Menu

Dr. Who - what is so special about it?

The one thing about Smith is the flirty thing with Amy. I thought maybe he would curb it after The Girl Who Waited or after he found out to whom she was related (spoilers!), but he didn't. I would rather he pal around with Donna or Craig or someone that he can love without it feeling...intimate.

Right, but it think it is really awesome for the Doctor to love someone who doesn't love him back--a good reversal, ykwim? And I think the two companions thing works because Amy and Rory are so much a unit, and even the Doctor's magnetic personality doesn't damage it.

I am about halfway through Season 1, and while I am glad to hear the seasons get better, I do heart Christopher Eccleston. I am enjoying the show.

Right, but it think it is really awesome for the Doctor to love someone who doesn't love him back--a good reversal, ykwim? And I think the two companions thing works because Amy and Rory are so much a unit, and even the Doctor's magnetic personality doesn't damage it.

With certain revelations? It started to toe the line of the icky side for me, I think. I can see your point, and I think Rory's wait as her guardian really impressed him, but that other factor crept in.

With certain revelations? It started to toe the line of the icky side for me, I think. I can see your point, and I think Rory's wait as her guardian really impressed him, but that other factor crept in.

I know what you are saying. ;) I guess the whole time stream muddliness somehow makes it OK in my mind, :blushing: which I agree is irrational, but there we are. Also, MS himself seems to me to exude a kind of innocence that precludes his being able to really be icky. I dunno, maybe it's just me. :tongue_smilie:

It is supported by the British government, but not controlled by the government.

Anyone who watches television needs a licence and that money supports the BBC. The government sets the level of the licence (just as it controls pricing on other services, such as Royal Mail) but doesn't control the BBC. There is a board of governors and a Director General of the BBC.

Laura

We all love it, but we started with David Tennant. We went back and watched Christopher E but I don't know if I would have liked it as much if I had started with him.

I do like Matt Smith, but David Tennant....:001_wub:

I can't even rewatch the episode where Tennant regenerates because I cry every single time.

I will add that for the first few episodes, I couldn't understand alot of the words because of the accent and they were talking so fast. I actually put on subtitles for awhile!

DH said it was a serial story in a pulp magazine in the 30s and the tv show isn't anywhere near as good as the stories.

I don't think this is correct. Dr. Who has always been a television show that started in the late 50s.

"New mouth new rules!"

We <3 <3 Dr. Who also. My 11-year-old has a crush on Amy Pond. My kids have t-shirts and sonic screwdriver pens. DD 15 has a Brit-themed room. We're all in :-)

We'd own this, but it won't work on iPhone 4s

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/a150/?srp=30

Edited by KungFuPanda

I can understand not liking a show, but I honestly don't think the first two episodes of Season 1 of the "new" Who are greatly representative of the show.

Basic facts that you need:

Dr Who is a time traveler who travels through time and space in his TARDIS (it looks like a police box). He gets a new body when he dies. He likes to travel and show off the universe to earthly "companions," usually young females. There was a "time war" and he is the last of his kind. He has friends and enemies, who you meet again and again.

*Many* of the episodes are great as stand-alones. I would highly suggest watching some of the best of those and then deciding if it's worth watching as a series. I'll list some of my favorites, using the Netflix numbering. When there are two parts, I'll only list the name of the first one. I'll put ten that I think stand alone the best in bold, if you want to give just 10 of them a try.

Best of Season (or series in UK venacular) One:

Episode 6: Dalek

Episodes 9-10: The Empty Child (creepy warning)

Season Two:

Episode 5: The Girl in the Fireplace

Episode 9: The Impossible Planet

Season Three:

Episodes 9-10: Human Nature

Episode 11: Blink, this is one of the best episodes

Season Four:

Episode 2: Partners in Crime-you will understand some of the Think Geek products, at least, lol. A lot of people dislike this episode, so there is a lot of talk about it.

Episodes 9-10: Silence in the Library

Episode 12: Turn Left

Special (listed separately on Netflix): The Waters of Mars

Season Five:

Episode 1: The Eleventh Hour

Episode 3: Victory of the Daleks

Episode 4-5: The Time of Angels

Episode 6: The Vampires of Venice

Episode 10: Vincent and the Doctor

Episode 11: The Lodger

Season Six:

Episode 2: The Day of the Moon

Episode 3: The Curse of the Black Spot

Episode 4: The Doctor's Wife (if you're a sci-fi/fantasy fan, this one is written by Neil Gaiman)

Episode 9: Night Terrors

Episode 10: The Girl Who Waited

Thanks for this! Very helpful!

It depends on which Dr. you are talking about. I am not a fan of the current incarnation at all. I think the franchise lost it's appeal about 10 years ago. It was much better when it took itself less seriously.

David Tennant was fun, fun, fun to watch, but I have a serious crush on Matt Smith's Eleventh Doctor. I know that's heresy, but I can't help it.

:iagree:I think Matt Smith makes a wonderful doctor, and I have so much fun watching him.

"New mouth new rules!"

We <3 <3 Dr. Who also. My 11-year-old has a crush on Amy Pond. My kids have t-shirts and sonic screwdriver pens. DD 15 has a Brit-themed room. We're all in :-)

We'd own this, but it won't work on iPhone 4s

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/a150/?srp=30

Awesome website link. Thanks! Can you share some ideas from your DD's Brit-themed room? DD15 would LOVE to have a room like that.