Menu

What are YOU reading? Not homeschooling related

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something fun. Or even serious. Just not parenting or homeschooling related. :D

I just started the Tess Gerritsen Rizzoli and Isles books, and I am reading diet/nutrition books on Paleo/Primal/low-carb.

We start school at the end of July, so I need to read MY stuff now. :001_smile:

I just read "The Christmas Wedding" by James Patterson in the popular books section. It was sweet and a quick read. It was a fictional memoir of a widow remarrying years later and creating her ideal wedding and getting her grown children togeather for Christmas.

I just finished 3 books.

Anita Shreve's Fortune's Rocks NOT a 'happily ever after' book. But then Anita has a way of showing us that life is full of hard decisions.

Nicholas Sparks Dear John which I mistakenly thought would be a "happily ever after" book. WRONG!!!! This one made me sooo sad!

Patricia Cornwell Port Mortuary. What can I say, Scarpetta deals with dead people and her personal life is a mess, so this one wasn't the "feel good" book of the century either.

I picked up 50 shades of grey today! This one better be more positive or I'm going to start reading children's fairy tales again.

I'm reading The Count of Monte Cristo for an online book group. Since there's a schedule and we're not supposed to talk about anything past this week's chapters, I'm trying not to read ahead. It's hard though.

To fill in the space, I'm also reading The Hangman's Daughter. It's my Kindle Lending Library book for June (for Amazon Prime members who own a Kindle device). As if two books at a time is not enough, I'm also reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes when I just want a quick story from start to finish.

Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin. I've already watched the first 2 season of the show and read the Wikipedia plot lines and spoilers. I'm glad I did because I get attached to characters and he is one who likes to kill them off.

Very detailed, involved books with a huge following. :001_smile:

I am reading "The Dressmaker of Khair Khana" by Gayle Taemach Lemmon. It didn't get great reviews on Amazon, but I'm enjoying it. It's a pretty easy read. It's a true story about a woman and her sisters in Afghanistan when the Taliban took over and how they started a dressmaking business on the sly to support their family.

I just read Code Name Verity. SOOOOOOO good. You all must go out and read it now.

I have seen and heard nothing but praise for this book but I am not really enjoying it all that much. :001_unsure: I'll have to wait until I actually finish before I make my final call.

Tai Chi Chun By Wong Kiew Kit

I'm also half reading Mansfield Park. It is kind of predictable so I'm not really into it.

I just bought The Art of Chi Kung by the same author and Scarecrow Returns by Matthew Riley.

Edited by Parrothead

I love these threads. As usual, I just added a bunch to my to be read list. (As if I needed to add to the list. :lol:)

Let's see. Not counting parenting/homeschooling books, right now I'm reading:

The Alzheimer's Prevention Program by Gary Small. One of my biggest fears is losing control of my mind. I've been reading this book pretty slowly. There's some interesting bits of information in here, I guess I'm just not finding it very engaging.

Working Out Sucks! by Chuck Runyon. This book is great. It's arranging in very short, easy to read chapters, and the author is speaking directly to the reader. And unlike many books about exercise and eating right, he's not just going on about all the good things. The author will straight up say, yes, sometimes you want to sit down and eat four plates full of greasy, delicious food, BUT.... here's why you shouldn't.

The Story of English in 100 Words by David Crystal. Another book that's great for reading in small chunks. Exactly what it sounds like. The author has chosen 100 English words, and shows how each word shows an aspect of the English language. Very interesting.

Dog Massage: a whiskers to tail guide to your dog's ultimate massage experience by Maryjean Ballner. No, I'm not kidding. And this is exactly what it sounds like. :lol:

Book of the Dead (A Scarpetta novel) by Patricia Cornwell. Something like the 10th book in a series. I've actually read this entire series twice already, and am now on my third time through. I love this series. All about a forensic pathologist, Kay Scarpetta, and those around her.

A Murder on the Appian Way by Steven Saylor. Another series I'm re-reading. This one is about a private investigator in ancient Rome. Really great series.

Don Quixote by Cervantes. One of these days I'll get through this book. Maybe this time. Maybe. Probably not though. :lol:

Slaughter-House Five by Vonnegut. Interesting. I think.... I'm really not sure if I'm interested or confused.

I've recently finished:

An Incomplete Education by Judy Jones and William Wilson - really interesting. I *loved* this. So much that I have an updated copy on hold at the library to check out the changes. The authors have compiled a bunch of random knowledge together in one book, a bunch of cultural references that might be made in a news article or at a dinner party but not explained. The version I read gave a quick overview of the Shakespeare plays, spent two pages on the world's major religions, explained the different categories of numbers, philosophical theories, artists, important historical people and wars, scientific theories, opera.... so much more. Really. I can't say enough good things. I love, love this book. Read it. :D Oh, and the authors are funny too.

Predator by Patricia Cornwell (plus all the other Scarpetta books that come before) - already read it twice. Obviously I like it. :lol:

Better Than Normal: How What Makes You Different Can Make You Exceptional by Dale Archer. Good book about the positive qualities that can come from personalities with ADD, OCD, bipolar, etc. tendencies.

The Venus Throw by Steven Saylor (plus the other Roma Sub Rosa books)- great books.

...would be more, but I've been reading mostly parenting books about grief, anger, and defiance in children. :glare: It's been fun times around here lately with a certain 6 year old.

Coming up are:

Rubicon by Steven Saylor

Maphead by Ken Jennings

Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell

The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson

The Intellectual Devotional by David Kidder

In the Land of Invented Languages by Arika Okrent

I've been reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. They're fun, silly murder mysteries.

I love these books. I actually just got my non-reading mother hooked on them. She is halfway through the first one. That is huge. This is the most I've seen her read in..... ever?? :D

Patricia Cornwell Port Mortuary. What can I say, Scarpetta deals with dead people and her personal life is a mess, so this one wasn't the "feel good" book of the century either.

I'm currently re-reading the Scarpetta series for the third time. Patricia Cornwell is one of my all time favorite authors.

I have seen and heard nothing but praise for this book but I am not really enjoying it all that much. :001_unsure: I'll have to wait until I actually finish before I make my final call.

Oh no! I just liked reading such a strong voice and such an unreliable narrator.