Menu

Just a quick informal cultural poll if you have a minute. :)

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod?

Yes

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not?

I have no idea

3. What country do you live in?

USA

4. How old are you?

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007?

All of them. Liked them all for different reasons.

Edited by 3Blessings4Me

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? I think this in reference to "pod people" though I only know that from hearing my mother say it when she meant someone was not their normal self.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? No.

3. What country do you live in? The United States.

4. How old are you? 32

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? I have no idea what this means, so I'm going to choose 2007.

Guess I'll have to read the rest of the replies now, to see what it really means. :D

Wow, I must be old, because not only did I know exactly what you were talking about, but it amazed me that anyone wouldn't have known! :tongue_smilie: (FWIW, I'm 48 and in the USA.)

I liked the 1956 version best because it was so campy. (It was scary when I was a kid, but now it's just FUN!)

Even ds12 knows about pod people... but he probably has weird parents or something.

NO

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not?

NO

USA (but grew up overseas)

4. How old are you?

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D

None of those dates sound like I need to know them.

Wow, I must be old, because not only did I know exactly what you were talking about, but it amazed me that anyone wouldn't have known! :tongue_smilie:

I was amazed too. I'd never known anyone who didn't get that reference before. That's why I wanted to start this questionnaire because I seriously thought it was common knowledge, but now I see it's not as common as I thought. :) It's interesting nonetheless. No right or wrong answer of course, it's just interesting to me to see how my perceptions of how common knowledge it is measures up against the actual data. :)

I was amazed too. I'd never known anyone who didn't get that reference before. That's why I wanted to start this questionnaire because I seriously thought it was common knowledge, but now I see it's not as common as I thought. :) It's interesting nonetheless. No right or wrong answer of course, it's just interesting to me to see how my perceptions of how common knowledge it is measures up against the actual data. :)

Actually, I'm pretty sure we're right, and that a lot of people need to get out there and rent some movies this weekend! :D

Actually, I'm pretty sure we're right, and that a lot of people need to get out there and rent some movies this weekend! :D

ROFL It really is a great movie. I think I may have to check it out again myself. :p That and Blade Runner. I haven't seen that movie in AGES!!

Yes

If you are living in my house, yes. Actually made that reference this week. :D

USA

4. How old are you?

56 and 78

Edited by thewaka
checked IMDB and had listed the wrong years

I would also have had no idea what you were talking about, but I gather it is a movie reference and my parents didn't let us watch a lot of movies growing up. I am from the US, currently living overseas, and 41 years old.

ElaineJ

Not a clue what you're talking about.

36, born and raised in Canada, now living in the US.

ETA: I googled. I don't "do" horror or sci-fi movies. I rarely watch any movies, but if I do it's usually comedy, action, or romance. My DH would have totally gotten your reference right away if he was awake to ask.

Edited by fraidycat

4. How old are you?

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end! ;) :p

:

1). At first thought iPod then I remembered pod people.

2)No

3)US

4)49

5) 1978

I was speaking with a dear friend today who was very busy doing all kinds of work in her house after not having the energy to do much for awhile and so I jokingly said to her, "Did you fall asleep next to a pod?" to which she just gave me one of these :confused: and said, "I'm guessing that's supposed to mean something."

I was quite taken aback because I thought that was a pretty common knowledge reference, but said friend is 10 years my junior so it got me wondering if perhaps it is not which led me to wanting to ask The Hive since we have such a wonderful range of ages (and cultures) represented here.

So if you have a minute and you don't mind answering a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. What I would like to know is the following....

4. How old are you?

1978 was my first experience with it and still my favorite. Gotta love Donald at the end! ;) :p

Thanks to all who participate. :) BTW, this is just a informal questionnaire based on my own curiosity. :) It's not meant to embarrass anybody if they don't know the reference. :grouphug:

1. I got it, but not until you mentioned Donald.

2. No, no one uses it around here and we love cultural references.

3. USA

4. 45

5. 2007 (Ben can be my neighbor :D) - I think I own this, must dig it out again.

1. Yes

2. Um... Not sure if it's culturally "important", but it doesn't seem as if you should need to have seen the movies to know pods or gaslighting. They're common references.

3. US

4. 41

5. No idea. It's not a movie I've seen more than once, and possibly not even in its entirety.

I know. Born in the USA. It must be the 1956 one because my memory is very vague and in black and white. Of course that could be because we had black and white tv until the 80's. I'm 47.

I do remember that another came out and was a big deal for a short time, but I don't remember when that was. It could have been the 70's or the 90's but not the 2007 one. I would have thought it was common knowledge, but not all that important culturally.

Nope, no idea what the reference is.

N/A

USA

4. How old are you?

Mid-40s

Hmmm.... No clue. Could be a movie reference. Maybe Invasion of the Body Snatchers but I never saw that movie. Did they remake it that many times?

ETA: Oh, so that is what the reference is. Okay. If you had said pod people instead of just the pod I'd have maybe gotten it. I can't remember how many years ago I'd heard a reference to pods or pod people until opening this thread.

Edited by Parrothead

Not a clue what you're talking about.

36, born and raised in Canada, now living in the US.

ETA: I googled. I don't "do" horror or sci-fi movies. I rarely watch any movies, but if I do it's usually comedy, action, or romance. My DH would have totally gotten your reference right away if he was awake to ask.

No idea either. Well, I thought I did but it wasn't scary so I guess no.

42, born and raised in the US.

I googled to and the top 2 hits were this question!

ETA: I asked dh as he got downstairs, he didn't know either. But when told the dates, he thought of the name of the movie. I IMDB'd Donald and found it. Nope neither of us saw it. I didn't do that kind of movie at that age.

Edited by momofkhm

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Took me a moment, still half asleep, but I finally got it. I don't hear it tossed around in the manner that you did. So, I know the reference, but never heard someone say what you did.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? Iconic, but not culturally important. For my generation on back, I it's probably common knowledge, but also easily forgotten in the time warp. For those younger than I am, I would not expect them to know what I was talking about, especially with they weren't raised with a sci-fi geek like I was.

3. What country do you live in? USA, but was a military brat growing up.

4. How old are you? 37

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D 1978 of course! Scared the dickens out of me as a kid! Just cheesy fun now.

In red ;)

Yes

I thought so

USA

4. How old are you?

almost 40

Never saw any, just aware of the reference

this is about that movie with the aliens in pods who replace humans, right? I don't remember the name of it.....

I'm 36, and probably saw the 90-something one.

I would say it's a pop culture reference that is of low to medium importance, but maybe more so for those in older generations. It's not important enough a reference (in my opinion) that I'd show it to my kids just for the sake of them understanding the reference one day.

I'm an American/grew up in TX, though currently live in Brazil (the past 4.5 yrs).

Sorry, never heard of it. I would have had the same reaction as your friend.

Grew up in the US, currently in Canada

4. How old are you?

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? No, but I'd think you were possibly referencing a movie and would ask.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? N/A

3. What country do you live in? US

4. How old are you? 50

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? N/A

I answered before reading past the OP. Now I'll go back and read a bit before deciding if I should be embarrassed for not getting the reference...

Replying before I read the responses, because I don't want to get any clues. My responses in blue.

1. Do you understand the reference about sleeping (or waking up) next to a pod? Not really, though I'd guess it's a reference to Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

2. If yes, do you think it is a culturally important reference (ie. pretty widely known/common knowledge) or not? No, I don't think so.

3. What country do you live in? U.S., born and raised

4. How old are you? 56

5. And just for fun 1956, 1978, 1993, or 2007? :D If it's Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I've seen the oldest one, but had no interest in ever seeing it again, or in seeing any remakes.

4. How old are you?

1. no

2. n/a

3. USA

4. 46

5. no idea

I would assume it has to do w/the pod people, but I've never seen any of the movies. If anything, I would have picked up on it b/c my dad is a huge sci-fi geek. Same goes for soylent green.

I think to some it's important, but to the general public...not so much.

US

4. How old are you?

None.