Menu

Just a quick informal cultural poll if you have a minute. :)

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod?

Nope. Not one bit.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not?

3. What country do you live in? US

4. How old are you? 41

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D

I don't know what this means!!! But, I'm gonna go with 1993 because it was the year I graduated college!

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end! ;) :p

Thanks to all who participate. :) BTW, this is just a informal questionnaire based on my own curiosity. :) It's not meant to embarrass anybody if they don't know the reference. :grouphug:

ETA: The answer is in post #163

b

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to thank everyone who participated and took the time to answer the questions. I think it's been shown by the answers here that it is not as widely known as I thought it was. Thanks again to all who participated. :). And if anyone is looking for a movie to watch this weekend I can recommend a good one. :D

I just wanted to thank everyone who participated and took the time to answer the questions. I think it's been shown by the answers here that it is not as widely known as I thought it was. Thanks again to all who participated. :). And if anyone is looking for a movie to watch this weekend I can recommend a good one. :D

Haha! I already added to my Netflix queue (Blade Runner, too!).

Haha! I already added to my Netflix queue (Blade Runner, too!).

Cool! :) I think I may watch JAWS again this weekend or Alien since I already own them on DVD. I'm going to put the director's version of Blade Runner on hold from the library and see how it compares with the theatrical version. Gosh it's been ages since I've seen Blade Runner. Maybe I'll keep it old school and watch Logan's Run too! :D hehe

Answers in green

I was speaking with a dear friend today who was very busy doing all kinds of work in her house after not having the energy to do much for awhile and so I jokingly said to her, "Did you fall asleep next to a pod?" to which she just gave me one of these :confused: and said, "I'm guessing that's supposed to mean something."

I was quite taken aback because I thought that was a pretty common knowledge reference, but said friend is 10 years my junior so it got me wondering if perhaps it is not which led me to wanting to ask The Hive since we have such a wonderful range of ages (and cultures) represented here. :)

So if you have a minute and you don't mind answering a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. What I would like to know is the following....

No

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not?

3. What country do you live in?

USA

4. How old are you?

???

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end! ;) :p

Thanks to all who participate. :) BTW, this is just a informal questionnaire based on my own curiosity. :) It's not meant to embarrass anybody if they don't know the reference. :grouphug:

This was FUN! Can we do "sponge worthy" next? I'm pretty sure that's a significant cultural reference too!

Oh my yes. Ask me why I never gardened when I lived in San Francisco!

Having been routinely checked for "pod marks" as a child whenever my behavior was off - yes it is important. So is know what it means to grok something.

The Good Ol' US of A my whole life.

4. How old are you?

Well, that's forward. What color are your panties? No, it's okay - I'll be forty in November.

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007?

1978 was better than the '93 one, for sure. Haven't seen the others.

This was FUN! Can we do "sponge worthy" next? I'm pretty sure that's a significant cultural reference too!

LOL Love Seinfeld. :)

Hahahahaha!!!! I get that one. By the way, can you spare a square?

I think we're gonna need a bigger thread...

hahahahahaha!

That clinches it! I'm watching JAWS this weekend! :D

I'm going to make that shark and offer he can't refuse. :D

LOL Love Seinfeld. :)

hahahahahaha!

That clinches it! I'm watching JAWS this weekend! :D

I'm going to make that shark and offer he can't refuse. :D

I was about ten, I think, when my aunt took a gaggle of cousins to see Jaws. I think she was too scared to see it by herself, and was watching us while our folks were doing something else.

Anyway, that scene when they are investigating the bottom of the lost fisherman's boat - you know the one - my popcorn & soda ended up all over the person behind me after I screamed and tossed it into the air.

My folks were livid... My poor aunt didn't babysit us for a long time after that. But it was definitely a bonding experience for the cousins!

I was speaking with a dear friend today who was very busy doing all kinds of work in her house after not having the energy to do much for awhile and so I jokingly said to her, "Did you fall asleep next to a pod?" to which she just gave me one of these :confused: and said, "I'm guessing that's supposed to mean something."

I was quite taken aback because I thought that was a pretty common knowledge reference, but said friend is 10 years my junior so it got me wondering if perhaps it is not which led me to wanting to ask The Hive since we have such a wonderful range of ages (and cultures) represented here.

So if you have a minute and you don't mind answering a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. What I would like to know is the following....

Jumping in really late and haven't read any thing else but I'll answer anyway.

No.:confused:

N/A

USA

4. How old are you?

:confused:

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end! ;)

Thanks to all who participate. BTW, this is just a informal questionnaire based on my own curiosity. :) It's not meant to embarrass anybody if they don't know the reference.

Off to read #163 after skimming to see if I'm the only clueless one.:tongue_smilie:

I was about ten, I think, when my aunt took a gaggle of cousins to see Jaws. I think she was too scared to see it by herself, and was watching us while our folks were doing something else.

Anyway, that scene when they are investigating the bottom of the lost fisherman's boat - you know the one - my popcorn & soda ended up all over the person behind me after I screamed and tossed it into the air.

My folks were livid... My poor aunt didn't babysit us for a long time after that. But it was definitely a bonding experience for the cousins!

I know exactly which scene you're talking about. Where he finds the tooth and "drops it" when he finds the fisherman. That scared the crap out of me too. To me though, the scariest parts are when people are near the beach in the water and you just hear the JAWS theme and know that shark is prowling and the people are oblivious to it. The suspense that builds until it gets someone is crazy!

That movie scared me so much when I saw it, (I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale walking distance from the beach and we went every weekend) that I couldn't swim for the longest time. I was afraid even of the deep end of the swimming pool and my bathtub! lol

Oh, your poor aunt. So the rents banished her then? :p

I had no clue, and I'm pushin' old age! If it is scary, that's why I wouldn't know. I don't like scary movies!

It's really not that scary, suspenseful yes with some scary moments sure, but I personally don't think of it as a horror film the likes The Exorcist or Amityville Horror or even Alien. It's more of a thriller IMO. Certainly by today's standards it wouldn't be considered a horror film.

ETA: I'm referring to the 1978 version. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

Jumping in really late and haven't read any thing else but I'll answer anyway.

Better late than never. :) Thanks for participating. :)

Off to read #163 after skimming to see if I'm the only clueless one.:tongue_smilie:

Actually, you and my dear friend are in very good company. If you were to read this entire thread you would discover that the majority of the posters didn't know what the heck I was talking about. hehehe :)

:001_huh: I guess not...

3. What country do you live in? USA

4. How old are you? 32

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :001_huh: I don't think I get this one either. (I haven't read any responses.) So umm... 1978? :confused:

After reading just the last page, maybe we are referencing a movie, possibly "Alien" with Sigourney Weaver? And that only comes to mind because my 13yo (HFA) has a thing for actor names, matching which actors are "also in" whichever other movies, and one of his favorite movies is Ghostbusters... hence the connection. And now I don't even remember what was said to make me think of it. Something in the first post or two on this page.

And I'm going to bed now. I shouldn't even be up, let alone thinking about old horror movies. ;)

Edited by dalynnrmc

:001_huh: I guess not...

3. What country do you live in? USA

4. How old are you? 32

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :001_huh: I don't think I get this one either. (I haven't read any responses.) So umm... 1978? :confused:

After reading just the last page, maybe we are referencing a movie, possibly "Alien" with Sigourney Weaver? And that only comes to mind because my 13yo (HFA) has a thing for actor names, matching which actors are "also in" whichever other movies, and one of his favorite movies is Ghostbusters... hence the connection. And now I don't even remember what was said to make me think of it. Something in the first post or two on this page.

And I'm going to bed now. I shouldn't even be up, let alone thinking about old horror movies. ;)

Good guess. :D The sleeping/waking up next to a pod is a reference to Invasion of the Body Snatchers. A movie where people who fell asleep next to a pod were taken over by the pod in the night and the pod grew into their form and took their identity while the real person died. The pod people acted dramatically different than the real person and so it is a reference when someone is acting very different than the norm to ask, "What happened to you? Did you fall asleep next to a pod last night or something?" :D

Edited by Ibbygirl

I find this amusing. Although the reference "falling asleep next to a pod" completely stumped me, I have actually referenced the movie, but in title only, when my DH or kids have done something extremely out of the norm (ie: they cleaned something without being asked). I'd jokingly ask "Was there an invasion of the body snatchers? Ha ha", then give my thanks and praise.

LOL We should start a list shouldn't we. :)

I said to my kids the other day, "Fasten your seat belt! It's going to be a bumpy ride!"

It's way before my time, too. Oh well. I saw it with my grandma.

And I've seen all the Alien movies (many, many times) except the last one. Ugh. Same with Terminator. My mother gets the credit for these.

I would have thought it referred to an obscure fairy tale.

I would never assume just a oblique reference to a movie would be widely understood - unless it was something like "Frankly my dear I don't give a D#mn" or "This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship".

Yup sure do!

Important? Nah.. however it is becoming less known.

USA

4. How old are you? almost 37

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D 1978 and 1993

Very weird, very odd movie.

I find this amusing. Although the reference "falling asleep next to a pod" completely stumped me, I have actually referenced the movie, but in title only, when my DH or kids have done something extremely out of the norm (ie: they cleaned something without being asked). I'd jokingly ask "Was there an invasion of the body snatchers? Ha ha", then give my thanks and praise.

hehehe :)

I said to my kids the other day, "Fasten your seat belt! It's going to be a bumpy ride!"

It's way before my time, too. Oh well. I saw it with my grandma.

And I've seen all the Alien movies (many, many times) except the last one. Ugh. Same with Terminator. My mother gets the credit for these.

hehehe Yeah, after Alien vs. Predator there really wasn't anywhere else to go from there. hehe The first one though was soooo goood and scary. Ripley was such a badass! :D

I love the spoof they did in Spaceballs of John Hurt's famous scene where the baby alien comes out in a cane and top hat and starts singing Hello! Ma Baby. :lol:

I think this thread is spongeworthy.

LOL :lol::lol::lol: hehehehe Thanks. :)

yes

I would have thought it was pretty widely known, but I don't know that I'd call it important, at least not in the way Shakespeare is important.;)

US, always have.

4. How old are you?

1956. I don't know if I've seen all the others or not, honestly.

Good guess. :D The sleeping/waking up next to a pod is a reference to Invasion of the Body Snatchers. A movie where people who fell asleep next to a pod were taken over by the pod in the night and the pod grew into their form and took their identity while the real person died. The pod people acted dramatically different than the real person and so it is a reference when someone is acting very different than the norm to ask, "What happened to you? Did you fall asleep next to a pod last night or something?" :D

LOL Thanks!

Haven't seen that one either, obviously. :glare: Are they the same era? Round-abouts maybe?

On a completely different note, it sounds very similar to Stephanie Meyers' book The Host only... not quite. Host is definitely a body-snatching-alien thing though.

And, don't look at me like that! :001_huh: I didn't read the vampire books. :tongue_smilie::chillpill: (In fact, to be quite honest, I'd planned to read the vampire books because my sister is *nutty* about them, but had the chance to read this one first. I thought, hey, at least this one is "adult" fiction, and it will allow me a taste of the author. And it did. And I spit it back out, thank you very much.) :D

LOL Thanks!

Haven't seen that one either, obviously. :glare: Are they the same era? Round-abouts maybe?

On a completely different note, it sounds very similar to Stephanie Meyers' book The Host only... not quite. Host is definitely a body-snatching-alien thing though.

And, don't look at me like that! :001_huh: I didn't read the vampire books. :tongue_smilie::chillpill: (In fact, to be quite honest, I'd planned to read the vampire books because my sister is *nutty* about them, but had the chance to read this one first. I thought, hey, at least this one is "adult" fiction, and it will allow me a taste of the author. And it did. And I spit it back out, thank you very much.)

LOL I'm not going to judge you for reading the Twilight books. I would read them myself sometime if I had time. Everyone keeps telling me I have to read them. :p I saw the movies though. They're...... interesting. :D

As far as your question about the era the movie was in, it's been made 4 times, that was the reference to the dates in my last question in the questionnaire. It was first made in 1956, then re-made with Donald Sutherland in 1978 (that was the first one I ever saw), then they re-made it again in 1993 and again in 2007 with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig too I think. :) I've seen the later ones, but the 1978 version is still my favorite. I have never seen the 1956 version though (yet :D )

And so I had to look up when was Alien out - 1979, so close to that second "pod" movie then. ;) Makes me feel a little better about missing which movie it was. At least I was in the same decade. :P

I saw the Twilight movies also, most of them not until they were out on DVD, but this past Christmas my sister took me to go see the one that came out last year in the theater. I went - I never get to go to the theater, and she was paying. :P

Meh, it's an okay story I guess. Kinda messed up I think (as in weird), but hey - whatever floats your boat. I saw a quote recently that I think is pretty accurate, something about Twilight not being "fantasy" genre, but being more teenie bopper romance... only with vampires, and vegetarian vampires at that. *insert rolling eyes smiley here*

Thread jack, much? Sorry. :P I'm good at that.

Nope, I'm clueless

I hope it's not!

US

4. How old are you?

Honestly, the only thing that comes to mind when you say "pod" is that seed pod plant or whatever it's called that I'm so incredibly wigged out by that it borders on scared. Okay, no bordering, it freaks me the heck out. But then, I'm a weirdo with t-phobia ;)

And so I had to look up when was Alien out - 1979, so close to that second "pod" movie then. ;) Makes me feel a little better about missing which movie it was. At least I was in the same decade. :P

I saw the Twilight movies also, most of them not until they were out on DVD, but this past Christmas my sister took me to go see the one that came out last year in the theater. I went - I never get to go to the theater, and she was paying. :P

Meh, it's an okay story I guess. Kinda messed up I think (as in weird), but hey - whatever floats your boat. I saw a quote recently that I think is pretty accurate, something about Twilight not being "fantasy" genre, but being more teenie bopper romance... only with vampires, and vegetarian vampires at that. *insert rolling eyes smiley here*

Thread jack, much? Sorry. :P I'm good at that.

LOL no worries. I've hijacked and killed many threads in my time. :p

Nope, I'm clueless

I hope it's not!

US

4. How old are you?

Honestly, the only thing that comes to mind when you say "pod" is that seed pod plant or whatever it's called that I'm so incredibly wigged out by that it borders on scared. Okay, no bordering, it freaks me the heck out. But then, I'm a weirdo with t-phobia ;)

What plant are you talking about? pic?? I don't know why, but what immediately came to my mind when I read your comment was that huge killer venus flytrap from Little Shop of Horrors. :p hehe

Edited by Ibbygirl

Idon't mind answering a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. What I would like to know is the following....

Took me a sec. but yes. :)

Probably not, based on the answers so far. :tongue_smilie:

US

4. How old are you?

The one with Leonard Nimoy. :)

I'm also a sci fi geek, so I really should know the reference. ;) I'm pretty sure I saw this movie during a 24-hr sci fi marathon. Also Day of the Triffids - more scary plants from outer space.

LOL no worries. I've hijacked and killed many threads in my time. :p

What plant are you talking about? pic?? I don't know why, but what immediately came to my mind when I read your comment was that huge venus killer venus flytrap from Little Shop of Horrors. :p hehe

I can't post a pic because I can't look it up. Which is also why I have to call it t-phobia. I can never remember the name correctly and I won't look that up either because images will show. Look up "seed pod plant" and you will probably find what I'm talking about. Add the terms "holes" and "phobia" and you'll probably find info on that. I can't handle looking at things or images of things that have clusters of holes.

NO

USA

4. How old are you?

40 something

1956 because I would have liked to live then!

answered in red above

I was quite taken aback because I thought that was a pretty common knowledge reference, but said friend is 10 years my junior so it got me wondering if perhaps it is not which led me to wanting to ask The Hive since we have such a wonderful range of ages (and cultures) represented here. :)

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? I have no idea what you mean.

3. What country do you live in? Canada

4. How old are you? I'm 45 years old.

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D Don't know what this means.

I'm guessing the reference is from a movie?

"Feed me, Seymour!"

LOL. I haven't seen that movie in years either. :p

I'm also a sci fi geek, so I really should know the reference. ;) I'm pretty sure I saw this movie during a 24-hr sci fi marathon. Also Day of the Triffids - more scary plants from outer space.

Oh I've never seen Day of the Triffids. Is it good?

I can't post a pic because I can't look it up. Which is also why I have to call it t-phobia. I can never remember the name correctly and I won't look that up either because images will show. Look up "seed pod plant" and you will probably find what I'm talking about. Add the terms "holes" and "phobia" and you'll probably find info on that. I can't handle looking at things or images of things that have clusters of holes.

I Googled, "seed pod plant" and 'holes' but I don't think it was the same one that you're wigged out by. There were too many plants listed, but the most frequent one was of the lotus seed pod, but it wasn't very scary looking. Oh well. I tried at any rate. :)

Trypophobia?

Not at all.

I wouldn't think so.

U.S. spent almost 4 years living in Portugal as a child, too.

4. How old are you?

Completely clueless here.

I Googled, "seed pod plant" and 'holes' but I don't think it was the same one that you're wigged out by. There were too many plants listed, but the most frequent one was of the lotus seed pod, but it wasn't very scary looking. Oh well. I tried at any rate. :)

The lotus seed pod sounds right. It wouldn't be scary looking at all to most people. It's just a plant with a lot of holes in it.

Trypophobia?

That sounds right.

DH isn't available right now or I'd have him do a quick google search for me to verify the name of plant and phobia, but I think that's it. It's weird, I know. We didn't even know it had a name until the last year or so. I've just always been seriously wigged out by the sight of clustered holes like that. Sometimes it causes bad dreams/bad sleep, I often come close to throwing up. It always makes me nauseous and uncomfortable.