Menu

Who else is still lesson planning?

I have been working all week on lesson plans for my sons 1st grade year. It has been a ton of work but I am excited how it is coming together. I bought Memoria Press' Kindergarten Manual for the Reciations, Bible Time, Memory Work, Copy work, Read alouds, Music, poetry, picture study, social studies and science lessons. I can't help but add in additional books to the social studies and science and come up with cool activities and art projects. That is really what is taking the most time. I just couldn't find a 1st grade program that fit what I was looking for, so I am making my own with MP's help.

Really just started on the scheduling thing today. Still buying curriculum even! But, I did get a good dent into it; will probably be done in another day or two. Not sure when we're starting yet. We were supposed to take a 6-wk cross country trip starting next week and it looks like it's not going to happen due to dh's work schedule and the fact that I'm waiting to hear on a decision for a job I submitted a proposal for that would need to start immediately and would be long term. I have been so bummed about this that I haven't wanted to start my planning process. The up side is that I'm kind of getting excited to begin school now...I do love the planning process!!

I've still got quite a bit left to do. I don't plan to the minute details, though. My biggest project right now is determining what the actual assignments and tests will be for TOG---figuring out what I will grade to come up with Ds's grades at the end of 9th (this year) ---and making sure I have a good course description for his transcript. There are other subjects I need to loosely plan. And I'm putting together my own course on leadership for Ds using several books. I haven't even started on it, but it's for 2nd semester.

I have to finish history and literature. I still have 8 days until schools starts so I am not behind yet!

I find our year goes so much better if I have everything input into HST+ before we start. Then I just add it to our schedule every 2 weeks and adjust as needed.

I put together a basic idea of what we want to accomplish and plant it out by the week as we go. I was giving myself a month to know what how we will reach our goals but by the end of day 4 we had it figured out. We are now going on week 3 and have the week planned out.

I've never enjoyed detailed planning, even as a PS teacher. I just "do the next thing".

It sure simplifies life.

:iagree:

But I am still working on the daily schedule. Yikes, middle school is looking very, very busy. I've been putting it off, pretending September doesn't start for, say 3-4 more months.

Cat

:iagree:

But I am still working on the daily schedule. Yikes, middle school is looking very, very busy. I've been putting it off, pretending September doesn't start for, say 3-4 more months.

Cat

Me too. :blush: And, I keep posting threads that talk about motivatign for planning. You would think I'm actually getting something done, but it's going very s l o w.

I'm still finishing up, mostly because HST+ and I are not getting along. I'm hoping I stop hating the software soon, but at this point I'm sticking it out only because of all the time I've invested in setting the program up and creating lesson plans. :glare:

Me. And we are starting tomorrow.:lol::glare: And did I mention that we moved from VA to FL last week, are staying at the beach until we close on our new house in 3 weeks, and I forgot to pack notebooks, pencils and paper? Again :lol: and :glare:

I think you should give yourself a break. I don't know how you could school with all that going on.

Dh is lesson planning....ON THE FLY! He's out in the family room giving ds a crash course lesson in Java Programming - an overview and "read chapter 1 so we can discuss it tomorrow night when I get home." This is because though I talked to dh allllllllllllllllll summer long about the Computer Science AP exam, he just got around to ordering the textbook about 9 days ago. :lol: I get to snicker on the sidelines.

I'm not bashing dh...I honestly think he's one of those guys that does a really great job flying by the seat of his pants. However, it is still kind of fun because he's lamenting about needing to get organized so ds will be ready for the test in May, meanwhile I have a lesson plan book the size of Jupiter (well, maybe a slight exaggeration - possibly just one of the moons! :biggrinjester:) and get to wave it mischieviously as I walk past not having to worry at 9:23 p.m. on a Sunday night about what needs to happen on Monday morning. It's kind of fun actually!

Faith

Me too. :blush: And, I keep posting threads that talk about motivatign for planning. You would think I'm actually getting something done, but it's going very s l o w.

I have loved reading the threads you have started!! So many inspirational and motivating posts on those. :bigear:

I still don't have planned precisely what we'll do tomorrow, our first day back doing "real" schoolwork. I think we'll take this first week just doing the basics since we also have a day-long Not Back To School Party with our HS group and a couple playdates scheduled as well as our regular life. I have spent so much time trying to prep and it just hasn't come together!!:confused:

Me. And we are starting tomorrow.:lol::glare: And did I mention that we moved from VA to FL last week, are staying at the beach until we close on our new house in 3 weeks, and I forgot to pack notebooks, pencils and paper? Again :lol: and :glare:

Oh my. You win! I'm starting tomorrow and have grand plans to just wing it. :D This is my 11th year of homeschooling and I am just NOT feeling the urge to plan. I have one student is year, and I've already covered mst of this curriculum with his sister years ago.

Honestly, I'm more excited about the muffins we plan to make tomorrow afternoon. :glare:

I'm aaaaaaallllllmost done.

I still have background and questions to write for one more history-related film.

And I remembered today that I have to re-word the quizzes for history, too. I bought the Hewitt honors syllabus for U.S. history, which includes questions for the quarterly quizzes, but we're doing modern American history (post-Civil War forward). So, I have to go over the questions, figure out which of them work for our time period and align with the materials we're using. Then, I'll have to write a few more to make up for the ones I'm dropping.

Still, I'm getting very close. Finally.

I have all of these grand plans to plan. They just never seem to come to fruition. I have procrastinated all summer long. Two days ago, I sorted through papers in my office/schoolroom. Sorted, shredded, recycled, stacked neatly - ready to file. Yesterday I sorted through pdfs on my computer and put them into folders and sub folders and sub sub folders. I also deleted a couple of them. Last night I downloaded the homeschool helper app for the Ipad and input all of the kids' subjects. Today...

Nothing. I did have a nap this afternoon. :tongue_smilie: It's that lovely time of the month when I have a headache, cramps, and can barely keep my eyes open most of the day. My nap made me feel worse instead of better, so I took a painkiller when I woke up and am finally starting to feel maybe a little motivated now - it's almost 10 p.m.

We're starting tomorrow. :lol: Very lightly, though. Morning meeting, PE, Math, and LOE phonograms and we'll call it a day.

I'm aaaaaaallllllmost done.

I still have background and questions to write for one more history-related film.

And I remembered today that I have to re-word the quizzes for history, too. I bought the Hewitt honors syllabus for U.S. history, which includes questions for the quarterly quizzes, but we're doing modern American history (post-Civil War forward). So, I have to go over the questions, figure out which of them work for our time period and align with the materials we're using. Then, I'll have to write a few more to make up for the ones I'm dropping.

Still, I'm getting very close. Finally.

Go ahead, rub it in! JK, congrats to you and I am green with envy. :DI'm in the midst of the ridiculous amount of printing I have to do for TOG Rhetoric Lit (see my Rant on the HS board).