Menu

Explain this to me about dog rescues

Home visits? Questionnaires numbering over a hundred questions... And then you have to talk to an adoption counselor! All three of those before you can even meet a dog!

I'm sold on the idea of rescuing a dog vs getting a backyard bred one. I am. This seems really excessive, especially paired with the multiple pleas on their site for more foster homes and money because they have too many dogs in care.

So, please, explain to me why there are so.many.hoops that I'm having a hard time wanting to open myself to something so invasive.

We found the same thing when we were looking to rescue a dog. It was insane! We actually found a shelter that was three hours away which required only a very minimal amount of paperwork and a short chat with them once you arrived to meet the dogs. We found an amazing dog! It seems logical that you can learn more about a person from talking to them for 15 minutes, then from a 10 page application. They were very concerned for the welfare of the dogs, as one young lady showed up while we were there wanting a 'tiny dog to fit in her purse'. Needless to say, they turned her down cold. :lol:

Maybe widen your search parameters?

They want to make sure you're serious about adopting. They want you (as you think about the questions) and the agency to be able to identify any potential problem areas. Most people are chock full of common sense and don't think they can leave the dog alone 16 hours a day, and have already talked about pets with the landlord, and aren't going to try to fit a Newfoundland into a studio apartment. But some people just don't think.

I worked at our animal shelter with the cats. It was heartbreaking to see cats come back because someone just changed their mind, or impulsively adopted a cat without consulting their spouse or roommate or landlord, or didn't really have time for a pet after all.

Cat

I have been a foster mom for a boxer breed rescue for about 5 years. Unfortunately in this position we see A LOT of terrible things. The main objectives of a rescue are to save as many dogs as possible and place the dogs in the appropriate 'forever homes' so that they are not returned to rescue.

You wouldn't believe how many people lie on adoption applications. They say they have a fenced in yard and then you go and they don't have a yard at all. Not that this would disqualify someone but it does raise questions. If they would lie about one thing, how do we know what else they would lie about?

Ultimately, I can tell you that I would rather keep my foster forever than have him/her adopted out to the wrong home. It's so sad to adopt a dog out only to have him returned later because the match wasn't a good one. What if they adopted out a dog who had a tendency to jump on small children and that dog hurt a small child (or worse). That would be devastating for everyone involved. There are countless scenarios here. Rescue volunteers are just trying to do the best they can and bring light into an awful situation.

They want to make sure you're serious about adopting. They want you (as you think about the questions) and the agency to be able to identify any potential problem areas. Most people are chock full of common sense and don't think they can leave the dog alone 16 hours a day, and have already talked about pets with the landlord, and aren't going to try to fit a Newfoundland into a studio apartment. But some people just don't think.

I worked at our animal shelter with the cats. It was heartbreaking to see cats come back because someone just changed their mind, or impulsively adopted a cat without consulting their spouse or roommate or landlord, or didn't really have time for a pet after all.

Cat

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We passed up those groups, and we adopted a dog from a rescue place that reuqired only a bit of paperwork and we met with them to us find the dog that best fit with our family. I do not like the idea of people coming to my house over a dog. Our sweet doggy was with us for 10 years.

We found the same thing when we were looking to rescue a dog. It was insane! We actually found a shelter that was three hours away which required only a very minimal amount of paperwork and a short chat with them once you arrived to meet the dogs. We found an amazing dog! It seems logical that you can learn more about a person from talking to them for 15 minutes, then from a 10 page application. They were very concerned for the welfare of the dogs, as one young lady showed up while we were there wanting a 'tiny dog to fit in her purse'. Needless to say, they turned her down cold. :lol:

Maybe widen your search parameters?

Exactly. I'd be happy to talk to someone and answer lots of questions, but I kinda resent a super long Internet form before they'll even deign to talk to me. :tongue_smilie:

We had to call a bunch of rescues to find one that didn't have onerous requirements. But we did. The woman who ran it said she didn't care (actually her language was more... interesting... than that) about our house, she just wanted to see us play with the dog.

Keep looking! ;)

Home visits? Questionnaires numbering over a hundred questions... And then you have to talk to an adoption counselor! All three of those before you can even meet a dog!

I'm sold on the idea of rescuing a dog vs getting a backyard bred one. I am. This seems really excessive, especially paired with the multiple pleas on their site for more foster homes and money because they have too many dogs in care.

So, please, explain to me why there are so.many.hoops that I'm having a hard time wanting to open myself to something so invasive.

Not every place you rescue an animal from will have the same forms. Some places do seem to go overboard, but I agree with another poster who said that they are trying their best to make sure that the animals are placed with people who will truly treat them well and care for them like no one ever has.

That being said, look around. Sometimes rescue groups that care for specific breeds are more picky. Sometimes it's arbitrary--we found one dog that we wanted to adopt, but the rescue group would not adopt across state lines--even though we were within one hour.

The place we adopted from did conduct a home visit and talked with us about our lifestyle, what we were looking for in a dog, how old our children were, exercise habits--the things that one should already be thinking about when they are looking to adopt a dog. Thinking about those things as you fill out paoerwork or talk with a rescue worker can make it clear if a certain breed is a good fit for you or not.

So try hard to think about the end result--adopting a pet is a wonderful gift, to both the pet and to you--and try to find a rescue group that does a good job matching pets but does not bring out your claws at the number of questions they ask or the rules they have. There are enough pets out there that need to be adopted--you will be able to find a match!

Good luck!

I'll fill out their questionnaire if they fill out mine attesting that they are not going to lie to me and give me a 5 year old cat (that hates children) and tell me it is 1 year old and loves children. Give me a dog with too many issues to list and then blame me and refuse to take him back (despite having me sign papers that I will give the dog back to them).

We have a local vet that takes in stray animals and finds them homes (we got our cat from him).

We just adopted a Bichon Frise a little over a week ago. It was a great experience. No home visit or insane forms. But I did fill out an application that covered the essentials.

Wonderful rescue group, too. Really care about the dogs and finding the right fit for each one. I found them very honest in their descriptions (this dog gets along great with kids and dogs, this dog will need a quiet environment, etc...).

They also adopt across state lines and have even adopted dogs to Canada.

ETA: The rescue also offered a foster to adopt program to make sure the dog and owner are a good fit.

Edited by KathleenSLP

We just adopted a dog in April from a breed specific rescue. The reasoning for all the questions, home visit, etc is to make sure you aren't doing this on a whim, that you're getting a dog that will fit in with your family and that the dog is going to a home that will love it and not end up back in a shelter or dumped.

I was more than happy to answer all the questions etc because it meant I got a dog that was a good fit for our home. We've never had any issues with her from the day we got her. For us they even did a home visit with the potential dog we were going to adopt to make sure she was ok with cats. We have a cat and because she was a rescue that was found dumped in a field they didn't know if she was safe around cats or not.

These rescues are in the business of making sure a dog goes to a home they'll never have to leave again unless something major such as the death of the owner happens. Many of these dogs have been bounced from place to place or just dumped off and left to fend for themselves, they've been through so much already, so the rescues want to make sure they don't go through that anymore.

After our experience with the rescue we went through, I can say I'll always use this type of place for any pets we can. When we got our cat we went to the local animal shelter and although they had plenty of animals they really didn't care if the pet we got would fit with us. They told us the cat was awesome with kids etc, well when we got home he immediately started attacking my then 5 year old and 9 year old. In the end we had to return him. We then went through a cat rescue with more rigorous screening and got a wonderful cat who has fit right in.

I hear you! We ended up buying a puppy from a breeder instead of adopting from a rescue. The rescues we dealt with didn't like that we do minimal vaccinations and don't do annual vet visits. And almost every person I spoke with had a kind of "human beings are horrible" attitude.

It seems to me they're missing out on lots of great homes for their animals in order to prevent a few returns, but I wonder if their tactics even work...? Do they have a close to zero percent pet return rate for the animals they do manage to place?

Ah well...

Not to be snarky, but if you worked for a rescue and then you'll understand why it seems a little lengthy...I will say though that I feel some organizations are maybe pushing it a little over the top.

I hope you find a pet that is a good fit for your family. I like that best about adoption. You get to choose and most of the time what you see is what you get. If the dog is already in a foster home, then that is even better. They will know more about what the dog likes and dislikes than one that sits in a cage at the pound.

I am a rescue kind of gal though. Patience will pay off in looking for the right dog for your family.

Coming from a rescue mom, former shelter worker, and who is working on her fifth rescue :D.

Not to be snarky, but if you worked for a rescue and then you'll understand why it seems a little lengthy...I will say though that I feel some organizations are maybe pushing it a little over the top.

I hope you find a pet that is a good fit for your family. I like that best about adoption. You get to choose and most of the time what you see is what you get. If the dog is already in a foster home, then that is even better. They will know more about what the dog likes and dislikes than one that sits in a cage at the pound.

I am a rescue kind of gal though. Patience will pay off in looking for the right dog for your family.

Coming from a rescue mom, former shelter worker, and who is working on her fifth rescue :D.

I really like the idea of matching animals and families. And I understand they are trying to weed out bad fits. There's also a point when people who are good pet owners aren't willing to be part of the process because it's so intrusive.

This is why I won't go to a rescue or pet adoption center. A friend of mine was once approved for a human adoption, but rejected for a pet adoption. <shrug> She got her pet elsewhere.

We rescued a "retired" greyhound. I say "retired" because she was only 2yo. :) Rescued greyhounds have specific needs that other breeds don't, so having someone visit us in our home, to explain what rehabilitating a former racing dog is like, and to be sure that our house really would be appropriate for the dog (fenced yard, not lots of steps--racing greyhounds don't know how to do steps. Really.).

We also rescued a French bulldog, and the home visit verified that the yard is fenced and that we don't have a pool (Frenchies don't swim. They sink like rocks. So if you have a pool, it needs to be Frenchie-proof.)

However, neither one had a terribly long application; we just agreed to do things like keep the doggies healthy, and in the case of the greyhound, that we'd return her to the organization if we were no longer able to keep her.

We looked at rescues before getting Cassie.

The SPCA rejected us b/c our children were 'too young'.

Rescue groups were pretty over the top. Wanted several home visits, visits w/the dog, a wknd visit w/the dog, surprise inspections...the list went on and on. *and* they were quite expensive...If I remember correctly, adoption fees started around $400.

I felt invaded. I haven't had that kind of scrutiny bringing a baby home.

Just far more intrusive than I was willing to endure.

Rescue groups were pretty over the top. Wanted several home visits, visits w/the dog, a wknd visit w/the dog, surprise inspections...the list went on and on. *and* they were quite expensive...If I remember correctly, adoption fees started around $400.

Glad it's not just me! I am NOT knocking rescues... Just certain policies some have.

Exactly. I'd be happy to talk to someone and answer lots of questions, but I kinda resent a super long Internet form before they'll even deign to talk to me. :tongue_smilie:

Part of that is that the foster people, and rescue workers, often have a day job, so they don't have the time to talk to every interested person on the phone or in person. The forms they can read late at night, when they should be sleeping, so they can pick out who would be a good fit for each dog, then call the ones that seem promising.

Same reason you fill out an application or send a resume before getting an interview. They don't have time to talk to every random person that wakes up thinking "today I want a dog".

I foster for a rescue who does an application, a vet check, and a home visit before they give out my phone number to a potential adopter. I usually spend at least an hour on the phone with the adopter so I can fully disclose everything--good and bad--about my dog. Often, there will be more than one such conversation depending on how much thinking the adopter has to do. In addition to all of the dog protection reasons described in the previous posts, the process also protects the volunteers and the foster homes.

Rescues are run by volunteers. We get hundreds of emails a month inquiring about specific dogs posted on PetFinder.com. If we immediately allowed people to have access to the fosters to meet dogs 1. We would waste huge amounts of volunteer time, which would ultimately lead to quick burnout; and 2. We would be allowing complete strangers to go to a foster's home without any type of verifiable references. People who prefer not to go through the application process would be better to go to a shelter, rather than a breed rescue that fosters in-home.

Even with good vet references, we have turned up some real wack-a-doos on the home visits--even pet hoarders. We integrate our fosters into our families so that they can learn to trust and bond with humans. I would never forgive myself if I turned my furry family member over to a pet hoarder or another neglectful home.

Edited by Beth in OH

For those that think that the bad homes are few and far between, remember....every one of those dogs in rescue came from a home that didn't work out. That's a lot of bad homes. So it makes sense to make sure the next one is better.

:iagree:

Rescues around here are nuts. I don't mind answering questions and a home visit but it gets over the top. I don't mind paying for a reasonable fee. In our state, they are not really regulated and can/try to get away with stuff. Recently, one was busted for selling sick dogs and fake vet certs yet the next county over was not allowed to sell/own animals. Most around here want 350-400 and above for dogs. My favorite are the rescues who advertise dogs with what breed they want to label the animal. Don't try to tell me a pit bull is a poodle type thing.We chose to go with a reliable breeder for our last dog.

I think the rescue groups need some regulations. For example the one out near CA needs someone to regulate that. They want 1500 for a dog and require you use special food you buy from them.

I totally understand the vounteers time, etc. I do.

I just think that some places get really overboard.

I don't allow *family* to simply show up whenever they like, and expect to come in and go through my home...I'm not going to be ok w/strangers doing so.

Like I said, I do understand the why of many of the policies...but I also think some places take it too far.

I think that it discourages ppl, I really do. How many families walk away from rescuing a pet b/c of all the flaming hoops to go through? I know some will argue that if they can't be bothered to go through the hoops, they're not committed to a pet, but I know that for us, that's simply not true.

I wasn't going to disclose our freakin income either, tyvm. That was another thing. :glare:

For those that think that the bad homes are few and far between, remember....every one of those dogs in rescue came from a home that didn't work out. That's a lot of bad homes. So it makes sense to make sure the next one is better.

:iagree:

The day our new fur baby was dropped off for good the rescue volunteer was late because she had to go pick up one of their past rescues that was dumped off at the local pound. This is why my application and home visit stuff was much more involved than the past ones. They had been having to deal with dump offs because they weren't screening enough.

Yes some rescues charge what seems like high fees, ours was $365, but the rescue also took care of spaying surgery as well as surgery for entropion on our dog before we got her as well as all sorts of treatments for the mange she got from being dumped in a field and left to fend for herself. All of that was well over $2000 to treat. That was also on top of all the money for food and transporting her from Alabama to Virginia. I think what I paid was fair, and I know it will go to help the next dog in need.

You guys are raining on my irritation parade, FYI. Making all these reasonable explanations for why they are so strict when I just wanted to whine... :lol:

:lol: I totally hear you....FWIW, I felt the same way you do when I was adopting my golden from a rescue. It wasn't until I started fostering and saw the inner workings of the process that I understood there was a method to the madness. That having been said, I agree that some rescues are over the top. I like to think my rescue is professional and quite reasonable ;)

Well, I have to say I agree. To adopt a child, fine... to "adopt" a dog... no. Really, I take wonderful care of my dog. Maybe less walks than he wants, but he has an overall wonderful life.... I've thought of adopting another pup but I don't really want to go through home visits...ect. I have a fenced yard, but there was a bit of "in between time" when we had to get it back up. We walked him for about 2.5hrs a day just to make sure he didn't have house accidents. I took him to a closed field to fetch the ball and run. (For the first couple months or so he was never off the leash) I actually think that walking him all that time was why he is SUCH a good dog :)

I had four kids living at home and he never got out. (He has since... but that's because we have the fence and sometimes it gets left open.) He's such a wonderful dog that when he does get out, he comes and sits on the front porch...

I'm pretty sure that if I ever get another dog I'll purchase from someone who shows dogs.... I'm thinking of a wheaten terrier :) or some sweet dog...

We looked for close to a year for another LGD and it became obvious that no rescue was going to let a working dog WORK! Yeah, we bought one from a "pasture breeder". My dd looked for months for her dog--since she was an apartment dweller, no go. She ended up buying a purebred. The rescues really lost out on a great owner--she had the dog in the apartment very successfully for 2 years and now Abbie is a ranch dog. Second dd couldn't get a rescue as she's Navy. It's so silly. By setting the bar ridiculously high, they miss out on great dog owners. I've seen what can happen with mistreated dogs, but there has to be a middle ground.

I won't support our local rescue--they would not give us any help on neutering a stray barn cat. Hello! He's not my cat--he was dumped on us and I simply don't have $200 to take him to the vet. He occasionally gets wormed and he steals food from the LGD (it's pretty funny to watch a 10 lb. cat growl off a 100 Great Pyr!) and generally lives a pretty good life hunting. He has lots of haysheds to shelter in and occasionally will be spotted curled up on a sheep! The local "rescue" will capture feral cats, neuter them and turn them loose. That's nuts--if feral cats have such a horrible life (and they do) then why not put them down right then? Why turn them loose to try to make it at -40, starving to death?

I think they started off great but went way off the deep end. My poor neighbor has tried several rescues but they won't adopt to them because they don't have a fence. He owns his own business and works from home. His dogs are very spoiled. They put a deposit on a dog through a breeder last week.

When we adopted Bam-Bam (RIP, Bammies!) we went through a breed-specific rescue, and although we had to jump through hoops, I completely understand why we had to do it. The dogs at the rescue have already gone through at least one other home and they want to make sure they don't go through any more. The process for this rescue included an application and then in interview in our home. It wasn't a big deal. We didn't have anything to hide and met the requirements. Although they did have a fence requirement, I feel in talking to them that they would have been flexible about it if everything else checked out and you could make alternative arrangements for the dog. While *you* are probably a very nice, responsible person who is willing to give a dog a good home, not everyone is like you. There are a lot of people who do lie to get animals through rescues because they do not meet their requirements, and there are other people who think they want a dog and aren't able to have one. An interview can reveal a lot about a person who might otherwise look good on paper.

The breeder we used for our latest dog worked the same way, minus the in-home visit. She wouldn't even talk to you unless you filled out her very long, detailed questionnaire. If there were red flags on that she MIGHT ask you to clarify. Maybe. If she got red flags from talking to you, you were done. We couldn't even meet the puppies until we had gone through all those steps, including an interview with her and her grown-up dogs -- if the pack didn't like you, you were also done. Even then we couldn't just pick out any puppy we wanted -- she matches her puppies based on personality. If she doesn't have a puppy with the right temperament for you -- you wait. If she has a couple puppies that would fit, only then do you get to pick.

Frankly, I'd rather work with a careful breeder or a careful rescue because they generally know the animals that are coming to you fairly well and they care about and for the animals more.

When we adopted Bam-Bam (RIP, Bammies!) we went through a breed-specific rescue, and although we had to jump through hoops, I completely understand why we had to do it. The dogs at the rescue have already gone through at least one other home and they want to make sure they don't go through any more. The process for this rescue included an application and then in interview in our home. It wasn't a big deal. We didn't have anything to hide and met the requirements. Although they did have a fence requirement, I feel in talking to them that they would have been flexible about it if everything else checked out and you could make alternative arrangements for the dog. While *you* are probably a very nice, responsible person who is willing to give a dog a good home, not everyone is like you. There are a lot of people who do lie to get animals through rescues because they do not meet their requirements, and there are other people who think they want a dog and aren't able to have one. An interview can reveal a lot about a person who might otherwise look good on paper.

The breeder we used for our latest dog worked the same way, minus the in-home visit. She wouldn't even talk to you unless you filled out her very long, detailed questionnaire. If there were red flags on that she MIGHT ask you to clarify. Maybe. If she got red flags from talking to you, you were done. We couldn't even meet the puppies until we had gone through all those steps, including an interview with her and her grown-up dogs -- if the pack didn't like you, you were also done. Even then we couldn't just pick out any puppy we wanted -- she matches her puppies based on personality. If she doesn't have a puppy with the right temperament for you -- you wait. If she has a couple puppies that would fit, only then do you get to pick.

Frankly, I'd rather work with a careful breeder or a careful rescue because they generally know the animals that are coming to you fairly well and they care about and for the animals more.

I spoke to the breeder of my soon to be puppy for almost 2 hrs in our first call, verbally going through her questionaire.

A home/in person visit wouldn't work, b/c there's no breeder in my province that I've been able to find! :lol:

But, like the breeder you mention, ours is doing the temperment testing today, and I'm waiting to find out which pup we should be getting. She had a specific candidate in mind, just waiting to see how the temperment testing went, if it bore out what she was thinking or not.

I *get* careful. I honestly do. But there's careful, and then there's borderline insanity.

Like I said, I'm not disclosing our annual income to be able to adopt a dog. Nuh uh, no way, not gonna happen. I'm not having my home invaded any time someone takes a whim to do so.

We did adopt Jack the cat from a rescue.

I spoke to the breeder of my soon to be puppy for almost 2 hrs in our first call, verbally going through her questionaire.

A home/in person visit wouldn't work, b/c there's no breeder in my province that I've been able to find! :lol:

But, like the breeder you mention, ours is doing the temperment testing today, and I'm waiting to find out which pup we should be getting. She had a specific candidate in mind, just waiting to see how the temperment testing went, if it bore out what she was thinking or not.

I *get* careful. I honestly do. But there's careful, and then there's borderline insanity.

Like I said, I'm not disclosing our annual income to be able to adopt a dog. Nuh uh, no way, not gonna happen. I'm not having my home invaded any time someone takes a whim to do so.

We did adopt Jack the cat from a rescue.

I don't agree with disclosing an annual income either. That isn't necessary. I'd be okay with a vet reference if that was required (the rescue we used didn't) to make sure that you have met the medical needs of past pets.

Our breeder doesn't ship dogs. I take that back -- she shipped one after a long phone call and reference checks from one person and was a wreck about doing it. It was the only time. If you want one of her puppies, you travel. She's had people travel to NH from Canada, Pennsylvania, even Florida. Thankfully for us, she lives 30 minutes away so traveling wasn't a problem.

Good luck with your new puppy, Impish! Post pics for your fellow dog-lovers.

I don't agree with disclosing an annual income either. That isn't necessary. I'd be okay with a vet reference if that was required (the rescue we used didn't) to make sure that you have met the medical needs of past pets.

Our breeder doesn't ship dogs. I take that back -- she shipped one after a long phone call and reference checks from one person and was a wreck about doing it. It was the only time. If you want one of her puppies, you travel. She's had people travel to NH from Canada, Pennsylvania, even Florida. Thankfully for us, she lives 30 minutes away so traveling wasn't a problem.

Good luck with your new puppy, Impish! Post pics for your fellow dog-lovers.

Yeah, for me, I cannot travel. Seriously. I don't want to imagine how bad RSD would flare up. Not to mention, no way could I handle a dog crate, etc one armed. I'd be a total mess, pretty incapacitated...and wouldn't THAT make a lovely first impression? Unable to properly follow a convo, staring off into space, getting snippy and snappy (I honestly do my best, but when the pain gets really bad...) and/or drugged into a zombie like state.

I'd be lucky not to get reported and arrested, let alone approved for a puppy! :lol:

(In discussing future vacations, we've already figured I'll need a min of a day on either end to recover from the actual travel)

I see both sides. I think some rescue groups are lazy and don't examine people well enough or put enough money into the animals while they are in their care. I have a good friend who was ripped off by one of our rescue groups because they gave her a "healthy, young" cat who was actually elderly and quite ill. Their vet was shocked.

And I tried to get a rabbit through a rescue group and it was insane. I have Angora rabbits. The cannot live in my house most of the year - they really need to be about 60 degrees or they get hot. The measures I go through for these little stinkers in the summer are hysterical. Anyway, they have a fenced in ACRE to run in safely all day long if we're home and a very nice, custom made coop. None of the rescues would deal with me because I don't have house rabbits. I have my own hayfield and I only feed them organic foods. Oh, and I spay and neuter them and take them to the vet every year and of course more if they need it. But because I refuse to lock my rabbits up in a CAGE all day long, we suck. :001_huh:

So we go to breeders. My rabbits would never end up in a rescue but I'd be perfectly happy to rescue a bunny if they'd let me. My vet says she's never seen such lean and muscled Angoras. I guess cage life is better? :confused:

I did get our newset dog from a local county shelter and it was a snap. Filled out a form and they called my vet. Asked if I had a fence and then we spent quite awhile discussing personalities. I went home with Riker that afternoon.

My 15 year old wanted to adopt her dog (it was a specific dog) from a rescue agency. I put her in charge, thinking that she would never make it through. Her dog is 2 or 3 years old now. It was a very extensive process. She had to have three adult recommendations plus a letter from her vet. We had to drive over an hour to get it and she had to pay $250. They did not do a home visit though nor would I have allowed one.

We also had to contract to have the dog fixed which we did. We have four cats and two dogs - five males and one female - all fixed. Then we have my hubby (also fixed) and five females in the house. Very little testosterone and a whole lot of estrogen but hopefully no more additions.

My 15 year old wanted to adopt her dog (it was a specific dog) from a rescue agency. I put her in charge, thinking that she would never make it through. Her dog is 2 or 3 years old now. It was a very extensive process. She had to have three adult recommendations plus a letter from her vet. We had to drive over an hour to get it and she had to pay $250. They did not do a home visit though nor would I have allowed one.

We also had to contract to have the dog fixed which we did. We have four cats and two dogs - five males and one female - all fixed. Then we have my hubby (also fixed) and five females in the house. Very little testosterone and a whole lot of estrogen but hopefully no more additions.

I think the home visit specifically is irking me. Drive by to check for a fence? Sure! But I'm not really keen on letting someone I don't know come scope out my house.

I think the home visit specifically is irking me. Drive by to check for a fence? Sure! But I'm not really keen on letting someone I don't know come scope out my house.

This is partly to rule out hoarders. You have no idea how many people have dozens and dozens of animals, in cages, gross conditions, that want to adopt another. It is awful. And the only way to know is to visit the home.

Also, I wonder if the requirements are stricter in areas with lots of dog fighting? I'm in florida, it is very common, and yes, that is a HUGE worry of rescue groups. Even dogs that don't look like fighting dogs can be "adopted" then used as bait dogs.

Add in the ones that want to adopt but can't afford to feed or vet the animal (LOTS), the ones that have another dog that is aggressive to other dogs, etc etc etc.

No way would I EVER do this. I'd get a free dog from someone. Or go to the Humane Society.

Nobody gets personal information from me especially filled out on some internet form. Are you kidding me?

:iagree: They're called rescue dogs for a reason. And the rescue organization wants to make sure they are going to go the the right forever home. No one is required to adopt from a rescue organization, but if you do, you follow their rules.

I haven't read all the responses, so sorry if I'm repeating anything.

The home visits are likely to make sure that your home is pet appropriate - see what kind of yard you have, make sure your house isn't way too small for the breed, make sure you have running water, etc. It may also be to make sure you aren't a pet hoarder who already has 25 animals at home that you aren't telling them about.

The long list of questions & talking to adoption counselor would be to make sure you've done your research and know what you're getting into. Many people don't bother to research breeds before getting a dog. Then they find out the breed they got was the wrong one for them - "Oh no! This dog is way to big for our tiny apartment" "This breed doesn't like toddlers that want to pull on its tail & use it as a pillow" "Little dogs are more likely to use the bathroom all over the house, instead of waiting for me to take them for a walk," etc. A lot of dogs end up in shelters or dumped by the side of the road simply because people don't bother to learn about breeds & make sure they find a good breed for their situation. Also, rescue dogs may have been abused, neglected, starved, all kinds of horrible things. They need to make sure you can handle what you're getting. Some might need on-going medical attention due to abuse. PAWS had a cat that had been put in bleach & had wounds that wouldn't heal, needed lots of vet appts, had to have feet soaked daily, etc. Some pets have psychological issues from their mistreatment. Our rescue dog has major separation anxiety due to being abandoned. Before they just hand over an animal, they need to know that the family knows how & is willing to care for it properly, that it will not spend all day home in a crate, that all adults in house know & agree about getting the pet, that the people will train the dog, etc. It's all about making sure that the animal goes to a good home, with responsible people.

On this very board, I've seen people recommend lying to a rescue organization or shelter so that they will give you the animal you want.

Maybe that's why they insist on home visits and extensive interviews?

On this very board, I've seen people recommend lying to a rescue organization or shelter so that they will give you the animal you want.

Maybe that's why they insist on home visits and extensive interviews?

YES. THIS. I was JUST about to post the very same comment. And I"m certain that there are few pet rescues who have the financial resources to survive a lawsuit from an adopter who was less than honest on their application and took home a dog who bit their two year old child. They just don't. Dog bite lawsuits are a goldmine, and I don't know an animal organization on the planet that doesn't live in fear of this.

I wont' even get into people who attempt to "adopt" dogs from rescue organizations claiming they will be family pets but instead sell them by the pound do research labs, or as bait dogs.

Adopted children have advocates after adoption. Adopted pets do not.

astrid

Well, I wouldn't buy a dog from a breeder without having visited their home. So I don't think it's unreasonable to have a person from a rescue organization visit my home before placing their dog with me.

That said, we adopted our last dog direct from a shelter although we had also looked at rescue organizations. He is a wonderful part of our family now, but there are trade-offs. The shelter wanted little to no information about our family, and it was not invasive in any way. However, he had mange, which required daily baths and medication for the first couple of weeks. (Once his hair grew in properly, he looked very different from the dog we picked up.) If he had had heartworm or other conditions, we would have had to treat him for those, too. Also, we had no information about his background and any behavior issues he might have. Dogs in the shelter environment behave differently; it took almost a year before he seemed to completely settle in to his "true" personality. So we bore the risks of health and behavioral issues. If we had adopted through a reputable rescue, they would have taken care of his medical issues, would have worked on training him, and would have been able to tell us in much greater detail about his personality and behavior.

So I think you have to look at the pros and cons of each situation. I think rescue organizations perform an important function in getting dogs out of shelters before they are euthanized, and healing, rehabilitating and training them so that they're ready to go to a permanent home. I think that they are an excellent option for people who are not equipped to do these things themselves. I do think that some of them have extreme requirements, but I believe that they have the best interests of the dogs at heart. They've lived with these dogs as a part of their family, and want to make sure they find a good home.

I remember when I applied for my first rescue boxer many years ago. I remember being all nervous about the home visit and making sure everything was spotless and clean and the kids were dressed in their Sunday best. The chick was there like 5 minutes. I was all disappointed. I even baked cookies for goodness sake! Haha!

Fast forward 5 years and I've now been a volunteer for this same organization ever since. I've done countless home visits. I can tell you this. They don't care about your mess. Or your laundry pile. Or your tiny kitchen. I want to know if you have represented yourself correctly on your application. I want to see your existing animals and their provisions and health. I want to SEE the person behind the application.

Often times, at least in our rescue, the applicant and the director make a mutual decision on what dog best fits their needs. The director contacts the foster family and the foster family does the home visit. In many cases, this dog is my baby... I have loved him/her back from being ridden with heart worms, intestinal parasites, broken, abused, beaten, neglected, starved, mange, pregnant, scars, wounds, emaciated, unloved, forgotten, on and on and on. I have, in many cases, brought this dog back from certain death. And not just me... but my family... my kids... my husband. When we turn this dog over to his/her new family... I am giving you a piece of my families heart. When I come to a home visit I want to look you in the eye and feel that I'm giving this baby over to someone that I trust.

I know that rescue criteria seems overkill. Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't. But I do know that most volunteers really do just have the animals best interest at heart. I would rather keep my foster forever than have him/her have to endure ONE more day of sadness.

:grouphug: Good luck in your search!