Menu

Just a quick informal cultural poll if you have a minute. :)

I was speaking with a dear friend today who was very busy doing all kinds of work in her house after not having the energy to do much for awhile and so I jokingly said to her, "Did you fall asleep next to a pod?" to which she just gave me one of these :confused: and said, "I'm guessing that's supposed to mean something."

I was quite taken aback because I thought that was a pretty common knowledge reference, but said friend is 10 years my junior so it got me wondering if perhaps it is not which led me to wanting to ask The Hive since we have such a wonderful range of ages (and cultures) represented here.

So if you have a minute and you don't mind answering a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. What I would like to know is the following....

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Yes!:lol:

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not?

Within my age group and older, yes.

3. What country do you live in?

USA

4. How old are you?

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D

I think it would be 1978 (if we are speaking about the same thing).

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end! ;) :p

Thanks to all who participate. :) BTW, this is just a informal questionnaire based on my own curiosity. :) It's not meant to embarrass anybody if they don't know the reference. :grouphug:

LOL

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the reference, although I have never seen the movie.

I don't think it os hugely important, it was only in my family and small group of friends that I heard it.

I am in the United States

Never seen a movie or tv show, just learned it from those who had.

We can hang because I got the reference. As a matter of fact I regularly use ask where is the pod that has my real aunt/cousin/friend.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? No, I don't feel it is culturally important but I do sometimes feel old.

3. What country do you live in? USA

4. How old are you? 45

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D I have seen both 1956 and 1978 but the 1978 version would be my first experience.

1. Yes

2. Sort of, there are a lot of references out there.

3. USA

4. 39

5. 1978, but I haven't seen the two newer ones.

:) I've gotta watch this one again. It's been a long time. Seeing that trailer makes me want to go on an old movie bender! This one :D, Alien and maybe 2001 Space Odyssey and Blade Runner to start. :D hehe

I still think the theatrical cut of Blade Runner is the best version.

I have no idea what you are talking about. If it had to do with television, that would explain why, since we don't have one now and although we had one growing up, I wasn't allowed to watch it when I was small and disliked it (with the exception of Star Trek and Gilligan's Island lol) when I was older. If it had to do with children's books, there is a good chance I read whatever it is and it didn't make enough impression on me for me to remember it. It certainly wasn't something I read over and over. I am in the US.

Nan

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Nope, no clue!

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? I guess not, since I'm clueless about it.

4. How old are you? 36

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? ???

Hm, I think part of the issue is that the 78 version got overlooked by a lot of younger kids. I was 11 that year (just turned 45, so you don't have to do math), and we were into Star Wars. The 78 version was probably rated R and we weren't allowed to see R movies.There was no PG13. By the time it came out on VHS we were into other things. The original 50s version would have appeared cheesy at that time to us. The 2007 version didn't use pods and I don't know about the other one, I never saw it.

My parents weren't into going to the movies unless it was disaster movies or James Bond, so they wouldn't have seen it either.

Also the original Alien came out about that time and it was more popular in our area. We didn't see that one either.

Interesting. I'll have to add that to our viewing queue.

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod?

Yes. More, I laughed aloud when I read it, prompting my daughters to ask, "What's funny?" They got the reference, too. Of course. I don't call my approach to lit "Being Human: Shakespeare and Sci-Fi: It's (Nearly) All in There" for nothing. (*wry grin*)

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not?

No more or no less than "Tuesday is Soylent Green Day."

United States.

4. How old are you?

Two years shy of fifty.

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007?

Off to read the other replies.

I'd have no idea what you were talking about. DH, after thought, associated it with Body Snatchers, but he's never heard a reference to it in conversation.

If it's culturally important, we missed it.

We're both 28 (born in '83). I'm from Fl, he's from SoCal.

I was speaking with a dear friend today who was very busy doing all kinds of work in her house after not having the energy to do much for awhile and so I jokingly said to her, "Did you fall asleep next to a pod?" to which she just gave me one of these :confused: and said, "I'm guessing that's supposed to mean something."

I was quite taken aback because I thought that was a pretty common knowledge reference, but said friend is 10 years my junior so it got me wondering if perhaps it is not which led me to wanting to ask The Hive since we have such a wonderful range of ages (and cultures) represented here. :)

So if you have a minute and you don't mind answering a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. What I would like to know is the following....

4. How old are you?

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end! ;) :p

Thanks to all who participate. :) BTW, this is just a informal questionnaire based on my own curiosity. :) It's not meant to embarrass anybody if they don't know the reference. :grouphug:

1. Yes.

2. Not really.

3. USA

4. 43

5. Never actually witnessed the whole thing, but 1978 is when I first heard of it. I was 9 and people at school talked about it.

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Not a clue, I get most metaphors & similies but haven't heard of this one.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? No

3. What country do you live in? US

4. How old are you? 46

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? 1978

Are you going to tell us what it means, or where it came from?

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? No

4. How old are you? 37

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D :confused: (but want to know--I'll read the thread now)

4. How old are you?

1. No, I've never heard of it before and neither has my husband (I had to ask him).

3. We both live in Canada although my husband has spent extensive time in the US with relatives.

4. I'm 29 and my husband is 41.

2. Um... Not sure if it's culturally "important", but it doesn't seem as if you should need to have seen the movies to know pods or gaslighting. They're common references.

I've heard of gaslighting, but don't know what it means (never saw the movie).

ETA: I looked up "gaslighting." Was it used in Body Snatchers? Just wondering, since you mention it in the same sentence as pods. Did you know the term "gaslighting" comes from a 1938 play?

Edited by gardening momma

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? No

4. How old are you? 40

Now I'm curious though.

ETA: I went back and read the thread. I would have gotten the reference to "pod people" although I'm not sure I could have actually named the movie. I've heard of the movie but not seen it. I just wouldn't have gotten it in the way you referenced it "sleeping next to a pod".

Edited by Alice

Under 45 barely, and had to think a minute to get the reference. I would guess most people are only familiar with the 70's original so you are looking to the over 45 crowd to really get it. Just my guess though- there were other versions later? :confused:

Invasion of the Body Snatcher? Oh, I thought it was a reference to Cocoon. Isn't that the one where all the old folks got their youth and energy back.

Totally didn't get the IotBS reference at all.

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Yes

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? I would have thought so before reading the first few responses here.

3. What country do you live in? US, moved from Canada when I was 30

4. How old are you? 45

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D 1956 (and others from that era... these were a regular part of my Saturday afternoons)

I've heard of gaslighting, but don't know what it means (never saw the movie).

ETA: I looked up "gaslighting." Was it used in Body Snatchers? Just wondering, since you mention it in the same sentence as pods. Did you know the term "gaslighting" comes from a 1938 play?

"Gaslighting" came from an old movie with Ingrid Bergman. I'm blanking on the name but it's really good.

gaslighting
I use this, but no one under 40 seems to get it unless they're a movie aficionado.

The inspiration for the name of DD the Elder comes from Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981 seems like just yesterday). It's fairly unusual, and so it's not uncommon for her to be asked about it. I'm shocked by the number of teens and twenty-somethings who have not only never seen it, but never heard of it.

"Gaslighting" came from an old movie with Ingrid Bergman. I'm blanking on the name but it's really good.
Gaslight

Yes

Yes, it's probably semi-important for pop culture, but I am not sure who knows it.

US

4. How old are you?

In my thirties.

All! Oh, wait, I don't think I've seen 2007.

I watched them all with my mother!

I have been trying to get my husband to watch all the movies I think are important that he's never seen, so I think I will be watching these with him! Thanks. I am sure he'll be unthrilled.

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Nope

4. How old are you? 39

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Yep, totally get it.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? Probably not anymore.

4. How old are you? 38

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? I don't think I've actually ever seen any of them! I just know what they are. I'm pretty sure I learned all about Pod People from a Daniel Pinkwater book--Lizard Music, I think it is. But I will pick 1956, 'cause I always prefer 50's B movies.

Gaslight

That makes sense :lol: I saw the movie probably 20 years ago so I couldn't remember what it was called, just that I liked it ;)

No clue what you are talking about...

I hope not...

United States

4. How old are you?

That makes sense :lol: I saw the movie probably 20 years ago so I couldn't remember what it was called, just that I liked it ;)
Brilliant film. It, Dial M for Murder and Double Indemnity were three of my favourite (non-Saturday afternoon) films growing up.

ETA: And Laura... how could I forget Laura?

Edited by nmoira

Yep - and I've called people "pod-people" before ;)

It used to be, but I can see twenty-somethings and younger not understanding it

4. How old are you? 38

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D 1956 & 1978!!!

Answers in blue :)

I am 42 and my parents didn't' do movies because it was against the church doctrine but my church youth group :lol: did the VHS scary movies so I associate the phrase with 1978 Body snatchers. I actually watched the movie in 1982-83. I have never had anyone make a reference about the pods. My DH is 49 and no one used the phrase and we are both born and still living in the deep south. The south is never up on pop culture.

I

4. How old are you?

:

No

?

US

?