldn't hesitate asking if I could give one at another time. My boys also enjoy the act of giving a gift. They have few friends, so I'm happy they have always had the opportunity to give them.

It just seems like the entire concept of gifts is so structured these days. When I was growing up, I would have loved a party with friends, and it would have been a lot of fun getting gifts.

When I used to have parties, I would say:

"please, no gifts. But if you feel the need to show up with something in hand, a canned food item for the local food pantry would be appreciated." Sometimes, I found, that little kids wanted to bring something to the party. then people would bring canned items in cute gift bags!! I set up a table and stuck a can of something-or-other on it so people would know where the gift table is.

a lot of times, we would find toys and other 'gifts' on the table. mostly, my kids decided to send all that to the food pantry, too, for the needy kids.

Robin in NJ

Wait--what?

How in the world did that read in the invitation?

"If you don't bring the swag, don't expect any goodies from us!"

I can't imagine anything so rude in an invitation!

I know! I've never heard of a kids' party with an overt cover charge.

I'd be so tempted to stay despite being offered no cake. I'd want to hover right behind somebody eating and say, "How's the cake? Is it good? Looks like chocolate...is that chocolate? Buttercream frosting, eh?"