Menu

If You've Stuck With A Curriculum for 3+ YEARS...

WIS0320

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have used MFW for 5 years and RightStart Mathematics for 3 years and counting. We're very happy with both!

This is our second year of using Classical Academic Press resources (Spanish for Children A, Song School Latin and the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker), and we are really impressed with all of the programs. I think that we will be sticking with that company in the forseeable future.

Next year will be our third year of using MCT for language arts. I think we will continue with at least parts of that program, too.

We've used a variety of resources for the other subjects.

We've hopped around a lot, particularly when trying to find what works for my dyslexic oldest dd. I don't know if we've used anything 3 years in a row, but there are several things we have used for more than three years total --

Sonlight history and read alouds

SOTW audiobooks (over and over!)

Teaching Textbooks for various children at various levels

Seton English and Religion

We've only used Math Mammoth for 1 year now but I see us sticking with that through the years it covers - love it. Same with Apples and Pears spelling for my oldest.

Switching to TOG for history and HOPING I can come back in 3 years able to answer this question with a yes on TOG. :)

We've done K12 for 3 years now. I like it a lot, but I'm pulling from different sources for next year. I think a more hands-on approach will work better for my son, and I'm feeling worn out by using K12. It's rigorous and it's 180 day program. If you throw in field trips, half-day workshop days, assemblies, etc., schools don't do 180 days/year of curriculum. It's a lot to fit in, and I always feel under the gun to complete everything even though we're independent users and don't have to. I'm probably going to use them for language arts, history (next year will be our last year with them for history because they veer away from the 4-year cycle in 5th grade), and music. We'll be using REAL Science Odyssey, Meet the Masters, and Teaching Textbooks.

We will pretty much stick our same stuff for next year for core stuff, which only puts us into year two with it (not 3+).

Horzons for Math, Spelling, Reading/Phonics, First Language Lessons, Atelier Art, and Handwriting Without Tears for cursive.

The other stuff we are either sticking with more child led interest throughout the year or unit/project based work.

We have use CLE Math, LA & Reading for 5 years for my middle one and all 3 years for my youngest. You would think they would be bored to tears by now, but no!!!

We used Weaver for 5 years when they were younger.

I anticipate using several of the more recent finds for at least a few - several years!

I have not hopped much, but I tend to have my children do more math than most. So you could say I have added more in, but kept much of the same base.

Those which I have stuck with for 3+ years include:

Singapore Math & IP, CWP (for presentation of material - especially Levels 3 and Up - and visual problem solving purposes)

Rod & Staff English (consistent, but a bit dry)

Saxon (I like this for review purposes - but we use it at least 1 to 2 grade-levels ahead)

SWR (I keep this for the rules, phonograms, and WISE guide)

Edited by fractalgal

MATH

- Miquon = grades 1-3

- Singapore: Primary = grades 2-6; NEM = grade 7 (it got too difficult for ME to teach it)

- MUS = grades 5-8; 10-11 (grade 9 = temporary trial of something else)

SPELLING

- The ABCs and All Their Tricks (made our own, based on this) = grades 6-11

- Megawords = grades 6-11

SUPPLEMENT

- What Your _____ Grader Needs to Know = grades 2-6

CRITICAL THINKING

- Logic Liftoff series = grades 4-7

- Critical Thinking Activities in Pattern, Image, Logic series= grades 3-8

VOCABULARY

- English From the Roots Up, vol. 1 and 2 = grades 4-8 (took 2 years per volume)

GRAMMAR

- Winston, Basic/Word Works/Advanced = grades 3-8 (took 2 years each for Basic and Advanced; 1 year for Word Works)

- Chortling Bard = grades 9-12

READING/LITERATURE

- WTM/WEM style of read/analyze/discuss = gr. 8-12

GEOGRAPHY

- workbooks = grades 2-8 (esp.: Complete Book of Maps & Geography; MCP Maps & Charts; Carson-Dellosa Discovering Geography (gr 6-7; gr 7-8)

- Sheppard Software free online geography games (gr. 5-8)

Edited by Lori D.

R&S English

Phonics Pathways

Veritas History (elementary)

Apologia Science

MCP Maps, Charts, and Graphs

Wheelock's Latin, though that's only a 2 year high school course. But both of my older boys have done this.

Math, vocab, spelling, and writing have been all over the map.

The things I have stuck with for 3+ years:

R&S English, Math, Spelling, Penmanship, Phonics, Music, Health, Reading

SOTW

100EZ Lessons (taught all 3 kiddos to read with it)

Art With a Purpose (Artpacs)

Poems for Memorization

Daily Mental Math

The things that are on my shelf for next year that will be the third year I am using them:

Apologia Elementary Science

Schoolaid Health

Memoria Press Latin

Logic Countdown/Logic Liftoff/Orbiting with Logic

I am switching from some of my usual stuff this coming school year, though...my eldest is going too quickly through the R&S math to continue with it (2 books per year); our options were to either do the 7th and 8th grade books as a pre-algebra or go directly to a pre-algebra textbook, and I chose to go with the pre-algebra textbook. I am also dropping R&S reading and going to MP Literature, and doing MP Classical Studies instead of SOTW4. I will use SOTW1-3 with my youngest, though. I am also switching my middle child from R&S math to Prof B...if it doesn't help (I am not sure if it is the program or my child) I will switch her back to R&S.

Edited by Clear Creek
Forgot one!

Curriculum that never changes:

Mystery of History

Apologia elementary science (We haven't started the high school sequence, so the jury is still out on that.)

Phonics Pathway (Oh how I wish I knew about this when my oldest was young!)

Math-U-See (with my oldest - used from Alpha to Epsilon so far... continuing the levels through at least pre-algebra, haven't decided on high school sequence yet))

Anaytical Grammar (only on 1st year but it is a huge hit so this one is a keeper for all kids eventually)

Curriculum hopping is by far the worst mistake I have made as a homeschooling parent. I am TERRIBLE about that! The only thing I can think of that we've used for three or more years was RightStart math. We used levels A, B, C, and then only part of D. I loved it for the first three years but level D had my daughter in tears every day, so I knew it was time to switch. We've hopped around in math ever since, and I hate that, because it's one area where I feel you definitely need consistency. We can't seem to find anything that she likes now. I guess I'm just going to have to pick one and make her stick with it whether she likes it or not. We've tried MEP, CLE, and Saxon, and she liked MEP and CLE for awhile and then grew to detest them. Hated Saxon from day 1. Now we're just using a cheap workbook I picked up at a local store. She doesn't love it, but she's not complaining either.

We also used Phonics Pathways all the way through from beginning to end without any temptation to switch, but we didn't use it for three years.

ETA: I thought of another one! Well, almost. This is our second year using the Prentice Hall Science Explorers series and I plan to use them again next year because we like them. So does that count? :D

Edited by GretaLynne

Singapore Math

R&S Reading

R&S English

Pathway readers

CLP readers

Nora Gaydos readers

Building Thinking Skills

TOG

Sonlight Science (younger children)

Apologia Science

Developing the Early Learner

R&S Preschool

Complete Book of Maps and Geography

Many of the above I used with my 16yo DS, and am now using with his younger brothers and sisters.

We are adding AAS, AAR, MEP, RightStart Math, FLL, WWE, IEW, and Science in a Nutshell

kits, which we hope will also be long-term additions.

I am also considering doing Nancy Larson Science with the younger children.

Used for 3 or more years successfully:

R&S English

A Reason for Handwriting

CLP Phonics for 4 of 5 children for 3 years each (it works!)

CLP Spelling for 4 of 5 children for all years

Pathway Readers

BJU Science for elementary (and evidently some highschool)

Apologia for highschool (4 years with 1st child)

Horizons Math for elementary

Saxon with DIVE for 1st child in highschool (no clue for next child)

Memoria Press Latin for all levels

Story of the World - all levels

Things we love but not 3 years total:

Beautiful Feet History and History of Science

MFW

Streams of Civilization

Singapore math

CPO Science (Life/Earth/Physics)

MCT (though not all components)

Editor in Chief

Grid Perplexors

Reading Reflex was all I used to teach all 3 kids to read, but it didn't take that long. :tongue_smilie:

We've done very little curriculum hopping - but in elementary I didn't use as much "name-brand" curriculum. I made up my own history and science; after learning to read they just read with no particular curriculum.

K12 Human Odyssey's going to be a keeper as a spine, but we're just now finishing up the first volume (though I own them all).

We're finishing up our fourth year with Singapore math. We did a switch from US edition in 1st grade to standards after that.

We're in our 3rd year with All About Spelling. Spelling Workout was not a good fit here. I'm very glad I switched when I did.

What is the curriculum?

I've done my share of overbuying and yet we actually haven't "hopped" this year to anything that I didn't plan on using prior to the year's start. I'm sticking with PR and moving into PR 2 for 2nd grade, sticking with Singapore, sticking with Zaner-Bloser, sticking with Core Knowledge Literature, and sticking with Atelier Art for second grade. Science and history are changing.

Anyway, I see a lot of hopping (which is OK!) I just wonder if other people have been pretty happy and have not hopped much.

CLE Math, CLE Penmanship (which becomes Penwise after 2nd grade) and SOTW

Our List:

Used 3 years or more:

Saxon Math (1-87, ds)

Singapore Math (Earlybird-4A, dd)

R&S English (2-7,ds; 2-4, dd)

ETC (Ready-6, both)

Building Thinking Skills (2-3, both; 4-6, ds)

Handwriting with Tears (K-3, both, 4-6, ds)

Sonlight Readers (1-3, ds)

On our 3rd year:

Sequential Spelling (1-3, ds)

Books from Ambleside Online

Singapore Math

Rod and Staff Math

Italics Handwriting

Memoria Press (Latin, Greek Myths guide, etc.)

Primary Language Lessons/Intermediate Language Lessons

Holling C. Holling Books for geography

Classical Writing (almost 3 years but will definitely keep using it...Dd is in Diogenes and my younger dd will start Homer later this year)

• 3 weeks later...

We're very ecclectic homeschoolers and don't really follow a lot of "set" curriculum. What we've continued using the whole time:

copywork

notebooking and lapbooks

lots of living books for history (I do a lot of it a la WTM, including using Story of the World)

MUS

Explode the Code

Wordly Wise 3000

FLL

HWOT

Edited by CarlaJoy

Finishing up our third year of homeschooling, we have used many different things (especially that first year) but have stuck with:

SotW (sometimes used as a spine for another program)

MUS (primer thru zeta used so far)

Classical Academic Press: Latin for Children, SSL, Greek for Children, Logic

WWE/WWS/FLL

Still can't settle on a science or literature program and I've tried out quite a few. :)

We've used My Father's World K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and looking forward to EX-1850 this fall. We have changed up the LA and Math a few times. This will be our third year with Teaching Textbooks though and that seems to be working so I see no need to change it.

As the boys are nearing the Logic stage, I feel the need to "step it up" a bit by adding Latin and beginning Logic this coming fall. I am planning on using MFW thru high school, Lord willing.

My ds is 3rd grade so I haven't had a chance to use much for more than 3 years.

Miquon. My ds will finish this complete program soon and I love it so much I'll use it with my younger kiddos too.

Sequential Spelling. I've used this since his 1st grade year and I plan on going through all 7 books and do plan on using it with my younger children.

HWT--I've used these since my oldest ds's K year and we'll stick with it to the end of the program. I also plan on using them with my younger kiddos.

I'm sure there'll be more as my kids grow. I am not a curriculum hopper. If I find something that I like and it works---it will work for all three kiddos or else. :lol: It would have to honestly be terrible and completely unusable for me to let it go. Or discontinued. Out of print. Once I make a decision I usually stick with it.