Menu

Penn State Sanctions - What do you think?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have preferred the program be shut down for a while. But, I think this will make it harder for them to get "star" athletes.

In related news, I was appalled to read in articles about the Paterno statue being removed, Paterno's family's statements on what will or will not help the victims heal.

Not sure. I mean, it is not the fault of the student players.

I think the whole coaching staff should go and a new staff should come in - a total clean sweep of the staff.

And all those who knew about this and did nothing should be in prison.

In related news, I was appalled to read in articles about the Paterno statue being removed, Paterno's family's statements on what will or will not help the victims heal.

The family is obviously in denial and hurting, but I think they need to stop speaking publicly for a while.

I think they had no choice but to do something so draconian to save a little face as an organization. People want consequences for bad actions. It's just rather unfortunate because it mostly hurts those who are completely innocent.

that the NCAA had to save face and it is never right that innocent people should be punished. That is more than unfortunate...

I, as an alumnus, am still proud I attended Penn State and will support the university as long as I live because...We Are still..Penn State!

I'm not sure what to think. I'm surprised they didn't get a ban for at least one season, but maybe in the football world this is worse. It will certainly affect recruiting. How does the "vacation of wins" hurt them?

Vacating the wins means Joe Paterno no longer holds the record for most wins, which I think is good.

OP, I think I'm happy with it. I didn't think it would be very much at all, so this is good.

I think the whole coaching staff should go and a new staff should come in - a total clean sweep of the staff.

I think they had no choice but to do something so draconian to save a little face as an organization. People want consequences for bad actions. It's just rather unfortunate because it mostly hurts those who are completely innocent.

:iagree:The current players had nothing to do with what happened then. I think it's sad that uninvolved people have to suffer the consequences of some with reprehensible judgment.

The family is obviously in denial and hurting, but I think they need to stop speaking publicly for a while.

I agree. I understand that they are hurting too, but sometimes silence is best.

The more I think about the effect of the sanctions, the more I find them appropriate.

I think this should have been added to the punishment. They knew and did nothing. Shame on them. Oh and I think the Penn State library needs a new name.

I think they are about right. It's too bad innocent students will be punished, but it seems they might be trying to break the football is everything, winning is everything culture that helped allow higher ups to look the other way and cover up child rape and janitors to fear for their jobs over reporting it.

The Paterno family seems...clueless and cold.

I just read more about the sanctions, including this part:

As a result, the NCAA imposed a $60 million sanction on the university, which is equivalent to the average gross annual revenue of the football program. These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university.

I'm glad to see the amount they are fined will be put to good use.

I think they just should have closed the football program down for 2-5 years. Clearly, this college has proven they cannot hack an ethical footbal program. I also think a percentage of the sales of anything related to their football program should be donated to the victims for many, many years.

And I've read Paterno's family's statements. Wow. Are they in DENIAL!!!

I'm a daddy's girl myself but if there was a statue of my dad somewhere out there and I ever found out that my father knew someone who worked for me was sodomizing children and Dad did nothing about it, I would be out there with a hacksaw chopping down Dad's statue myself.

• $60 million fine

• Vacation of wins from 1998-2011

• Four-year postseason ban

• Players may transfer and play immediately at other schools

• Athletic department on probation for five years

What does The Hive think? Too light, too heavy, just right?

What is a postseason ban? I'm not that knowledgable about football and don't know what this means.

What is a postseason ban? I'm not that knowledgable about football and don't know what this means.

It means they cannot participate in any football games after the regular season is finished. In other words, even if their team qualifies to go to the Big 10 championship or any of the post-season college bowl games, they are automatically denied. These championship and bowl games are HUGE money makers for the universities and also help recruiting.

I think they are about right. It's too bad innocent students will be punished, but it seems they might be trying to break the football is everything, winning is everything culture that helped allow higher ups to look the other way and cover up child rape and janitors to fear for their jobs over reporting it.

:iagree:Exactly.

The part I don't agree with is vacating of the wins.

Does this mean that the players who won awards due to those wins will lose those awards? If they do, how is that not punishing the innocent and possibly even punishing some of the boys who were victims of Sandusky?

Does this mean that the players who won awards due to those wins will lose those awards? If they do, how is that not punishing the innocent and possibly even punishing some of the boys who were victims of Sandusky?

Actually the vacating the wins affects Paterno's legacy the most. He is no longer the winningest coach in college football. Players don't really win awards based on wins. They win awards based on their individual performances, like the Heisman.

If any of the players received championship rings, then those rings would not be valid anymore, but I don't know that anyone is going to round up all the rings and take them away. They will get to keep their rings. It just won't be a valid win anymore.

Actually the vacating the wins affects Paterno's legacy the most. He is no longer the winningest coach in college football. Players don't really win awards based on wins. They win awards based on their individual performances, like the Heisman.

If any of the players received championship rings, then those rings would not be valid anymore, but I don't know that anyone is going to round up all the rings and take them away. They will get to keep their rings. It just won't be a valid win anymore.

And since Paterno's family is being so wretched this was another sneaky but awesome thing for the NCAA to do. Paterno is no longer number one and he shouldn't be!!!

They did not say anything about stripping individual players of awards.

It just means Paterno is now the 5th most winning coach rather than the first. It just strips him of his achievement for the years we can prove he knew about child rapes and did nothing to keep his team's reputation.

I would have felt better with several years of no football, but DH thinks this is worse. He says it will ruin recruiting for decades rather than a few years.

I feel it is harsh enough because this will ripple across them this season and affect them several years whereas one year shutdown i think they could have weathered. (though doing that in addition to the sanctions would have been good too but what's been handed down should break up the hero worship god status of Penn State and everything is okay as long as Penn State has a winning football team attitude)

Of course, there are still legal issues and punishment pending from other entities so between them all maybe the point will get across that raping kids requires opening up a can of whoop a$$ and taking names afterwards. Anything less is unacceptable.

I'm sorry for those that will get hurt in the procees but ripping the Band aid off of hero worship of this level is going to hurt. This type of culture that allowed grown men to walk away from an active rape of anyone much less a child and discuss it with others and still come out without doing anything beyond report to my supervisor is serious issue that should be dealt with. Just punishing the ones involved isn't going to cure the attitude that created the atmosphere that allowed grown supposedly educated men to operate in such parameters. Or the belief that some football coach had more power than the board of trustees and the president of a university

Yes. This is almost exactly what I said to dh yesterday while we watched the news. They're taking away what the silence and cover-up was trying to protect. I see it both as a consequence for covering up AND a very clear message to all athletic departments that something like this can never ever ever happen again.

And I wanted to barf, or cry, when I read the Paterno family's statement.

Cat

They did not say anything about stripping individual players of awards.

It just means Paterno is now the 5th most winning coach rather than the first. It just strips him of his achievement for the years we can prove he knew about child rapes and did nothing to keep his team's reputation.

I would have felt better with several years of no football, but DH thinks this is worse. He says it will ruin recruiting for decades rather than a few years.

:iagree: Your dh is right...this is going to put a hole in their recruiting for a very long time.

I'm sorry for those that will get hurt in the procees but ripping the Band aid off of hero worship of this level is going to hurt. This type of culture that allowed grown men to walk away from an active rape of anyone much less a child and discuss it with others and still come out without doing anything beyond report to my supervisor is serious issue that should be dealt with. Just punishing the ones involved isn't going to cure the attitude that created the atmosphere that allowed grown supposedly educated men to operate in such parameters. Or the belief that some football coach had more power than the board of trustees and the president of a university

Really good point!!

No, the players awards are not affected. But vacating wins has always been a part of sanctions. In college basketball I can't tell you how many NCAA banners have been taken down due to an infraction.

That's part of the gamble of college sports. The innocent do get punished. It happens. It's part of the risk.

This lays out why the NCAA did what it did: The document is midway down the page. http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/penn_state_president_rodney_er_15.html

This was child rape - a systematic cover up of child rape from 1998 until 2011. Nothing else should count. Evidence is that Paterno and all of the higher ups at Penn State knew from 1998 and did nothing. The document details this.

I think the punishment is fair - especially under the circumstances. There is no way not to punish innocents in college sports. I can't understand the outrage over this as it happens all the time in college sports. Suddenly now, punishing an innocent is an issue?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Michigan_basketball_scandal

This was over booster payments. Do you think some kids who didn't have anything to do with the payments were punished? Yes. And it's not even remotely as bad a covering up child rape and enabling a pedophile for years.

This combined with the criminal and civil lawsuits, is satisfactory. (not that my opionion matters in the grand scheme of things ;))

I am glad they found a way to deal a very heavy blow to the idol of Penn State football, without shutting down the program. This is a win/win to me. The program can begin to heal and find healthy footing and the football ego/identity/diety position has been brought back to the ground.

My favorite part was taking away the wins. Not because I am petty, but it sets the standard of "any wins achieved on the backs of innocent victims will eventually be forfeit."

Actually these football players have it better than some others had in the past. They have two choices- go to any other college that wants them, and I am sure that other colleges are calling these players today. Or they can stay at Penn State and if they don't want to play, they still get their scholarship anyway. So they have three choices- move to another college, stay at Penn State and play just the regular season, or stay at Penn State and just finish their degrees for free.

I agree with him.

Actually these football players have it better than some others had in the past. They have two choices- go to any other college that wants them, and I am sure that other colleges are calling these players today. Or they can stay at Penn State and if they don't want to play, they still get their scholarship anyway. So they have three choices- move to another college, stay at Penn State and play just the regular season, or stay at Penn State and just finish their degrees for free.

:iagree:

I think taking away Paterno's victories is the best thing the NCAA could do. He was head coach in name only - he was too old to do much besides show up, yet he retained his position, taking all the glory and benefits of the title of head coach while his assistants did all the work. He was nothing more than a mascot. The selfishness that made him not retire was the same selfishness that made him not do something about Sandusky. For Paterno, it was all about him and his legacy. What a selfish man!

I think taking away Paterno's victories is the best thing the NCAA could do. He was head coach in name only - he was too old to do much besides show up, yet he retained his position, taking all the glory and benefits of the title of head coach while his assistants did all the work. He was nothing more than a mascot. The selfishness that made him not retire was the same selfishness that made him not do something about Sandusky. For Paterno, it was all about him and his legacy. What a selfish man!

I''m not into sports, so, honestly, I had never even heard of Paterno until this all came to light. That said, I've spent about fifteen years in academe. Here are my thoughts:

1. I don't understand why so much blame is being attributed to Paterno, compared to Sandusky. Paterno, Paterno, Paterno. Yes, he was head coach, but it was Sandusky who actually did this.

2. Clearly Paterno was in the "The buck stops here" position. Yet, he had both a lot of accolades and a lot of pressure from those above him. Again, not excusing him at all, but I know academe well enough to know that he was acting as "company man," keeping this quiet. I don't know him enough to know how much was about his legacy and how much was about protecting his school. Not that either is okay, but I've watched some real idiots "protect" schools as the risk of their students' educations and future professions.

3. Paterno, due to his death, was not given due process. We don't know what else may have come out had he survived. I don't know if there would have been anything, but I do have concerns about all that is being said about him given the lack of due process.

I''m not into sports, so, honestly, I had never even heard of Paterno until this all came to light. That said, I've spent about fifteen years in academe. Here are my thoughts:

1. I don't understand why so much blame is being attributed to Paterno, compared to Sandusky. Paterno, Paterno, Paterno. Yes, he was head coach, but it was Sandusky who actually did this.

2. Clearly Paterno was in the "The buck stops here" position. Yet, he had both a lot of accolades and a lot of pressure from those above him. Again, not excusing him at all, but I know academe well enough to know that he was acting as "company man," keeping this quiet. I don't know him enough to know how much was about his legacy and how much was about protecting his school. Not that either is okay, but I've watched some real idiots "protect" schools as the risk of their students' educations and future professions.

3. Paterno, due to his death, was not given due process. We don't know what else may have come out had he survived. I don't know if there would have been anything, but I do have concerns about all that is being said about him given the lack of due process.

If you know about something and you're in a position to do something about it yet you do nothing, you are responsible. The coaches and their wives all had to know about it. The coaches could have gone to the authorities, but Paterno had the power to do that AND ban the guy from coming anywhere near the football program. But he just had Sandusky retire but let him still come around and do whatever he wanted. So he let it continue right under his nose. That is wrong.

Even if Paterno was still alive, he probably wouldn't be healthy enough (or mentally competent enough) to undergo a trial and so forth. Just because someone isn't alive to defend themselves doesn't mean that what they allowed to go on quietly without doing anything about it is okay.

Sandusky is in jail. His punishment has been dealt. We're now talking about the rest of the people involved.

Sandusky is going to prison for a very long time. He is being punished.

Paterno was like a god on the Penn State campus. His word was law. It was very clear that after the 1998 incident that there was an intent to report Sandusky to social services. Then an email that said the president had talked with Joe and Joe wanted it handled internally. It's the same thing at Duke with Coach K or Dean Smith at UNCCH. NOTHING goes on in their programs they don't know about. What they say goes. Period.

We can see that Paterno lied under oath. He said he didn't know about the 1998 investigation. He did. That's been proven.

He - and the AD and the President of the college at the time - actively enabled a pedophile. They gave him a position that allowed him to use his status to entice victims. They made sure he retired with Emeritus status.

Paterno is no innocent. He didn't want to ruin someone's weekend in 2001? What about that poor kid that was raped in the shower? Why didn't he or someone try to find out who that poor child was?

All of this is based on Paterno's testimony and the Freeh report which Penn state solicited and has agreed to be bound by.

Sandusky is going to prison for a very long time. He is being punished.

Paterno was like a god on the Penn State campus. His word was law. It was very clear that after the 1998 incident that there was an intent to report Sandusky to social services. Then an email that said the president had talked with Joe and Joe wanted it handled internally. It's the same thing at Duke with Coach K or Dean Smith at UNCCH. NOTHING goes on in their programs they don't know about. What they say goes. Period.

We can see that Paterno lied under oath. He said he didn't know about the 1998 investigation. He did. That's been proven.

He - and the AD and the President of the college at the time - actively enabled a pedophile. They gave him a position that allowed him to use his status to entice victims. They made sure he retired with Emeritus status.

Paterno is no innocent. He didn't want to ruin someone's weekend in 2001? What about that poor kid that was raped in the shower? Why didn't he or someone try to find out who that poor child was?

All of this is based on Paterno's testimony and the Freeh report which Penn state solicited and has agreed to be bound by.

This helps me better understand. I definitely agree that the University President holds some culpability. And I do understand that Sandusky's trial is over and he is being punished; it just seems that people focus more on Paterno than him; maybe that it, for them, the next step, the unfinished business.

I think the penalties were fair. I thought the way the NCAA president put it was accurate when he spoke of a culture of "hero worship" and "win at all costs". If you followed the information in the Freeh report, they discussed how the AD and the PSU president had come to a decision on what to do about Sandusky. However that evening the AD spoke to JoePa and he told the president the next day that he was no longer sure their decision was the best. Joe had a history of sweeping things under the rug. Here is an interesting story from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/us/triponey-paterno-penn-state/index.html

It highlights a 2007 off campus incident involving an brawl that would have gotten a regular student dismissed from school. However, Joe decided he would handle it and the result was the players would clean the football stadium after home games. JoePa wielded much of the power at PSU.

I live in central PA and this is PSU country. Many folks here have season football tickets. I am not a PSU fan as I have never liked the "god-like" status JoePA has here. I think what saddens me right now is to listen to the local TV sports people bemoan these sanctions and how PSU football will be hurt. It should be hurt. These sanctions are necessary so something changes there. Those young victims needed an adult to be their voice to stop the horrible things that occurred and those adults turned a blind eye so as to not tarnish their precious football program.

I have used this whole situation as a teaching tool for my kids. You take 61 years to build an reputation and with one decision to put football first, everything you built is destroyed. It is sad.......

Too light, but then I would be happy to see college football eliminated from all universities.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

This scandal was only one symptom of a greater problem. You hear about teams covering up rapes (gang rapes even) all the time. Everyone knows its par for the course to accept players to a college who do not belong there, and that they get passed through college classes without having to show up. IMHO college football is rotten with corruption to its very core.

I have no problem with shutting down the football team. OTOH I am concerned that the $60 million dollar fee is excessive in that where is this money going to come from and how many departments and students who have nothing to do with football will potentially suffer. I am sure that there are plenty of Penn State departments and students who have nothing to do with football at all or even watch it or support it. I just think of all of the students struggling to pay for college and now this massive fine potentially hurting innocent bystanders:(. Does this mean that the cost of college at Penn State will be even more when the cost of college in general is a national crisis IMHO???

Edited by priscilla
spelling

I have no problem with shutting down the football team. OTOH I am concerned that the $60 million dollar fee is excessive in that where is this money going to come from and how many departments and students who have nothing to do with football will potentially suffer. I am sure that there are plenty of Penn State departments and students who have nothing to do with football at all or even watch it or support it. I just think of all of the students struggling to pay for college and now this massive fine potentially hurting as innocent bystanders:(. Does this mean that the cost of college at Penn State will be even more when the cost of college in general is a national crisis IMHO???

In the live press conference, the rationale for the $60 Million was that it was only ONE season of football revenue - the money explains why football was treated as a god.