Menu

Suggestions please - protein for breakfast but not eggs

Possum needs to have protein with every meal. We are not a big meat family but i'm trying. I am really struggling with good breakfast options. He won't eat eggs in any eggy form but will have them in a muffin. So far i've been doing baked goods with quinoa & egg in them. BUT i can't have him eat muffins etc for breakfast every morning as we are dealing with feeding problems too and don't want to set up a food JAG :confused:

Possum is also gluten free and dairy free. Does the Hive have any ideas for me?

Well I guess I would let go of any idea of trying to feed "breakfast" foods for breakfast and instead focus on whatever protein sources he will eat. So what if it's not traditional "breakfast" foods. So maybe try leftover whatever protein he ate for supper the night before so you have something easy for breakfast.

I can't eat eggs on an empty stomach or I get sick to my stomach. However I can eat them just fine at suppertime. No idea why but this was true even as a little kid. I like the taste of eggs but I can only eat them later in the day. So I always eat leftovers for breakfast. This morning was chicken curry, yesterday it was a hamburger patty, etc. I just don't limit myself to breakfast foods (although going out to eat for breakfast is hard because I can't do greasy foods or carbs for breakfast either).

I would think a piece of chicken could go nicely with anything else you might be offering but certainly anything else could be used too.

Cashews, Almonds.

I make my kids fonio cereal or buckwheat cereal and put some hemp hearts or chia seeds in there. I will give them a piece of roast beef from dinnertime on the side.

Oh, and chocolate- definately chocolate. Oh wait, I forgot, that is my breakfast.

Edited by Hope in God

Well I guess I would let go of any idea of trying to feed "breakfast" foods for breakfast and instead focus on whatever protein sources he will eat. So what if it's not traditional "breakfast" foods. So maybe try leftover whatever protein he ate for supper the night before so you have something easy for breakfast.

I can't eat eggs on an empty stomach or I get sick to my stomach. However I can eat them just fine at suppertime. No idea why but this was true even as a little kid. I like the taste of eggs but I can only eat them later in the day. So I always eat leftovers for breakfast. This morning was chicken curry, yesterday it was a hamburger patty, etc. I just don't limit myself to breakfast foods (although going out to eat for breakfast is hard because I can't do greasy foods or carbs for breakfast either).

I would think a piece of chicken could go nicely with anything else you might be offering but certainly anything else could be used too.

:iagree:

I don't eat breakfast food, don't like it, and I can't remember ever liking it. I would get sick if I ate too heavily. I liked chicken noodle soup or cream of tomato (campbell's). Like curriculum, the best food is the one that gets eaten:D

The dairy free I am not used to, but I am gluten free. Is there a type of quesadilla you could make? Maybe a dairy free cheese with bacon and chicken? What about egg fried rice (or would he notice the egg?) I have that a few mornings a week. A smoothie? (adding a protein powder (not soy or whey...))

This might sound gross, but one of my favorites is smush (I started this in college) smash (gluten free) chicken, sweetcorn and gluten free gravy. Mix it all together into smash. I add cheese on top, but you probably want to skip that.

Edited by Northwest_Mama
really bad spelling errors!

Not sure if this would work with gluten free and dairy free, but could you do smoothies with protein powder added? I've done those before and they worked well.

My son drinks a protein-spiked smoothie pretty much every morning (except days like today when I am out of frozen berries and he is irritable with me).

You'd have to do some research to find one that you can verify is gluten free, but the ones we use are dairy free. So, I know that's easy.

Someone else mentioned peanut butter, which might also be a good idea, as long as you can find something to spread it on that isn't gluten.

Oatmeal has a surprising amount of protein, especially if you cook it in a non-dairy milk like soy. I often eat mine with a sprinkling of nuts on top to boost the protein content. (It also provides a yummy crunch.) When my kids were little, I used to stir a big spoonful of some kind of nut butter into their oatmeal, too.

We use a recipe for a delicious brioche that is packed with eggs...and is very easy to make, in case he likes bread.

Will he eat french toast?

I also have a recipe for energy bars that have peanut butter, nuts, etc. in them.

Sometimes we eat soup for breakfast (easy to have meat and beans in this). I have a beef and pepperoni soup recipe and a lentil sausage soup recipe most kids like.

I have a cookbook that was specifically written by the author for the sole purpose of getting more protein into breakfast foods. Here is a link to it....Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe cookbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Mollie-Katzens-Sunlight-Classic-Cooking/dp/0786862696/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334804657&sr=1-1-spell

Let me know if you would like any of the recipes! ;)

I'd play with a basic hummus or falafel recipe until I found a flavor combination that pleases him. You can make these as bland or savory as you like and invent your own falafel breakfast patties. Maybe google recipes for ful and see if you can sell him on that? Or some sort of breakfasty fried rice concoction? Maybe brown rice, chicken, and almonds?

Protein powder can be added to just about anything.

Canned beans, either alone, with rice, or in soup. One of my kids eats soup for breakfast quite a bit, and dump soup is cheap and easy to make (dump a can of broth, a can of beans, and can of veggies into the pot; vary according to what you have on hand, like frozen or leftover veggies, canned or leftover chicken, etc). She likes pasta in hers if that works for him.

Chicken breasts - easy to pre-cook a bunch and freeze, nice mild flavor and smell for those who are sensitive in the morning.

You can buy high protein breakfast bars for lazy mornings.

If he's only 1, I'd check with the doctor before trying peanut butter, especially if he's allergy prone. If he can have it, my kids eat it on lots of non-bread stuff: apples, celery, cereal, spoons :D

Here are my best protein-y breakfast ideas:

Smoothies with some kind of protein powder in them (hemp, pea, pumpkin, soy, egg, rice, etc.)

Nut butter in/on something--I put a scoop of nut butter in my quinoa in the morning

Do you keep the blender out on the counter? Any tricks or tips for cleaning it? Mine's a pain to drag out, clean and put away.

We are gluten free and have been dairy free for years(recently have introduced some but not for breakfast)

our b-fasts-

muffins- coconut and almond flour- high in protein- I use honey to sweeten and always reduce it- pumpkin is the favorite around here- I like blueberry as well

sausages (homemade mixed from ground pork) and hashbrowns(homemade as well- I just shred potatoes)

pancakes- almond flour, apple(grated apple juiced- cinnamon and eggs), baked Dutch apple baby pancakes

porridge (Gf bob's red mill mighty tasty and in the past we've done some GF oats)- w/or without sausage

I nearly always eat eggs myself but the dc's like porridge a lot as well. On weekends I usually do pancakes or such one day and dh loves egg sausage biscuits (biscuits made w/ almond flour although you could do gf Bisquik or such as well)

Coconut milk smoothies. My favorite is 1 cup of coconut milk, 1 banana, 4 or 5 strawberries, some blueberries, one egg, one tablespoon of honey, and one tablespoon of flax seed. That's really enough for two adults, but you can freeze the extra and put it in the fridge the night before to thaw.

I make a kind of peanut butter granola bars with oatmeal, almond flour, peanut butter, honey, oil. You can add chocolate chips but they get overwhelmed by the peanut butter so I usually don't bother.

You can also make fruit muffins (pear, apple) with 1/4 almond flour. Its beautiful, fluffy but with a kick of nut protein and egg. If that's not enough throw in some soy (TVP-texturized vegetable protein, tofu). I made mine with butter, but I think you could sub oil for that. I haven't tried it.

Do you keep the blender out on the counter? Any tricks or tips for cleaning it? Mine's a pain to drag out, clean and put away.

I have a vitamix that is used often. Usually some or all is kept on the counter unless I am super cleaning then it all gets put away. After using I spray down the inside and if it is really messy I will add water and a drop of soap and blend on high for a minute. Comes clean. The lid and stamper usually get thrown in the dishwasher.

I can't eat eggs or milk so I make a protein smoothie with pea protein powder.

Also have you seen the "bean pancakes/waffles" that are made from garbanzo beans & eggs? Gluten free, high protein, tasty. :)

1 tin garbanzo beans

3 eggs

sweetener to taste

1/4 t cinnamon

2 T oil

Mix it all up with a stick blender {or in the blender} and cook as normal. Before the egg issue was found I use to top mine {sometimes} with slices of tomato & bacon.

You can make muffins with the tins of beans too. I tried a lemon poppy seed version & my guys never knew the difference. ;) Mind you, they are pretty use to me making "weird" {aka secret ingredient} food.

You can also make normal oat porridge & mix in an egg after it's cooked. It gives it a thick custard type feel/taste. It boosts the protein content & is, honestly, quite filling & yummy.

I can't eat eggs or milk so I make a protein smoothie with pea protein powder.

Also have you seen the "bean pancakes/waffles" that are made from garbanzo beans & eggs? Gluten free, high protein, tasty. :)

1 tin garbanzo beans

3 eggs

sweetener to taste

1/4 t cinnamon

2 T oil

Mix it all up with a stick blender {or in the blender} and cook as normal. Before the egg issue was found I use to top mine {sometimes} with slices of tomato & bacon.

You can make muffins with the tins of beans too. I tried a lemon poppy seed version & my guys never knew the difference. ;) Mind you, they are pretty use to me making "weird" {aka secret ingredient} food.

You can also make normal oat porridge & mix in an egg after it's cooked. It gives it a thick custard type feel/taste. It boosts the protein content & is, honestly, quite filling & yummy.

I will have to give the bean pancakes a try, i think they might work for him, thanks :)

Bean & rice with some steamed veggies on the high chair tray, thinnned nut butter on bits of fruit, veggies, or gluten-free bread. Small cut up pieces of avocado with small chunks of sweet potato or soft bits of pear, leftover dinner, meat and lettice rollups, cut or shredded. Gtuten-free french toast. Oatmeal with ground flax seed. Stir fry veggies with small bits of lightly grilled pieces of tofu. Small bit of broc florets tossed in the skillet with coconut or olvie oil. Small rice cake pieces with a little slather of almond butter. Gluten free mac & cheese. Hummus with cooked bits of carrots or other veggies. Would she like sliced red bell peppers. Kale chips or toasted nori with rice and bits of tuna. Does she maybe like the white parts of hardboiled eggs, but not the yolk? Would she eat eggs cut up in small chunks on her tray with some other items mixed in? My sil makes a delicious chicken soup in which she swirls in egg whites. She makes it with rice, chicken, carrots, celery etc. Nothing fancy. I would drain out a lot of the broth and give it to my kids as a stew. They loved it. They still love it. lol Can you do gluten free small pasta with a nut dressing?

Edited by LibraryLover

Since most oats are not gluten free, I do mock oatmeal.

1 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

4 tbsp almond butter

Heat and stir until almond butter is well blended and it is warm. I like to throw in some walnuts and let it cook a bit. Season with cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg. I even make up a bunch and reheat through the week.

One more but not sure if a 18mo can eat it. Cut a pound of bacon into bite size pieces, cut up an onion, and some apple. Fry in a skillet until it's all done to your desired tenderness or crispness. I LOVE THIS ONE. Can use peaches, but add them later since they cook quicker.

Edited by mothergooseofthree