Menu

Protestants: What do you do for St. Patrick's Day?

We are protestant, and my dc are all wearing green today. I told them that St. Patrick was kidnapped and made a slave in Ireland, and after he returned home he decided (after several years) to go back to Ireland as a missionary. Does it really matter that he was Catholic? He was telling people about Christ and trying to eliminate paganism. But then again, Protestants are "supposed" to wear orange on St. Patrick's Day. That feels like taking sides though.

Just wondering what other Protestants are doing today. I was reading some old threads about what Catholics/Irish do on St. Patrick's Day, and a lot of the traditions sound like fun! I grew up simply wearing green, and then in high school I was told that I should actually be wearing orange. [i was not told the reason for wearing orange back in high school, and today I've learned that it's about Irish politics. So, even though I am protestant, I am NOT wearing orange today. We are wearing green to celebrate the life of a man who followed God's call and told countless people about Him. Just wanted to update this in case someone doesn't read all the replies!]

Edited by lotsofpumpkins
  • Like 2

We are Episcopalian and some say neither Catholic nor Protestant, but that's debatable. :D

We wear green and have a St. Pat's dinner of cabbage, corned beef and potatoes at church.

Wearing orange just seems mean to me. In light of all the carp between Catholics and Protestants in N. Ireland, I mean.

• Like 1

IIRC, orange is often used to signify triumph over Catholics. I wouldn't wear it on St. Patrick's Day just because of Protestantism (but then I'm not Protestant). St. Patrick was a Christian; he lived long before the schism between Catholics and Protestants. That means he was a Catholic, but so was everybody else.

We wear green, have a nice fancy 'Irish' dinner, and watch the Secret of Roan Inish.

Edited by dangermom
  • Like 1

I don't know what Protestants do, but as a Catholic, I get tired of the constant glossing over of the fact that he was Catholic. I once read a children's book about St. Patrick that I picked up in the library of a Bible Church our homeschool group met at, out of curiosity, and was appalled. The author made it sound like St. Patrick was practically in open rebellion against the Catholic Church!

So, as a Catholic with a lot of Irish blood, I welcome you to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! Just please acknowledge that he was actually Catholic, A Catholic who brought Christianity to the Irish people, and we'll all be happy, right? :D

I have never heard of the orange thing either. That sounds terrible. I am not in any way a protestant who has any issues with the Catholic church though. My church's history starts with the Catholic church. That includes St. Patrick. I embrace that heritage.

So we are protestant, and we are marching in the St. Patrick's day parade today in a couple of hours! We are wearing green. My mom used to go all out and do green food for our meals too.

I have never heard of the orange thing either. That sounds terrible. I am not in any way a protestant who has any issues with the Catholic church though. My church's history starts with the Catholic church. That includes St. Patrick. I embrace that heritage.

BTW - my mom was NOT a student of history. She probably had no idea why protestants wear orange..... She just said that if we weren't Catholic, we shouldn't wear green.

I believe the orange has to do with the politics in N. Ireland and the conflicts between Catholics and Protestants in Ireland, which really is not about religion at all but Irish independence vs loyalty to the British. I would not wear orange.

http://www.intheagora.com/archives/2008/03/wearing_orange_on_st_patricks_day_go_ahead_and_pinch_me/

We are a non-religious family. DH's side is lapsed Catholic. My side has Irish connections (Catholic) but there was an excommunication along the way so I was raised Protestant but do not observe either type of churchgoing. St. Patrick's Day for us is Guinness, Irish whiskey, corned beef, cabbage and silliness.

So, as a Catholic with a lot of Irish blood, I welcome you to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! Just please acknowledge that he was actually Catholic, A Catholic who brought Christianity to the Irish people, and we'll all be happy, right? :D

I have no problem acknowledging that he was Catholic. The important thing is that he was a Christian, first and foremost. Whether he was Catholic or Protestant does not matter to me. :)

I don't recall the orange thing. It would not surprise me if my Lutheran school would have encouraged this when I was a kid, but I honestly do not remember. I rather think people wore green if anything. But we did not learn about St. Patrick (or any of the saints who were not mentioned in the Bible) in school.

My kids attend KG at a daycare center where the owner is Christian. I do not know if she's Catholic, but she is openly Christian and she tells parents that they can pound salt if they don't like it. The school teaches about St. Nicholas and St. Patrick and they might have covered St. Valentine too. They also had a whole unit on Punxatawny Phil, which I found somewhat disappointing, but whatever.

Personally I do not push "St. Patrick's Day," but if I remember, I'll wear green just to go along with the festive atmosphere. I guess if we "gave stuff up for Lent," it would be more important to us. As the kids get older, I think it's good for them to learn what is being celebrated, even if they don't hold the same beliefs about "saints" as Catholics do. I feel the same way about non-Christian celebrations.

Question from a never-been-Christian:

At soccer last week we were talking about something completely unrelated to St. Patrick's day, but the issue of one mom's ethnic heritage (Irish) came up in conversation. She said that her parents always strongly emphasized that they were Orange Men, not Green Men.

I recognized the reference to the Irish flag, but had no clue what this meant on a deeper level. Everyone else seemed to understand and there wasn't really an opportunity for me to interject to ask for clarification (the game was on-going, so we were talking in between spurts of cheers and yelling at our kids LOL).

Is this what she meant? Green = Catholic, Orange = Protestant?

I believe the orange has to do with the politics in N. Ireland and the conflicts between Catholics and Protestants in Ireland, which really is not about religion at all but Irish independence vs loyalty to the British. I would not wear orange.

http://www.intheagora.com/archives/2008/03/wearing_orange_on_st_patricks_day_go_ahead_and_pinch_me/

Ah, thanks for the link.

Cheers! (I've brought the Jameson, and it's nearly noon :D!)

Thanks for that link. I like this quote:

Patrick did most of his work in the 5th century at a time when Christians were simply Christians, long before any division between Roman Catholics and Protestants.

• Like 2

I do not understand why some consider it important whether or not St. Patrick was a Catholic? I mean, the Catholics do the "saint" thing and the Protestants don't, but did you have to be Catholic to be a saint? What about Orthodox Christians or Christians from before the split? Was Saint Mary also Catholic?? I don't mean to be rude, just really curious. Obviously my lack of saint knowledge is showing.

Do you think that God cares whether St. Patrick was or wasn't a Catholic? And if not, why should I care?

Question from a never-been-Christian:

At soccer last week we were talking about something completely unrelated to St. Patrick's day, but the issue of one mom's ethnic heritage (Irish) came up in conversation. She said that her parents always strongly emphasized that they were Orange Men, not Green Men.

I recognized the reference to the Irish flag, but had no clue what this meant on a deeper level. Everyone else seemed to understand and there wasn't really an opportunity for me to interject to ask for clarification (the game was on-going, so we were talking in between spurts of cheers and yelling at our kids LOL).

Is this what she meant? Green = Catholic, Orange = Protestant?

Yes, that's what she meant. If you read up more on the history it all starts to make sense. It's quite political though. We need to remember that the most important thing is being a Christian (having a personal relationship with Christ), whether Catholic or Protestant.

We are protestant, and my dc are all wearing green today. I told them that St. Patrick was kidnapped and made a slave in Ireland, and after he returned home he decided (after several years) to go back to Ireland as a missionary. Does it really matter that he was Catholic? He was telling people about Christ and trying to eliminate paganism. But then again, Protestants are "supposed" to wear orange on St. Patrick's Day. That feels like taking sides though.

Just wondering what other Protestants are doing today. I was reading some old threads about what Catholics/Irish do on St. Patrick's Day, and a lot of the traditions sound like fun! I grew up simply wearing green, and then in high school I was told that I should actually be wearing orange.

My dad's family came from Ulster so we wear orange. FTR- I'm for anybody telling people about Jesus, even if they don't belong to my denomination. :D

Yes, that's what she meant. If you read up more on the history it all starts to make sense. It's quite political though. We need to remember that the most important thing is being a Christian (having a personal relationship with Christ), whether Catholic or Protestant.

Looks like I'll have something to research on our next library visit ;)!

I love how random conversations IRL and random posts OL can spur these little paths to greater knowledge. This place is awesome.

I do not understand why some consider it important whether or not St. Patrick was a Catholic? I mean, the Catholics do the "saint" thing and the Protestants don't, but did you have to be Catholic to be a saint? What about Orthodox Christians or Christians from before the split? Was Saint Mary also Catholic?? I don't mean to be rude, just really curious. Obviously my lack of saint knowledge is showing.

Do you think that God cares whether St. Patrick was or wasn't a Catholic? And if not, why should I care?

Forgive me if I'm wrong about this, but don't Catholics encourage praying to saints? Protestants don't agree with this, so that's why we don't do the "saint thing". However, I do not have a problem with honoring the life of St Patrick (and others), because he did an amazing job spreading the gospel. And NO, God does not care whether St Patrick was or wasn't Catholic. He doesn't care whether or not YOU are Catholic. All He cares about is that you are trusting in Jesus alone for your salvation.

• Like 1

I came back to add - I received my own education on the "orange" during a visit to Ireland. We were in Dublin when an "Orange parade" came through. It turned out our visit was right at the beginning of "Orange Marching Season".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_walk

I believe that what I saw must have been a group marching in support of the Orange being allowed to "officially" march in Dublin, since it appears they are not currently allowed to march there ? In any case I know it is a source of political tension. According to our connections there, generally orange=protestant=loyal to UK, not to Irish nationalism.

This is old but provides more background:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2000/apr/16/northernireland.uk

Edited by laundrycrisis

Forgive me if I'm wrong about this, but don't Catholics encourage praying to saints? Protestants don't agree with this, so that's why we don't do the "saint thing". However, I do not have a problem with honoring the life of St Patrick (and others), because he did an amazing job spreading the gospel. And NO, God does not care whether St Patrick was or wasn't Catholic. He doesn't care whether or not YOU are Catholic. All He cares about is that you are trusting in Jesus alone for your salvation.

Catholics ask the saints to pray for them. The definition of a saint is someone whose life has been examined by the Catholic Church and who is declared to be in Heaven. St. Patrick did do an amazing job spreading the Gospel - the fact that I am Catholic is from him!

As for your last 3 sentences, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. :)

Historical accuracy? ;)

So how are you defining Catholic then? The Roman Catholic church did not technically exist when St. Patrick was alive. "Catholic" can also refer to more universal beliefs or the pre-schism church.

I've been sitting here typing and retyping, trying to figure out a way to say this that won't hurt anyone's feelings or get me in trouble. I'm just going to say it.

Unless you understand Irish politics, please don't wear orange on St. Patrick's day. It's not a symbol of being Protestant, it's a symbol of hate and discrimination against Catholics. I'm not saying that's what anyone here is doing on purpose, but you need to understand the history to get how hurtful and offensive that is to an Irish Catholic.

Nobody needs to wear green or celebrate the holiday or any such thing, but deliberately wearing orange is historically a partisan action.

Just sayin'.

So how are you defining Catholic then? The Roman Catholic church did not technically exist when St. Patrick was alive. "Catholic" can also refer to more universal beliefs or the pre-schism church.

Yes, it did. I believe the best source of this are the letters of St. Ignatius.

Edited by LG Gone Wild

Yes, it did. I believe the best source of this is the letters of St. Ignatius.

Well, anyhoo - I will not teach my kids that he's Roman Catholic, but will someday share with them (or make available to them) the history of the church and all that. It is not important to me to connect him (or anyone else) with one team or another when it comes to spirituality. Personally I think a more important message is that there is nobody born who cannot have a relationship with God.

Well, anyhoo - I will not teach my kids that he's Roman Catholic, but will someday share with them (or make available to them) the history of the church and all that. It is not important to me to connect him (or anyone else) with one team or another when it comes to spirituality. Personally I think a more important message is that there is nobody born who cannot have a relationship with God.

:confused:

St. Patrick was a Catholic is merely fact just as Saladin was a Muslim. History, once done, cannot be undone.

I have never heard the idea of protestants wearing orange on St. Patrick's Day.

I've never heard of it either.

I grew up Lutheran (I'm not any longer), and I have never heard of wearing orange. We always wore green just like everyone else. I always assumed the Catholic aspect because of the "Saint" before his name. ;)

Same here, except I grew up baptist.

:confused:

St. Patrick was a Catholic is merely fact just as Saladin was a Muslim. History, once done, cannot be undone.

St. Patrick was alive before the church broke into Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox. So that's why I am wondering how we're defining Catholic. There are multiple definitions.

• Like 1

I am Irish, and protestant, and St. Patrick's day is a fun day for us.

We read about the history of St. Patrick, and we talk about Ireland and the legend of leprechauns. Usually, we read a few limericks and work on our own during school time. The kids also set a 'leprechaun trap', and I leave them a scavenger hunt from the leprechaun to discover the next morning (which ends with a treat).

As far as the Catholic/not Catholic thing, I don't make it an issue.

St. Patrick was following God's call on His life to teach the people of Ireland about Jesus. That is worthy of celebrating!

• Like 1

Do Protestants do something different?

We've been learning about St. Patrick and Irish legends and traditions all week. We made paper plate leprechauns and a leprechaun trap. We made snakes, too.

The children had Lucky Charms for breakfast, and I've been dying anything I can think of green, (applesauce, milk, etc.). Tonight we're having corned beef and cabbage, and Guinness cake for dessert.

My family is wearing green, but as I have no green maternity clothes, I'm left out of that.

This is one of my favorite holidays, even though I'm not even Irish. I never thought of it as a Catholic holiday, though...the Lutheran church recognizes the commemoration of St. Patrick today. While we may not ask saints to pray for us, we do do thank God for the work He has used them to do throughout history!

We are Episcopalian and some say neither Catholic nor Protestant, but that's debatable. :D

We wear green and have a St. Pat's dinner of cabbage, corned beef and potatoes at church.

Wearing orange just seems mean to me. In light of all the carp between Catholics and Protestants in N. Ireland, I mean.

Right. It's both! ;) (to the bolded)

Isn't it the Epsicopalians that have The Breastplate of St. Patrick as a hymn? :D

We had mass today at our Episcopal church. Then we drank Irish beer afterwards at the luncheon.

I'm protestant and would have worn green if I had remembered to. I went to a [protestant] event today and a majority of the people were wearing green. It was a kids' competition-type event, and we were the green team on purpose (and won 1st place :D ).

ETA: I have heard of wearing orange, but don't see the need to.

Edited by gardening momma

I've been sitting here typing and retyping, trying to figure out a way to say this that won't hurt anyone's feelings or get me in trouble. I'm just going to say it.

Unless you understand Irish politics, please don't wear orange on St. Patrick's day. It's not a symbol of being Protestant, it's a symbol of hate and discrimination against Catholics. I'm not saying that's what anyone here is doing on purpose, but you need to understand the history to get how hurtful and offensive that is to an Irish Catholic.

Nobody needs to wear green or celebrate the holiday or any such thing, but deliberately wearing orange is historically a partisan action.

Just sayin'.

Depending where you go, the "wearing of the Orange", may be rather dangerous. I, for instance, would not recommend wearing Orange in a Republican Irish Bar in Boston or Chicago. It might not be good for your health.

The Orange harkens back to William of Orange and his war with the Jacobites. This is a highly emotional topic in Ireland and the results are still with Ireland today.

Just sayin'.

Thanks for the explanation.

Just sayin'.

Thanks for going ahead and typing this; you certainly aren't hurting my feelings. I'm so glad to finally know more about this green/orange thing, and I'm SO GLAD I didn't wear orange today.

This whole discussion has inspired me to get out dh's church history texts from seminary and learn more!

I had not associated orange with St. Patrick's day until last year when I was picking up some small items to wear on St. Patrick's day and noticed that most of the items offered had both orange and green on them. I guess those items are kind of offensive to both groups then? :confused: By the way, if I remember correctly they were sold at one of the big box stores so a very mainstream location.