Menu

Would it be worth it to go out of your way to go to Trader Joe's if...

I no longer live near a Trader Joe's. Tomorrow I have to drive quite a way (4 hours) for a work appointment and there will be a TJs about 30 minutes out of my way. I have the ability to build in the time to stop by, but I won't have a cooler to keep any food cold. I am trying to remember what I used to buy that wasn't freezer/refrigerated...but is there enough to make it worthwhile, even without a cooler?

It has been such a long time...boy do I miss my Trader Joe's!

oh yes, i'd sure say so...

amazing crackers, wine, peanut butter, wine, pastas, wine, sauces.... did i mention wine?

the best cat scratchers in existence, chocolate, cheese.... oh yes, cheeses galore.... coffee, amazing coffee

i'd go in a heartbeat,

ann

ps. given the gas cost, etc, coolers are cheap.... or maybe you have a friend who could loan you one?

No.

I think I am the only person on the planet who does not love Trader Joes. I have one about a 10 minute walk from my house and I rarely go.

It depends on what you use. They have almond flour/meal for cheaper than I've been able to find anywhere else. They have cheaper soy free tuna, the cheapest brown rice pasta out there, and grassfed butter for cheaper than I can get locally or through the co-op.

No.

I think I am the only person on the planet who does not love Trader Joes. I have one about a 10 minute walk from my house and I rarely go.

No you are not the only one. I go oh, maybe twice a year and buy 2 cases of the Tuscan Marinara. I also get baking chocolate and a couple other things, but if I had to drive out of my way I could surely replace them.

No.

Another one is agreement with you. We have one about 15 minutes away. While I don't dislike the store, there really isn't anything special to drive out of my way for either. It's VERY expensive compared to similar (organic or otherwise just free of the junk food additives) that I can get at the regular grocery store, through the food co-op, or at the farmer's market. I think because of the abundance of grocery stores in the area where I live, that most of them have become very competitive in the area of healthy food options and thus TJ prices are high because there isn't many grocery options where they are located (downtown in the area of a large university).

The frozen food is fun simply because there are choices that aren't available elsewhere but those are all splurge foods not basics.

So for me, no I wouldn't drive out of my way for one.

When I go to TJ's, I end up just spending way too much money on impulse purchases. I do like their spices (cheap!) and sugar free drink mixes, but the quality of their staples isn't enough to justify a separate trip for me. I lived less than 10 minutes from one for years and rarely, RARELY went.

Joe-Joes!

:lol: Joe-Joes are actually why I really want to go. I miss them so much! :lol:

I guess I could take a cooler (I do own one). I just didn't really want to mess with the hassle of it. The food would sit in my cooler from around noon until probably 9pm. Would putting ice on the frozen food keep it frozen?

I think I will stop regardless. It has been years since I have been to one and I'm sure I can find at least a few things to pick up.

If you have $$$ to really stock up, I'd go. I could easily spend $300 on foods that aren't just "processed". What I like is all a "good price" I like the (all of these things are organic) Tomato Sauce , Corn Flakes, Corn Chips(just like Fritos!!) , Tortilla Chips, Refried Beans, And unlike at the local store where they are 2x as much... they're about the same price! :)

Ok, I'll have to go back there and check that out. I do buy that. I didn't see it, but the day I went there were too many people in the store for me to really look at stuff.

It's with the nuts and $4lb. I've not found it anywhere close to that price, locally it is sky high. Online even buying just the nuts to grind myself it works out to about $5 a lb.

No.

Sorry, but you aren't the only person. I'm not a fan either. I stock up on raw almond butter there about twice a year because it's cheap, but otherwise I think most of what they carry is only slightly better than what I find in the grocery store pre-packaged food aisles. In fact, I find that they carry far less whole food than my local grocery store. Their produce section is incredibly limited compared to my farmer's market and it is farmore expensive.

We have a small, local health food store that I would go to ANY. DAY. over a Trader Joe's.

In fact, I find that they carry far less whole food than my local grocery store. Their produce section is incredibly limited compared to my farmer's market and it is farmore expensive.

We have a small, local health food store that I would go to ANY. DAY. over a Trader Joe's.

That must vary regionally. Although the closest TJ's has a small produce section, it is cheaper for most items than any of the local farmers markets.

Well let me see.....

We drove to Buffalo just to have a shamrock shake from McDonalds when I was pregnant with DD8.

We drove to Buffalo for asiago cheese bagels from Panera Bread when I was pregnant with DS6.

We often drive across the border just to shop at Target and eat at The Cheesecake Factory :drool5:

So ya, I would drive 30 minutes :D

I've seen a lot of you talk about TJs so iwent to their website and sure enough, they are opening one in Rochester, NY on October 5th!!!! Just in time for our annual black friday shopping adventure. Can't wait to see what all the excitement is all about.

No.

I like their reduced sugar jam (organic) and dried ginger, and their yogurt and buttermilk are fine. I pick up a few other things occasionally but it's not my main store. My dad is crazy about it and I tried a fair number of their frozen stuff when I was younger that he bought, like frozen veges in sauce. I shop at a lot of ethnic stores so I don't need TJ's interpretations.

I have a family member who works there and I appreciate that they seem to be a decent employer.

I'm totally spoiled! I've got a Whole Foods & Trader Joe's directly across the street from one other. But, I would drive 30 miles out of my way for T Joe's to get...

Wine (some of the best $4 Spanish, South American and Aussie Wines around)

Pound Chocolate bars (milk, dark, with nuts/or without)

Avocados

Artichokes (when in season they are the best you will find in Atlanta)

GF Pasta (cheap and actually tastes good)

Hummus

Goat Cheese

Dates (WF does have some great ones too but they are twice as much)

GF Oats

Almond Milk (only one better is the raw almond milk I make from scratch)

Raw Nuts (they are much cheaper than WF)

Mai Mai (very good quality from frozen fish) WF has the best for frozen wild caught Salmon.

Coconut Water Bars (yummy frozen treat that is not too high in carbs)

Laura Bars (about 20 cents cheaper than WF, except when WF has a coupon) :blink: Yes, WF now has coupons. I wonder if you can extreem coupon at WF? :lol: