Menu

Will you please share how much you pay per kWh for electricity?

Well, it depends.

Our electricity supply charge is 6.9 cents per kWh

Then there is a transmission charge - another .7 of a cent per kWh

Oddly under that they list delivery services- to get it here, I assume. Those add another 2 cents per kWh.

When I add all the taxes, my actual cost is 12.6 cents per kWh.

Commonwealth Edison - nearly as annoying as Comcast.

Edited by Annie G

We just had ours raised (and I'm not thrilled). It is now 9.0 cents per kwh

Thanks and bummer! I think I was getting smoked for power. When I signed up 7 years ago, I didn't know enough about rates and didn't pay attention. Imagine my surprise that the electric co signs me on for a 2 year contract and then every single year :confused: calls and offers me a reduced rate to sign me up for 2 more years. Now I'm finding out that I was paying a freakishly high rate. My new low rate that I was super stoked about this time last year is 10.44 cents per kWh! On the bright side, hopefully my yearly phone call is just around the corner. :tongue_smilie:

The people who lived here before were told that the rates were going to skyrocket and they should lock in a rate. That was 2008. They locked in (for 3 years) 13cent/kwh. We asked them to PLEASE see if they could get out of their contract so we could use our own electric. THankfully, they were fine to cancel under the circumstances. Thankfully.

Wow, maybe we're lucky at .061 kwh or maybe the previous posters don't have all those extra fees tacked on top of that; taxes, fish and wildlife, etc. etc. or maybe you do?

Yeah, I figure they get you one way or another. It is a big deal in TX that there is no state income tax but watch out for the super high property taxes! They need your money and they will go after it somehow.

We live in Southern California and also have a tiered rate. Our rates are as follows:

Tier 1: 294 kWh = $0.13/kWh

Tier 2: 88 kWh = $0.16

Tier 3: 206 kWh = $0.24

Tier 4: 294 kWh = $0.26

Tier 5: Once you've reached 882 kWh = $0.31

It makes for some rather spendy electric bills!!

We live in Southern California and also have a tiered rate. Our rates are as follows:

:svengo: :svengo: :svengo:

OHHH MYYYYY!!! At that rate, my bill this month would've been nearly $1000!!! I can't even imagine!

I'm in Western Australia, and we have what is called a 'Smart Meter'. Sometimes I wonder if it's smart for us, or smart for them.

Weekdays.. .summer (winter)

7am-11am 20.42c/kWh (40.14c/kWh)

11am-5pm 40.14 (20.42)

5pm-9pm 20.42 (40.14)

9pm-7am 10.78 (10.78)

Weekends - (year round)

7am-9pm 16.92c

9pm-7am 10.78

I guess with the exchange rates it's a little lower in US money.

Our tariffs have gone up almost double in the last few years. We try to use power on the off peak or shoulder times, but sometimes we either forget or it's not convenient. Our power bill is still quite high (about $500/month) even taking these measures.

Edited by Isabella

I don't know if I'm doing this right. Help me figure this out? Here is my electric portion of the bill:

Power Supply Charges

Power Supply Energy: 493 KWH@0.06912 34.08

507 KWH@0.08257 41.86

Renewable Energy Plan Surcharge 3.00

Other Power Supply Surcharges: 7.49

Delivery Charges

Service Charge 6.00

Distribution: 1000 KWH@0.5003 50.03

Energy Optimization: 1000KWH@0.002664 2.66

Other Delivery Surcharges: 6.63

Residential MI Sales Tax: 6.07

What the heck does all that mean??? My total for electric last month is $157.82 . So, how much is that per KWH? On first glance it looks like it's 7 - 8 cents, but then add up the distribution and divide it by 3000 (the approximate number of KWH? Right?) and it jumps to 23 cents. I'm confused.

I think part of the problem with comparisons is that various states have different regulations on how one pays for electricity. In some places, customers are charged different amounts for generation vs. transmission.

I just pulled out a recent electric bill. Supposedly I pay $0.096 per KWH. But I also pay a fixed "facilities" charge--no matter how much electricity I use. With tax, when all is said and done, I think I pay $0.137 per KWH-simply taking the total bill and dividing it by total usage.

I don't know if I'm doing this right. Help me figure this out? Here is my electric portion of the bill:

Power Supply Charges

507 KWH@0.08257 41.86

Delivery Charges

Service Charge 6.00

What the heck does all that mean??? My total for electric last month is $157.82 . So, how much is that per KWH? On first glance it looks like it's 7 - 8 cents, but then add up the distribution and divide it by 3000 (the approximate number of KWH? Right?) and it jumps to 23 cents. I'm confused.

So your state distinguishes between electrical generation and transmission. It appears that you have peak and off-peak rates for usage (7-8 cents) plus you pay an extra five cents per KWH to have it sent along the lines to your house. I would say that when all is said and done you are paying 15.782 cents per KWH. You used 1000 KWH (thanks for the nice round number). Divide the total by this.

When we lived in SoCal our bill was low as we rarely ran any a/c or heat though.

Here in NC we run our heat and A/C many months of the year as the weather is more severe.

Our bill in NC is more than our bill was in CA.

Dawn

:svengo: :svengo: :svengo:

OHHH MYYYYY!!! At that rate, my bill this month would've been nearly $1000!!! I can't even imagine!

We have a 3500 square foot house and only pay around 150-175 each month in electricity. Our cost is 7.1 cents here in Texas. But I am part of a rural co-op.

Our house isn't quite so big, but we're also part of a rural co-op and our electric bills have never been so low. Our rate is $.06 but it averages to $.09 with all taxes and fees included.

I don't think I am *ever* moving from this rural co-op area. :D What's really nice is that this used to be rural, but is now quite suburban, but we still are part of the rural co-op. I am usually a real stickler about our thermostat, but since I am a pregnant woman within an internal furnace at the moment, I am really enjoying being able to afford to keep the house nice and cool!

We formerly lived in the Houston area and in Central Texas and our electricity bills were 3x as much. Our rate there was closer to $.13, but was variable and had many more fees tacked on.

I don't know what our rate is here, but our electric bill is less than $4/month if the A/C isn't running.

Wow that's cheap! This month my electric bill was only $202, that's the lowest it's been in years.

Our "average" cost is 0.16/kwh. We have a tiered system (northern California), so that the more you use, the more you pay per kwh.

We have this same system.

Our barn has a separate electric bill and it doesn't get the tiered system because the barn doesn't have a separate well (that's what PG&E told me) and we pay $0.21/kwh.

I just posted almost the same thing but then saw your post. I am in Orange County too and can't believe how much we pay. :001_huh:

Power Supply Charges

507 KWH@0.08257 41.86

Delivery Charges

Service Charge 6.00

I checked our bill and it looks just like this (MI). Without the taxes and surcharges it's between .07 and .08 cents a KWH. With the taxes and surcharges it's more like .16 cents a KWH. Thanks to this thread my dh is now ticked off at all the stupid 'extra' charges :001_smile:

I checked our bill and it looks just like this (MI). Without the taxes and surcharges it's between .07 and .08 cents a KWH. With the taxes and surcharges it's more like .16 cents a KWH. Thanks to this thread my dh is now ticked off at all the stupid 'extra' charges :001_smile:

But that 7 to 8 cents is just for generation. The charge for distribution (i.e. the power lines) has to be borne by someone. It really is not a surcharge.

Not all states require this kind of itemization for generation vs. distribution. I guess you are getting a clearer picture of all charges--as if that is some sort of comfort!

Fixed 0.08265/kWh

Customer charge $4.00

District Charge 0.03125863 x first 600 kWh

District Charge 0.03787863 after first 600

Transition charge 0.00016731 /kWh

Transmission charge 0.01623198/kWh

Energy efficiency charge 0.00667 / kWh

Renewable Energy charge 0.0005/kwh

When we lost our power for 4 days from Hurricane Irene, we only saved $6 on our bill.

Edited by LMA
Fixed several digits!