Menu

What chores does your 10yo do?

Our 13 yo, 10 yo and 8 yo each take a week doing the dishes after meals. The 10 yo also helps take care of the chickens--food and water, cleaning out the coop once a week or so, letting them out each morning and locking them up each night. He also helps with mowing and pulling weeds and watering around the property plus any odd job that dh might have. Each child gets their own clothes out of the clean laundry, folds and puts the clothes away.

Keeps his room clean (once a month really good clean; the rest of the time I have to remind him and remind him), loads and unloads the dishwasher, cleans up dog doo in the backyard, cleans cat litter box, takes out trash, recycling, and compost, straightens up his stuff, helps dust, vacuum, etc. when asked, mows lawn or shovels snow. We pay him $5/week and an extra $10 when he mows and $5 when he shovels. We also pay him some extra cash for extra stuff like cleaning garbage cans or washing/vacuuming cars.

My 10 yo has the following chores:

Keeps room tidy, makes bed, etc.

Empties/loads dishwasher

Feeds the dog

She and little sis help with doing laundry and folding, putting away, etc.

Helps to keep the schoolroom tidy

Makes her own breakfast and lunch

I think that's it.:)

My almost-11yo

-makes his bed

-keeps his room clean

-puts away clean laundry for himself and two brothers

-clears the table after dinner

-rinses dishes and puts them in the dishwasher

-keeps track of and washes all his sports gear

-helps shovel snow and with yardwork

Everyday she has to:

-make her bed

-brush her teeth and hair

-do a 10 minute pick up in her room

-empty one shelf of dishwasher (sis does the other)

-take out trash or recycle

-every other day she is responsible for keeping the table clean (sis does other days)

-ask me "What can I do to help you today?"

For this last one I've spent a lot of time teaching (and continue to teach) her (and sis) how to do a variety of household jobs. I've shown them exactly how and with what tools to clean everything from cupboards, floors, dusting, walls, etc.

This has been a BIG help because there's not a day that goes by where I'm not walking past something thinking "shoot I need to take care of that!"

I alway balance out the job I give with how energetic, busy or burnt out they are. But the important thing is that that what ever they did, it's something that was truly helpful. And I really do need help. :001_smile:

My ds10 is routinely in charge of:

cleaning his bedroom, including weekly dusting and vacuuming

recycling

cleaning up after dogs

dusting through out the downstairs

putting his own dishes into the dishwasher

bringing his dirty clothes to laundry room

putting his clean clothes away

keeping his belonging in their proper places

feeding and caring for his aquarium

My girls daily chores:

Clean room

Sweep kitchen, living room

Empty dishwasher

Clean bathroom sink

Wipe toilet with Clorox wipes

Wipe kitchen counters

Weekly:

Vacuum

Dust

Mop kitchen

Mop bathroom

Laundry - wash, fold, put away (their own laundry)

Edited by CandaceC

Don't have a 10 y.o. but my 9 y.o. son:

Makes his bed and cleans/dusts his room

Empties his hamper when needed

Empties the trash

Sweeps the bathroom

Fills the chicken food

Feeds the dog

Sharpens pencils (this is a weekly chore in our house)

Puts away his laundry

Picks up the yard (toys)

Helps with meals (prep, table setting and clearing, dishes, etc.)

Sweeps the porch

Helps pick up the house every day after lunch and before dinner

Now that I write it all out, it seems he's doing more than I think! But all four of my kids do quite a few chores, I couldn't survive any other way!

My closest is 11, but newly so.

He puts away his own clean laundry (I fold & put on hangers for him when I do the rest), cleans his own room each day, picks up after himself around the house, clears the table before/after dinner, and just gives a general assist as needed.

When we still had his cat, he was solely responsible for the litter box & feeding/watering the cat as well.

He doesn't so much have regular, assigned chores as he has the expectation to help when needed. Period. This method works for us, and I find I have fewer arguments this way as no one can then say "but that's not my job!" Anything is fair game.

My 10 year old son vacuums his bedroom (and the upstairs hallway) twice per week. He also sweeps the kitchen daily, takes out the trash daily, washes dinner dishes three nights per week, cleans all three toilet bowls three times per week, folds and puts away his laundry, and helps prepare meals as needed.

I find it interesting the people who think it should be a 10 year child's responsibility to do the laundry for the entire family. I'm guessing these people REALLY don't like doing laundry is why they give that size task to a 10 year old. I could see having them be responsible for helping with the laundry, but I would never make a 10 year old do the entire family's laundry.

I notice a lot of you listing loading and/or unloading the dishwasher. Do you think your 10yo could handle washing dishes the old-fashioned way (and do a good job at it)?

If my 10yo was going to be in charge of hand washing dishes I'd first find a pair of XS rubber gloves. I need that water to be nice and hot.

I'd teach and teach how to do it exactly the way I like it and why. Then I'd probably ask them to not wash XYZ because they require extra care or a gentle hand.

I'm sure my 10yo is perfectly capable. But, we have a dishwasher and mama likes to "play tetris" and perfectly fit amazing amounts of dishes in the machine. :D (cheap thrills! :lol:)

My three girls have shared and rotated chores for years...but since they were around 7 or 8 they have done the following:

Wash dishes

Empty the trash

Wash/fold/put away laundry

Cleaned their rooms.

They also helped me dust, vacuum, clean bathrooms, etc. as needed.

My now 11 year olds also cook their own breakfast and lunch, feed and water the chickens and cat, collect eggs, and help with general outside labor.

I notice a lot of you listing loading and/or unloading the dishwasher. Do you think your 10yo could handle washing dishes the old-fashioned way (and do a good job at it)?

Definitely. Mine were doing it as soon as they could stand on a stool and reach the sink. (sigh...they WANTED to back then!)

He empties the dishwasher and has to pick up after himself.

I'd like him to do more, but I can barely get him to do that and he is clumsy (and breaks my stuff).

Mine, too. He helps the 7 yo empty the dishwasher, does random stuff for me sometimes (take this to recycling, go get x from the car, etc.).

Mine does all the household laundry

trash/recycling

bathroom cleaning

vacuuming

Clean up table and floor after dinner

Keep bedroom clean

Can I adopt your kid? :lol:

I find it interesting the people who think it should be a 10 year child's responsibility to do the laundry for the entire family. I'm guessing these people REALLY don't like doing laundry is why they give that size task to a 10 year old. I could see having them be responsible for helping with the laundry, but I would never make a 10 year old do the entire family's laundry.

Well, DS7 does ours, the washing and drying anyways (I fold and put away) but we are only 3 people, so it's not THAT much. If I had another kid, they would each have laundry days.

I HATE doing the laundry. DS makes the most dirty clothes out of all of us. And strangely, he LIKES to do it.

I spend a LOT of time educating him, PLANNING his education, running him around to activities, cooking his meals, grocery shopping, cleaning the house, and doing college work, etc. His father works, spends time with him, does yard work, and helps me around the house, etc. DS wants for nothing and lacks nothing; he's actually a bit spoiled. The LEAST he can do is the laundry and unload the dishwasher, in addition to picking up after himself.

DS10 mows the lawn (reel mower), plus helps with garden chores as needed.

Takes out the compost.

Puts away his laundry, plus any other laundry he is asked to put away.

DH has DS wash pots and pans, plus DH oversees DS oiling down our kitchen cabinets. (DS actually loves to oil our cabinets. :001_huh:)

Sets table, clears kitchen table, empties dishwasher, fills dishwasher.

Helps grocery shop (menu plan, make grocery list) and carry groceries inside.

Takes out recycling/trash.

We don't really have assigned chores, more of a "Hey, this needs done..."

I agree!! I could Never expect a child any child for that matter to handle undergarments of grown adults. That is just gross :tongue_smilie:

DD will be 10 this summer. She

vacuums the rug in the living room (I do the wood floor), OR uses the broom in the dining room and

empties the dishwasher every day.

That is pretty much it.

She also makes snacks for herself and her brother.

Sometimes I ask her to do more but her brother bugs all of us to death all of the time so I really can't ask her for more.

Pshaw! DS is the only one with skid marks!

I assume as a woman you have that time of the month? I assume you also engage in intimate activity as well? You can have any idea you want on your child I just cannot imagine having one of my children even girls do my laundry. It is gross, not to mention mine. I didn't have kids to do all the work.

As far as chores go my newly turned 11 year old washes silverwear and cups everyday, he helps pick up the yard, on Tuesday he takes out trash, he helps keep his room to my standards, that is shared with his brother, he makes his little sister cereal in the morning and picks up any mess he is responsible for because he made it.

We all share in the house and no one kid does all of anything. We all keep the house clean. He does put his laundry in the dirty basket.

I could Never expect a child any child for that matter to handle undergarments of grown adults. That is just gross
AT our house, any 'soiled' laundry is washed separately and washed by the wearer.

Honestly, it probably isn't any grosser/germier than, say, a dishcloth that has come into contact with raw chicken juice.

All the same, we have always taught that you wash your hands after handling dirty laundry.

It is interesting how one families views family involvement/chores over another family.

My mom had my sister and I doing all of the meals by the time we were 12/13-years-old. We did the menu planning, grocery list and all of the meals, plus clean-up.

At the time, we thought it was awful.

Now, as an adult, I don't know anyone my age that knows how to cook from scratch, how to get a complete meal on the table at the same time, how to bake yeast bread, etc.

Now I am thankful that my mom made me cook so much as a child.

And, yes, I am taking the same route with my child. He started helping in the kitchen as soon as he could push the chair over to the counter. At 10, he knows how to make a grocery list and how to shop for what we need. He can talk to the butcher and tell him what he wants. He can talk to the guy at the bakery and tell him how he wants his loaf of bread cut. It is giving him real-life experience now, so he won't be overwhelmed when he enters the adult world.

My 10yo:

empties the dishwasher

feeds the cats

puts away her own laundry

makes her bed

tidies her room

unloads and puts away groceries

cleans up toys and stuff that she and her brothers get out

helps with meal prep/cleanup sometimes.

helps with getting us ready to go out

helps with the little guys -- occasional diaper changes, helping them put on shoes, buckling/unbuckling carseats, etc.

Occasionally, she sweeps, vacuums, or mops.

I'm pretty happy with that. She doesn't generally consider helping with the baby or meals to be chores; she generally likes doing those things.

I don't like other people doing the laundry; I have a system and prefer to do it myself.

She does what I ask her to do. On a daily (or almost daily) basis that is unpacking the dishwasher, packing the dishwasher, and taking out the rubbish and recycling. When I do the washing she may be asked to put away all non-clothes items. She is asked to clean the car out once every couple of weeks. Sometimes she wipes down the basin or cleans the bath. Recently she has been watering the garden for me. Basically, if I am working, I feel OK giving her something to do.

In addition she is responsible for tidying her room (bed made, clothes put away, floors clear), unasked. If I decide to wash the floors, and her room is not tidy, then she has "made the choice" that she would rather I do that - I then tidy her room, and give her a job I really don't want to do to make up for the time I had to spend on her room. This works out well!

Let's see, at 10 my kids chores list was...

Put silverware from dishwasher away.

Get animals fresh water daily.

Wash, dry and put away her laundry once a week and her bedding once a month.

Feed her cat and empty the litter box daily.

Straighten her room 10 minutes a day.

Alternate days of emptying trash and getting mail with her sister.

All 3 of mine clean up after themselves after each meal or snack, everyone gets a turn daily sweeping the kitchen floor, they fold and put away own laundry, each vacuum his/her own bedroom weekly, daily make beds, they all take turns taking out the trash and rolling the cans to the curb, cleaning up the inside of vehicles including vacuuming and washing the outside, wiping the bathroom sinks after use...... I think that's about it. We don't use a chart but they just know that I expect them to find something that needs to be done and do it. If the dishwasher is ready to be loaded they need to load it; if it's ready to unload they need to unload it. Mine are 10, 8 and 7.

You could show your child what my children do every week. I posted it on my blog. http://thecrimsoncoveredfarmlife.com/2012/04/05/flap-your-wings-and-fly/

My son is 11 and my daughter is 9.

I looked at your list and technically I don't think it is too much. You have spelled everything he needs done out step by step. When broken down most of those are not really chores, shower brush teeth etc. When he saw that list though did he get overwhelmed?

Like I said I don't think it is all chores exactly mostly personal care school and a few actual chores but I am just wondering if when he saw it all typed out did he feel like OMGosh? I could just see where a 10 year old would think that is so much all spelled out like that. Do your children actually check them off step by step? Do you have a system in checking them?

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I can see that my 10 year old is really a slacker! :lol:

In the way of "chores" she doesn't do anything really; she will do things here and there when told but it is always begrudgingly. My fault totally though, simply because I do *not* want the battle that goes with assigning her a set of chores!

This is all about to change however; she knows that I am working on making a family chore chart, she knows that there are things that will be expected of her, period, end of story. This thread has given me much inspiration.

(a side note: my 15 year old is a chore monster! He *loves* doing just about anything that is needed around the house; and he does all the family laundry -- a task he took upon himself to do, I never ever asked it of him!)

My son is 9 (10 in Nov.) and he pretty much is capable of doing anything I ask, but his responsibilities are the trash, taking care of the dog, keeping the kids bathroom clean, helps with laundry(he knows how to do it on his own), washes dishes, sweeps, mops, vacuums, dusting, ect.

He doesnt do everything on a daily basis, but they are all part of his responsibilities.

I am a firm believer that if you live under this roof your contribute to the upkeep of our home.

I have a 7 year old dd, and a 4 year old ds that are also included in the household upkeep.

Always responsible for:

picking up after himself (ha hahaha :lol: haha sorry ... this is the plan, but getting him to follow through..well, I'd be more likely to see pigs fly)

his laundry (with much reminding)

cat box (again with the reminding and sending him back to do it again...and again)

Rotating chores on a monthly basis: usually two of these

trash - kitchen trash, gather small/bathroom trash, garage trash, take dumpster to the curb weekly

sweep kitchen floor

sweep dining room floor

wipe tables/counters/chairs after each meal

move chairs

And whatever else I tell him to do: there's at least one of these done weekly

tidy the entry

pick up the media room

clean the garage

pick up the yard

My ds 9 has to: help unload groceries, bring trash from upstairs and downstairs to be dumped in the kitchen trash, clean bedroom (with brother) every Friday, vacuum basement and straighten up living room (both every Friday).

My ds 11 has to: help unload groceries, unload dishes (daily), feed dogs in the morning (daily), clean 1/2 bathroom (Fridays), clean bedroom (with younger brother), wash/dry own clothes.

Is that enough?:D We keep adding.

I have a 9 yo and a 12 yo and they do similar chores including: scouring bathrooms, vacuuming and dusting, cleaning the car (inside) and emptying garbage. The 12 yo also does laundry and takes care of the chickens. They also help outside (raking, shoveling, gardening) as necessary. Their chores just go on their daily school to-do sheet and it's finally become a habit I don't have to nag them about!

I assume as a woman you have that time of the month? I assume you also engage in intimate activity as well? You can have any idea you want on your child I just cannot imagine having one of my children even girls do my laundry. It is gross, not to mention mine. I didn't have kids to do all the work.

As far as chores go my newly turned 11 year old washes silverwear and cups everyday, he helps pick up the yard, on Tuesday he takes out trash, he helps keep his room to my standards, that is shared with his brother, he makes his little sister cereal in the morning and picks up any mess he is responsible for because he made it.

We all share in the house and no one kid does all of anything. We all keep the house clean. He does put his laundry in the dirty basket.

Yes, I have that time of the month, and if I have any accidents, I wash it out right away. My knickers are kept in very good condition, thank you very much.

And I don't know about you, but when I engage in "intimate activities" I do it with my knickers *off*.

I'm sorry that your laundry is so *gross* that you don't want anyone touching it. :confused: Before DS did the laundry, I frequently brought it to the laundromat and paid the lady there to do it. It never crossed my mind that it might be *gross*. Is it so hard to imagine that maybe not everyone is as gross as you are when it comes to their undies?

I did not have a child so he could "do all the work". He's a part of this family and he helps out. We ALL do our part to keep things running... I can't help it if you think *your* way is better than mine, nor do I care.

Yes, I have that time of the month, and if I have any accidents, I wash it out right away. My knickers are kept in very good condition, thank you very much.

And I don't know about you, but when I engage in "intimate activities" I do it with my knickers *off*.

:lol: Sorry, but this cracked me up. I definitely don't think it's gross to do someone else's laundry. We usually wash our hands after handling the dirty laundry anyway.