Menu

What curriculum do your kids want to repeat next year?

fourcatmom

There have been a lot of threads about what curriculum worked this year and what didn't and why. I was going through a few books yesterday and talking to the girls about next year. They both remarked how much they loved a certain book and hoped we do it again.

For them hands down it was Wordly Wise and for my older dd is was TT as well. They both also really enjoyed Road Trip USA and enjoy participating in Geography.

I honestly don't know why they like WW so much but they have done really well with it and I see that it helps. I am still surprised that they want to continue with it though.

There are others that we will repeat as well but this is the only program/book that they asked to do again.

So, what do your kids want to repeat?

Edited by fourcatmom

Is it bad that I never thought to ask?:001_huh:

Ok..I just asked and my rising 8th grader said "Apologia Science."

rising 6th grader said "story of the world"

In reality - 8th grader will go to Apologia Physical Science but 6th grader will be doing MFW ECC no SOTW.

Is it bad that I never thought to ask?:001_huh:

Ok..I just asked and my rising 8th grader said "Apologia Science."

rising 6th grader said "story of the world"

In reality - 8th grader will go to Apologia Physical Science but 6th grader will be doing MFW ECC no SOTW.

No, I actually I didn't ask per say. I was telling them what books we were almost finished with and they both said, "I hope we get to do WW next year!" and it just surprised me. So, then I asked them what else they really liked. I have things that worked for me and so forth but I thought it might be interesting to get their perspective.

Both kids wanted to keep going with Teaching Textbooks. DD loves Lively Latin and Visual Latin so we'll keep going with both of those. She also wanted to keep her Wordly Wise and Vocabulary from Classical Roots. DS is liking GWG, SWS and WWW so we'll keep going with those, although he didn't specifically ask for them. And since they worked so well for him, DD will switch to those for next year, too. Both kids are also excited to start Rosetta Stone Spanish. :D

Learning Adventures- A World of Adventure

This is the first curriculum that my kids ever begged me to continue with the next year. They also enjoy SOTW audios, but those are really just extra fun listening in the car for us. I don't think that they consider it "school." :tongue_smilie:

We are using LOF as an end of year review. I think that they will be happy to do that again next year since it is short and sweet and quite enjoyable.

Angela

My dc definitely want to continue with MFW for history. But the biggest shock was that my 12 ds (who absolutely hated BJU in 4th grade... especially with Mrs. Cropsey for Math), WANTS to do BJU Writing/Grammar next year for 7th grade. It seems that Mrs. Vick has REALLY made a big impression on him, and she will be teaching this class next year. Actually, he is quite content with all things BJU now (except that we all enjoy MFW for history and Bible, as well as art and music).

Brenda

Both of my kids got upset when I asked them if they wanted to switch to a different math program next year. So it looks like we will be using CLE math again. This was our first year using it and I thought it was great. I didn't realize that they were thinking the same thing, :D.

Kim

My DDs both asked for Easy Grammar again. All 3 can't wait to start SOTW 2 - they really enjoyed vol 1 this year. Funny thing is, my oldest DD asked for no Saxon (sorry to disappoint her but it will be in our line-up) while my middle DD was begging to switch from Abeka to Saxon math LOL!! (She will start Saxon in the fall)

Sonlight, but I think we may be switching to Truthquest. I'm thinking kind of the same idea, right?

I also just purchased A Child's Geography of the Holy Land from Miss Sara up there, and we will most definitely be taking a look at that!

CLE math is a no-brainer! Tears at math time are a distant memory!

We're doing R & S grammar again next year, SOTW for history, Spelling Workout, A Beka Reading Program, Singapore Math, Memoria Press for Latin. DS2 is switching from MCP math to TT, which will be a good fit for him, I believe. I would love to stay with REAL Science Odessey, but I'm trying to pare things down and it was too teacher intensive. I know, I know, science should be labs, but doggone it, I can't do everything. We're reluctantly switching to A Beka for science.

Mystery of History. Had this for years and decided to finally use it. My ds said it is the first History curriculum that has not put him to sleep. When I mentioned what period of history he was studying next year he said he didn't care just so long as he uses the MOH curriculum.

BJU Math. Have used BJU math since we started homeschooling 19 yrs ago. Someone is always using it, next year it will be both my children. Dd actually started 3rd grade math and ds will begin Geometry and Algebra II.

Apologia Science. Swore I would never use this again but it is a perfect fit for my ds.

Elemental Science and RSO. The combination creates a perfect science curriculum.

Mystery of History. Had this for years and decided to finally use it. My ds said it is the first History curriculum that has not put him to sleep. When I mentioned what period of history he was studying next year he said he didn't care just so long as he uses the MOH curriculum.

Love that you said this. We're looking at MOH for when we start our four year cycle.

For us, the main one my DS requested again is MCT Language Arts. He cannot get enough of this program!! We are finishing up Island Level and I just bought Town for next year.

Oh, and he wanted me to order more Life of Fred books too. I did. :D

Mystery of History.

:iagree: Us too! This is by far hands down my kids all time favorite! We did MFW this year and they loved it but asked to add in MOH next year so I figured I might as well save the money and do MOH. Its a GREAT program!

Both dd's asked to continue with TT. They love it! We will with some supplements (I can't do just 1 math program :lol:)

Dd8th ASKED to continue with R&S grammar!!! This about blew me away! This is my child who I think grew up speaking Greek and not English. My child who HATES grammar with a passion. She also asked to go back to Apologia Science. That will have to wait til 10th grade because I have all of her 9th grade curriculum already. We are doing integrated science through high school so she can do the program she wants and I can still do what I want. A win-win situation :)

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

DS is excited for the next level of AAS, Mr. Q, and (whenever it becomes available) SSL2.

DD was just telling me today that she wants Life of Fred Calculus, of all things (she has read up through Beginning Algebra and Geometry). Yeah, it's going to be awhile for that particular book :tongue_smilie:

DS is excited for the next level of AAS, Mr. Q, and (whenever it becomes available) SSL2.

DD was just telling me today that she wants Life of Fred Calculus, of all things (she has read up through Beginning Algebra and Geometry). Yeah, it's going to be awhile for that particular book :tongue_smilie:

My DS has asked for Fred's Calculus too! He's interested in the math, but he really wants that volume because they keep mentioning that Fred's full life story will be told there. :)

I forgot about SSL2. The boys were discussing this today since I promised to buy SSG for ds8 to do on vacation. Ds8 was very disappointed his brother won't be able to do SSL2 on vacation since it won't be out yet. Now, I'm buying 2 SSG books for our 28 hour drive to NY.

Rod and Staff English. Last year, my daughter told me it was her goal to finish the series. My other dd told me she just loves it.

Not something I would have picked to fall in love with as a student. Good solid program, but a bit dry sometime.

Sonlight is the big favorite here. My daughter started Megawords this year and has commented a few times about how much she likes it. She also uses TT as a supplement because she enjoys it so much. Atelier Art is another keeper. My son always wants to continue with whatever he's using, but that's just because he doesn't like change.:D

Lisa

My younger dd wants to continue everything she's currently doing - WWE, McRuffy Cursive, ETC, LoF, Saxon, CLP Nature Reader and readers following the MCP schedule. She's feeling confident about what she's learned, so she just wants to keep it up. Planning next year is going to be easy. :)

Older dd is continuing cello, but nothing else - she's off to a classical school next year.

I have been teaching Singapore math for 14 years, so we'll keep that one ;) One ds will move to AoPS (likely with Singapore as a supplement), but my younger two are still in Singapore Primary.

We'll do our sixth year of Tapestry of Grace in the fall.

I'll be continuing WWS and The Creative Writer with ds (12). We'll also continue on with All About Spelling.

Rod and Staff English. Last year, my daughter told me it was her goal to finish the series. My other dd told me she just loves it.

Not something I would have picked to fall in love with as a student. Good solid program, but a bit dry sometime.

My dd is glad that I did R&S with her (we only did the grade 6 year) and she thinks I should do it with the boys in the fall. I'm not sure how I fit in as many things as I did when she was younger...

MathuSee (both of them love MUS)

Life of Fred (we just started this recently to "try it out" and they want to make it permanent)

studied dictation (for spelling)

IEW's Poetry Memorization

Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek

Getting Started With Latin (will be continuing from this year, not exactly repeating... we've tried several different Latin curricula in the past and this is the one that has really clicked with them)

Rod & Staff English (I thought I may drop it for next year but just today both of them said they want to continue it... they realize how much they are learning. It's quite amazing because both of them have gone through periods of not liking it. We were in Wal-mart today and they overheard someone using poor grammar and they couldn't believe it! They said that everyone should have to use R&S. )

Sonlight (we don't even use SL anymore but they love it and I have to keep reading SL to them no matter what else we are ever doing - so we will be reading Core E with our other history for next year. It matches up well because we will be covering 1850 to Modern Times.)

Edited by Donna T.

We're continuing all the same curriculum for Middle Girl next year (except Hillyer CHOW, which we're finishing), but the one thing she's literally begged to continue has been the TOPS science units. She told me just today that she dreamed there was another electricity unit and that she got to keep doing it all summer.