Menu

Can't say this to anyone IRL

My sister passed away in May (I posted when that happened) and I brought back one of her cats. Here is the part I can't tell anyone in my life because most of them would think I'm nuts and the other ones might be incredibly sad (my mom and my other sister).

Damascus (the cat) sleeps on my pillow by my head and purrs in my ear all night. My dh keeps telling her to go sleep where cats belong but I love having her there. Sometimes I feel like my sister is there with me, in the cat. I've heard people make statements like that and I always thought it was weird but I now understand how it feels. It makes the tears flow thinking about it. I love having her cat but sometimes it is really hard because I wish my sister still had her cat.

Kelly

My sister passed away in May (I posted when that happened) and I brought back one of her cats. Here is the part I can't tell anyone in my life because most of them would think I'm nuts and the other ones might be incredibly sad (my mom and my other sister).

Damascus (the cat) sleeps on my pillow by my head and purrs in my ear all night. My dh keeps telling her to go sleep where cats belong but I love having her there. Sometimes I feel like my sister is there with me, in the cat. I've heard people make statements like that and I always thought it was weird but I now understand how it feels. It makes the tears flow thinking about it. I love having her cat but sometimes it is really hard because I wish my sister still had her cat.

Kelly

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I feel like we are energetic beings, and that we leave part of ourselves, our energy or spirit or whatever name you have for it, with those whom we love and bond deeply with. Whether human or animal.

I read something not long ago, about having a physicist speak at your funeral, and about the law of conservation that deeply touched me.

Kelly

Nuts? No.

Sweet? Yes.

:grouphug:

Thanks everyone! I am feeling a lot better since I put it on here. I am glad I have her cat but sad at the same time. Sometimes I'll tell the cat I love her and feel like I'm saying it to my sister. We were not close (in age or proximity growing up) due to rotten life circumstances so I feel like this is my second chance.

Kelly

I know how you feel. My aunt passed away when I was a girl, and my family inherited her cat. I didn't know my aunt that well because she lived far away, but I was always told my personality was similar to hers. The cat picked me as her person, and always liked to sleep on my pillow, purring in my ear.

Your cat must miss your sister, too, and somehow knows there is a connection between the two of you.

:grouphug: I'm sorry about your sister.

Kelly

I'm sorry about your sister. I lost mine decades ago. It's hard.

Allergic to cats so do whatever makes you feel good. I keep my Mom's recliner as "my" chair. I feel close to her when I sit in it and drink coffee!

I understand. :grouphug:

My cousin (who was like a brother to me) suddenly passed in April. One of my first priorities was to bring home his dog. I have become the surrogate pet parent that my cousin was for him. As he's an older dog, I've now begun to wonder how I will feel when he passes. In a way, he's the last living tie I have to my cousin.