Menu

Deeply regret knowing of Susan Powter and Atkins

I never had a weight problem until I was caught up in Powter's "Stop the Insanity" in the late 80s when trying to lose 15 pounds postpartum. I gained 25 instead and spent years trying to undo the believe I had developed that fat was evil. In the 90s I tried Atkins and lost a ton of weight, and gained it back, and lost, and gained. Every other year I lose 50 pounds and then regain it over the next year. I spend a year regreting the gain and then try again.

This morning I woke up knowing that yes, I have to cut out refined carbs, but that the only way I'm going to keep off the weight is if I give up the "no carbs ever" idea. Some might live that way, but I can't.

Why oh why did I ever embrace that first crazy no fat diet idea. If only I had continued to cut back and exercise all those years ago I believe I wouldn't be in the position I'm in now. Anyone else?

:grouphug: I hear you. :grouphug:

Although I didn't go with these specific methods, I seem to have the same exact problem, losing and gaining. :glare: I don't know your age, but trust me, (I'm almost 44), it doesn't get easier. :confused:

I have a plan to eat much less. Just eat everything but much smaller portions. Sort of like the French. Been doing lots of thinking about that. Don't deprive myself of anything. Just moderation and smaller portions.

Also, my exercise is much less extreme, which I really believe helps me. All that crazy and intense exercise - I'm so done with that. :)

Just want to let you know that you're most definitely not the only one. :grouphug:

Right*there*with*you on dieting in general.

I believe I shot my metabolism years ago with all my low cal, low fat diets. I have always eaten fairly light or did up until my first pregnancy. Then I ate and ate and gained and gained and have NEVER gotten back to any kind of pre-pregnancy weight.

I have tried it all.

Here is what I know:

1. I don't lose if I am hungry. It used to work and I used to love that feeling of "emptiness" but I don't anymore and it will backfire.

2. I can't seem to live with a "give up this food forever" mentality or even giving it up for long term. So, giving up carbs is out.

3. I have to, have to, have to exercise.....and I give up way too fast because I hate it.

4. I used to live on diet food. I don't want the artificial stuff anymore, but the full fat, full sugar, etc...stuff isn't working for weight loss either, so I am at a loss as to how to handle that. Because if I don't get that, there again, I am depriving myself.

I hate being fat. But apparently I love it more than actually doing something about it. :glare:

Dawn

:grouphug: It's one of the reasons I listen with half an ear to nutritionists. I remember way back when I was a kid and they told my Nana that she had heart disease and she needed to start using margarine--which she did. :cursing: And we all know the end of that nutritional advice.

When I needed to loose weight, there was one book that helped, it was attached to a ministry, but I find her theology so bass ackwards (even back then) that I'm loathe to pass it on to anyone. What I will tell you is that her method works.

ALL food is on the table. Eat when you are *hungry* When your stomach rumbles. Eat whatever you want until you're *satisfied*--NOT full. Full is too much. Satisfied.

If you want to make the meal chocolate, then do it. Why? Because how many times are you going to do that? You'll eat it a few times and be so sick of it. You'll find that small portions satisfy you and you'll loose the weight.

On top of that, we, as a family, don't eat a lot of sugar. We eat whole foods, and try for organic as our budget allows-but that's not for weight that's for health.

Edited by justamouse

There have been some threads here on French women not getting fat. They don't eat diet foods and don't do all the extreme stuff. I need to read and re-read all that. I think it's all very useful and interesting.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether you can eat like them and LOSE weight. I seem to be able to maintain with that philosophy, so I think the basic idea is sound, but I can't seem to lose.

I have dropped artificial sweeteners and diet food. The only cure for that (for me) was getting used to things not being as sweet.:tongue_smilie:

We have different health issues going on in our house and it is so exhausting to try to sort through the different nutritional information. VERY different. Fat(insert carbs, protein, fruit, etc.... For fat) is good. Fat is bad. Some fat is ok. Using very small amounts of certain types of fat is good...no...ok....no...cut it all out.

And everyone spouts "scientific" data that, supposedly, backs them up. If they can't agree, how is an average person supposed to know what to do?

I know I am still young, but just wanted to add my two cents in just the same. I have used the South Beach Diet, and it works because they incoporate good foods, not fake diet foods, but the show you a meal plan and what to buy etc. It is low carb, but not no carb! I could never, ever do low carb, and it is not recommended to give up carbs because we need them to survive. I notice if I deprive myself of meals, I hold onto weight, if I follow SBD and eat good meals with treats in moderation, then I lose no matter what. I have learned food is meant to be enjoyed not to be your enemy, and exercise is KEY in any weight loss. Maybe take a look at SBD? Not trying to advertise for the system, but just wanting to give you more ideas as some advice. But I'm also 17, so many don't like to listen!;)

Yes, it does get harder with age. I'm over 50 now and find that while I could lose 5 or more pounds the first week I'm no lucky to lose a pound with the same approach. Last month I cut out sweets and thought I had lost a great deal. Turns out the battery in the scale was starting to go :(

I never had a weight problem until I was caught up in Powter's "Stop the Insanity" in the late 80s when trying to lose 15 pounds postpartum. I gained 25 instead and spent years trying to undo the believe I had developed that fat was evil. In the 90s I tried Atkins and lost a ton of weight, and gained it back, and lost, and gained. Every other year I lose 50 pounds and then regain it over the next year. I spend a year regreting the gain and then try again.

This morning I woke up knowing that yes, I have to cut out refined carbs, but that the only way I'm going to keep off the weight is if I give up the "no carbs ever" idea. Some might live that way, but I can't.

Why oh why did I ever embrace that first crazy no fat diet idea. If only I had continued to cut back and exercise all those years ago I believe I wouldn't be in the position I'm in now. Anyone else?

Carbs are energy and they get such a bad rap. The one thing I would change is that is I would have given up diet drinks and eaten more vegetables.

Doesn't SB say to use artificial sweeteners if you are craving sweets?

I know you don't HAVE to do that, but if you don't, what do you use? I can't stand stevia.....bad aftertaste.

I still do occasionally (mostly when eating out) get a diet soda. I don't drink it regularly, but maybe about once a week or so I will have one.

Dawn

I know I am still young, but just wanted to add my two cents in just the same. I have used the South Beach Diet, and it works because they incoporate good foods, not fake diet foods, but the show you a meal plan and what to buy etc. It is low carb, but not no carb! I could never, ever do low carb, and it is not recommended to give up carbs because we need them to survive. I notice if I deprive myself of meals, I hold onto weight, if I follow SBD and eat good meals with treats in moderation, then I lose no matter what. I have learned food is meant to be enjoyed not to be your enemy, and exercise is KEY in any weight loss. Maybe take a look at SBD? Not trying to advertise for the system, but just wanting to give you more ideas as some advice. But I'm also 17, so many don't like to listen!;)

It's been awhile since I read it. What i got out of it was to balance things: vegi, protien and carb should be somewhat equal, each with a small amount of healthy fat. (butter on the vegis, ect) she does get into portions and stuff like that. I didn't follow that. (I've never been too ridgid with this sort of thing, which is exactly why I never got into counting calories.)

I found the endocrinologist side of things very interesting. She gets into why your body yo-yos with diets and how you kill your metabolism doing all that. She also says that when you start eating healthy, a lot of times a body will hang onto all that at first and you'll actually gain weight. It's because your body is excited to have food again and doesn't know when the next starvation cycle will start again. But if you keep it up and keep eating, your metabolism should heal and your weight normalize. But it takes time.

I just basically dumped all my diet books. I'm just going to eat like I did when I was growing up. Lots of fresh fruits, veggies and a small portion of meat. I never had a weight problem until my thyroid went crazy in 1995. Since then it's been up and down.

No more artificial anything.

As far as exercise...I plan on 30 minutes a day. I refuse to kill myself anymore. I plan on having fun just the way I am. I will walk, swim, hit the gym and just have fun without killing myself.

I just want to feel better, iykwim. ;)

My first BS is in nutrition. I graduated feeling like we (the human race, that is) really didn't know anything still about nutrition. It was back when Atkin's was being reintroduced, and there did seem to be a lot of merit to cutting out all the refined carbs. I had a friend who had a lot of success on South Beach, a more moderate approach, but then she got pregnant.... I look at my obese mother and worry about myself. Her mother died of a stroke, and yes she was obese as well. I think part of the trick is not gaining the weight to begin with, of course, that isn't so useful if you're already heavy.

I just want to feel better, iykwim. ;)

Me too.

It is frustrating and discouraging to sort out all of the different information out there. I try to fall back on the facts that water and veggies are good. Those are the only two things everyone seems to agree on. Most people also say fruit is good.

Isn't she also into the "don't eat this food and that food together?"

I know Suzanne Summer's diet is based on her diet, so that is what I am assuming she advocates as well.....food combining restrictions and such.

Dawn

It's been awhile since I read it. What i got out of it was to balance things: vegi, protien and carb should be somewhat equal, each with a small amount of healthy fat. (butter on the vegis, ect) she does get into portions and stuff like that. I didn't follow that. (I've never been too ridgid with this sort of thing, which is exactly why I never got into counting calories.)

I found the endocrinologist side of things very interesting. She gets into why your body yo-yos with diets and how you kill your metabolism doing all that. She also says that when you start eating healthy, a lot of times a body will hang onto all that at first and you'll actually gain weight. It's because your body is excited to have food again and doesn't know when the next starvation cycle will start again. But if you keep it up and keep eating, your metabolism should heal and your weight normalize. But it takes time.

I don't remember that. I don't think so. I remember liking the simplicity of it and that it make sense to balance things instead of going crazy limiting one thing or another. Honestly, I recommended it for the info about what dietit does to your body. It doesn't sound like anyone wants another plan to follow. :) I lost my weight (30lbs at 22, so not completely relevant) by eating when I was hungry, stopping when I was full and using sweets as a once-in-awhile treat instead of a daily snack. I think if we just eat sensibly and stay active, we can choose to be happy with whatever body we're in.

Edited by Scuff

SB is the quintessential exceedingly low carb diet. It's initiation phase is essentially zero carbs- no fruit, even a limited list of veggies etc. That works for some, but it is not sustainable for most. It also is controversial health wise for triggering ketosis.

The best and most effective "diet" is simply counting your calorie intake. Unfortunately, we really need very few to survive. My BMR is 1300-and something. So, to lose anything without adding exercise, I have to keep my calorie intake at about 1000 calories. It's not really "hard", but it does suck because it is so little food when compared to the average American diet. One "real" meal at any restaurant can easily double that in calories.

My advice. Take a nutrition course, chuck and carb-counting, figure out your BMR and count calories. The Hungry Girl cookbooks are a good place to start for low-calorie recipes.

I'm not skinny, by the way. Need to lose about 40 pounds. I'm constantly trying to stay on the horse myself. When I got married over ten years ago, the Protein Power diet worked like a charm for DH and me. I tried it again last year for a month. It didn't work that time and I exercised about 1.5 hours a day with it. I lost little. Almost 35-year-old metabolism is depressing. The low carbs totally messed with my brain too.

It took a nutrition course that I took as a pre-req for nursing school to really make me understand how the body works. I didn't like what I learned. LOL!!

Edited by pitterpatter

My advice. Take a nutrition course, chuck and carb-counting, figure out your BMR and count calories. The Hungry Girl cookbooks are a good place to start for low-calorie recipes.

(snip)

It took a nutrition course that I took as a pre-req for nursing school to really make me understand how the body works. I didn't like what I learned. LOL!!

But this advice is also controversial. Many people believe contemporary medicine/nutrition has it wrong.

In the past, the issue of food made me miserable daily. I was either eating nonstop or eating nothing. I don't know why but I just never had a healthy understanding of how my body uses food. This book- Food as Medicine- made me look at things differently, and I still find it very inspirational when I reread it every couple of years. It's not a diet book at all, though. It's more like a reference book. It helped me learn to eat purposefully.

I would also recommend drinking lots (and lots... and lots) of water. There was a thread on making yourself drink more water a few weeks ago.

I'm trying to make wise choices. Our bodies need carbs for energy, but it does not *need* a twinkie :). Some things that are beneficial are actually higher in calories, like avocado and nuts. So, I'm trying to chose foods that are good for me and will benefit my body in some way rather being an empty choice. Yes, I do treat myself to cookies and candy, but it is not the mainstay. And yes, now that 50 is just a very few months away, weight does not come off easily. Sometimes it goes on "for no particular reason". I'm trying to make healthy eating and moving my body (running, walking, biking) a lifestyle choice I don't have to think about so it will be "life" not a diet.

Edited by HollyDay

Very true and confusing. I had to find out what works for me and my body and leave everything else by the wayside. I thrive on low carbs and fish and egg protein, lots of seasonal veggies and fruits but little meat.

Moderation is the key. A little olive oil is fine, a lot of olive oil and everyone is gaining weight.

Same with coconut oil.

I do always stay away from margarine and any oils that turn rancid fast.

I imagine it makes it even harder if you have other issues to deal with like gluten and dairy intolerance, etc.

I know many who lost a lot on this plan. Three people off the top of my head who lost 100 plus pounds each on this plan. Then their churches stopped the minute she got nuts and some gained it back.

Dawn

When I needed to loose weight, there was one book that helped, it was attached to a ministry, but I find her theology so bass ackwards (even back then) that I'm loathe to pass it on to anyone. What I will tell you is that her method works.

ALL food is on the table. Eat when you are *hungry* When your stomach rumbles. Eat whatever you want until you're *satisfied*--NOT full. Full is too much. Satisfied.

If you want to make the meal chocolate, then do it. Why? Because how many times are you going to do that? You'll eat it a few times and be so sick of it. You'll find that small portions satisfy you and you'll loose the weight.

On top of that, we, as a family, don't eat a lot of sugar. We eat whole foods, and try for organic as our budget allows-but that's not for weight that's for health.

I gave up grains 2 weeks ago. When I looked at the landscape of available foods, I realized that grains were completely unnecessary, and they were a huge part of my diet. I cannot live without protein, I cannot live without fat, I cannot live without plant life, but I can live without grains (and sugar). So that's it. I just stopped eating them. I don't calorie count, or weigh what I eat. I eat till I'm full, which when you aren't eating grains is a lot sooner than it used to be. I've lost 5 pounds.

Cutting out grains also cuts out a massive amount of processed foods. I'm amazed at the connection between grains and processed food.

I don't think you can lose weight without denying yourself something. I mean, that's the issue, right? Something has to be altered, and that's going to mean a shift in eating. It should be something you can do permanently. I believe I can not eat grains as a steady part of my diet ever again. I KNOW I couldn't commit to weighing, counting, or any other thing like that. So, that's my solution.

That's my 2 cents!

SB is the quintessential exceedingly low carb diet. It's initiation phase is essentially zero carbs- no fruit, even a limited list of veggies etc. That works for some, but it is not sustainable for most. It also is controversial health wise for triggering ketosis.

Good point, I never thought of it that way.

There have been some threads here on French women not getting fat. They don't eat diet foods and don't do all the extreme stuff. I need to read and re-read all that. I think it's all very useful and interesting.

:iagree: Go to the library. Or download it now. It's SOOOO not about hunger, deprivation, or a diet. It's good advice weather you have weight issues or not and it's sustainable.

Low Carb gets such a bad rap. Honestly, Atkins doesn't want you to write off an entire macronutrient. Atkins does advocate giving up all the refined carbs while you're losing. After you reach your goal, you might tolerate reasonable portions of refined foods. My biggest issue with Atkins now is pushing the low carb fake foods.

I took this from another thread I posted it on. It really does work and you don't have to count a thing!

...I have tried WW (successfully in '05), Atkins, and South Beach (both unsuccessful b/c I gave in to the awful cravings I had in the 1st week each time).

Have you heard about the NoS diet? From the website:

There are just three rules and one exception:

No Snacks

No Sweets

No Seconds

Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"

That's it.

I just re-started it yesterday (about 10 days ago now & I have lost exactly 5 lbs.)- it is the one thing that I can stick to. I can eat one plate and not go back for seconds. I pay more attention to the amount of food that is going on my plate and would be willing to bet I put less, even though I am not going to have seconds. I love sweets, but knowing that I can eat all I want on the weekends helps. Again - overall - I doubt that I am eating as much as before NoS. No snacking is a bit more difficult. Between breakfast & lunch is OK. But lunchtime to dinnertime, and after the girls go to bed is harder. I have found that sparkling water really fills me up. Moreso than regular tap water. I usually have either that, or a stick of gum to help me through those times, but from past experience it gets better quickly.

HTH - good luck to you!

This book was very informative. It's probably at your library.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0757302270?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

Thanks I just put this on hold at the library.

Yes, but after that 2 weeks, which you can actually skip (according to the book), you add in whole grains and fruit again.

I have lost 30+ pounds since Thanksgiving. I started with a short round of hcg, which got things going, then moved to South Beach. I love SB - it works, and I never feel deprived. However, I want to make more adjustments as I don't care for low fat cheeses (would rather have less and have it be the real thing) or artificial sweeteners - stevia is kind of just okay. I also brought in the idea of blended salads from Dr. Fuhrman. And I love my chocolate, so I allow myself 2 little squares of Dove dark chocolate every night before bed.

On a daily basis, I eat a lot of veggies, fruits, lean proteins, a little serving or two of whole grains (not doing wheat right now), some nuts/seeds, and so forth. I walk on the treadmill, at an incline, 30-45 minutes each day.

It is working - the weight is coming off! And I feel pretty darn good!

Edited by momto2Cs

I never had a weight problem until I was caught up in Powter's "Stop the Insanity" in the late 80s when trying to lose 15 pounds postpartum. ...Anyone else?

Yup. My mom got me involved in the Atkins diet back in the 70s when I was a barely-pudgy teenager. There's something "all-or-nothing" about the carb diet mentality that messed up my head about food.

What helped me a lot was eating small, frequent meals: whole grains and complex carbs, lean proteins, lots of fruits and vetables, and "good" fats (olives, nuts, avocados, coconut).

If you eat this way (forever), you don't need to be hungry, you don't need to skip meals, you don't need to count anything, and your body will settle in at a healthy weight.

Good authors are Cliff Sheats, Larry North, and the book linked above looks good too (just at a quick glance).

I took this from another thread I posted it on. It really does work and you don't have to count a thing!

YES! I've been No S since mid May and I've lost 21 lbs!! More importantly, I am completely happy with the plan and have no intention of ever going back because of how I feel on it. Besides the weight loss, the best part is the lack of low blood sugar crashes I used to have if I didn't snack several times a day. The snacks were always healthy, but I honestly believe they were contributing to a vicious metabolic cycle that was heading my pancreas for a melt down. Got off the snack track and now I feel great!

I love being able to eat real food in quantities that work for me, I enjoy my treats on the weekend, I do not feel deprived, or like I'm dieting. I try and walk for exercise several times a week, but I don't do an exercise program. In short, I feel like I got my life back and it's one that does not revolve around food.

I highly recommend at least checking it out and maybe doing the 21 day challenge.

Edited to add that for the last 6 weeks, I have been counting calories using the web tool LoseIt, as a means to help me learn and internalize portion control on my three plates. When I reach my goal weight, I will not continue that and it's not a part of No S, it was just a tool I needed to help me get to my weight goal. I was actually maintaining and not gaining when I added this in. I had already lost 16 of my 21lbs just doing No S. The healthy body and health food 'tude result of NO S is the real winner for me! :)

Edited by JustGin

I really, really wanted NoS to work for me (and still do), but each time I've tried it, I've failed miserably. I wouldn't mind trying it again, however. Just one more time. I'm willing to try anything at this point. Losing is not nearly as hard as keeping it off. Keeping it off is the hardest part. If I can lose 10-12 more pounds and keep that off, I'll be delighted.

Diets don't work.

Well, they do for the moment...but people tend to gain the weight back for many reasons. You have to make a lifestyle change you know you can live with. You have to change the way you look at food and thus change what you do and do not put into your body. Excercise is a good part of it too. Did you know that you can walk 8 miles and then eat like a horse and not gain a pound? LOL I found that out this weekend!

But really, just change the way you look at food and the pounds will come off. It will take TIME and patience, but it will happen. :)

I did Kimkins (extreme low carb) and lost 50 lbs., but I gained it all back +10 pounds. Life was stressful and I had not changed my food/eating habits.

Five years later...I finally found the motivation I needed. I couldn't breathe during tea time. Literally couldn't breathe! :tongue_smilie:

I started Take Shape for Life which uses Medifast for the weight loss phase. I NEVER thought I would buy pre-packaged diet food, but I was desperate to feel better (and be able to breathe ;)). I've lost 38lbs. since mid-October. I'm reading the founder's book Dr. A's Habits of Health. I'll admit I'm nervous about regaining the weight, but I hope I can get it through my thick brain that I have to make permanent changes. I can't go back to eating DQ's Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzards every week.

I don't particularly like the title of the blog post, but my health coach describes the idea behind weight loss (insulin levels). Graphs are included.

Diets don't work.

Well, they do for the moment...but people tend to gain the weight back for many reasons. You have to make a lifestyle change you know you can live with. You have to change the way you look at food and thus change what you do and do not put into your body. Excercise is a good part of it too. Did you know that you can walk 8 miles and then eat like a horse and not gain a pound? LOL I found that out this weekend!

But really, just change the way you look at food and the pounds will come off. It will take TIME and patience, but it will happen. :)

:iagree:

For me, once I hit 40 it became extremely hard to lose weight. This time I had to take drastic measures. I couldn't wait. I was having some scary things happen.

BTW, the 38 lb. loss has made tea time much more enjoyable :D. I'm no longer thinking "I think...I'm going to....pass out!"

Diets don't work.

Well, they do for the moment...but people tend to gain the weight back for many reasons. You have to make a lifestyle change you know you can live with. You have to change the way you look at food and thus change what you do and do not put into your body.

This is so true.

Did you know that you can walk 8 miles and then eat like a horse and not gain a pound?

This is the part that has me :confused:.

I've done WATP for 7 or 8 miles and ate even carefully (not like a horse), and I still struggled.

But when we were in Paris, we walked all. day. long and ate moderately. No weight gain whatsoever.

I think some workout programs and DVDs hinder weight loss. :confused:

I need to exercise in moderation when I want to lose weight. Workouts that are overly intense or long (longer than 45 minutes) just make me feel hungrier.

really, just change the way you look at food and the pounds will come off.

This is the hard part. How? I wish I could change the way I look at food. :confused:

This is the hard part. How? I wish I could change the way I look at food. :confused:

I hate working out but I make myself do it. What worked FOR ME was to look at the food and think, "If I eat this poison, I'm undoing all the hard work I did yesterday." I do allow myself treats but I make sure they are occasional, not regular.

I did Kimkins (extreme low carb) and lost 50 lbs., but I gained it all back +10 pounds. Life was stressful and I had not changed my food/eating habits.

Five years later...I finally found the motivation I needed. I couldn't breathe during tea time. Literally couldn't breathe! :tongue_smilie:

I started Take Shape for Life which uses Medifast for the weight loss phase. I NEVER thought I would buy pre-packaged diet food, but I was desperate to feel better (and be able to breathe ;)). I've lost 38lbs. since mid-October. I'm reading the founder's book Dr. A's Habits of Health. I'll admit I'm nervous about regaining the weight, but I hope I can get it through my thick brain that I have to make permanent changes. I can't go back to eating DQ's Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzards every week.

I don't particularly like the title of the blog post, but my health coach describes the idea behind weight loss (insulin levels). Graphs are included.

:lol::lol: My dh lost weight quickly when I complained. I mean, he was squishing the air out of my lungs.

Having other goals in mind, I look at food as useful or useless tools.

I tried Medifast. It definitely is a ketosis diet.

It also gave me some nasty "Medifarts" as they are called, even without a lot of bars...

Dh asked me to sleep in the other room! :lol:

Dawn