Menu

Just a quick informal cultural poll if you have a minute. :)

I didn't read the rest of the answers, but I think it is a cultural reference in line with :

being a Stepford wife

MacGyvering something

jumping the shark

knowing about the "Force"

I agree! I remember using the MacGuyver reference a while back and being surprised that the <younger> person I was talking to had no idea what I was talking about.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod?

No

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not?

N/A

3. What country do you live in?

U.S.

4. How old are you?

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D

1993 :confused::D

Yep, and I use it fairly frequently.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not?

I don't think it's "important," but I would have assumed it was pretty common.

United States, born and raised.

4. How old are you?

The 1978 one was my introduction.

Yes, I understand the reference, but no, I would not think that it was that widely know. Born in the U.S., 44 years old, and I am familiar with the 1978 version. I have to say, that sometimes when dc surprise me by spontaneously cleaning up after themselves, I question who they are and where are my real children?:tongue_smilie:

I didn't read the rest of the answers, but I think it is a cultural reference in line with :

being a Stepford wife

MacGyvering something

jumping the shark

knowing about the "Force"

Jumping the shark is a way different generation than those others! :lol:

I get it, I am 42, in the USA, but don't understand the question about the years, but I will make a wild grab and say 1978 ?

The movie has been made and re-made 4 times in those respective years. The question about the years is which version of the movie is your favorite. :)

I answered before reading past the OP. Now I'll go back and read a bit before deciding if I should be embarrassed for not getting the reference...

No need for embarrassment at all. If you've read the other responses, I think more people don't know it than do. Maybe I should be the embarrassed one talking about pods and making people go :confused: and thinking I'm crazy. :lol:

1. Yes

2. Sort of, there are a lot of references out there.

3. USA

4. 39

5. 1978, but I haven't seen the two newer ones.

I still think the theatrical cut of Blade Runner is the best version.

Oooh thanks for this Mrs. Mungo. I saw a year or so ago that they released a Director's Cut version of Blade Runner on DVD and I was going to check that one out. I've only ever seen the original to date. :)

I have no idea what you are talking about. If it had to do with television, that would explain why, since we don't have one now and although we had one growing up, I wasn't allowed to watch it when I was small and disliked it (with the exception of Star Trek and Gilligan's Island lol) when I was older. If it had to do with children's books, there is a good chance I read whatever it is and it didn't make enough impression on me for me to remember it. It certainly wasn't something I read over and over. I am in the US.

Nan

:) We were total Trekkies too and I loved Gilligan's Island.

Hm, I think part of the issue is that the 78 version got overlooked by a lot of younger kids. I was 11 that year (just turned 45, so you don't have to do math), and we were into Star Wars. The 78 version was probably rated R and we weren't allowed to see R movies.There was no PG13. By the time it came out on VHS we were into other things. The original 50s version would have appeared cheesy at that time to us. The 2007 version didn't use pods and I don't know about the other one, I never saw it.

I'm coming to that same conclusion reading these responses. It seems it was the 1978 version that made the most impact on people. I did see the other two later versions and they didn't have the same impact on me as the 1978 one. My parents let us watch anything and often took us to the movies with them if they couldn't hire a babysitter so I guess I saw a lot of stuff that other people my age wouldn't have, but it's interesting to me too because I know so many people around my age that know the reference, that's why I thought it was so common knowledge.

I think you're probably right though about the age of the person the time the '78 version came out and moving on to other things by the time it came on VHS or cable. If I were 10 years younger and had only seen the 1993 version for example, I don't think it would have made the same impact on me as seeing the 1978 version did when I was that age (but again I'm biased :D ) hehe

Edited by Ibbygirl

I'm coming to that same conclusion reading these responses. It seems it was the 1978 version that made the most impact on people. I did see the other two later versions and they didn't have the same impact on me as the 1978 one. My parents let us watch anything and often took us to the movies with them if they couldn't hire a babysitter so I guess I saw a lot of stuff that other people my age wouldn't have, but it's interesting to me too because I know so many people around my age that know the reference, that's why I thought it was so common knowledge.

I was 7 and, while that wouldn't have stopped my parents from taking me (I saw Jaws and The Godfather... Seriously bad media decisions going on there), they likely would have seen the original version, so wouldn't have had much interest in the remake (plus they're not really sci-fi people). I'm pretty sure I've seen the original 50's version. I recall it being b&w but, as someone else pointed out, that may be because we had b&w tv until well into the 80's.

Nope! I have no idea what you're talking about!

USA

4. How old are you?

no clue

Are you going to tell us what it means, or where it came from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Body_Snatchers

I wonder if this thread will inspire any co-op classes?

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Gaslight

Citizen Kane

What else?

LOL We should start a list shouldn't we. :)

Yes

Yes, it's probably semi-important for pop culture, but I am not sure who knows it.

US

4. How old are you?

In my thirties.

All! Oh, wait, I don't think I've seen 2007.

I watched them all with my mother!

I have been trying to get my husband to watch all the movies I think are important that he's never seen, so I think I will be watching these with him! Thanks. I am sure he'll be unthrilled.

:lol: hehehehe You're welcome :)

Brilliant film. It, Dial M for Murder and Double Indemnity were three of my favourite (non-Saturday afternoon) films growing up.

ETA: And Laura... how could I forget Laura?

:iagree:

"Screeeeeeeeeech"

ROFL perfectscore.gif

I agree! I remember using the MacGuyver reference a while back and being surprised that the <younger> person I was talking to had no idea what I was talking about.

Sigh. I hate it when that happens. We get older and everyone coming up behind us just gets younger and all our references get lost in translation. sigh. Such is life I guess.

Edited by Ibbygirl

You're from Studio City, CA?

Bill

LOL No of course not. I always heard growing up that the island footage was filmed in Ft. Lauderdale, but I looked it up just now and see that it was actually Hawaii. lol Me thinks some people I grew up around are liars. :D

I've had this experience with my younger brother and his friends. He was born in '85 so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but with cable re-runs I really would've thought he would at least have heard of the show.

I've had this experience with my younger brother and his friends. He was born in '85 so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but with cable re-runs I really would've thought he would at least have heard of the show.

Haha - the first time I mentioned M to my then-preteen oldest, he said, "Oh yeah, isn't he that guy from Stargate?"

No

n/a

USA

4. How old are you?

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007?

huh?

Yes, but I think you could have broadened the reference. Sometimes people have heard of the movie but can't reference specific parts of it.

Eh. I'm not sure any cultural reference is very important. Reading this thread I think you have you answer on how deep it has permeated.

US

4. How old are you?

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007?

I haven't seen any of the movies, but we're sci-fi buffs enough that either dh or I would recognize references to pods or pod people. Its archetypal within that subculture.

I was speaking with a dear friend today who was very busy doing all kinds of work in her house after not having the energy to do much for awhile and so I jokingly said to her, "Did you fall asleep next to a pod?" to which she just gave me one of these :confused: and said, "I'm guessing that's supposed to mean something."

I was quite taken aback because I thought that was a pretty common knowledge reference, but said friend is 10 years my junior so it got me wondering if perhaps it is not which led me to wanting to ask The Hive since we have such a wonderful range of ages (and cultures) represented here. :)

So if you have a minute and you don't mind answering a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. What I would like to know is the following....

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Never heard of it and don't know what it is referencing

USA

4. How old are you?

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end! ;) :p

Thanks to all who participate. :) BTW, this is just a informal questionnaire based on my own curiosity. :) It's not meant to embarrass anybody if they don't know the reference. :grouphug:

Answers above in purple

No

U.S.

4. How old are you?

Guess I need to break out the :lurk5:, watch a movie, and get a cultural clue :D

1) Yes

2) I don't think it's all that important, though I do use it occasionally along with other lines like "It's medication time" :D

3) US

4) 39

5) 56, but I do love 78 as well! I didn't want to like the Nicole Kidman version, but I really enjoyed it! I didn't know about the 93 version (just watched trailer on youtube)... Meh.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd totally watch it. :lol:

I'm surprised how many people don't get the reference.

1) Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Yes

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? Thought it was common knowledge

3. What country do you live in? U.S.

4. How old are you? 52

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D Was a wimp back in 78 so didn't watch it or any of the other later versions when they came out. Now that I've seen the trailer for 78 version - makes me want to watch it.

No

No

The USA

4. How old are you?

ETA: The answer is in post #163

Nope. No idea what it means... never heard it before. :D

US

4. How old are you?

..... :lol:

Thanks to all who participate. :) BTW, this is just a informal questionnaire based on my own curiosity. :) It's not meant to embarrass anybody if they don't know the reference. :grouphug:

Well, I answered, now I have to go see what it is... :D

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? No.

3. What country do you live in? US

4. How old are you? 48

No offense taken. If one of my IRL friends made this reference, I would think they were odd for bringing up something so obscure. :D

Cool, going to check it out. After what you wrote, I'm guessing it's a sci-fi movie.

Wow, no clue what you are talking about! :001_huh: Of course, I just learned about a year ago why soft drinks are called soft drinks. :lol: Sometimes it's the little things that escape me.

I am 32, raised in VA, USA. (born in Germany).

Ok, now I am going to read everyone else's replies because the curiosity is killing me. :glare:

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? No.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? Dh got it so I guess it's common knowledge. (He knows that kind of stuff, I don't.)

3. What country do you live in? USA

4. How old are you? 26

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D No idea.

Answers in blue.

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

Now, I am quite familiar with MacGyver. I had a crush on Richard Dean Anderson when I was like 11. :lol:

Come to think of it, My husband has interesting similarities...hmmm. :tongue_smilie:

BTW: I get the pod thing now. I don't think that I have ever actually seen any of the versions though.

Edited by jewellsmommy

1) Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Yes

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? Thought it was common knowledge

3. What country do you live in? U.S.

4. How old are you? 52

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D Was a wimp back in 78 so didn't watch it or any of the other later versions when they came out. Now that I've seen the trailer for 78 version - makes me want to watch it.

The 78 version is very tame by today's standards. It wouldn't even be considered a horror film I think by today's standards but maybe just a "drama" or a "psychological thriller" perhaps. It's a good movie though even with 1978 special effects. :D hehe

I was speaking with a dear friend today who was very busy doing all kinds of work in her house after not having the energy to do much for awhile and so I jokingly said to her, "Did you fall asleep next to a pod?" to which she just gave me one of these :confused: and said, "I'm guessing that's supposed to mean something."

I was quite taken aback because I thought that was a pretty common knowledge reference, but said friend is 10 years my junior so it got me wondering if perhaps it is not which led me to wanting to ask The Hive since we have such a wonderful range of ages (and cultures) represented here. :)

So if you have a minute and you don't mind answering a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. What I would like to know is the following....

4. How old are you?

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end! ;) :p

I' 35, from Eastern Canada, and I know the cultural reference. I haven't actually seen any of them though.