Menu

Martial arts: how much do you pay?

What sort of martial arts does your child do?

How much do you pay for classes/lessons?

What does that payment give you access to as in number and length of classes/lessons?

Are there other charges, like belt testing, and how much are they?

Thank you!

We pay nothing. ::ducking:: DH teaches aikido in our home studio. I honestly have no clue what he charges for tuition. I wussed out after getting my blue belt (4th test), so I don't even go to class anymore. I know there are karate and tae Kwan do studios in our area that charge a bundle for tiny kids, but aikido isn't really set up to be a big revenue art.

We pay $300/month for the whole family (3+ people). The 3 older boys do it with DH. Up to 3 times a week. No additional fees. Tae Kwon Do. It is pricey but we toured lots of places and this is the only one whose philosophy matched ours and I wasn't willing to compromise.

We pay $135 a month for Tae Kwon DO. That is for as many classes every week that ds wants to take. He is a junior black belt, so he takes 3-7 classes a week depending on what else is going on. We have 3 progress tests 6 months apart and then the 2nd degree, and I don't even want to think about how much that one costs...

Edited by Northwest_Mama

We pay $150 family tuition per month.

It includes all family members living in the same house who want to participate (four from our family) and as many hour-long classes as the guys want to attend.

Belt testing is extra, as is the gi and equipment like sparring gloves. I think the belt test is $35 per person per test. They do not allow a student to pay and test if the student is not ready to pass to the next level.

Cat

Oh, this is for Shao Lin Kempo & the Belt tests are $50, I think. There are also extra classes a couple of times a year or so... for about $30.

We pay $115.00 for up to 5 classes a week and one private lesson (30min) a week. For the "private" it's usually with one other student. (So they can work together) After we purchase sparring gear they can do another hour of sparring lessons. :)

We paid (I used past tense because my DS was not LOVING it, and at the price, if he didn't LOVE it, I couldn't see the sense in paying. I mean, we had to force him to go alot of the time), anyhoo, we paid $125 a month for just him. He could attend as many classes as we wanted, 6 days a week. And M/W/F there were two time slots to pick from for his age.

No fees for testing. Initial uniform included in registration fee. SUbsequent would need to be paid for. We did have to buy a chest guard (the thing they wear when they are sparring). That was $25 I think and would have lasted probably a year until he out grew it.

Overall, I thought it was worth it, and loved what the classes offered him (he's my non-athletic guy and doesn't want to participate in any thing that isn't just playing with friends). But once he started complaining constantly , we had to evaluate whether it was worth in monthly.

I pay about $200 for four people to take two one hour TKD classes per week plus one person to take two one hour classes of kettle bells. I think without the kettle bells it is $165 for four. We are fortunate that we take a noon class with adults and homeschoolers. The evening classes are open to us as well so we could add another four 45 minute classes per person if we wanted to at no extra charge. We don't because my kids swim at night 5 days per week (if they are up to it).

We pay about $35 per belt test and the occassional fund raisor.

The suit was free at start up.

We needed patches and each person cost us about $50.

My kids love it and I like the break midday so it is worth every penny.

We pay $80 a month for up to three classes a week.

We pay an additional $50 for sparring class.

I have no idea how much color belt testing costs because we were at a different school for most of them and DH handles everything at our current school, but we paid $500 for black belt testing plus another $120 for required private lessons leading up to the test. Black belt testing is a LOT more expensive than the colored belts.

We pay 400 dirhams (about about US$100) per kid per month for karate, two 1-hr lessons a week. The instructor conducts classes in his garden at home, a "higher-up" person comes from Dubai periodically to conduct tests at 150 dirhams (abt US$40) per.

We were on our own for uniforms/other equipment, we bought them from a sporting goods store (after I was sure the kids were going to stick with it a while).

Our instructor does things a bit differently. We pay per kid, per session. Each session is 8 weeks and is $50/kid. I usually end up writing a check for around $250 every 8 weeks for my four kids to take all their classes.

During the summer she has week-long "camps." There are six to choose from. Each hour-long camp (5 days) is $50. The Advanced Camps (3 hours/day) are $100 each. I usually spend around $1000 for my kids over the summer.

Testing for the lower belts is $20 each. My oldest just tested for his second degree black belt and it was $250.

I definitely love this instructor! She spells out every expense so that nothing is a surprise.

We pay a monthly fee of about$150.00 for the 4 of us. Gi's are $25.00 but Our Sensei never actually takes out money for them. Weapons are extra but again he never really charges us for them.

Belt testing is $10-$50.00.

We attend as many classes per week as we want. Could be up to 17 classes of karate plus 8 classes of cardio kickboxing.We can also attend a weekly yoga class and zumba class for a lesser fee to the instructor. IT is an outside instructor who does reduced fees for students of the dojo.

We have 2 advanced classes with emphasis on weapon training per week that purple belt and higher are asked to attend but there is no seperate charge for those classes.

We also do local demos, I teach women's self defense and I also teach the morning cardio kickboxing so not paying for the weapons and Gis works out.

Our Sensei also always tries to work out costs with people to be able to attend, people just have to talk to him about it!

Guest BadgerMum

I study karate, DD fences, but I'll chime in:

- I pay $100 per month... my dojo recommends $100 for the first family member, $150 for two, $200 for three or more, per month. This gives me access any classes they offer, which is currently two 1.25 hour classes and one 1 hour class. I think the kids' classes are all an hour.

- Did you notice I said "recommends"? That's because my dojo is donation-based. Because knowledge should be shared with all, there's just an earthenware jar that you can put money into, or not, as you feel led. This is wonderful because you don't have to committ, in blood, to a year's worth of monthly payments in order to see if your kid is invested : )

Bethany

My 11 y/o daughter takes judo classes (although he actually mixes in a couple of other martial arts, too) once a week for an hour long class and I pay $25.00 a month. Any subsequent kids I signed up would go down $5.00 a month each (so $25 first kid, $20 second, $15 third and so on). They even recently started an 'advanced' class and moved my daughter into it along with a few other kids who had been there for quite some time and are older and so on and didn't raise the price for it or anything. It's a great deal as far as I'm concerned!

Judo: Our club's fees are $15/month for one kid or $30/family. Belt testing is $5. Classes are 2X/week--1 hour for juniors, 1.5 hours for advanced juniors $ seniors. This is cheap.

My friend's club, which is more in line with normal pricing, is over $50--I want to say it costs $75 for the first student/month, and there is a small discount for each additional family member. I don't know what he charges for belt testing.

In addition to club fees, if you want to participate in tournaments you have to get a USA Judo card that's good for a year (I don't remember cost), and tournament fees, which now seem to be $30 & up per competitor.

Edited by JudoMom

I wish I lived where some of you do. We looked into martial arts for my son. Around here it's around $169/month IF you commit to at least 6 months, $149/month if you commit to a whole year. At his age, he could do 2 classes a week for that price. It's only a 10% discount for the second kid so if both my little guys wanted to do it, that's a lot more money each month than we are ready to pay right now.

$15/month per child 2x/week classes. Belt testing is $5 if the child is getting a new belt and nothing if the test is just for a stripe. Tournaments are more, but my kids haven't participated in one yet. There is no contract or anything like that. I did one of those expensive "black belt clubs" when my ds was little. It was ridiculously expensive. I'd never do one again.

We pay $50 a month per kid for unlimited classes, but we go twice a week. Our studio charges more now, but we were grandfathered as we followed him from the community school setting. Belt testing in $25. And for $10 a month parents can use the gym equipment-elipticals, treadmills, bikes, weights, etc. Oh, we're in taekwondo.

DD studies Tang Soo Do. We pay about $160/month. We have the option of up to 5 classes a week, but currently she only attends 3x a week. Classes are an hour long each. We paid $25 for her Dobok (uniform). We haven't paid anything for testing and dd has had 3 color belt advances and numerous testings for stripes.

What does that payment give you access to as in number and length of classes/lessons?

Thank you!

Ds takes Shotokan Karate. We pay $125 a month for unlimited classes. Classes are 45-minutes each and are given 6 days a week. Ds would usually take 3-5 classes in a 7-day period.

The only other charge was for $30 for the belt test, which is every 2-3 months (if you knew the moves, had the technique down, was recommended, and took at least 30 classes between belts). Oh and we paid $100 for the tournament-quality sparring gear. The ghee and patches were free.

Taekwondo

$90 per month

With that fee, she can take as many classes as she wants from what the school offers, which is more than she would ever want to take. She attends a minimum of four days per week, and sometimes as many as six when she is preparing for a test or a demo. Occasionally she will even take more than one class per day, but not very often. The classes include not only general instruction by belt level (she has her black belt, so she attends classes designed for red and black belt students) but also some specialized stuff like the demo team and weapons classes.

Yes, none of that is included. Belt tests vary by levels. I think they generally start around $30 or $40 and go up to $100 at the higher color levels. Black belt tests, though, are incredibly expensive! Her first degree black belt test was $500, and second degree will be $600. Luckily there is a minimum of a year between the two, and probably longer in her case because she's not interested in rushing, so that gives us some time to save up!

There's also uniforms (which she outgrows at an unbelievable rate) and tournament entry fees if you chose to participate. It definitely adds up. But it's also worth it. I'm really glad that she does it.

EDIT: I should add that we joined this school when it was small, struggling, and virtually unknown, with only 15-20 students. The owner "locked" us in at that $90 per month rate. Now that the school is bigger (well over 100 students) and more successful, I am sure he is charging more for new people joining. I'm grateful that he keeps us at that rate! We get a lot of good quality instruction for that amount of money.

Edited by GretaLynne

Thank you!

We pay about $70 per month, per child. Fourth child is free. This allows us to attend as many classes as we can get to.

Color belt testing is $40. I think black belt testing is about $150. Our dojang is very good and very well run. The students usually place very well in Westerns and Nationals. Two of our teens qualified for worlds last year and dd (2nd degree black belt) is working hard towards the possibility of competing in worlds.

Based on this thread I am paying way too much, although I think it is fairly typical for this area.

Ds6 is in a Tae Kwan Do program for younger kids. You have to sign up for a long term, minimum was 32 weeks. In that time he can take 30 classes at either 1-2 a week. It was $799 for the 32 weeks, which ends up being about $26 a class. It's a little cheaper if you sign up for the whole year.

He did the trial program and really loves it and my parents were willing to pay. Otherwise, I don't think we'd do it. I'd like to find somewhere where we could just do it on a month to month basis or maybe by semester instead of having to sign on long term. My older son would like to start and at his age they require twice a week and you must pay for a year. I have held him off because of that.

DD15 did TKD for a long time. It was $105/mo. She could go six days a week. Testing was $50.

DS 8 is taking Judo now. It is $75/mo. He can go to four classes a week. Three of them are 1 hour classes. The Saturday class is an hour and a half. Testing is also $50.

We study a MMA curriculum. A bit of everything.

We pay $300 a month - that is for four of us. (We're really into it!)

You can pay less, but we pay for a more involved path of study where we can take unlimited classes each week. We are there 5 days a week. :001_smile: The boys participate in a demo team, weapons classes, and flip kicks classes, my daughter take Tai Chi, I take Tai Chi, am on a women's demo team, and take sparring and grappling classes on top of just the two day a week "regular" classes the boys and I do. We are also starting competition classes.

Gear can add up, especially when my boys are growing like weeds! Sigh... Some of the families are exchanging gear as they outgrow it, and that helps a lot. Full gear for sparring can run about $230. Testing fees range from $20-$40 for under belts, and black belt testing is $300. Uniforms range from $30-$70.

It is A LOT of money, but I can say honestly it has been worth every penny for our family. The boys and I are really into it - it isn't just a hobby for them, it is their passion. For me, it has been such a blessing. As a SAHM, I felt like I had only short term goals (clean the kitchen, fix dinner, do laundry, lather, rinse, repeat) or really, really long term goals (raise responsible, godly adults). Martial arts has given me back that drive to accomplish goals, and I am in much better shape than I've been in in a loooooong time. Plus I walk around the Walmart parking lot at night like I'm all that and a bag of chips. :lol:

I would have a hard time paying as much as we do if they just "sort of" liked it. :001_smile:

We pay $99/month for dd 10 for up to 5 classes per week (45 min each).

For ds9 we pay $69/month for up to 4 classes per week (45 min each). Belt testing is another $35-$100 every 3 to six months per child. When my youngest starts again we'll pay around $40 for her. There is a discount for each person after the first. The 4th person and any after are free.

Kelly

Thank you for all the replies! The big place people go around here is $29 per week for unlimited classes and $45 for belt testing every 3-4 months I'm told (with a year commitment). That seemed pretty high for our area, which is pretty low cost-of-living.

The local recreation commission does a 40 minute once a week class for $41 a month, but I'm not sure what other costs may be involved.