Menu

Why won't some people eat corn?

Organic, non-GMO corn? I tried to research this before and could find nothing at first. Then I read that when corn entered the US, lots of disease started?:confused::confused::confused:

Any input appreciated!:bigear:

I want KILLER tanale recipe (vegan) tamales (thinking roasted or grilled veggies, possibly with Daiya cheese) unless I need to give up the corn. I buy my own organic to pop occasionally or grind into meal for cornbread. I also buy Trader Joes organic frozen for salads.

Share your wisdom, please!:D

I don't eat much corn because my body treats it like sugar. I pay for it for days to come with unstable blood sugars (as in episodes of hypoglycemia.) White rice does this to me as well. I know many people who are sensitive to corn and have to avoid it in all forms and that can be difficult because it is in so many foods.

I have a friend who says 'corn is for animals and not fit for humans.' She feels it is too high in sugar and low in other nutrients to count as a veggie. She will eat it in other items though.

I like corn. We don't have dietary issues with it. We eat it.

True, but it's hardly even slightly the same thing anymore.

It has a way higher sugar content.

I wonder why? Has it been genetically modified or have we cross bred it with something else.

My Dutch FIL shares those sentiments regarding corn. I wonder if this is a commonly held opinion among Europeans or if it is more country-specific?

Yeah, that's a general European thing. I don't know if it's fading as time goes on.

Germans sell it in both on the cobb and off, so I'm guessing it's not Europe wide. There are small roadside stands that sell it during the summer. It comes on almost every salad you order as restaurants and the premade ones at the grocery store. I know they eat it in Spain too. It never occured to me that I've never seen it on a menu in France, though I have ordered a salad that had corn on it. I love corn on my salad. Yum!

Organic, non-GMO corn? I tried to research this before and could find nothing at first. Then I read that when corn entered the US, lots of disease started?:confused::confused::confused:

Any input appreciated!:bigear:

I want KILLER tanale recipe (vegan) tamales (thinking roasted or grilled veggies, possibly with Daiya cheese) unless I need to give up the corn. I buy my own organic to pop occasionally or grind into meal for cornbread. I also buy Trader Joes organic frozen for salads.

Share your wisdom, please!:D

Mmmmmmm tamales!

We have so many other food limitations that we eat corn. I buy organic corn on the cob at the farmers' market during the summer and organic frozen corn at Costco. We also use nonGMO cornmeal. I'd like to find nonGMO or organic masa for my tortillas.

Not sure about other people but we stopped eating corn because it is being put in so much stuff already. Its so high in sugar/carbs. :001_smile:

:iagree:

Factory meat and pretty much everything processed is corn based. Read The Omnivore's Dilema. The first chapter is all about corn.

It gives us joint pain. HFCS is the worst but regular corn can do it too to some degree.

Well, it's true for me. Dh is corn-centric since he can tolerate corn but not wheat. He has sprouted corn tortillas quite a bit. And tortilla de maiz was one of the first phrases he learned in Spanish. (Aside: In Mexico they're putting more wheat flour in things rather than corn flour, and some people are suffering digestive issues.)

We don't eat much corn since we started trying to limit carbs. I also find my body doesn't process it well.

We have it occasionally because my son loves it. I never serve it as a vegetable in a meal but as a starch side dish or part of a side dish. If we have corn on the cob, there is a vegetable served along with it, and no potato, rice, bread, etc.

Corn was here when Columbus came...he brought many new 'wonder' foods to Europe including: corn, potatoes, tomatoes, cacoa, tobacco, pineapples, peanuts, etc..

Every year for Columbus Day, I would do a unit study (over several days) on his trips, the impact of them, geography, etc...I learned SO much...so did the kids.

Germans sell it in both on the cobb and off, so I'm guessing it's not Europe wide. There are small roadside stands that sell it during the summer. It comes on almost every salad you order as restaurants and the premade ones at the grocery store. I know they eat it in Spain too. It never occured to me that I've never seen it on a menu in France, though I have ordered a salad that had corn on it. I love corn on my salad. Yum!

:iagree: We've received quite a bit of organic corn on the cob from our CSA this summer, and our German exchange student gobbled it right up with the rest of us. When I lived in France, though, I went to a friend's house for Christmas, and they gave me a can of corn all wrapped in fancy paper and a bow so that I wouldn't feel homesick! :lol:

We usually only eat corn in the summer from our CSA or a farm stand. I do eat corn based mexican food throughout the year, too. I think people who want to eat low carb (and there seem to be quite a few of them these days) are not going to want to eat corn. I've always considered corn a grain or starch and not a vegetable.

I wonder why? Has it been genetically modified or have we cross bred it with something else.

I thought I replied to this, but I guess I didn't....

Corn and many other plants have been bred specifically for more and more sugar content over the years. This explains the recent rise in corn syrup as a sweetener.

If you'd eaten corn that grew even 100 years ago, the difference would be astounding (meaning an heirloom variety of course--not 100 year old corn. :tongue_smilie:).

Same with oranges, apples etc. There is more sugar in the modern versions.

I don't eat much corn because my body treats it like sugar. I pay for it for days to come with unstable blood sugars (as in episodes of hypoglycemia.) White rice does this to me as well. I know many people who are sensitive to corn and have to avoid it in all forms and that can be difficult because it is in so many foods.

I might as well be eating cake. :glare:

My Dutch FIL shares those sentiments regarding corn. I wonder if this is a commonly held opinion among Europeans or if it is more country-specific?

Climate is different. I am from Germany; the corn that grows there does not ripen to a stage that it is fit for human consumption. It can only be used as animal feed and does not play a role in the traditional diet.

We do eat imported corn there, but in much smaller quantities (no big bags of tortilla chips).

Edited by regentrude

Climate is different. I am from Germany; the corn that grows there does not ripen to a stage that it is fit for human consumption. It can only be used as animal feed and does not play a role in the traditional diet.

We do eat imported corn there, but in much smaller quantities (no big bags of tortilla chips).

I'm sorry that I didn't see your reply until now. My computer time is quite limited. However, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to explain this. My FIL has never been able to articulate the "why." Your explanation was great. Thanks! :D