Menu

Just a quick informal cultural poll if you have a minute. :)

I was speaking with a dear friend today who was very busy doing all kinds of work in her house after not having the energy to do much for awhile and so I jokingly said to her, "Did you fall asleep next to a pod?" to which she just gave me one of these :confused: and said, "I'm guessing that's supposed to mean something."

I was quite taken aback because I thought that was a pretty common knowledge reference, but said friend is 10 years my junior so it got me wondering if perhaps it is not which led me to wanting to ask The Hive since we have such a wonderful range of ages (and cultures) represented here. :)

So if you have a minute and you don't mind answering a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. What I would like to know is the following....

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod?

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not?

3. What country do you live in?

4. How old are you?

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end! ;) :p

Thanks to all who participate. :) BTW, this is just a informal questionnaire based on my own curiosity. :) It's not meant to embarrass anybody if they don't know the reference. :grouphug:

ETA: The answer is in post #163

Edited by Ibbygirl

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, but I would GUESS it's about pod people. But that's just a phrase I've heard, I don't know much about it. I think it's from a movie?

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not?

I hope not! That would mean I'm HORRENDOUSLY out of the loop. :D

The US. (Grew up in CA, now in CO, if that means anything.)

4. How old are you?

I please the fifth! But my DL says I'm 33. Liar!

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end! ;) :p

And I think this one gave it away (Only Donalds are Ducks or Sutherland, both of whom I love) so I'm off to spend time on Netflix...)

Edited by LillyMama
Formatting

4. How old are you?

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) USA.

4) 45

5) 1956 but I'm not sure I'm familliar with the others.

I was speaking with a dear friend today who was very busy doing all kinds of work in her house after not having the energy to do much for awhile and so I jokingly said to her, "Did you fall asleep next to a pod?" to which she just gave me one of these :confused: and said, "I'm guessing that's supposed to mean something."

I was quite taken aback because I thought that was a pretty common knowledge reference, but said friend is 10 years my junior so it got me wondering if perhaps it is not which led me to wanting to ask The Hive since we have such a wonderful range of ages (and cultures) represented here. :)

So if you have a minute and you don't mind answering a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. What I would like to know is the following....

4. How old are you?

1. Yes

2. Sort of.

3. USA

4. Old

5. 1978

Bill

Wow! I'm really surprised at the answers so far! I always thought it was so common a reference. Interesting. :) I want to see how this poll goes for awhile, but I promise to post the answer later on for anyone who is curious. :)

Yep

Yes. My kids get it.

U.S.

4. How old are you?

1978! (I didn't know there was a 93 or 07)

Around here, is someone does something out of character, we blame the Pod People.

…

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Yes

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? No - I don't know many people that share my taste in such things.

3. What country do you live in? Texas :D

4. How old are you? 52

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? 1956 - the original of course!

…

In reference to #3, I found this on Wikipedia:

In 1994, Invasion of the Body Snatchers was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

4. How old are you?

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007?

Yes, and I've never seen the movies - too creepy.

Yes, it's fun to make the reference - although a huge let down when they don't get it.

USA

Past the age of consent

None of the above (do commercials count??)

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? No idea.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? Of course it's not culturally important or I would know about it :tongue_smilie:

3. What country do you live in? US

4. How old are you? 33

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D I was born in 1978, but I'm sure that's not what you were asking.

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end!

Thanks to all who participate. :) BTW, this is just a informal questionnaire based on my own curiosity. :) It's not meant to embarrass anybody if they don't know the reference. :grouphug:

Answers are above in red.

Now to find out if anyone has spilled the beans in the thread of what you were talking about.:auto:

I know the reference and have never read/seen any of the versions. I've made the reference myself and it was always understood.

"In 1994, ... was selected for preservation in the United States National... Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Yes, and I've never seen the movies - too creepy.

Yes, it's fun to make the reference - although a huge let down when they don't get it.

USA

Past the age of consent

None of the above (do commercials count??)

LOL. I suggest the 1978 version. It's really good ( I'm biased though :D).

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? No idea what you mean.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? Nope, not well known.

3. What country do you live in? USA

4. How old are you? Old enough to know better than to answer this question! :D

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :confused: I'll go with 2007.

The 78 Trailer :D. No peeking until AFTER you answer the questions.

:) I've gotta watch this one again. It's been a long time. Seeing that trailer makes me want to go on an old movie bender! This one :D, Alien and maybe 2001 Space Odyssey and Blade Runner to start. :D hehe

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Yes - and it freaked me out as a kid, your mother not being your mother!!

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? Yes, I think it is a cultural reference and was common knowledge but I can see that the younger generation maybe is not familiar with it.

3. What country do you live in? U.S.

4. How old are you? 41

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? I'm guessing you mean when we first saw it? I would say 1978, I was young enough to be scared by it.

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? I'm guessing you mean when we first saw it? I would say 1978, I was young enough to be scared by it.

This question is in reference to which version is your favorite. There have been 4 versions of it made in each of those years. :)

Yep. Nicole Kidman was in that one. :)

Oh yeah, I think I remember it being advertised. But was it any good, or was it messed up like the remake of Stepford Wives with NK in it?

And I forgot to say whether or not I felt it was culturally relevant. Heck yeah! For me, anyway, it was like War of the Worlds for the big screen generation (speaking of the '78 issue). I am not kidding, it scared me tremendously. I think there was just a lingering hopeless feeling after I watched it, kwim?

Oh yeah, I think I remember it being advertised. But was it any good, or was it messed up like the remake of Stepford Wives with NK in it?

And I forgot to say whether or not I felt it was culturally relevant. Heck yeah! For me, anyway, it was like War of the Worlds for the big screen generation (speaking of the '78 issue). I am not kidding, it scared me tremendously. I think there was just a lingering hopeless feeling after I watched it, kwim?

Her version was okay, but it didn't compare with Donald Sutherland's (but again I'm biased :D ) The 1978 version will always be the best IMHO.

It scared the crap out of me too when I saw it. That ending with Donald, after trying and fighting so hard not to succumb, it does leave you with a sense of hopelessness and I guess that's why it sticks with you and IS so scary. I guess that's why I thought it was common knowledge, because that movie made such an impact in it's day (and even beyond), but I was born in 1971 so it was still very culturally relevant to me even though I saw it as a kid, everyone my age knew the reference as well. You crack a joke about sleeping next to a pod and everyone got it. :)

No for both dh and I

US, but dh was raised in the UK

4. How old are you?

37 and 41

Oh, and can you PM me and fill me in please?

Answering before I read any responses...

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Nope, but I have a nagging feeling like I should. But, nope.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? Apparently not. :)

3. What country do you live in? Texas. :)

4. How old are you? 38

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D If I had my druthers, I'd look like I did in 1993. 20 years old. Aww the memories! (this may not be what you're asking :lol:)