Menu

Help me settle this eye color debate

Obviously, my dh and I have far too much free time. :tongue_smilie: But please help us settle this minor debate we have going.

Dh says that dd's eyes are hazel, and mine are brown. I say that my eyes are closer to hazel, and dd's are... er... I'm not entirely sure, really.

I spent the better part of the morning getting pictures. :D

Here's mine:

February12071.jpg

And here's dds:

February12073.jpg

What I can never get to show up in a picture is that dd's eyes have a sort of green tint- so they're like gray with a greenish hue.

So what says the Hive?

ETA: And feel free to add your own giant eyeball pictures for Hive clarification.

Edited by Mergath

I think yours are a brown/green hazel and your dd's are a blue/green hazel. ETA: Hmm. I thought hazel meant that the color varied but apparently it means varying from light green to gray brown. Don't know what a blue/green would actually be, but that's still my vote for your DD.

My eyes are very similar to yours and DH has often referred to them as brown. Don't know why it bothers me, but it does. (OK, I know why. Because he is wrong! :lol:) My three kids all have DH's blue eyes but I'm starting to wonder if a bit of green is creeping into them slowly and hazeling them up. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Your eyes look very similar to my daughter's eyes ... and I'm never sure whether her eyes are brown or hazel. Most people say she has brown eyes, but I think they are more hazel.

Your daughter's eyes I think are green-blue. They are very pretty and unique! They are similar to my green-eyed boy, with just more blue in them!

I think yours are a brown/green hazel and your dd's are a blue/green hazel. ETA: Hmm. I thought hazel meant that the color varied but apparently it means varying from light green to gray brown. Don't know what a blue/green would actually be, but that's still my vote for your DD.

:iagree: What she said. As far as I know (which may not be much :tongue_smilie:) there is more than one type of hazel.

That would explain why dh and I keep debating it. We're both right. :tongue_smilie:

Yep! Go celebrate that you were both right.

(when I was a Mary Kay consultant and we were doing makeovers, I'd always have to ask if it was brown/green hazel or blue/green hazel. That's the extent of my "knowledge" :lol:)

I'd call yours hazel and hers gray. Gray is a legitimate eye color. :)

wiki

Gray

100px-Mybluishgrayeye.JPG magnify-clip.png

A steel blue-gray iris

220px-Gray_eyes.jpg magnify-clip.png

True gray eyes

Like blue eyes, gray eyes have a dark epithelium at the back of the iris and a relatively clear stroma at the front. One possible explanation for the difference in the appearance of gray and blue eyes is that gray eyes have larger deposits of collagen in the stroma, so that the light that is reflected from the epithelium undergoes Mie scattering (which is not strongly frequency-dependent) rather than Rayleigh scattering (in which shorter wavelengths of light are scattered more). This would be analogous to the change in the color of the sky, from the blue given by the Rayleigh scattering of sunlight by small gas molecules when the sky is clear, to the gray caused by Mie scattering off large water droplets when the sky is cloudy.[46] Alternatively, it has been suggested that gray and blue eyes might differ in the concentration of melanin at the front of the stroma.[46]

Gray eyes are most common in Northern and Eastern Europe.[47] Gray eyes can also be found in parts of North West Africa (Aurès Mountains) among the Algerian Shawia people[48] and in the Middle East, most notably in Iran, Afghanistan (the Indo-Iranian Nuristani people), and Pakistan (the Kalasha, another Indo-Iranian people).[29][30][31] Under magnification, gray eyes exhibit small amounts of yellow and brown color in the iris.

A gray iris may indicate the presence of a uveitis. However, other visual signs make a uveitis obvious. Gray iris color, as well as blue, are at increased risk of uveal melanoma.[49]

According to wiki, your eyes are a light brown or amber and your dd's eyes are blue with perhaps some yellow around the iris which gives it a greenish hue. Hazel eyes are predominately a mixure of brown and green and often appear to shift between the two. Generally speaking there is more than one color present and often flakes, spokes or spots of different colors. Sometimes amber or gold eyes are referred to as hazel especially if not a uniform color. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color

Edited by KidsHappen

I think yours are hazel and your DD's are green-blue. I have the same color eyes as your DD. They look either more green or more blue according to what I'm wearing. I say I have green eyes. Some people say I have blue, but it's just because what I'm wearing at the time brings the blue out.

:iagree:

You both have pretty eyes :001_smile:.

I'd call yours hazel and hers gray. Gray is a legitimate eye color. :)

wiki

Huh. I've always said (and will probably continue to do so :D) I have blue eyes, but it never seemed quite right. My husband just calls them "stormy, cold, sea blue" :001_wub:.

The dictionary definition of hazel is "light golden or greenish-brown," not a mixture of any colors. At least that's what dictionary.com says and what I've always known. Mine look likeyours and they're hazel. ODS has es like your daughter. I call them greenish-blue or bluish-green.

I say yours are hazel. They don't have as much green as mine do which I consider hazel. Hazel is, as other have posted, light brown with green.

Your dd's eyes are green. I wouldn't call hers hazel.

At least your dh claims there is a such thing as hazel eye color. My dh vehemently states that there are only TWO possible eye colors....blue or brown. Drives me insane! Especially considering that his eyes are so very green, and he calls them blue. My eyes are mostly green with light brown flecks and he calls them brown. My oldest has my eyes, my red head has gray/amber eyes ( I really don't know how else to describe them....they are gray with flecks of color the same shade of red as his hair), and my youngest has deep brown eyes without a trace of any other color.

So the overall consensus for mine seems to be some variant of hazel, and for dd... er.... yeah. Bluish-greenish-grayish. :D

And thanks to everyone who said dd's eyes are pretty. I think so too. :001_smile:

Oh, and I'd love to see other people's eye pictures. I'm fascinated by eyes. So much variation.

I'd call yours hazel. I call all of the amber-colored variants hazel, though, so I may not have my facts straight. My eyes are like your daughter's. I have no idea what to put on forms. I tend to say they are green because my brothers have these very blue eyes. However, they're really bluish, greenish, grayish and what color gets picked up depends upon lighting, make-up, and what I'm wearing. If a person is filling in information about my eye color and they ask me, I tell THEM to decide. The results are split, but I have this theory that people with blue eyes think mine are green and everyone else considers them blue :D

ETA: the pic. Be kind. A redhead with a cold and no make-up makes for one scary naked eyeball photo

bc663c77.jpg

Edited by KungFuPanda

Your dd's eyes are like my dh and ds eyes. Ds was born with blue eyes and they changed to look like your dd's. Ds and Dh consider their eyes hazel.

Your eyes are close to brown to me, but true brown eyes are much darker.

My eyes are blue, but not a deep blue. The lady at the Clinique counter said my eyes were gray....... and my darker blonde hair "light brown." I think I like blonde hair, blue eyes better!

Thanks to the hive I have been educated about hazel eyes today!

My eyes look like the fourth one over in the top row of the spectrum of color list only the outer color is decidedly more blue. Sometimes my eyes look green, sometimes they look blue and sometimes they look teal.

Two of my dd's have brown eyes like the one that is the third one in on the bottom row. I always call those rosy brown. The rest of them have various shades of blue, very light blue, medium blue, dark sparkly blue - just blue though. No other colors. My hubby has olives eyes, most similar to the first one in the second row only leaning more towards an olive color.

I have seen very few people with bright green eyes but I have seen one person with gold eyes (like cat eyes) and one with violet eyes like Elizabeth Taylor. I find eyes fascinating.

Edited by KidsHappen

Your eyes are NOT Brown, Brown is BROWN, meaning no other colors other than light brown/dark brown, just brown maybe some goldy color...but yours are definitely HAZEL!

Your daughter's eyes are the exact color of my daughter's! We actually call them blue, because they were clearly blue at ages 1-9...when she hit around 10 they started getting the color flecks your daughter's has in the center..but the outer color is still bluish..I actually tell her it looks like a stone blue....really pretty....so until that outer color turns, I'd say blue eyed...if your outer color was brown, I'd call you brown eyed, but it's more greenish/hazel :)

Both beautiful!