Menu

mystified/why am I not loosing more weight?

The last 3 months I have walked/run 1 hour (6x per week).

I have worked up to jogging at least 25 minutes of that time and walked very briskly with weights in-between. This walk includes challenging hills, and a track for the running.

Now, I added in My fitness pal last month and cut my calories and for a solid month I have not been eating above my "calories for the day" which is 1200 for my weight. I usually have about 300 calories left to go at the end of the day.

I also, have added in strength training at least 3 x a week-30 day shred and Pilates and yoga (20 minute DVDs) 3 x a week.

I started out 148. I went to 144, but without changing a thing, I am going back up daily almost back to my original weight.

Let me say, I'm just frustrated because I'm up to exercising 1 1/2 hours a day, (hard, brisk, heaving breathing stuff), watched my caloric intake daily, and the weight isn't coming off.

What is my problem?????:confused:Help!!!!

What are you eating? Are you getting enough fat and protein?

Frankly it sounds to me like you may be consuming too few calories to sustain that activity level. It is counterintuitive but when I upped my calorie intake (at the advice of a nutritionist and my trainer), I lost more weight. Your body will go into "starvation mode" if you are consistently eating too little food for your level of activity.

It seems probable that your body is either rebelling because your caloric intake is too low to support all of the increased activity or you are actually losing fat but building muscle which can be reflected as a gain on the scale. Have you measured inches? Perhaps you have lost inches but not pounds.

Read Why the Scale Lies

Have you taken your measurements? Is there a change there?

Weight loss is very complex - it is not as simple as calories in versus calories out. Your metabolism changes as you make changes to your diet and activity levels.

You might want to watch The Weight of a Nation. I've only seen a small part, but they seem to be presenting the difficulties and complexities of losing weight.

Best wishes.

The last 3 months I have walked/run 1 hour (6x per week).

I have worked up to jogging at least 25 minutes of that time and walked very briskly with weights in-between. This walk includes challenging hills, and a track for the running.

Now, I added in My fitness pal last month and cut my calories and for a solid month I have not been eating above my "calories for the day" which is 1200 for my weight. I usually have about 300 calories left to go at the end of the day.

I also, have added in strength training at least 3 x a week-30 day shred and Pilates and yoga (20 minute DVDs) 3 x a week.

I started out 148. I went to 144, but without changing a thing, I am going back up daily almost back to my original weight.

Let me say, I'm just frustrated because I'm up to exercising 1 1/2 hours a day, (hard, brisk, heaving breathing stuff), watched my caloric intake daily, and the weight isn't coming off.

What is my problem?????:confused:Help!!!!

That is crazy low eating.

I agree with others that you're not eating enough. I dieted for almost 10 months and had trouble losing. I went on vacation and actually lost 4 lbs. I wasn't exercising, but I was eating more (I still ate healthy foods though). When I came back home I adjusted my intake and have lost almost 20 lbs and I'm eating more than 1200 calories a day.

Well, to answer the food questions.

This is what I eat daily:

1 (200 cal) protein bar for breakfast

1 protein shake for mid-snack

1 cup cottage cheese for lunch

almonds for snack 3pm

nice fairly lg. salmon or chicken breast or 3 scrambled eggs and big, big, salad for dinner with large tomato.

water all day.-6pm

I thought I was getting enough protein?

Am I missing something here?

I'm only 5'3 so 1200 calories should be my max.

I eat around 1200 calories, but the exercise brings that down. Usually 200-250 calories.

I eat around 1200 calories, but the exercise brings that down. Usually 200-250 calories.

Where are you getting that "max" calorie number?

Your caloric intake is based on more than your height alone. It needs to factor in your weight, age and activity level. Try plugging your numbers into this calculator with a target loss of 1 or 2 pounds a week. With your activity level, I would guess it would come back more like 1800ish.

When I increased my number of calories, I went from a plateau to shedding weight sharply. I have to add about 900 calories (and I was already eating more than 1600, but I am pretty tall and muscular.) I truly thought the trainer and nutritionist were coo-coo for cocoa puffs but it worked really well.

Your menu looks like it does need more protein and fat to me.

You may need to eat more, I would go up to at least 1700.

To give you some perspective, I'm 38, breastfeeding an 8 month old exclusively, 5'8, 140 lbs, and eat about 2500 a day. I'm somewhat active but I don't really exercise. BFing uses 500 calories a day so for my normal activity and body function I'm using 2000 calories a day.

If your clothes are fitting better or even too big, then stay away from the scale! You are replacing fat with muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Sort of. The same WEIGHT of muscle takes up much less space in the body than fat, so in a sense you can have more of it and weigh more. 142 is not bad for your height. It's not going to be as easy as if you had tons more to lose.

I dieted down to those crazy figure competitors physiques and stayed that way far too long. I never had a cycle and basically never ever got hungry anymore. I just wanted to prove you could do it without chemicals, but that is an artificial body type and not necessarily the healthiest/best feeling.

I am 5'3" and workout. I wear a size 0 but I weigh 126. My size is very small but I have low body fat and muscle. I would UP the intensity of your weight lifting and eat more fat/protein. Up your calories by a couple hundred and see what happens. There is a very small sweet spot for weight loss. It's hard to imagine you need more, but you do. Especially being so active. The longer you strength train also, the more calories you burn just sittin on your behind ;). It takes more calories to sustain muscle, so your body needs/uses more of them.

almonds for snack 3pm

nice fairly lg. salmon or chicken breast or 3 scrambled eggs and big, big, salad for dinner with large tomato.

water all day.-6pm

It should be your max with what activity level? I think that 1200 calories probably reflects a pretty sedentary lifestyle, not as active as yours. And if 1200 is what an active person should be eating at your height (and I doubt it) then you need to consume that net - if you eat 1200 calories and then burn 200 then eat another 200 for 1400 in total. Balance it like you would a financial budget.

Edited by WishboneDawn

almonds for snack 3pm

water all day.-6pm

If I were you, I would:

Ditch the bar and consider dropping the shake in favor of other foods, increase veggie and fruit intake (I see only one meal with any produce) and eat a little more at each meal. Definitely add more protein from whole food sources- many people don't get a lot out of the protein powder used in shakes and bars.

For breakfast, I suggest oatmeal with flax and some sliced fruit and/or eggs. For lunch, a cup of cottage cheese is not very much. I would mix it up with a salad or lettuce wrap (with meat or tuna and veggies.)

Edited by kijipt

almonds for snack 3pm

water all day.-6pm

1200 calories is considered medically to be a "semi starvation diet".

Why do you think 1200 calories should be your max? That is crazy low to sustain. My guess is your body has gone into starvation mode, and is storing your fat. I am 5'2. I currently eat around 1650 calories/day, and lose about 1/2lb week. I would feel like I was starving if I ate a whole lot less than I am eating now. I have lost 20ish pounds in the past 9 months. In the beginning, I ate a little more, but not much. I workout 4-5 times/week, nothing super intensive. If your goal is long term, sustained weight loss, I would reconsider your strategy.

I got the "1200" figure from My fitness pal and other sources have had that number as well. So, I guess I was confused. According to my height and if I want to lose 1-2 pds. per week.

I have never looked real overweight. I hide weight well, but I was up to close to 150 for 5'3 that's not good. The lowest I've ever been is 125pds. when I was sick for a while with a stomach problem and I felt unhealthy thin. I think my ideal weight for some reason is around 130pds.

So, I guess my calorie count isn't right. I really, really, appreciate the help figuring out that I need more calories. I didn't feel like I was starving at all, so its a little surprising. It felt pretty balanced to me, but I can see that maybe I've been wrong to consume too few calories.

I guess I'll cut out the protein bar and shake as well. I was trying to consume more protein the "easy" way or so I thought.

Thanks for all the replies! It really helped me understand!

Why did I wait so long????:)

Your caloric intake is based on more than your height alone. It needs to factor in your weight, age and activity level. Try plugging your numbers into this calculator with a target loss of 1 or 2 pounds a week. With your activity level, I would guess it would come back more like 1800ish.

When I increased my number of calories, I went from a plateau to shedding weight sharply. I have to add about 900 calories (and I was already eating more than 1600, but I am pretty tall and muscular.) I truly thought the trainer and nutritionist were coo-coo for cocoa puffs but it worked really well.

Okay, I just tried the calculator.

For 5'3- 147pds. moderate activity level, 2 pds. per week, it said I should consume 1005 calories???:confused:

For 5'3- 147pds. moderate activity level, 2 pds. per week, it said I should consume 1005 calories???:confused:

Not to add confusion to the picture, but I don't personally buy into the "starvation mode" theory. If you eat fewer calories as a lifestyle (not just to diet), you WILL lose weight or at least even out at your body's "normal" weight. My ideal caloric intake is about 1000 calories a day. When I eat that for any length of time, I lose weight. If I lived that way (which I unfortunately do not), I would stay at a healthier lower weight. Instead, I eat like that for a time, then blow it for a longer time. My eventual weight gain is based on *choices* I make, by the way, not on food or my body conspiring against me.

This is me. I'm not saying this is what anyone else needs/ought to believe or live by.

I consume approx. 950 calories per day. I may only exercise for a max or 30 min. Of light exercise for that calorie intake, no sweating, just basically walking for 30 min.

If I want to exercise more strenuously, I must consume another light (protein + veggie) meal. I have lost consistently with this program of eating and exercise. Now 28 pounds lost in 3 months!

How old are you??? A peri-menopause body will put the lbs. on and not shed them easily. Portion size matters. As we age, and who isn't aging, we need to eat less and be careful about what we eat. Another thing to consider is how hard you push yourself when you exercise? Workout intensity matters.

I put in 1 pound a week just now and it said 1586 for moderate and 1847 for heavy activity levels. What you describe sounds like a bit more than moderate to me but it doesn't sound heavy. It is my experience that the less you have to lose, the more slowly you can realistically take it off.

If you are not losing weight on this 900 cal diet after your muscle is built up, trying to add a few more quality calories really can't hurt. I honestly bought the calories in, calories out myth and never would have believed the eat a little more to lose thing until is was reccomended to me by 2 health and fitness experts + it worked immediately for me, even as my muscle mass continued to increase.

Also how is your stress and sleep? That makes a huge difference.

Here are some articles with information on the calorie thing:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500165_162-20093403.html

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/Eat-More-to-Lose-Weight.htm

Edited by kijipt

How old are you??? A peri-menopause body will put the lbs. on and not shed them easily. Portion size matters. As we age, and who isn't aging, we need to eat less and be careful about what we eat. Another thing to consider is how hard you push yourself when you exercise? Workout intensity matters.

I'm 43 (44 in 2 months) so, yes, I would say I'm in perimenopause and I've had ovarian cysts lately....

I got the "1200" figure from My fitness pal and other sources have had that number as well. So, I guess I was confused. According to my height and if I want to lose 1-2 pds. per week.

I have never looked real overweight. I hide weight well, but I was up to close to 150 for 5'3 that's not good. The lowest I've ever been is 125pds. when I was sick for a while with a stomach problem and I felt unhealthy thin. I think my ideal weight for some reason is around 130pds.

Being unfit is not good. Pushing your body and depriving it of proper food is not good. Modeling a lifestyle for your kids where you don't eat whole foods is not good.

150 is just a number and whether it's good for you or not depends on more factors then just that number. You could lose 20 pounds on your routine and be further behind in terms of health.

Not to add confusion to the picture, but I don't personally buy into the "starvation mode" theory. If you eat fewer calories as a lifestyle (not just to diet), you WILL lose weight or at least even out at your body's "normal" weight. My ideal caloric intake is about 1000 calories a day. When I eat that for any length of time, I lose weight. If I lived that way (which I unfortunately do not), I would stay at a healthier lower weight. Instead, I eat like that for a time, then blow it for a longer time. My eventual weight gain is based on *choices* I make, by the way, not on food or my body conspiring against me.

This is me. I'm not saying this is what anyone else needs/ought to believe or live by.

I have a hard time buying the starvation mode theory as well. I am at the point now where I will not lose weight at 1200 calories unless I am exercising very regularly and watching my carbs. If I get frustrated with my weight loss efforts and decide to ditch dieting and eat a little more, I start gaining weight immediately. It will take me weeks to lose 2 pounds, then if I go to a holiday celebration and have a larger meal than normal and a dessert (I am not talking about even overeating here), I will literally gain that 2 pounds back.

So frustrating!

Edited by Pastel

Try new Atkins. You will be able to eat more food (mostly just add a lot more veggies per day to what you are doing) and see if that works. My numbers closely align to yours, and it is working. I am about 5 years older than you, so even closer to menopause.

Down to 137 this morning. I started with just 5 days in first phase before going to second, which is where the website and book recommended I start.

Not being rude here but are you sure you entered it correctly? I am also 5'2" and I do weigh much more than you but am very, very active and for me it says over 2000 per day.

Being unfit is not good. Pushing your body and depriving it of proper food is not good. Modeling a lifestyle for your kids where you don't eat whole foods is not good.

150 is just a number and whether it's good for you or not depends on more factors then just that number. You could lose 20 pounds on your routine and be further behind in terms of health.

:iagree: As a reference point, I'm 5'0" and weigh in at roughly 150. I'm a size 4-6, depending on the cut of pants and whether they will accommodate my quads.

I have always been "dense" and weighed much more than my size would indicate, even unfit. Lifting just adds to the scale.

I have a hard time buying the starvation mode theory as well. I am at the point now where I will not lose weight at 1200 calories unless I am exercising very regularly and watching my carbs. If I get frustrated with my weight loss efforts and decide to ditch dieting and eat a little more, I start gaining weight immediately. It will take me weeks to lose 2 pounds, then if I go to a holiday celebration and have a larger meal than normal and a dessert (I am not talking about even overeating here), I will literally gain that 2 pounds back.

So frustrating!

Lisa

Don't you see, that if adding less than 2lbs of calories back causes you to gain 2 pounds, than there can't be a direct correlation between calories and weight gain or loss? I'd bet the carbs are the real issue.

almonds for snack 3pm

water all day.-6pm

For comparison: I'm 5'1. Since 10/11, I've eaten 1550 cal/day and done 5 hours/week brisk walking. I've lost 31 pounds.

Are these from whey protein or soy protein? If whey, then :thumbup1: But if soy, then maybe your thyroid is suffering?

Other than that, all I can think of is, as others have already said, increase your protein and fat intake (do not be afraid of fat!) but not your carbs, because your overall calorie intake seems way too low.

I am 5'0", I don't really believe that a small woman can lose more than 1lb/week (except in the first few weeks of dieting). I think that's just a sad reality.:glare:

1200 calories is considered medically to be a "semi starvation diet".

I don't think that's true for shorter people. I used the calorie calculator posted by a previous poster, and it gave me 1070 calories/day for weight loss of 1 lb per week - and that's accurate based on experience. I entered my activity level as light because I have a sedentary job but exercise at least 5 days per week. I'm doing 30 day shred currently. I am seeing results, but only by dropping my calories to about 1000 per day. Rule of thumb for maintenance is 20 calories per inch of height, which is 1200 calories for me and 1260 for op. Op is exercising A LOT, but exercise tones and builds muscle; it doesn't really burn many calories. I agree OP probably needs to increase her calories to maybe 1200 per day, but I don't agree at all that she should increase to 1600-1800 per day.

Edited by LizzyBee

Rule of thumb for maintenance is 20 calories per inch of height, which is 1200 calories for me and 1260 for op.

Maintaining your weight is based more on your weight, body composition and activity levels than on your height. Height alone says very little about how much someone should weigh or eat. A 5'10" willowy female model will need way less to maintain than a 5'10" muscular, stocky man.

It will take me weeks to lose 2 pounds, then if I go to a holiday celebration and have a larger meal than normal and a dessert (I am not talking about even overeating here), I will literally gain that 2 pounds back.

So frustrating!

Lisa

Then it is definitely not calories in/calories out. A large meal, with dessert that is not overeating in maybe at MOST if you stretch it out 800-1000 calories? Conventional wisdom that a calorie is a calorie says you need to eat 7000 calories more than you burn to gain 2 pounds. Unless you are a competitive eater, you are not socking back 7000 calories in that holiday meal.

Inflammation and bloating are are work. There are some calories (foods) that are better for you than others and some calories that cause you to gain weight faster.

I used that calculator and I'm not understanding the results. Is the yellow number in the box the calorie intake to strive for or the number above that? Thanks! :)

eta: Duh, never mind I *think* I get it now. I went back and actually read the text above the calculator like I should have done to begin with. The yellow number indicates what would be a very low calorie intake? The number above that is the calorie intake to strive for?

Edited by ThreeBlessings

I used that calculator and I'm not understanding the results. Is the yellow number in the box the calorie intake to strive for or the number above that? Thanks! :)

eta: Duh, never mind I *think* I get it now. I went back and actually read the text above the calculator like I should have done to begin with. The yellow number indicates what would be a very low calorie intake? The number above that is the calorie intake to strive for?

No, I think the first row is calories to maintain. You are right, it is not very clear. If you put in a longer term goal...say 20 pounds in 3 months or something, it will give you a week by week (number 1 and up) list of the calories to eat that week. As you shrink, you need fewer calories because you burn fewer moving a lighter person around all day. It is a little more clear when you put in a time frame greater than 1 week.

Edited by kijipt

I believe the conventional wisdom, that 3500 calories burned is one pound, but with some caveats. Food scientists measure food energy (calories) by literally burning food, and measuring how much energy is released. Obviously, this is not the way our digestive systems work, so some food calorie measurements may be off. Also, measuring body weight is an imprecise measure of health. It is much more accurate to measure inches at the legs, hips, abs and arms. The body can take a varying amount of time to fully digest different food based on all kinds of factors. If you've gained two pounds on a scale the day after eating, say, 1000 extra calories, I don't think you've really permanently gained two pounds. Rather (and I'm trying to be delicate here), I think that your body hasn't fully digested that food and fiber, and that some of the weight will be leaving soon.

What are you eating? Are you getting enough fat and protein?

Frankly it sounds to me like you may be consuming too few calories to sustain that activity level. It is counterintuitive but when I upped my calorie intake (at the advice of a nutritionist and my trainer), I lost more weight. Your body will go into "starvation mode" if you are consistently eating too little food for your level of activity.

:iagree: 900 calories is really drastic. I bet if you eat more, you'll lose more.

Maintaining your weight is based more on your weight, body composition and activity levels than on your height. Height alone says very little about how much someone should weigh or eat. A 5'10" willowy female model will need way less to maintain than a 5'10" muscular, stocky man.

I agree, that's why it's a "rule of thumb" rather than a hard and fast rule.

I use my fitness pal. When you enter your exercise for the day with the tracker it "subtracts" calories. BUT that means you need to add those calories to the 1200. My calories start at 1200 for the day. When I add my exercises completed it gives me an adjusted calories goal for the day. 1200 is your bare minimum calories for the day if you don't exercise. If you exercise, you are supposed to consume more.