Menu

Now I know why my mother would never tumble rocks

When I was a kid, my sister had one of those Rock Tumblers - you know, that turn the ordinary rocks into polished gemstones.

DD wanted one several Christmases ago. She got one, but it has been sitting in her closet for years. I was cleaning up in there and spotted it and thought, "Oh, the boys will love this!"

While reading the instructions, I did notice that it says, "Tumbling rocks make a LOT of noise. Please locate the tumbler where it will not disturb anybody."

NO FREAKIN' kidding it makes a lot of noise! It's been churning away for not quite 24 hours and I could throw it straight out the window! I did move it downstairs in the basement so it will be as far as possible from bugging anybody, but I can hear it screeching and squeeling right now, one floor up. I was awake for an hour in the middle of the night last night, because I couldn't stop my ears from discerning the far-off squeaking. I don't know how I can possibly stand this contraption for six more days.

Epic fail homeschooler project. :glare: Next time, we're going with Butterfly Canopy instead.

I hear you. We have a good one with lots of rubber. We keep in in a cement room in the basement with Styrofoam under it and a box with more noise absorbing material around it. It needs to run for several weeks before the rocks are ready. If you have a garage you may want to try it out there with some protective stuff around it. Just remember to leave enough room for the motor to cool.

When my kids were smaller, I saw a rock tumbler on clearance at a store and put it in a cart. Dh came up and said "WHAT is that doing in our cart? GET. IT. OUT." My dh is usually a pretty mild-mannered fellow, so this really surprised me. I asked him why, and he got all distant and hollow-voiced, and with a thousand-yard stare, said, "My sister had a rock tumbler when we were kids." :lol: After he recovered himself, he told me about the noise issue--theirs was kept in the garage (which was a separate structure) and he couldn't sleep in the house when it was on due to the noise.

When I was a kid, my sister had one of those Rock Tumblers - you know, that turn the ordinary rocks into polished gemstones.

DD wanted one several Christmases ago. She got one, but it has been sitting in her closet for years. I was cleaning up in there and spotted it and thought, "Oh, the boys will love this!"

While reading the instructions, I did notice that it says, "Tumbling rocks make a LOT of noise. Please locate the tumbler where it will not disturb anybody."

NO FREAKIN' kidding it makes a lot of noise! It's been churning away for not quite 24 hours and I could throw it straight out the window! I did move it downstairs in the basement so it will be as far as possible from bugging anybody, but I can hear it screeching and squeeling right now, one floor up. I was awake for an hour in the middle of the night last night, because I couldn't stop my ears from discerning the far-off squeaking. I don't know how I can possibly stand this contraption for six more days.

Epic fail homeschooler project. :glare: Next time, we're going with Butterfly Canopy instead.

One Christmas, all dd wanted was a rock tumbler. This is a kid who asks for ONE thing, and never parts from it. For the 4 (?) weeks after Christmas, I cursed that tumbler every. single. day.

Have I mentioned that we don't have a garage?

I hear you. We have a good one with lots of rubber. We keep in in a cement room in the basement with Styrofoam under it and a box with more noise absorbing material around it. It needs to run for several weeks before the rocks are ready. If you have a garage you may want to try it out there with some protective stuff around it. Just remember to leave enough room for the motor to cool.

Several Weeks?! :svengo: Stars in Heaven!!! I will be a total basketcase. I do have a garage, but that seems worse than the basement at night. (Basement is farther from any sleeping quarters.) It is sitting on a towel, but I didn't want to put anything over it.

Is this going to drive my electricity bill up?

I am seriously considering canning this entire project post-haste. :tongue_smilie: We have a little bag of those finished stones and it's really giving me pause why we should go through making them.

:D Thanks. My girls have wanted one for years, I've kept putting them off. Now I have a really good reason.

Just say no. Order a little bag of gemstones instead. :glare:

We had run ours for about 2 days before our chest freezer broke. Normally, the breaking of such an expensive appliance would have devastated me, but I was SO HAPPY!!! We picked up the tumbler, put it in the freezer, and let it grind away in greatly muffled bliss! The kids polished rocks for months!

When we moved, we got rid of the dead freezer but not the rock tumbler. That was a mistake. Ds8 has been asking to polish rocks again. Ds11, without missing a beat, replied, "We can't. We have to wait until the new freezer dies." :lol:

If the goal is just to see how a rock changes in the polishing process, there's another option. If you are fortunate enough to live in an area with a professional lapidary, their high-powered machines tumble the rocks very quickly and efficiently. It may be worth buying a bag of rough rocks there and paying to have them tumbled while you browse for half an hour or so. Even if the price were extremely high, it would probably be less than the cost of purchasing that home rock tumbler that will drive everyone batty for a few weeks, never to be used again.

You're supposed to keep that thing going for a WEEK?!?!? :001_huh: That would drive me nuts too.

Ha! We did it last year (given to us by a childless aunt) and it didn't 6 days, that was just the first step. I think total it was something like 3-4 weeks.

Luckily we had a stack of carpet squares leftover from a recent home improvement project and I created kind of a tent around it with those. It muffled the sound pretty well. It also was in the basement in a room by itself with the door closed.

After we were done, I hid it away in a closet. I don't want to inflict it on someone else, but it feels wrong to just throw it away.

Okay - question for all you experienced tumblers who are telling me I have weeks to look forward to. (I did put an upside-down Rubbermade Tote on top of it, so that is helping to deaden the sound.)

What "step" required all that further running and how did you know? Did you look at it and say, "Needs another week."? I didn't get weeks and weeks in the instructions. It looked like a week or so.

Yes, weeks!

We put ours in the basement and I could still hear it all. day. long.

(and I was about ready to make my DH go sleep in the basement next to the dumb thing because he was the one who bought it for our DS. :glare: )

We did one batch or rocks - The other batch is sitting unused in the box because I refuse to listen to that again. :tongue_smilie:

Okay - question for all you experienced tumblers who are telling me I have weeks to look forward to. (I did put an upside-down Rubbermade Tote on top of it, so that is helping to deaden the sound.)

What "step" required all that further running and how did you know? Did you look at it and say, "Needs another week."? I didn't get weeks and weeks in the instructions. It looked like a week or so.

Our kit came with different types of grit and step by step instructions.

Ex: tumble with grit 1 for 14 days.

Rinse, add grit 2, tumble for 5 days, ect.

The last step was a polishing grit.

Well, if anyone is still interested after this :D, make sure you check the directions before purchase. Ours only takes about a week, maybe a bit more, and it's just a regular ol' cheap one from Michaels.

We put it in the shed, but then the hard part is remembering it's there!

• 2 weeks later...