Menu

Deeply regret knowing of Susan Powter and Atkins

I have been terrified of needing to diet my whole life, afraid of the rollercoaster aspect...I have a very fast metabolism and I weigh 30 lbs more now in my early 40s than I did at 17, and I was a very thin 17.,Diets mess wirh yr metabolism I think, though a big part is also genetic. All of my 30 lb gain is in the past yr, when I had to take heavy prednisone for several months. I am eating like I always did, a lot, and have settled at. 140 lbs at 5'7". I would love to be more like 125, but if I diet I am afraid of shooting myself in the foot.

I have been terrified of needing to diet my whole life, afraid of the rollercoaster aspect...I have a very fast metabolism and I weigh 30 lbs more now in my early 40s than I did at 17, and I was a very thin 17.,Diets mess wirh yr metabolism I think, though a big part is also genetic. All of my 30 lb gain is in the past yr, when I had to take heavy prednisone for several months. I am eating like I always did, a lot, and have settled at. 140 lbs at 5'7". I would love to be more like 125, but if I diet I am afraid of shooting myself in the foot.

Quick math in my head says that 140 should be well within normal weight for a woman your height. You're 40. Your metabolism has slowed as a natural part of the aging process. 125 would probably be very difficult to maintain now. 121-160 is the weight range of normal BMI for your height. You're almost exactly in the middle of that range.

If you don't like the shape/tone of your body, strength training would be good. You should be doing strength training for bone health anyway. Watch that your diet is healthy, but don't freak out about counting every little thing. Keeping a food journal might help with that. If you can see that you like to have dessert every night, you can counter that with good exercise habits.

Well, I am MUCH shorter than you are (by about 7.5 inches!) and 125 is what MY goal weight is right now. It won't make me skinny, but I will be comfortable.

Dawn

This morning I woke up knowing that yes, I have to cut out refined carbs, but that the only way I'm going to keep off the weight is if I give up the "no carbs ever" idea. Some might live that way, but I can't.

You might consider a moderate-carb plan such as that outlined in the book Life Without Bread by Allan and Lutz. Don't worry, you actually can eat bread on their plan. It's a great book with a really bad title. :001_smile: The plan allowed me to lose weight and improve my health, but without having to completely say goodbye to any food (or food group). It's very flexible, very livable. It's the kind of thing that you could do for the rest of your life. It's not a fad diet, it's a way of eating that you can do for years to come.

I tried Medifast. It definitely is a ketosis diet.

It also gave me some nasty "Medifarts" as they are called, even without a lot of bars...

Dh asked me to sleep in the other room! :lol:

Dawn

:lol:

I weigh 30 lbs more now in my early 40s than I did at 17, and I was a very thin 17.

140 lbs at 5'7". I would love to be more like 125, but if I diet I am afraid of shooting myself in the foot.

You sound at a very good weight to me. Most of us (particularly after children) can no longer weigh what we did at 17. Just not realistic or healthy.

82401868151582942_zs2jN33x_f.jpg

I KNEW IT! I am just 12 inches too short! I don't have a weight issue at all, I have a height issue.

:lol:

You sound at a very good weight to me. Most of us (particularly after children) can no longer weigh what we did at 17. Just not realistic or healthy.

82401868151582942_zs2jN33x_f.jpg

My regret is going to college and rooming with two girls who obsessed about weight. Lovely people otherwise, don't get me wrong, but until I lived with people who ate, then purged, then exercised, then ate, then cried about what they ate, and on and on and on....when the whole time they were thin, beautiful, healthy active girls, I would have never picked up the nit-picking, body-hating habit I got from them.

I spent my twenties - during which I was pretty darn thin, thank you very much - thinking I was hugely fat. The only time I felt good was once when I basically got pneumonia and couldn't eat for a month.

Now, in my 40s, after four kids, I could stand to lose 5 - 10 pounds. Big deal. But if I took the brain power I spent thinking about it, agonizing about it, buying new diet cookbooks, thinking of ways to exercise, coming up with incentive plans and so on....and focused on world peace or mining for gold or something productive.....sheesh, I'd either have won the Nobel peace prize or have gotten rich by now.

Eat less, exercise more, and come to grips with the fact that I will age. That's what I keep telling myself.

I'm tired of the struggle, too.

I do want to mention that Atkins is not no carb.

This has really been an interesting thread.

Joanne, I realize that the maintenance part of Atkins is not no carb. But when I was an impressionable 15YO (maybe 5 lbs overweight), I was convinced that ketosis was the secret for a perfect figure and a happy life. Well, one carb slip up does ruin the entire day for ketosis. And since the day was shot already, I figured I might as well eat a bag of Oreos which I had been craving because I was *starving*! And then I had even more weight to lose. And this became a very unhealthy cycle in my head.

I'm not saying this became a huge deal that ruined my life. I just wish I hadn't been introduced to the concept at all when I was so young and, frankly, already slim enough.

This has really been an interesting thread.

Joanne, I realize that the maintenance part of Atkins is not no carb. But when I was an impressionable 15YO (maybe 5 lbs overweight), I was convinced that ketosis was the secret for a perfect figure and a happy life. Well, one carb slip up does ruin the entire day for ketosis. And since the day was shot already, I figured I might as well eat a bag of Oreos which I had been craving because I was *starving*! And then I had even more weight to lose. And this became a very unhealthy cycle in my head.

I'm not saying this became a huge deal that ruined my life. I just wish I hadn't been introduced to the concept at all when I was so young and, frankly, already slim enough.

My senior prom dress was a size 2 - and I felt fat. :001_huh::confused::glare: I hear you.

I admit I am persnickety about low carb, Atkins, and the use of the word "carbs". Even the early stages of Atkins include carbs, just not refined, or grain, or white based ones. If you are truly doing Atkins, you consume a LOT of veggies.

• 2 weeks later...