Menu

Just a quick informal cultural poll if you have a minute. :)

DH isn't available right now or I'd have him do a quick google search for me to verify the name of plant and phobia, but I think that's it. It's weird, I know. We didn't even know it had a name until the last year or so. I've just always been seriously wigged out by the sight of clustered holes like that. Sometimes it causes bad dreams/bad sleep, I often come close to throwing up. It always makes me nauseous and uncomfortable.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: You poor dear! That sounds awful! :(

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: You poor dear! That sounds awful! :(

As long as I avoid images that may set it off, it doesn't bother me much day to day. Sometimes something in a movie will get to me. And have you ever made easymac in a small bowl and when you took it out all the noodles were clustered and sticking straight up? I have to remember to stir before looking down into the bowl if I make it because that gets me a little. But most of the time it's a non-issue.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

I did not realize there was a 2007 reboot. That came out during the we only see animated/disney film years. Dh and I looked it up. There were no pods in it so people who have only seen the 2007 version would not get the reference

I think it is a movie reference, probably sci-fi, but I really don't know. I was born in 1968 and grew up in various states of the US. We rarely saw movies other than on TV. We had only one TV and my parents never chose sci-fi to watch, so I wouldn't have seen it. (I saw Star Trek in the afternoons after school and loved it.).

I have however, heard/seen references to "pod people" from time to time, and I got the idea that it was some sort of mind control thing or something like the Stepford Wives/Stepford Children (which I saw for the first time as a college student when some co-workers at summer camp rented it). So, while I wouldn't fully catch the reference I would have a notion what you were talking about.

I was speaking with a dear friend today who was very busy doing all kinds of work in her house after not having the energy to do much for awhile and so I jokingly said to her, "Did you fall asleep next to a pod?" to which she just gave me one of these :confused: and said, "I'm guessing that's supposed to mean something."

I was quite taken aback because I thought that was a pretty common knowledge reference, but said friend is 10 years my junior so it got me wondering if perhaps it is not which led me to wanting to ask The Hive since we have such a wonderful range of ages (and cultures) represented here. :)

So if you have a minute and you don't mind answering a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. What I would like to know is the following....

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? No

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not?

3. What country do you live in? USA

4. How old are you? 46

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end! ;) :p

Thanks to all who participate. :) BTW, this is just a informal questionnaire based on my own curiosity. :) It's not meant to embarrass anybody if they don't know the reference. :grouphug:

ETA: The answer is in post #163

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. USA

4. 40

5. 1978

POD PEOPLE!!!!

LOL I love your enthusiasm! hehehehe :)

"enthusiasms" (pronounced "entusiasms") Let's see who gets that reference. :D

Gosh, I really do think in movie lines! lol :confused:

LOL I love your enthusiasm! hehehehe :)

"enthusiasms" (pronounced "entusiasms") Let's see who gets that reference. :D

Gosh, I really do think in movie lines! lol :confused:

Just taking a stab at it.... do you have a cousin named Vinnie?

Just taking a stab at it.... do you have a cousin named Vinnie?

hehehe. Nope, but you weren't too far off. Joe Pesci and Robert DeNiro were in Goodfellas together after all.

Nope the reference was from Untouchables where DeNiro played Al Capone. There is a famous scene where Capone is holding a baseball bat and talking about "entusiasms". Whenever I say or hear the words, "enthusiasm" or "enthusiastic" in my head I always hear DeNiro as Capone saying "entusiasms". Hehe

You definitely get points though for guessing it was said by an Italian. It's not that easy to guess a reference with just one word to go on. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? No idea whatsoever

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? Maybe

3. What country do you live in? Grew up in the caribbean to US Parents, still live int eh caribbean. Traveled all over the US and Europe

4. How old are you?34

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? 1978