Menu

What are YOU reading? Not homeschooling related

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Code Name Verity last week in one sitting, and LOVED IT!!!! OmG. Maybe we should start a thread just for it, cuz I did have questions at the end, but LOVED it. Read it almost all the way through a second time actually.

Today I finished Among Others by Jo Walton, that Rivka had rec'ed a couple weeks ago. I like it alright, not sure I loved it though. Another friend who had read all the books that the main character mentions DID love it though, so I wonder if that's my problem: I'd only read a small fraction of the books she listed. I started a reading list to get through at least some of them.

I just started Orlando by Virginia Woolf. The language is so different from the 2 above though that it's slow going so far. I hope to get more into it as it goes on.

What was open on the counter for me to read while I cooked so I wouldn't have to stop:

Earth Sheltered Housing Design: Guidelines, Examples, and References

by The Underground Space Center, University of Minnesota.

It's fantastic... if you are seriously interested in designing and building an earth-sheltered home yourself! :D It is a huge study of many of the aspects of earth-sheltered home design, from groundwater levels to laws to slope stability to placement of vegetation types to increase energy efficiency.

Wool.

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Omnibus-Edition-ebook/dp/B0071XO8RA/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

I just started the (very affordable) omnibus edition a few nights ago. Not my usual genre, but I wanted something different.

I like reading classics but need to be attentive when reading them, and tend to be too drowsy to focus by the end of the night, which is when I do most of my reading.

What was open on the counter for me to read while I cooked so I wouldn't have to stop:

Earth Sheltered Housing Design: Guidelines, Examples, and References

by The Underground Space Center, University of Minnesota.

It's fantastic... if you are seriously interested in designing and building an earth-sheltered home yourself! :D It is a huge study of many of the aspects of earth-sheltered home design, from groundwater levels to laws to slope stability to placement of vegetation types to increase energy efficiency.

I have that book! :D

For fun: Ordinary Jack

To keep up with my sons' summer reading for school: A Chance in the World. I just finished it today. Lord of the Flies is next.

On audiobook: just finished Scat by Hiaasen and am enjoying The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs by Smith.

We loved that series of books. We also listened to them in audio, mostly in the car. Never coudl get into the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency though.

I just started Catching Fire...but now DS#2 is reading it up in his room.

Working my way through the works of David Eddings. It's been about a year, so I felt it was time :D

Finished the Elenium trilogy and now working my way through the Tamuli books. Belgariad and Mallorean books to follow.

After that... we'll see how frivolous I'm feeling.

Working my way through the works of David Eddings. It's been about a year, so I felt it was time :D

Finished the Elenium trilogy and now working my way through the Tamuli books. Belgariad and Mallorean books to follow.

After that... we'll see how frivolous I'm feeling.

Ah, Belgarion and Ce'Nedra (Silk and the rest) are like visiting good friends I've known for 25 years! I haven't made that trek in a few years, I should revisit :)

(Sparhawk wasn't my favorite, good, but not as good. Maybe I should start there as it's been even longer since I've read the Elenium/Tamuli ...)

I spent all day reading the breadth vs.depth thread from here and took about 8 pages of notes and wrote down about 20 new titles to check in to.

Other than that, I just finished Mr. Wentworth's Diary (of Persuasion fame) which I liked very much. Am also reading 5 Red Herrings by Dorothy Sayers, and very slowly Technopoly and Dorothy Sayers: the Centenary Celebration. Folks who actually knew Sayers, or worked with her each write an essay about her or her work. Sayers has been my new found obsession this year.

Just finished John Grisham's new book - Calico Joe. It was on a recommendation from my 13yo. I liked it.

Next up is Home, by Toni Morrison, but not until I have all my curriculum picked and ordered. It could be a while. :glare:

I just finished Surprised by Oxford. I really liked it. I heard the author speak at our church, her FIL was a founding pastor. It's a great Christian testimony.

I read this last year and enjoyed it so much. Thanks for reminding me of it. I'd like to own a copy. I read one from the library.

Reading my way through Charles Dickens at the moment. Realized how much of a gap there was in my literary reading. So far I read Bleak House, Nickolas Nickelby, Drood and starting on the Pickwick Papers. The best part - they are all available for cheap at my used book store! He was such a gifted writer sometimes just one chapter has enough for me to think about for the rest of the day! Love his descriptions of characters and of London.

Ummm...does "Quiet" count as non-school related? I started out reading it just for myself, but it's rapidly becoming a great deal more about school than I intended when I started.

Otherwise, I'm reading a book by Thich Nhat Hahn and one by Jack Kornfield (which isn't the one I really wanted to read, but the library doesn't have it). Oh, and I just got Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" from the library today.

And a couple of cookbooks...can't forget the cookbooks.

Loving it!

"The feline quality of Michael Ondaatje’s “The Cat’s Table†will appeal to anyone who wants to curl up with a playful novel that can bite. This story of retrospection and introspection moves gracefully through a three-week adventure when the narrator was an 11-year-old boy, traveling on a steamer from Sri Lanka to England. The passing decades have transformed that boyhood voyage into a series of burnished moments, some comic, some tragic, some tenaciously mysterious. The result is lithe and quietly profound: a tale about the magic of adolescence and the passing strangers who help tip us into adulthood in ways we don’t become aware of until much later."

(Read the rest of the Washington Post's review here.)

For the past month I have been reading teenage dystopian novels. I don't know why. Be fore that it was zombies & vampires lol. I am starting the Uglies series tomorrow.

I've gotten into the dystopian novels recently too. And the young adult ones seem to be better than the adult ones. The Uglies series is great, I think you'll enjoy it!

I'm working my way through Rosemary Sutcliff's books set in ancient Britain, but not because of anything related to hsing -- I've just wanted to do this for a long time, because I love the subject. Started off with a book set in the late Stone Age and am now, 15 or so books later, starting Frontier Wolf, which is set in the waning days of Roman Britain.

The Lost Years of Merlin by T. A. Barron.

Enjoying them quite a bit.

Just finished Dan Brown's Deception Point and Digital Fortress, I'd forgotten what a good writer he can be as I was not a huge fan of the DaVinci Code.

Thinking of trying the Lemony Snicket books for the summer.

Reading my way through Charles Dickens at the moment. Realized how much of a gap there was in my literary reading. So far I read Bleak House, Nickolas Nickelby, Drood and starting on the Pickwick Papers. The best part - they are all available for cheap at my used book store! He was such a gifted writer sometimes just one chapter has enough for me to think about for the rest of the day! Love his descriptions of characters and of London.

How are you liking the Dickens? I started Bleak House because I'd caught an episode of the old BBC [i think it was] series, and hadn't followed it much. But I was turned off by the incomplete sentences just on the first page. In fact the very first sentences. or three. were incomplete. I thought maybe I'd gotten a bad Kindle version [most of the old classics are FREE as kindle versions, and will work on almost any ereader], so I PBSed for it, but no, the print version is the same. But I've always wanted to read Pickwick Papers because of Little Women.

I'm reading financial planning books for people who are going to retire in the next decade. :001_huh: I always wondered why my father spent so much time fussing over his retirement investments. Now I know why. (He didn't want to outlive them.)

Ack. I'll be starting my career in the next decade or so.... :glare: I might be able to retire some time before the end of the world. Or not.... :tongue_smilie:

The Romanovs by Massie

I stay up way too late reading.

How is this? It's been added to my to be read list. I love Russian history, up until 1917. I considered focusing on Russian history in graduate school, but didn't want to have to learn Russian. :001_huh:

This week (while I was cooped up indoors from a tropical storm) I read Birthmarked and Prized by Caragh M. O'Brien, then I read Austenland by Shannon Hale.

And then I wondered why I felt depressed. :001_huh: I think I need a break from teenage dystopia and even mildly romantic fiction. :lol:

I just finished Thousand Splendid Suns (I know, behind the times :) ) and loved it. I find Hosseini's writing so beautiful. I just started reading White Oleander, given to me by a friend. Janet Fitch's writing is so different (from Hosseini) but I'm hoping I can get into it.

I started reading The Chronicles of Narnia this week. I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe when I was a kid and I tried to read Prince Caspian in college and tried once to get through The Boy and His Horse.

I like CS Lewis (Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters) but I've never read Narnia :blushing:

I hate to say that I'm not terribly sure if it's my thing or not. I love LOTR so I thought I'd like it, but....

I'm seeing it through to the end though!