Menu

What does your LA Curriculum look like?

We're trying something new this year- we're going to use MCT (Town level) with ideas from The Writer's Jungle. I have TWJ but haven't actually read it yet so I am no expert on how to do this-but right now that's my plan. I also got Unjournaling to use once a week for fun.

7th grade this fall:

Lingua Mater 7 (Hillside Education)

SYR English 3 (Galore Park)

The Creative Writer (Peace Hill Press)

Creative Writing II / Creative Writing III (Connect the Thoughts)

Poetry study (Perinne's Literature - Structure, Sound and Sense)

5th grade (WTM logic stage, if not officially middle school yet )

Rod and Staff grade 5 english

Rod and Staff grade 6 spelling

First Form Latin

Classical House of Learning Lit. Ancients (logic stage)

WTM style history outlining

Writing will come from R&S english, outlining, and CHOLL

If that becomes too much, the R&S spelling will be the first to go for us. Vocab will still be covered in Latin and science and history and CHOLL, and dd is a natural speller.

Well, you may notice by my siggy what curricula we are planning to use next year, but basically for us a LA program always includes grammar, writing, vocabulary and literature. It could also include a spelling program if the student needs one.

• We really love WWS1 and will be beta testing level 2 when it is ready.
  • Vocabulary from Classical Roots (VFCR) has been a favorite of ours for the past three years now.
  • We have used a variety of grammar programs, but my favorite was R&S. This year we're going with Grammarlogues because it uses practical applications, pulling straight out of literature passages. I think my dd will also enjoy having a computer based program for grammar for a change.
  • We will be reading a lot this year, mostly from TWTM list, and also some read alouds that I've pulled from the Notgrass ATB literature list. We'll also be doing 4-5 Progeny Press literature guides.
  • For spelling, I test on vocabulary words and also words that dd misspells in her writing assignments. Previously I've used Spelling Workout and Spelling Power, both good programs.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

7th grade

Writing with Skill

Institute for Excellence in Writing

Analytical Grammar

Vocabulary Workshop

Figuratively Speaking

Literature: I'm still working on compiling a list. I know she'll read several L'Engle books, several Jules Verne, and HG Wells. She'll only do 4 of these with study guides. She'll read a lot of mythology from different cultures as well.

For 7th:

R+S Spelling 7 (spelling/roots/vocab)-we also practice her misspells as they come up in her writing

Finish R+S English (2 months left) and then into KISS Grammar (year 6) or AG

Writing at co-op, fill in w/ WWS and Jump In at home

Lit/poetry-co-op class plus she reads high level lit on her own (latest fave is Shakespeare)

My dd struggles with reading comprehension, composition and is afraid to put herself out there and spell words. So this is what we are doing:

Writing Strands 3/ Wordsmith Apprentice--to build her confidence in bits and pieces, there was little composition in her online school last year

Spell to Write and Read--again build her confidence, there was no spelling in her online school last year

McCall-Crabbs Test Lessons in Reading--for building reading comprehension skills

Vocabulary from Classical Roots A--looking into this to build vocabulary skills

Reading books--I have a small list for her to read but mostly, I just have her read daily books that she enjoys. If it is boring she doesn't retain anything.

We are not doing grammar this year because she has a good understanding but I am looking at having her do Easy Grammar Plus in 8th grade. We may do Writing for 100 Days in 8th grade as well.

For 7th grade this past year looked like this:

AG second season

SWI-C

finished SWR

Editor in Chief

Progeny Press Lit Guides

8th grade next year:

AG third season

Editor in Chief

Word Roots Vocabulary

AG Reinforcements

Writing

Edited by HollyDay

Our LA program has consisted of the following compoents:

Word study. This was spelling, but we are done with that. We are moving on to vocabulary in 7th grade.

Grammar

Composition

Literature

We have used a couple different resources for all of these things, but the components have stayed the same. Different aspects take more or less precedence as my child gets older.

For 7th grade:

outside class using Writeshop II

Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Easy Grammar Plus

Daily Grams 7

not sure what we're doing for lit---I have LL8, so we may do that.

This summer we have started the grammar and vocab above, plus "Igniting Your Writing" and Kilgallon's "Grammar for Middle School: a sentence composing approach."

6th grade

Bravewriter/The Writer's Jungle

Writing Strands

Getting Started with Latin

Natural Speller (maybe)

Alternating Grammar Land and The Sentence Family

I may have monthly or bi-monthly focuses, like a month or so of poetry... we'll see.

We are really struggling with LA, too. We've decided to use Learning Language Arts Through Literature. Both are all inclusive and don't require multiple programs and workbooks...ugh. My kids were in the public school until 4th and 2nd grade and they seemed to have no LA skills but since we started homeschooling 2 years ago things have just become worse. We have tried so many LA programs but looking through LLATL with the kids, they are actually looking forward to doing it. Some say it is weak but I am looking at it and I think it will be fine. I have kept our spelling in the wings, just in case they aren't getting enough in LLATL. This summer, they are also doing Grammaropolis from HSBC to get ready for LLATL.

5th Grader:

MCT - finish Town level, begin Voyage

WWS 4x per week; Creative Writer 1x per week

Homegrown literature, which includes IR assigned from historical fiction of the period (1650-1850) and RA/discussion of good children's literature and/or "classics" I think she is ready for

We'll finish Town about halfway through the year, and also finish WWS before the year is out. We may throw in some Kilgallon Sentence Composing for middle school, or we may just move on to the next level in both programs.

For fifth grade:

R&S English 5

R&S Spelling 6

Lit. picked from Early Modern Time period

Novel studies from Co-op

Perhaps WWE4 or IEW????

We are trying to keep our studies simple for the upcoming year, so I am not sure if we will just use R&S for writing too. I hope to use WWS for Grade 6.

This year, for 8th, my son used:

WWS

Analytical Grammar (all in one year)

Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop C & D

Barron's Painless Spelling

Barron's Painless Poetry (he loves these)

Lightning Literature 8

4 Ancient Great Books

In the fall, my 7th and 8th grade girls will use:

WWS

The Creative Writer

Analytical Grammar (over two years)

Sadlier Oxford Vocabulary Workshop C

Lightning Literature 8

Medieval Literature & Shakespeare study

Grade 5:

Evan-Moor: Building Spelling Skills

Evan-Moor: Daily Reading Grade 5 (only doing 2 a week)

Excellence In Writing Intensive Level A

Easy Grammar 4/5

Harcourt Family Learing: Reading Skills, Spelling Skills, Language Arts and Writing Skills.

Real Science 4 kids: Chemistry Kogs: Language.

Also doing Greek and Latin from the root up and a latin program, just not sure which one and does that fall under L.A.?

Grade 5:

Evan-Moor: Building Spelling Skills

Evan-Moor: Daily Reading Grade 5 (only doing 2 a week)

Excellence In Writing Intensive Level A

Easy Grammar 4/5

Harcourt Family Learing: Reading Skills, Spelling Skills, Language Arts and Writing Skills.

Real Science 4 kids: Chemistry Kogs: Language.

Also doing Greek and Latin from the root up and a latin program, just not sure which one and does that fall under L.A.?

As I'm looking at this again, that is a lot of material. I'm still on the fence about Easy Grammar. We used it last year and Daily Grams. We might not use the Harcourt Spelling skills.

My 7th grader will be doing an online class that will cover grammar, writing, and a little literature (Potter's School English 1). I'll add Vocab. from Classical Roots level A and middle ages literature to compliment her history studies. She is a strong speller, so we don't do a separate spelling program. She'll also be doing Spencerian Penmanship just for fun, but I consider it more a handicraft/fine art than language arts at this age.

Always subject to tweaking:

2nd year logic stage LA:

MCT magic Lens, Word Within the Word 1, Poetry and Humanity 1, ML practice book, IEW Ancients/Medieval, WWS, reading self and in group, speech (focus on poetry recitation and short presentation from keyword outlines with emphasis more on strong speaking voice, inflection, posture, verbal tic erasure than on developing rhetoric).

If WWtW bombs out on us, I do have Vocabulary Workshop B waiting in the wings; he loved VW A!

I have a 7th & 8th grader. They will both do most of this, maybe in varying degrees depending on each component. Anything that is specific to each I will list separately...

Online G3- MCT WWW2/ML2

Words and their Stories

MCT Time Travelers Lit

a few modules of Excellence in Lit: Intro to Lit

some random things from teaching the classics/figuratively speaking

my own writing assignments from various sources

IEW writing class at a co-op (totally hating this, but at least I'm not involved, lol)

typing

spelling:

8th-logic of english (I did the beta test on this, still working through it)

7th-apples & pears

I might sign up for another home2teach writing class, but not for a while

I have lots of things on hand and there will be some tweaking if something isn't working, but here's what I'm thinking for my 6th grader:

Spelling Skills 5 & 6

Simply Grammar

Wordly Wise Gr. 6

Writing Strands

Daily Spark Vocabulary & Grammar

...and all the LA that he gets from the copywork, oral & written narrations, dictation exercises, and classic literature in Ambleside Online.

For both 4th and 5th grader:

- Reading: Vintage Readers and Reading Comprehension book from Steck Vaughan to get them used to test format and questions. Other than these, they read freely.

- Spelling: Apples and Pears

- Vocab: Vocab. Vine (half speed) and discussing difficult words from the vintage readers.

- General (usage, poetry, some prose, writing, outlining): Serl's ILL and Writing Strands 3 (half speed, to be finished mid 2013).

- Grammar: Evan Moore Daily Paragraph Editing (2 paragr. per week) and KISS Grammar.

OTher:

- Once a week fairy/folk tales read aloud.

- Lit. terms, vocab, etc : cross curricula (FIAR and Beyond FIAR)

Edited by mom2moon2

WWS

Hake/Saxon Grammar 7

a big list of books I picked out that she'll be reading & then we'll be covering as SWB instructs in her Literary Analysis lecture

Spelling and vocabulary we just do as they come up - she's naturally a good speller, and I've always believed the best way to improve your vocabulary is to read, read, and read some more. (We'll probably do a Greek & Latin roots program for one year in high school, though.)

After that, we'll hopefully have WWS2 ready so we can rinse-repeat the same basic LA program with Hake 8 in 8th grade.

In high school, we'll drop the grammar and focus on heavier literature and composition. I HOPE the WWS schedule will stay ahead of us!! :) Not entirely sure what we will do, but she's not a big 'word person' so I don't think it will be the focus. Good old fashioned competence will suit me fine.

For my 8th grader:

WWS/CW Diogenes Chreia

Mother Tongue Bk II (a vintage grammar book)

Henle latin

literature: making my own list from AO and TOG and using Teaching the Classics for discussion

For my 6th grader:

Logic of English

CW Homer

Mother Tongue BkI

Latin (doing our own thing)

literature--same as 8th grader

copywork

7/8th graders

Pass English I

MCT Voyage Level (yes, it's below their grade level but I own it already, we never got to it, and I still think it's good review)- Practice Voyage book only

2 writtten narrations and 1 dictation a week

Spelling City -most misspelled words and individual trouble words

Vocabulary Cartoons

SAT question of the day

Poetry Journal-one entry a week -note meter, etc.

Copywork journal-one entry a week

Writing assignments across curriculum

The Hobbit -Discovery Guide

LLFLOTR -only through end of Fellowship of the Ring

Book Club

Various assigned books to go with history

3 Shakespeare Plays