Menu

Dr. Who - what is so special about it?

DS2 has urged us to watch this wonderful tv show, Doctor Who, to fill in for Breaking Bad while we wait for the new season to start.

We watched the first two episodes last night. DH, DS3, and I did not like it at all. DS2 says it is because I have no sense of humor, or I don't understand British humor. DH said it was a serial story in a pulp magazine in the 30s and the tv show isn't anywhere near as good as the stories.

So what is so wonderful about the show? Is it just a matter of personal taste that I don't like it? Or am I missing something (besides a sense of humor)? I really, really wanted to like this show, for DS2's sake.

DS11 started watching it at christmas time. I watched the first episode with him and I had to tear myself away so i could get stuff done (which was my reason for putting him in front of it).

One has to like British humor - which I do.

DS is totally addicted. Ask me how many sonic screwdrivers we have?:glare:

I've seen the first two episodes. The 3rd one started with a dead lady. I was scared enough during the first episode when the mannequins came alive. The dog stayed right with me, in case I was attacked. (I do not watch horror movies for a reason.)

The second one had destructive, deadly metal spiders scurrying around. It was not scary. It was dumb.

Humor? Where?

Is there a magic number of episodes I should watch before I make a final decision about this show, or is two enough? I kept thinking that Star Trek Next Generation was a great show ... and it was science fiction, too. Doctor Who reminded me of Power Rangers for the older set.

Edited by RoughCollie

I've seen the first two episodes. The 3rd one started with a dead lady. I was scared enough during the first episode when the mannequins came alive. The dog stayed right with me, in case I was attacked. (I do not watch horror movies for a reason.)

The second one had destructive, deadly metal spiders scurrying around. It was not scary. It was dumb.

Humor? Where?

Is there a magic number of episodes I should watch before I make a final decision about this show, or is two enough? I kept thinking that Star Trek Next Generation was a great show ... and it was science fiction, too. Doctor Who reminded me of Power Rangers for the older set.

Ummmm, my ds is 11. That might be a clue.

One of my nieces, though, is an NYU grad student. My brother in law is a rocket scientist (a PhD rocket scientist) -- they love it.

I guess it's just what appeals to people. I liked the first episode (I thought that Flo's mother was a hoot) but I have no desire at this point to go back to it.

I would start with Christmas invasion, and once you get into season 2, then go back and watch season one (they started renumbering when the show came back). My favorite episodes are the ones with David Tennent, but it might have something to with his looks lol. No, he really is an amazing actor (check him out in Hamlet). It takes a few episodes when the doctor changes to Matt Smith to get back into it too, because his acting style is so different. Christopher Egglston was good (the guy in the two episodes you saw), but he did not stick with the show long enough to really get a good feel for his acting.

I turned off the first episode, because I could not get into it, but dh got me to give it another try, so it might take a bit to get into it. Now I find myself watching it alone, and that rarely happens since I do not watch much tv. of course I like sci-fi and conspiracy theory stuff.

I would start with Christmas invasion, and once you get into season 2, then go back and watch season one (they started renumbering when the show came back). My favorite episodes are the ones with David Tennent, but it might have something to with his looks lol. No, he really is an amazing actor (check him out in Hamlet). It takes a few episodes when the doctor changes to Matt Smith to get back into it too, because his acting style is so different. Christopher Egglston was good (the guy in the two episodes you saw), but he did not stick with the show long enough to really get a good feel for his acting.

I turned off the first episode, because I could not get into it, but dh got me to give it another try, so it might take a bit to get into it. Now I find myself watching it alone, and that rarely happens since I do not watch much tv. of course I like sci-fi and conspiracy theory stuff.

Minus the Hamlet stuff (in red), my ds11 would say the same and has to me and dh.;)

Keep watching until you get to the David Tennant episodes (maybe season 2?) I can't remember exactly when the switch it but that's when I got addicted to the show. Now I can go back and fondly re-watch the first season.

I love Dr Who!!! Drives my whole family crazy as they love British humor but don't get the Doctor. Tennant is the best Doctor but #9 is good too.

:lol::lol::lol: Could I send ds11.5 to spend a week with you? I desperately need to get stuff done around here?:lol::lol::lol:

Everyone in this house is a big Dr. Who fan. I started watching when David Tennant was playing Dr. Who and he will always be a favorite of mine. I was hesitant when Matt Smith took over but he has very quickly grown on me as well.

We occasionally watch an older episode (before David Tennant) and I don't care for them as well. DH, however, is a fan from way way back and loves all the older episodes.

The episodes are not all scary but a few are very scary. We watch it mostly for the humor.

Oh, and the daleks are a classic Dr. Who enemy but I don't like any of the episodes where they play a large role. :D

Everyone in this house is a big Dr. Who fan. I started watching when David Tennant was playing Dr. Who and he will always be a favorite of mine. I was hesitant when Matt Smith took over but he has very quickly grown on me as well.

Same here. DH has never really been able to get into the Chris Eccleston episodes. Matt Smith has definitely grown on us.

In the kickstarter which will be up soon for the tv show that ds is in, we had picked up a really cool t-shirt with a british phone booth on it and that is the shirt the stylist chose for the kickstarter for ds to wear.

i may be able to give a link here --

http://www.facebook.com/#!/ourshowpage

making of the kickstarter -- look for him

and at www.ourshowsite.com

You know, not everyone is going to like the same shows. There's a show that I couldn't get into, despite all of the folks I share entertainment similarities with LOVING it. I love everything else the writer/creator has made, but I simply could not get into......

Firefly.

:leaving:

While we're making TV confessions, I'll admit that I can't for the life of me figure out why Big Bang Theory is so popular. The laugh track is obnoxious, and I thought the humor was stupid and low-brow. :leaving:

But no one needs to justify to me why they enjoy it. I just don't watch it. We all have different tastes, and that's OK.

Edited by WordGirl

DH said it was a serial story in a pulp magazine in the 30s and the tv show isn't anywhere near as good as the stories.

That's the first I heard of this. From everything I read, it was always a tv show, and intended to be something families can watch together. (Disclosure: The link is to a Wikipedia article). Most Brits grew up with it. In a bio of David Tennant I once read, he said he grew up wanting to be Doctor Who. (Many of us are glad that childhood dream came true. :D) It's not intended to be a comedy, though there are humorous moments in most episodes. It's science fiction and it's campy. Not everyone will like it, and it's okay if you don't.

My dh is a Doctor Who nut. I watched some when growing up but not a lot. The new series are ok, I hate Russell T Davies writing it is so full of holes and annoying if you really pay attention to the plot lines and Stephen Moffat's recent efforts haven't been much better. You may prefer the old series that ran from 1963 to 1996 as they were better written and more consistent in it's world though scarier.

That's the first I heard of this. From everything I read, it was always a tv show, and intended to be something families can watch together. (Disclosure: The link is to a Wikipedia article). Most Brits grew up with it.

My first doctor was Patrick Troughton, who apparently stopped being the Doctor when I was six, although there was one episode in which William Hartnell appeared as a vision? hologram? I used to hide behind the sofa when the scary bits came on - my older brothers loved Doctor Who.

Laura

Keep watching until you get to the David Tennant episodes (maybe season 2?) I can't remember exactly when the switch it but that's when I got addicted to the show. Now I can go back and fondly re-watch the first season.

:iagree: This is what I was going to post.

I stuck my dd (10 at the time) in front of it one day when she was sick because it was one of dh's favorite tv shows as a kid and because I heard all the talk about it here. She and older dd were hooked. Of course, they had seen a tv marathon so saw David Tennant first :D We then started from the beginning of the 2005 episodes and are still watching (and re-watching ;)) We all like sci-fi. All of older dd's friends are now hooked as well.

Go watch Blink! and then maybe a couple other David Tennant episodes. If you are going to get hooked, that should do it. I still suggest going back to season 1 and watching though, as there is a subtle theme you shouldn't miss.

I've seen the first two episodes.

Me too. I keep thinking we should watch the next one, but, to be honest, I didn't find the first two interesting enough to make me want to watch another. The one with the mannequins was definitely better than the one with the "evolved" people (the one who looked like a flesh-toned trampoline really creeped me out.)

Humor? Where?.

I've been asking this too. I really, really wanted to like this show because of all the hype here on the boards.

Is there a magic number of episodes I should watch before I make a final decision about this show...?

I'm willing to give it a few more. But something better happen soon to make it seem more enjoyable, or I'm going back to Star Trek: TNG (which I watch over and over and never grow tired of).

I kept thinking that Star Trek Next Generation was a great show ... and it was science fiction, too.

Exactly!!

Doctor Who reminded me of Power Rangers for the older set.

I thought the same thing!!! :lol:

Really, really, watch until Season 2. That is when it starts getting GOOD. I enjoyed the first season, but more in the campy "I can't believe I'm watching this" way. After having seen all the episodes, though, I love going back and re-watching Season 1 :).

You know, not everyone is going to like the same shows. There's a show that I couldn't get into, despite all of the folks I share entertainment similarities with LOVING it. I love everything else the writer/creator has made, but I simply could not get into......

Firefly.

:leaving:

ME TOO!!! So glad to know I'm not alone!

I can understand not liking a show, but I honestly don't think the first two episodes of Season 1 of the "new" Who are greatly representative of the show.

Basic facts that you need:

Dr Who is a time traveler who travels through time and space in his TARDIS (it looks like a police box). He gets a new body when he dies. He likes to travel and show off the universe to earthly "companions," usually young females. There was a "time war" and he is the last of his kind. He has friends and enemies, who you meet again and again.

*Many* of the episodes are great as stand-alones. I would highly suggest watching some of the best of those and then deciding if it's worth watching as a series. I'll list some of my favorites, using the Netflix numbering. When there are two parts, I'll only list the name of the first one. I'll put ten that I think stand alone the best in bold, if you want to give just 10 of them a try.

Best of Season (or series in UK venacular) One:

Episode 6: Dalek

Episodes 9-10: The Empty Child (creepy warning)

Season Two:

Episode 5: The Girl in the Fireplace

Episode 9: The Impossible Planet

Season Three:

Episodes 9-10: Human Nature

Episode 11: Blink, this is one of the best episodes

Season Four:

Episode 2: Partners in Crime-you will understand some of the Think Geek products, at least, lol. A lot of people dislike this episode, so there is a lot of talk about it.

Episodes 9-10: Silence in the Library

Episode 12: Turn Left

Special (listed separately on Netflix): The Waters of Mars

Season Five:

Episode 1: The Eleventh Hour

Episode 3: Victory of the Daleks

Episode 4-5: The Time of Angels

Episode 6: The Vampires of Venice

Episode 10: Vincent and the Doctor

Episode 11: The Lodger

Season Six:

Episode 2: The Day of the Moon

Episode 3: The Curse of the Black Spot

Episode 4: The Doctor's Wife (if you're a sci-fi/fantasy fan, this one is written by Neil Gaiman)

Episode 9: Night Terrors

Episode 10: The Girl Who Waited

What is so great about Dr Who?

Well, the first Doctor has one of the best faces in history and I love him!

I love the second Doctor too.

I love the third Doctor, have a bit of a crush on the Brigadier and the first version of The Master is awesome too. I'd love him if he wasn't a bad guy. :tongue_smilie:

Uh, a bit of a crush on the 9th Doctor too.

Most definite crush on the 10th Doctor (anyone who can be fabulous playing opposite Kylie Minogue is truly fabulous)

The Mind Robber and The War Games, from series six in the classic series are great. The Mind Robber may only be enjoyable if you are already familiar with the characters, but I think War Games is a great episode even if you aren't.

We've just started watching Tom Baker's Doctor!

Rosie

DH said it was a serial story in a pulp magazine in the 30s and the tv show isn't anywhere near as good as the stories.

He might be confusing it with another show. Doctor Who was an original show by BBC in 1963.

DH says maybe he is confusing DW with Doc Savage?

It's definitely a quirky show. I think you have to like British humor as well as enjoy "geeky" stuff. My kids got into the show back when it was on the Sci/fy channel. They came home from swimming one night and their dad was watching. He grew up watching Doctor Who, so he just loved seeing it back on. My kids were immediately hooked. I started watching it with them, and I also got hooked. I liked Eccleston, but Tennant is my favorite. Matt Smith is fun to watch too.

You may need time to get into it. I think the best season to get into it would be season 3, which is with Martha. Those are some of the best episodes.

We've just started watching Tom Baker's Doctor!

Tom Baker will always be my Doctor. :001_smile: Though I liked Christopher Eccleston so much I still haven't moved on to David Tennant. In anticipation (hope on my part, not confirmed) that Mark Gatiss will be taking the helm, this will be a catch-up summer. That said, if I had my drothers, there'd be more Sherlock and less Doctor (assuming a zero-sum game).

Tom Baker will always be my Doctor. :001_smile: Though I liked Christopher Eccleston so much I still haven't moved on to David Tennant. In anticipation (hope on my part, not confirmed) that Mark Gatiss will be taking the helm, this will be a catch-up summer. That said, if I had my drothers, there'd be more Sherlock and less Doctor (assuming a zero-sum game).

I've heard rumors that Benedict Cumberbatch may be the next Master.

Well, DH must be mixing up Dr. Who with someone else, since it was never a story in a pulp magazine. I'd ask him, but the boys will drown me out -- they are discussing whether the BBC is controlled by the British government. I say, if it is, who cares? Not me!

We will watch a few more episodes. It would thrill DS2 if we watched it as a family ... he is really into the show. I mean, he has 2 t-shirts and the talking cookie jar.

Well, DH must be mixing up Dr. Who with someone else, since it was never a story in a pulp magazine. I'd ask him, but the boys will drown me out -- they are discussing whether the BBC is controlled by the British government. I say, if it is, who cares? Not me!

It is supported by the British government, but not controlled by the government.

I would guess the first 5 or 6 episodes were almost unbearable. I really thought the fans here might just be nuts and then it bit me. I LOVE them! LOVE them! My family gave up on them but I was determined to figure out what the deal was. Now they wish they had had fun with them with me. Nanny-nanny-boo-boo! Told them so ;) lol

I completely do not get British humor but really enjoyed these.

Season Four:

Episode 2: Partners in Crime-you will understand some of the Think Geek products, at least, lol. A lot of people dislike this episode, so there is a lot of talk about it.

I love Partners in Crime so much.

I can't even look at that guy who plays Vincent without tearing up.

I loved Eccleston so much that I couldn't even get into Tennant until Series 3. Thinking on it though, that could have been Rose's fault. She's my least favorite companion. I liked Matt Smith from the start.

I love Mark Gatiss.

I've heard rumors that Benedict Cumberbatch may be the next Master.

:svengo:

I'm okay with Rose but my skin wants to crawl off my body with any episode with Donna. I was SO happy to see her GONE! LOL Ok, that's it. As soon as I finish the last few episodes of the Netflix series I'm watching now in going to watch Who for my second time.

Oh, and although I watched them all, I found Firefly to be just so-so but absolutely loved Torchwood. :) Love Captain Jack; literally I think ;) :tongue_smilie:

I'm okay with Rose but my skin wants to crawl off my body with any episode with Donna. I was SO happy to see her GONE! LOL Ok, that's it. As soon as I finish the last few episodes of the Netflix series I'm watching now in going to watch Who for my second time.

Oh, and although I watched them all, I found Firefly to be just so-so but absolutely loved Torchwood. :) Love Captain Jack; literally I think ;) :tongue_smilie:

Really? I liked Donna, but Martha annoyed the heck out of me. I just could not stand her!

And I'm just going to let the Firefly issue lie....:glare:;)

I can understand not liking a show, but I honestly don't think the first two episodes of Season 1 of the "new" Who are greatly representative of the show.

Basic facts that you need:

Dr Who is a time traveler who travels through time and space in his TARDIS (it looks like a police box). He gets a new body when he dies. He likes to travel and show off the universe to earthly "companions," usually young females. There was a "time war" and he is the last of his kind. He has friends and enemies, who you meet again and again.

*Many* of the episodes are great as stand-alones. I would highly suggest watching some of the best of those and then deciding if it's worth watching as a series. I'll list some of my favorites, using the Netflix numbering. When there are two parts, I'll only list the name of the first one. I'll put ten that I think stand alone the best in bold, if you want to give just 10 of them a try.

Best of Season (or series in UK venacular) One:

Episode 6: Dalek

Episodes 9-10: The Empty Child (creepy warning)

Season Two:

Episode 5: The Girl in the Fireplace

Episode 9: The Impossible Planet

Season Three:

Episodes 9-10: Human Nature

Episode 11: Blink, this is one of the best episodes

Season Four:

Episodes 9-10: Silence in the Library

Episode 12: Turn Left

Special (listed separately on Netflix): The Waters of Mars

Season Five:

Episode 1: The Eleventh Hour

Episode 3: Victory of the Daleks

Episode 4-5: The Time of Angels

Episode 6: The Vampires of Venice

Episode 11: The Lodger

Season Six:

Episode 2: The Day of the Moon

Episode 3: The Curse of the Black Spot

Episode 4: The Doctor's Wife (if you're a sci-fi/fantasy fan, this one is written by Neil Gaiman)

Episode 9: Night Terrors

Episode 10: The Girl Who Waited

You put a creepiness warning on The Empty Child, but no warning on Blink? That one scared the pants off me! Those weeping angels are totally freaky! Someone I know put one in her garden and I don't even go in there any more!

(I do agree The Empty Child is creepy, though.)

Did any if you hear Stephen Moffat's interview on Fresh Air about casting Matt Smith? One of the funniest things he said, and there were several, was that Matt Smith was perfect, because he had that old man in the young man's body thing going: "he looks as if he is a young man assembled by some old men from memory." :lol::lol::lol:

I love Tennant and Smith--although I think Smith is so great because his rapport with Amy and Rory is so good.

You put a creepiness warning on The Empty Child, but no warning on Blink? That one scared the pants off me! Those weeping angels are totally freaky! Someone I know put one in her garden and I don't even go in there any more!

(I do agree The Empty Child is creepy, though.)

Blink is scary, not creepy. ;)

I liked Donna the best because the Doctor was safe around her. He didn't fall in love with her, she didn't fall in love with him, and he wasn't constantly groped. Not that I'd mind if the Doctor wanted those things, but he didn't. I love the chemistry between the two.

I think I agree. Donna is actually one of my favorite companions. She is so bold and brash on her own. She isn't tentative about exploring the universe. But, no lovey-dovey stuff. But, she is also sensitive and demands that he get it right.

I love Tennant and Smith--although I think Smith is so great because his rapport with Amy and Rory is so good.

The one thing about Smith is the flirty thing with Amy. I thought maybe he would curb it after The Girl Who Waited or after he found out to whom she was related (spoilers!), but he didn't. I would rather he pal around with Donna or Craig or someone that he can love without it feeling...intimate.