Menu

Would you question/call someone if.....

You lived in a town that you know is zoned for residential only and your new neighbors built a two story building right on your property line (still in their yard but they have 9 acres.....so they had plenty of other room to build!) and run a business out of it?

They have about 6 or 7 full time employees who drive back there every day. They have UPS and FedEx coming multiple times daily and since they built the dang building RIGHT at our property line, my dogs bark all day long at them.

But the biggest issue is that since they came, my internet is wonky. It goes out multiple times per day and we have to reset it. Our internet provider says it must be due to some electro-magnetic interference??????

Now they are building a paved road to go all the way to their back building.

I am sure they have invested a couple hundred thousand in this project, but I really wonder if or how it can be legal.

Would you call and ask?

Dawn

Your town will know whether or not they have gone throught he appropriate channels. If they haven't, you need to inform the town and request they intervene.

You lived in a town that you know is zoned for residential only and your new neighbors built a two story building right on your property line (still in their yard but they have 9 acres.....so they had plenty of other room to build!) and run a business out of it?

They have about 6 or 7 full time employees who drive back there every day. They have UPS and FedEx coming multiple times daily and since they built the dang building RIGHT at our property line, my dogs bark all day long at them.

But the biggest issue is that since they came, my internet is wonky. It goes out multiple times per day and we have to reset it. Our internet provider says it must be due to some electro-magnetic interference??????

I am sure they have invested a couple hundred thousand in this project, but I really wonder if or how it can be legal.

Would you call and ask?

Dawn

Depends.

Are you willing to do something about it?

I mean...if you find out that they've done this illegally, are you going to pursue the matter?

If not, then finding out about it is just going to tick you off over their breaking the law...at least, it would me.

If the area is zoned residential only, I would probably mention it. Do you talk to your neighbors at all? You could say something like, "It must have been a real pain to get the zoning changed on your property before you started your business! How did you manage to do that?"

Really, I am very laid back about these things, and very pro-small business owner, but operating a business like the one you are describing sounds disruptive to the neighborhood.

Can you make an arrangement with your neighbor to share internet?

The town should step in if they didn't get the proper permits.

Depends.

I mean...if you find out that they've done this illegally, are you going to pursue the matter?

If not, then finding out about it is just going to tick you off over their breaking the law...at least, it would me.

Would you call and ask?

Dawn

Yes, I would.

I am almost positive, but I would be asking this question.

There are no businesses in our town limits.

Dawn

Is the whole town zoned residential? Are you sure?

You can see if a building permit was approved for the building by calling town hall. Usually, building codes require distance from property lines unless a variance is granted.

Well, Dawn, you are not getting a residential experience presently, are you? THEY are potentially in the wrong. YOU are not doing anything wrong by asking the town for clarification.

Of course, I live in NJ. You have to get a permit to sneeze in this state! It colors my thinking on this.

Oy. But things like this don't surprise me anymore... We have an illegal club in our alley and I didn't call for that. But it also doesn't bother me. Ds can hear the bands when they're open, which is only every couple of weeks on the weekend. I think he sort of likes falling asleep to the music. City kids. And I can name so many illegal, unpermitted buildings... around here, they set the fees so high and the bureaucracy is so ludicrous that many people build illegally (it can increase your construction costs by severalfold to do it legally... our fence is actually illegal because it was going to cost about $1000 to do it with permits so we did it ourselves for about $150).

I would check the zoning. Then I would go talk to your neighbors. If it's really illegal (but maybe even if it's not) I'll bet they'd be super helpful in figuring out how to fix it for you! If it's bothering you beyond just the internet, then I think I'd call, as rotten as that is to do to someone.

Would you call and ask?

Dawn

Have you looked up the zoning codes for yourself to see what they allow? Businesses below a certain threshold or attached to a primary residence (which this doesn't sound like) have been allowed in different residential areas I have lived in or looked at property in.

Depends.

:iagree: with this. I would complain only if I intended to pursue it. I would not complain just to complain.

If you are serious, I would first call the town office, explain the concern and ask if a re-zoning and/or permits were issued to your neighbours. If they were, then you are probably out of luck. If they weren't, then I'd send a registered letter of complaint to the town demanding that they rectify the situation.

Be prepared, though, that the town may just retroactively re-zone the area, and nothing of significance will have been accomplished, except perhaps creating some ticked off neighbours.

IIWM, I'd complain and pursue it, but be prepared for disappointment.

I am almost positive, but I would be asking this question.

There are no businesses in our town limits.

Dawn

Then I would just ask town hall about building permits and variances for your neighbor's address and see what comes up. Then you would have to decide a course of action based on their response.

Another thought -- around here, anyone can apply for a variance, but all neighbors affected by it have to be notified by registered mail so they can attend the zoning hearing. Now, if a variance is granted, the grantee has 36 months in which to get going on whatever they planned. So, perhaps they were sitting on a variance in zoning that was valid for awhile. I'd still ask.

Knowing they were legit would help me feel better about the situation. You know, playing by the rules and all that. Also, I live 1/2 block from the commercial district in our town, so I'm not at all bothered by business being close by. However, I do like everyone playing by the set of rules that we, as a town, have agreed to use. :)

Contacting building department may enable you to have the law of the matter on your side but it will do zero for daily relations with your neighbor. Complaining to the neighbor may only aggravate the situation. Why not express your concerns to the neighbor and set up a meeting with them where you both come up with proposals on how to solve the problem. It maybe that your neighbors are so deep in the act of running and managing their business that they are completely unaware of their impact on others.

Would you call and ask?

Dawn

heck yeah. your city zoning and permit dept. (even if they got the zoning, they still need permits.)

Depends.

if they've done this illegally, the city will do something. (they like money, and if this is illegal, the city will get money from this.)

I had a neighbor (long since moved. hallelujah) upon whom we sicced the city . . . :);)

eta: while there are home based businessnes on my street - the city has limits upon how many employees can work out of the house and how much traffic the "business" invites. the most notable one (commerical diver) was run out of his basement shop which had back access and where heavy equipment was stored. He only rarely had more than one employee there. technically he wasn't allowed any heavy equipment in front. He did bring equipment around front for a few days at a time as he was setting it up to haul it out for a project.

Edited by gardenmom5

its lousy.

what is your goal?

- for them to take the building down?

- for them to move?

- for ????

what are the odds of accomplishing your goal?

what are some potential unexpected consequences?

if things get really awful, are you prepared to move?

its not right, its not fair, i'm not sure what will happen next.....

:grouphug:

ann

Hard call. I would hate to get crossways with the neighbors, but I'd probably report it anonymously if possible.

:iagree: People are not entitled to do whatever they want especially if it affects others. If they did something wrong, the city will take care of it... IF they know about it. You have to tell them.

I would because won't that affect your property value when you go to sell? Some people don't want to buy a house right next door to a business.

I definitely would not want a house next to a business.

The legality will depend upon what type of business it is... where we live, I can operate a business in my home (without a business license, too!). There are some limitations (such as, running an actual retail-store... and anything having to do with food involves the health department). However, my dh could run a carpentry business here (building/selling stuff), we could run an internet business here (shipping in and out), without anything extra. However, I can't have goats, cows, sheep, chickens or pigs. I can have a horse.

A building, though, has to meet code (permits, easements, etc.).

AH! Well, that might be how he is getting away with it!

He doesn't have any kind of retail store but he does ship things and takes orders.

He also has employees there, but maybe that doesn't matter.

As far as the building too close, I think he is ok, it is over 5 feet from our property line, but it is annoying because we moved here for privacy. People can see down into our house now if they are outside or looking out of one of the windows.......:glare:

Dawn

The legality will depend upon what type of business it is... where we live, I can operate a business in my home (without a business license, too!). There are some limitations (such as, running an actual retail-store... and anything having to do with food involves the health department). However, my dh could run a carpentry business here (building/selling stuff), we could run an internet business here (shipping in and out), without anything extra. However, I can't have goats, cows, sheep, chickens or pigs. I can have a horse.

A building, though, has to meet code (permits, easements, etc.).

Honestly, I don't know what my goal is. I hate rule breakers, but after Lisa posted I am wondering if they are actually following the rules.

They haven't done anything particular to bother me other than causing my dogs to go crazy and lots of construction and such. They are nice.

Dh also mentioned that the electro-magnetic issues may be because of a new cell tower that went up around the same time as their new building, so it may not be that at all.

Dawn

Why not start by asking them if they are having problems with their internet, too? Ask them if there's any equipment in their shop that might be interfering. No judgments - not meanly - just in a curious way.

I would reserve getting the govt involved in their business until such time as they were running their power saws at midnight and selling drugs out of the building. :)

Really, in this day and age, building permits, property taxes on commercial property and all the regulations and rigamarole around this stuff makes it just about impossible to run a business and stay in the black. Sounds to me like your neighbor is providing the pay to feed and house up to seven different families, who in their turn are spending money in your community to pay for goods and services and keep other families fed and clothed - know what I'm saying?

Why not start a healthy line of communication now so that as issues come up you can resolve them together without a bunch of suits getting in the middle of it.

I would want to at least find out. If they build a separate building for their business, I am not sure that will work when they are zoned residential.

A lot of places are zoned residential but still allow home based business. Usually there are some restrictions, though. Some of the restrictions will protect the look of the neighborhood (by not allowing signs, billboards, etc) and others will protect neighbors from business annoyances. There might be restrictions on the number of employees, for example. If they have six or seven full time employees, that doesn't sound right.

Any neighborhood disturbances can be annoying, though, and I sympathize. We had a neighbor do a major renovation this year, and there was CONSTANT traffic - sometimes a dozen cars or trucks related to the renovation. It was really aggravating.

Why not start by asking them if they are having problems with their internet, too? Ask them if there's any equipment in their shop that might be interfering. No judgments - not meanly - just in a curious way.

I would reserve getting the govt involved in their business until such time as they were running their power saws at midnight and selling drugs out of the building. :)

Really, in this day and age, building permits, property taxes on commercial property and all the regulations and rigamarole around this stuff makes it just about impossible to run a business and stay in the black. Sounds to me like your neighbor is providing the pay to feed and house up to seven different families, who in their turn are spending money in your community to pay for goods and services and keep other families fed and clothed - know what I'm saying?

Why not start a healthy line of communication now so that as issues come up you can resolve them together without a bunch of suits getting in the middle of it.

:iagree:

Well, I do want more privacy, but I think once they get the road finished I will get some more of that.

The trucks come in and out all day, so I can't control that or the dogs barking every*single*dang*time.

In the summer we will have the privacy, it is winter and the leaves are off the trees. Their building is not close to the house, just close to the fence line in the back of our yard. We have acreage so it isn't right on top of us. It just isn't what we wanted.

If I asked for a privacy fence it would need to be a very big/long one!

Dawn

See if he'll put up a privacy fence for you :D Or plant bamboo.

It depends upon what you WANT. Do you WANT to shut him down if it's illegal (that seems a big risk for the amount of expense he's put out) or do you just want more privacy?

Where I live, nobody could get away with building a 2 story building right on someone's property line. If a neighbor did that to me, I wouldn't even have to call the town. I swear there is a secret society of rule enforcers that sneak around at night with yard sticks.:D I probably would have called the town when they first started building if it was right on the line.

I don't know what the actual rules are here and I say they are right on the line a bit loosely. It is more like a few yards probably. Most likely RIGHT at the legal limit.

The person who lives on the other side of me is a retired guy who is like you are describing, he goes to every town hall meeting and knows everyone's business. I thought of asking him as he knows all the rules and laws around here and has turned in more than one neighbor so far!

Even though I technically live in a "neighborhood"we don't have an HOA and everyone has at least two acres of property.

Dawn

Where I live, nobody could get away with building a 2 story building right on someone's property line. If a neighbor did that to me, I wouldn't even have to call the town. I swear there is a secret society of rule enforcers that sneak around at night with yard sticks.:D I probably would have called the town when they first started building if it was right on the line.

Why not say something when the project first started?

That's what I've been wondering, too.

Why did you wait so long to check on this? If someone was erecting a large building right near my property line, you can bet I'd be the first one at the town hall to check to be sure all of their permits were in order, and to find out what the building was being used for.

I live in a town where you need a permit for EVERYTHING (even things like replacing some drywall inside your house,) and inspectors regularly drive around town, looking for infractions, so I can't imagine a place where an entire building could be constructed without a ton of permits and inspections.