Menu

A lot of my p.s. friends take their kids out. . .

during the school year for vacations. They will choose to go somewhere for the spring break but will also add on another week of vacation. Or they will go to Disneyland during off peak times instead of spring break. (I have no problem with what they choose to do, btw.) I'm just wondering, because I see posts about how some districts will fine parents or otherwise pose consequences for being absent even if it is for too much illness. Is this just a sign of things being more lax here in our school district?

I don't know what school they are at but my oldest who goes to ps is horrible about a kid missing. If they are sick they want a note from a doc. No note non exused you do not get a chance to make up work. Any other kind of miss they "approve" it or not. My daughter had visit with her out of state dad and they really made it clear since I had no court papers to show them it would not be exused any work would not get made up.

The schools in our district are very accommodating, as long as you let the teachers (each one, individually) know ahead of time and get all assignments ahead of time -- even COMPLETING some assignments ahead of time. If there is something special to make up like a lab or a test, the student is responsible for making arrangements to get it done (come in before school, during a lunch hour, etc.). I think that's reasonable, and it really hasn't been a problem.

Yup, an excused absence requires a doctor's note or immediate family death. Too many unexcused absences in one year - here, it's 3 days max, and you are considered truant and will be referred to the school board, district attorney, probation officer and/or juvenile court.

One of the major reasons we homeschool (and I was homeschooled).

Three??? Wow! Here it is 10!

Susan

We live in a tourist destination. Many parents work in the tourist industry and absolutely can't get time off during school holidays because that's when all the tourists are here. The school has had to be accommodating for the sake of the parents. They allow up to 10 days off of classes as long as it doesn't conflict with any standardized testing or anything. You do have to contact them ahead of time to get permission. And if you take too much time off, they can fine you. But they've been very accommodating with us.

The schools here allow 20 absences before a child is held back (though that is only the threat, it can be appealed). My kids are in school this year because my custody agreement requires it but each has missed over 10 days between vacations and illness and there hasn't been a problem.

Interesting. I just looked up the truancy laws for our state. It says that you are considered truant if there are more than 7 unexcused absences in one month, or more than 10 unexcused absences in the entire year.

This is a new law this year though. It was created to free up some state education dollars that legislators felt were wasted paying for students who were presumed to have dropped out. This law may actually change the way districts in WA enforce attendance, but since it is still new, we don't know how it will shake out yet.

This is a new law this year though. It was created to free up some state education dollars that legislators felt were wasted paying for students who were presumed to have dropped out. This law may actually change the way districts in WA enforce attendance, but since it is still new, we don't know how it will shake out yet.

It will be interesting to see if my friends will be able to continue doing things this way, then.

Yup, an excused absence requires a doctor's note or immediate family death. Too many unexcused absences in one year - here, it's 3 days max, and you are considered truant and will be referred to the school board, district attorney, probation officer and/or juvenile court.

:001_huh: That's crazy! I bet the same schools that have this unreasonable policy have strict rules against coming to school sick, too.

I believe our district allows up to 10 personal days off. They are excused if you notify the school before hand. You can get homework ahead of time if you will be gone at least 3 days.

I know growing up my parents only pulled us out once for 1 week (6th grade) to take a trip back east to visit my great grandmother. It was a huge deal and I remember lugging all my books with me.

It's ten days here. Both of my girls are riding the line due to severe allergy, sinus and upper respritory problems. Plus one had shingles and conjunctivitis and an infected insect bite. They have made up their work and both are carrying A's in their classes and have drs. notes for most illness but I am still worried about if they miss any more days in the next month. We definitely try not to miss any days voluntarily.

I'm always amazed when I read articles about strict truancy policies and students facing huge consequences for missing only a few days of school. This is our 8th year having kids in public schools and I've never had anyone say anything to me about how much time they miss. Most years we've taken a one-week trip at some point during the year, along with several weekend trips that cause them to miss Friday, Monday or both. When my oldest was in first grade, we took him out for three weeks to take him along to a conference in South Africa. We've always informed the teacher a few weeks before going, she's assigned homework for the trip and it's never been an issue.

Most schools are funded on a per diem basis. So absenteeism can have a serious impact on a school's budget. Our little elementary school lost more than $100,000 last year due to absenteeism. At a time when school budgets have already been severly cut (here anyway) Principals and schools just can't afford the loss of essential funding. So they just can be as relaxed about it as they used to be. Not to mention that absenteeism undermines the mission of education.

Bill

The schools here don't love it, but we did it last year and it wasn't a problem. However, our district is not paid by attendance. (Well, it's actually a complicated formula and absenteeism does figure into it, but they aren't dinged 100% for each child absent each day.) One teacher acted all concerned about ds1 getting behind because we extended spring break by 4 days to go to Costa Rica, but it was a nonissue. :glare:

They will be in school this upcoming year, and we absolutely plan on taking them out for vacations. I don't do Disney during school holidays. :)

:001_huh: That's crazy! I bet the same schools that have this unreasonable policy have strict rules against coming to school sick, too.

I'm curious now, if this is true. Any data on that? I'll keep my thoughts to myself but I do wonder...

No. My sisters do it all of the time. It's only an issue if students become truant with too many absences that surpass the allotted amount.

Susan

Here as long as they hear from a parent that they have kept or are keeping their child out of school then it only becomes an issue if they miss 15 or more days in a semester. If there is no word from a parent then it is unexcused and the child can be disciplined, because it's assumed they skipped school. You will get a warning letter from the school if you get close to the 15 mark.

ETA: the school district we are in now has an automated attendance hotline and it doesn't even ask for a reason, just students name, the date, and your relationship to the student.

Edited by akmommy

I don't know what school they are at but my oldest who goes to ps is horrible about a kid missing. If they are sick they want a note from a doc. No note non exused you do not get a chance to make up work. Any other kind of miss they "approve" it or not. My daughter had visit with her out of state dad and they really made it clear since I had no court papers to show them it would not be exused any work would not get made up.

They are forgetting that they work for you. They are forgetting who the authority over the child is. I would put up w that nonsensr for about two seconds. Grrrrrr.

during the school year for vacations. They will choose to go somewhere for the spring break but will also add on another week of vacation. Or they will go to Disneyland during off peak times instead of spring break. (I have no problem with what they choose to do, btw.) I'm just wondering, because I see posts about how some districts will fine parents or otherwise pose consequences for being absent even if it is for too much illness. Is this just a sign of things being more lax here in our school district?

Well, at my school you cannot have more than 20 absences total for the year (including illness, vacation, etc) or you will be held back. This does not include an extended illness like mono, etc.

You can fill out a form ahead of time for an "educational opportunity". I used to do it for my special ed son and list all the educational benefits of our beach vacation - including nature walks on the beach. :)

Then, it is excused and they are allowed to make up all of their work either ahead or after the trip.

I don't know what the state law is, but here the rule is:

4 unexcused in (not sure the time period. I want to say it was six weeks but we were dinged on a semester)

10 unexcused for the year

17 any kind of absence.

We got a letter in January for my youngest (age THREE). We had documentation for all but one absence and had given every bit of it to the Head Start office. March 1st was going to be his 18th absence and I was very concerned. He *had* to go to that doctor appointment in order for me to 1) meet foster care requirements and 2) adopt him! There as NO WAY he was going to miss it! We found out that we didn't have to meet the 17 day thing since he was under Kindergarten. We do have to meet the 4 and 10 day ones though. I just make sure *I* give documentation to everyone now.

I do know they are strict about it for school-aged kids. A friend of mine's daughter missed school due to weather at her father's house. That school district didn't have school, but our school district expected them to risk accidents in order to bring her back to go to school. RIDICULOUS. Mom ended up paying a $250 fine.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Three??? Wow! Here it is 10!

Susan

It's 10 here, too, for parental prerogative. Otherwise you have to have a note from someone else (i.e. your doctor). I find the concept that someone else would allot my kids' time off, and only be ok with exceptions from other people, presumably higher up the foodchain than a lowly parent, irksome.

I don't have kids in school, but my dd15's best friend is with her at our state capitol this weekend at Youth in Government. They are on a team that is sponsored by a local environmental/charitable organization. Her high school also sponsors a team or two, but she is on the other team. (This is NOT a competitive activity.)

When she gave advance notice to her school's office about missing Friday for YiG (it begins that morning), they didn't want to excuse it, saying, "Since you aren't on *our* team, you aren't doing anything for *us*, so it's not excused."

I wish I'd been there to say, "I think you're confused. The purpose of the school is to serve the needs of the student. Not the other way around!"

FWIW, last year, the first time the girls did YiG, was this girls first absence from school FOR ANY REASON in five years. I am pretty sure this year was her second.

I think these issues all boil down to that problem: putting the needs of the school ahead of the best interest of the individual child.

Most schools are funded on a per diem basis. So absenteeism can have a serious impact on a school's budget. Our little elementary school lost more than $100,000 last year due to absenteeism. At a time when school budgets have already been severly cut (here anyway) Principals and schools just can't afford the loss of essential funding. So they just can be as relaxed about it as they used to be. Not to mention that absenteeism undermines the mission of education.

Yes- can you imaging trying to teach a group of kids when they are all taking days off at random times? What a nightmare! Especially if the child is having trouble in math.

I used to take my kids out of school when they were younger for random reasons, but as they get older they don't want to miss, because they will miss important information.

In my school district, they do threaten to report you to the truant officer if you miss more than 10 days (for any reason, excused or not) in the school year. But there is only one truant officer in the entire school district, so she's not going to go far in an investigation of a good student who took extra vacations.

I have a friend who is a principal of a middle school, she said she had a girl who didn't show up for school for over a month, mom kept calling her in sick. Finally the girl's locker partner explained that the girl had a new sibling, and mom was making her stay home to baby sit. I think that's what the truant officer is actually for.

I do agree that schools are trying to take too much authority from parents though. Don't even get me started on all the "zero tolerance" nonsense.

The ps here allows 10 excused absences per semester. If they go past 10, then they have to take an End of Course exam and it counts for 50% of their grade.

We have taken my son out for a week (5 school days) at least once a year. We give the teachers plenty of notice. This year, at the high school, I had to talk to the Dean and write him an email explaining our trip to Disney for the marathon - and he forwarded that on to each teacher. The teachers were great about giving my ds as much as they could to do before he came back.

Of course, he's a straight A student who rarely gets sick. If he was not doing so well in school, I don't know if I'd be so willing to take him out. A week of high school (in mostly honors classes) is actually quite a lot of work, with labs and tests that are hard to make up.

There's a wide variation. Ex took ds out of school for Disney in elementary, and they didn't bat an eye. His high school next year takes course credit away after 14 days (7 for semester courses) even WITH dr. notes.

Many states have laws requiring x hours of seat time for high school credit. That could be why there is a discrepancy between elementary and high school. There is probably a way around the seat time, but I am sure it requires lots of paperwork.

Here they have a total of 18 days they can miss. If they miss more than 18, they may have to go to summer school to make up the days. If most of the days are "excused" then they will factor that in to the decision as to whether they have to go to summer school or not. In other words, if there is a parent note (illness) or dr. note for the days missed then they will not have to make them up. All work can be made up, regardless of the reason for the absence.

The district we lived in from '06-'09 charged parents something like $50 per day because they were losing daily attendance money from the state.

I've always thought that schools should not have preset vacation weeks with the exception of Thanksgiving and the week between Christmas & New Year's. Then the other however many vacation days should be a "bank" that the individual family can use whenever they wish.

Most districts will have the families sign an independant study contract for the length of time they will be gone. The teacher sends homework for the days missed ahead of time and as long as you child turns in the work when returning they are not marked absent. Setting up a trip before hand is not the same as just not showing up. To get a contract you have to be missing 5 days of school as well. I've used independant study plans for trips with our kids in 4 different districts and never had a problem.

I've used this with our daughter many times. When I was in school I never went during October. I was signed out of the month and did the work while we traveled the country. It was an amazing experience.