Menu

His stats note note a join date of March 2009, so isn't it possible that he has been lurking for a while, gleaning from the Afterschooling board? I have been a member here for years and check in a few times a week, yet I don't post much (but I do home school). Also, I know several people who would love to home school their kids but just can't at this time. They enjoy this board and get many ideas from all of you. As for Kumon, I didn't know what it was but just went to their website:

A Kumon Program can be tailored for advanced students who need to be challenged and for students who need help catching up. Our ultimate goal is for all students to study above their grade level, so our academic enrichment program gives them ample opportunities to achieve more.

I'm just saying that his post is not implausible. Perhaps my "troll radar" is not as developed as some of yours, but I think he could have been given the benefit of the doubt, at least until there was more evidence that something was amiss.

OP, sorry I don't have advice. If it were me, I would probably wait it out tile the end of the year and also keep my eyes open for the qualities in my daughter that the teacher mentioned. It might be a learning experience for all.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to tell myself that if I could afford all those outside activities PLUS private school then I would most certainly drop all of them to become a one income family and homeschool or get a private tutor. Not possible in this situation sounds like "it's not our thing or we just don't want to." But again, why ask on a homeschooling forum about this matter? A good portion of us got sick of the crap that goes on in schools and pulled ours out to fix the situation. I guess I am just lost. The amount of things your DD does just astounds me. How about quality family time?:confused:

Oh, come on. You know you wanna. :D

No.....I really like skirts ON women!

Now I understand the Scot/Irish cultural dress issue, but unless one is a Scot or Irish or has said blood (and I do have some).......you may be wearing a skirt (call it what you will but it is still a skirt).

Seriously though (and the above is simply teasing), I take no issue with wearing a kilt, I simply have no desire to wear one. I am glad that the female denizens of this board derive pleasure from men dressed in such garb but have no desire to wear it myself.

Now the claymore or lochaber axe, those are pieces of Scottish dress that I do like.

I'm not pretending to be someone else or changing my identity. The " intelligence of hives " phrase wasn't coined here but it part of the cybernetic vernacular; glad to see it being used here though.

And you just happened to use that particular "part of the cybernetic vernacular." :rolleyes:

You're digging yourself even deeper, you know.

Now I understand the Scot/Irish cultural dress issue, but unless one is a Scot or Irish or has said blood (and I do have some).......you may be wearing a skirt (call it what you will but it is still a skirt).

Seriously though (and the above is simply teasing), I take no issue with wearing a kilt, I simply have no desire to wear one. I am glad that the female denizens of this board derive pleasure from men dressed in such garb but have no desire to wear it myself.

Now the claymore or lochaber axe, those are pieces of Scottish dress that I do like.

I couldn't find a claymore, but Amazon has a lochaber pole axe. I suppose you can wear pants and carry the axe. Although you must promise if you ever do wear a kilt, you'll post pix here. ;)

Chucki the Parrothead of the Clan Rovan

I couldn't find a claymore

A claymore is a large sword, frequently a two handed piece, think Braveheart.

Of course just one of the numerous historical fallacies of the movie was that Wallace wore a kilt, he wore armor.

A claymore is a large sword, frequently a two handed piece, think Braveheart.

Of course just one of the numerous historical fallacies of the movie was that Wallace wore a kilt, he wore armor.

They knew better...but went for eye candy for women instead ;)

Guest submarines
My sentiments exactly.

I'm also wondering if this is a new identity of someone we already "know," because let's face it, how many newbies would ever think to mention the "hive intelligence" -- or even know what "the Hive" was.

Sorry, but I'm still not buying into this one. :glare:

My Troll-o-Meter is off-the-charts right now.

Well, this person has been a member here since 2009. He could be reading the forums for inspiration for years, but posting for the first time, when he encountered an issue he wanted some feedback on.

And since the OP posted on a homeschooling forum, my advince would be to pull her out and homeschool! I personally have no patience or tolerance for people like that teacher.

Tell us why homeschooling is not an option, and we will help you figure out that it is! :tongue_smilie:

Guest submarines
Actually, I do believe it was coined here.

:confused: Nope. A common term. In psychology, for example.

As for the odd title--seems to be this is a person speaking / writing in English as a second language. There are several very typical ESL mistakes in his posts.

Edited by sunflowers

The Irish did not wear kilts! Nor are bagpipes Irish. Grrrr

(This must be emphasized what with the upcoming St. Patrick's day.)

True, but many Scots/Irish did and will claim incorrectly that this stems from being Irish. Nevertheless you are correct.

Lol, better yet, even. Then we get to see nekkid woad men with sap in their hair. They were too manly for a stinkin kilt.

I am kidding.

Edited by justamouse

Well, if you are Polynesian it might be a tupenu or lava-lava or something else. Of course, if you want to tell the giant, tattooed all over Samoan guy that he is wearing a skirt, be my guest. :lol:

"I just a dad" and "must decides" really? Thank God for tutors I guess...

On second thought, if this is for real then the poor kid must be super exhausted! I couldn't keep up with that kind of schedule at any age! What about giving her a break and letting her be a kid :)

While I know we WTMers tend to be Grammar Police, this makes me think that English may not be the native language.

However, I do agree that, if this is a legitimate post by the Original Poster (OP), your child is WAY overscheduled!

I would have to tell myself that if I could afford all those outside activities PLUS private school then I would most certainly drop all of them to become a one income family and homeschool or get a private tutor. Not possible in this situation sounds like "it's not our thing or we just don't want to." But again, why ask on a homeschooling forum about this matter? A good portion of us got sick of the crap that goes on in schools and pulled ours out to fix the situation. I guess I am just lost. The amount of things your DD does just astounds me. How about quality family time?:confused:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Do we as parents address the issue with the school principal and suffer the political fallout or should we just sit tight and hope for the best while waiting for third grade.

I would start with teaching dd to play "the school game"... if teacher doesn't want her to start her work early, then that's part of the rules. It sounds reasonable when trying to teach a class of 20-30 kids to try to keep them doing the same thing at once. If that is this teacher's only agenda, then that should solve the problem. If there is a personal problem against your child because she is working on an advanced level, then I'm not sure you'll find a solution within that school.

If you go to the principal, I don't know what the political fallout will be but what are the possible good results? Is it likely that he might say -- 'oh yes that teacher does have an agenda against advanced students and I will ask her to stop'? Probably not.

You might be able to speak to the principal about something more proactive - say asking for his help in providing more challenge for your daughter, but honestly if that were an option at this school I think they would have recognized your daughter's need and tried to provide something by now.

Gifted and/or advanced students have been dealing with this for years - a classroom is often not a good setting for them unless they are willing and able to play the game -- usually that means stifling some part of your intelligence/drive/personality in order to get along in a group setting. Although they don't put it in the brochures, this is usually necessary in a large group setting with children (and teachers) of varying abilities.

If you want more freedom, I would find a way to homeschool. Or look at schools designed for gifted children if you feel that would be a better fit for your daughter and family situation.

I have detected trolls early and often in the past -- this one I don't see folks.

I do see a dad who should have posted in the afterschooling board and perhaps been more specific about what he is looking for -- does he want ways to find more challenge for his daughter within that school setting, does he want ideas for dealing with a teacher that has it in for his daughter, does he want advice on whether homeschooling would be a good fit for his daughter, etc.

Well, no, if they live in Northern Ireland, then technically they're Irish.

Egad! No, no, they are not. They are British. Irish people live in Ireland, which is a separate country from Northern Ireland. Some Northern Irish people can have Irish citizenship, but as a whole, the population of Northern Ireland is British. Northern Ireland is part of the UK; Ireland is not.

Tara

Egad! No, no, they are not. They are British. Irish people live in Ireland, which is a separate country from Northern Ireland. Some Northern Irish people can have Irish citizenship, but as a whole, the population of Northern Ireland is British. Northern Ireland is part of the UK; Ireland is not.

Tara

:lol: Yes, OK, but as an English person, living in England, anyone living in Northern Ireland is Irish, and certainly not Scottish.

Cassy

:D

I wonder what the Irish would say? ;)

Tara

Hey, we're doing well, I think we've killed off the rest of this strange thread :D. Thinking about it, now, friends I've had who were from Northern Ireland actually described themselves as Northern Irish (I was brought up near Liverpool, so knew quite a few). Maybe Lorrainejmc can tell us :001_smile:.

Cassy

You know, with homeschool conference season coming up, I'd love to see someone start a WTM booth complete with gear: kilts, trolldar, poleaxes, beehive shaped tea cups, and that tote bag I see all the time on pinterest that says "I like big books"---I always think about buying that for my husband as a private joke about bOOks.

You know, with homeschool conference season coming up, I'd love to see someone start a WTM booth complete with gear: kilts, trolldar, poleaxes, beehive shaped tea cups, and that tote bag I see all the time on pinterest that says "I like big books"---I always think about buying that for my husband as a private joke about bOOks.

oh, great idea!

If there is a personal problem against your child because she is working on an advanced level, then I'm not sure you'll find a solution within that school.

Gifted and/or advanced students have been dealing with this for years - a classroom is often not a good setting for them unless they are willing and able to play the game -- usually that means stifling some part of your intelligence/drive/personality in order to get along in a group setting. Although they don't put it in the brochures, this is usually necessary in a large group setting with children (and teachers) of varying abilities.

I haven't decided on the "troll or not," but :iagree: with the above.

Well, yeah. Because they are Scottish.

Yeah, if you go back 300-400 hundred years. So is an American an American or does everyone identify themselves based on where their ancestors came from originally? Sorry, but you sound really snarky. Ulster Scots are not Scottish, they have Scottish ancestry. I'm Northern Irish, born here but my surname and every other family surname are of Scottish origin, but I don't identify myself as Scottish.

As for the kilt issue, there are Irish kilts and Irish bagpipes that are powered by a bellow.

Edited by lorrainejmc

Maybe it's some sort of conspiracy!!

They joined 18th March 2009 and guess what tomorrow is... 18th March 2012. (for us Aussies it is)

2009 to 2012 is 3 years.

March is the 3rd month.

What say the hive???

Yeah, if you go back 300-400 hundred years. So is an American an American or does everyone identify themselves based on where their ancestors came from originally?

Actually, with such a melting pot as we have here and have had so many areas of our country were certain ethnicities have settled as groups, yes, many of us Americans do identify with our heritage, not simply as "Americans". Dh and I are part Scot-Irish. It is important to us, just as other parts of our heritage are. We just went to "Irish Movie Night" on The Ghosts of Duffy's Cut. One of the main sponsors was the Lancaster Irish American Cultural Society. My children and I can speak some Cherokee and we love attending pow-wow. My godmothers can speak Gaelic (Irish-Gaelic). These things are important to us here. My children are involved in Greek School. No, they aren't Greek, but we are in a Greek parish and it's important to the community...and makes the yiayias very happy that we would take the time to learn to speak to them in their native tongue. The Eritreans wear their white dresses and coverings to service and speak their native tongue as well.

So, yes, the heritage of us Americans is very important to us. regardless of what our heritage is or how mixed we are. I'm an American Heinz-57 Mutt...and I love the various traits I've inherited from those segments of my heritage and the history we have.

Tara

I consider myself Northern Irish first. The same way an English person considers themselves both English and British. I will say, it's much easier and less money for me to get an Irish passport, so if the shoe fits....:lol:

We need to add this purse too. http://www.amazon.com/Smiffys-Bumblebee-Halloween-Costume-Handbag/dp/B0030CBW5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331935546&sr=8-1

419FoB2MnPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have detected trolls early and often in the past -- this one I don't see folks.

I do see a dad who should have posted in the afterschooling board and perhaps been more specific about what he is looking for -- does he want ways to find more challenge for his daughter within that school setting, does he want ideas for dealing with a teacher that has it in for his daughter, does he want advice on whether homeschooling would be a good fit for his daughter, etc.

:iagree:

I find this thread disturbing. Within just a couple of posts a person has been judged a troll. There's been no outrageous pattern of behaviour by this person (he's got a grand total of 4 posts - he hasn't even established a pattern), just a post that contains details some deem improbable. Big whoop. Most of us have lives with seemingly improbable details.

Trolls reveal themselves with time. I don't get why, within 6 posts, we've jumped on this person.

As for the odd title--seems to be this is a person speaking / writing in English as a second language. There are several very typical ESL mistakes in his posts.

:iagree:That was my impression as well and it would also explain the reluctance to homeschool. Also, my dd goes to Kumon and many of the other students at the center are children of Asian immigrants.