Menu

Do your kids whine/complain when they have to run errands with you?

It's not so much that they whine, but they act crazy every where we go. You'd think I never let them out of the house the way they behave. I have had just too many people look at me and say, "Well, you have your hands full!" with that knowing smirk. /sigh/

Eldest is okay with running errands. Youngest prefers biking them.

They are both happy with walking errands.

Driving in a car to do errands is usually good for both and considered a bit of a treat. (unless over 10 minutes in the car at once, then Youngest will complain about feeling strange from being in the car so long.)

:p

(I'm sure you didn't mean running errands as in running using your feet. But in my house running errands means literally Running them... I bike, but if you don't want to bike you better run to keep up.)

My kids love it and will actually cry if I leave any of them behind. My oldest is just starting to get to the place where he sometimes would rather stay home and read, but I have never had any of them complain about it.

We pay bills on line, so almost all of my errands are shopping.

Ds17 hates to shop, but he would never complain.

DD13 likes to shop for 'things' but not groceries. She will shop patiently but it isn't always her favorite thing to do.

DD5 likes to shop for groceries and not things. She has a very short attention span so I don't take her shopping.

They only complain if it's the grocery store and then I kindly remind them that if they want to eat then we must go purchase the food:glare: We live about 15-20 minutes out from stores, library etc. I try to do all my errands on one at most two days a week so it can make for lots of stops at times. Not my favorite thing either, I'd much rather stay at home and have the UPS man visit me:tongue_smilie:

This summer I've been going out early (relatively) on Saturday mornings BY. MY. SELF. to do my errands. I'm liking it;)

DS whines all the time. But then so does his dad (who hates running errands, and shopping) which is why I'd rather leave them BOTH behind while I run errands. However, if I have to take either one with me it is like running over broken glass while a tiger is chasing you: you do it out of sheer necessity but it is painful, painful, PAINFUL.

My kids whine and complain about it too but there's no way around having to run errands. Now if I were to tell them we have to go to the dentist they would be clapping and cheering (yes, they love going to the dentist). My kids are weird sometimes!:D

My kids whine and complain about it too but there's no way around having to run errands. Now if I were to tell them we have to go to the dentist they would be clapping and cheering (yes, they love going to the dentist). My kids are weird sometimes!:D

Last time I took the kids to the dentist. Eldest got 2 cavitities filled, so we aren't talking about a fill good gentle visit.

On the way out he said to the dentist, "Thank you for the visit, I had a lovely time."

:confused:

Because today I told my kids they are going to have to hire their own babysitter if they complain about running errands anymore with me. :lol:

DS13 is a homebody AND his personality is such that he needs to know the order in which we are doing things while we're out or it stresses him. So yes, he does complain about having to run errands. He's to the age now though that he is able to stay home when it's just a short trip.

Mine generally like running errands, though they get tired and bored if there are too many. We live 20 minutes from anything, so we do a lot of errands at once, and it can make for a long day if we need to go to speech therapy for our son, the post office, WalMart, the grocery store, and the library. Even though those are generally fun things, it does get tiresome (shoot, *I* get tired of getting everyone in and out as well). We bring small toys for the car, water bottles, snacks/lunch, audio books, etc., and I often do still get a small treat at the grocery store (usually the last stop) for everyone.

However, no, they don't really complain; it's just a way of life.

Mine used to be fine about running errands up until about 6 months ago. DD became old enough to leave them with her for an hour or so and now suddenly going somewhere is pure torture. I have one that is a wee OCD and has to know exactly what we are going for and is quick to point out that xyz wasn't on the list when I throw it in the basket. He is a pain to shop with.

Zee loves to run errands with me, because he has a hobby of looking for coins at stores. He knows ALL the best places to look for coins. You seriously wouldn't belive how much money that kid can find in one day of errands. We took their latest coin jar to the bank, and the boys had $45 worth of change.

When this started (the hunting for coins), Moose and Zee would argue about 'I saw the quarter first' and what not. So, we started this; all coins go in the jar. When the jar is full, half of it goes to an orphanage in Myanmar, and the other half both boys get to use to buy something for themselves. Works well.

Moose is more of a homebody. He'll look for coins when he has to come, but he always prefers to be home.

Yes. Ds will insist on an itinerary and then complain some more if something comes up and we have to adjust the plans in any way:glare:. With dd, it depends. They will both act up at the store in one way or another. Dd will rein it in when I fuss, but ds ends up having to have one hand on the cart at all times. Very frustrating. Dd always ends up having to make a 15 min bathroom stop in the middle, even if I make her go beforehand. :glare::glare:

I tell them both, "if you want to have something to eat, then you better let buy the food in peace!!!"

I don't usually run errands. We live a bit from town and it costs too much in gas and is a hassle with the kids since dh gets off work early enough(usually) he does most running. We grocery shop locally maybe 1x per week and that is after church when dad is there to help. There always begging to go more places. I used to do running around and errands 1 day per week but it was too much of a stress and too much to fit in with everything else.

Sometimes they like it and sometimes not. Oddly Ds loves errands that involve shopping for other people or extended time at the mall. He just loves to shop and look at everything. Dd lasts about 5 minutes and starts talking about how it is time to go. Isn't that backward?

They alternate helping me with grocery shopping and don't like it, but neither do I. They don't often verbally complain, but I do get some looks. Since I started juicing they are much more interested in the grocery store b/c they can bring home all kinds of interesting things to try in the juicer.

I absolutely love the idea of coin hunting. My Ds just looks for odd things like pieces of zippers. During the holidays he found a shopping list. It was hysterical since it contained a lot of items and a budget that seemed impossible. We had a great time figuring out how on earth that person would ever manage to stay in budget!

Last time I took the kids to the dentist. Eldest got 2 cavitities filled, so we aren't talking about a fill good gentle visit.

On the way out he said to the dentist, "Thank you for the visit, I had a lovely time."

That totally made me laugh :lol:

That totally made me laugh :lol:

HAHA that made me laugh too.

My kids usually love going out. It is the time when I have several stops and even *I* want to whine about it. I think their limit is one or two stops and then they are dying of starvation and tired.

My kids love it and will actually cry if I leave any of them behind. My oldest is just starting to get to the place where he sometimes would rather stay home and read, but I have never had any of them complain about it.

My kids get upset if I leave them. DS is not overly fond of clothes shopping, but he just takes a book and sits in a corner and reads.

:lol::lol: