Menu

Really?! You have to look? Well check question.

My point is that I didn't ask you to judge me or even if you did, it was not necessary to post it. I simply asked if this was normal for a pediatrician. I never had this exam as a child and it seems a lot of others here didn't either. Also, by this thread I'm finding out that others are going to health departments and clinics to avoid having their young child looked at. I don't think my child will have any kind of impression but thanks for your "opinion".

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that I didn't ask you to judge me or even if you did, it was not necessary to post it. I simply asked if this was normal for a pediatrician. I never had this exam as a child and it seems a lot of others here didn't either. Also, by this thread I'm finding out that others are going to health departments and clinics to avoid having their young child looked at. I don't think my child will have any kind of impression but thanks for your "opinion".

Your welcome.;)

I would encourage you to find a female doctor if the male doctor makes you uncomfortable, as this is a part of the body that does need to be checked as I understand it. As I said in my post, if our ped hadn't checked my boys "down there" then a medical condition that required an operation wouldn't have been discovered.

I'm not sure if that's true or not. A lot of people assumed you were talking about an internal exam. I'm pretty sure at least some of the "no way" posts were about that, not a brief external check.

My DH is a family practitioner that works at a county health clinic. I just asked him about this, and he said he usually doesn't check there unless he feels he could get some useful knowledge to justify the intrusion. He said some old-school docs were trained to do a *complete* medical exam on every patient though. He also said that the withholding of vaccines is, at best, bad bedside practice.

I'd be shopping around for someone else. My kids haven't been checked 'there' since they were babies. Though to be fair, our family doc knows what my DH does for a living.

I'm not sure if that's true or not. A lot of people assumed you were talking about an internal exam. I'm pretty sure at least some of the "no way" posts were about that, not a brief external check.

Right. I would say no way to an internal exam as well. A quick look see of every part of the body is fine though.

Just my two cents worth,...:)

My doctor has never even suggested doing a complete physical on my girls. I would say no if he did...my reason is that when I was a child, I had a "full" physical , and THAT left a negative impression on me :( I felt very violated. I know not everyone is the same, and every child is not the same.

I just think a mom should go with her gut on situations like this.

Neither way is "wrong", but one child may be more sensitive to a physical than another.

Hope this makes sense. Like I said, just my own opinion.

:iagree:

My doctor has never even suggested doing a complete physical on my girls. I would say no if he did...my reason is that when I was a child, I had a "full" physical , and THAT left a negative impression on me :( I felt very violated. I know not everyone is the same, and every child is not the same.

Neither way is "wrong", but one child may be more sensitive to a physical than another.

I know this thread has gotten long, but did you have a chance to read all of the replies- especially the follow-up by the OP? If by a "full" physical you mean an internal pelvic exam, no, the OP clarified later that wasn't what she intended to imply. She was referring to a brief external exam of the entire body.

This is sort of funny. Our pediatrician barely looks at the girls. He lifts the waist of their panties and that's it. And I don't feel that that's really enough. I don't mean for them to have a major internal/external exam, but I would feel a tad better if he at least pull the lips apart and take a quick look. Nothing major, just a quick look.

:iagree: There's a big, BIG difference between a pelvic exam and an external check of the genitals. An internal exam isn't necessary unless the child is having problems or is sexually active, but our pediatrician always takes a peek in the underpants during a well child visit.

I agree. Our ped does too, and he's always given the speech before as well. That said, I'd run far and fast from "required." No one gets to say what's required of my kids but me. Keep looking for another ped!

:iagree: There's a big, BIG difference between a pelvic exam and an external check of the genitals. An internal exam isn't necessary unless the child is having problems or is sexually active, but our pediatrician always takes a peek in the underpants during a well child visit.

:iagree: Same here. Just a quick peek lets the pediatrician know what stage of puberty the child is in.

I have never ever heard of doctors here doing an external check of the genitalia of that kind on children unless there was a problem - I come from a medical family and worked in a clinic in my high school and university years. Mind you, yearly well child exams are not normal after the baby and toddler years either.

It seems fairly typical of American medical practice to have that level of intrusion though, so in a way I am not surprised. I would not, however, be agreeing to it.

If the HPV vax was one that you were having done, I have read that the HPV vax greatly increases cancer risk of the individual already has HPV, so it should never be given to someone who might have HPV. This led me to wonder how they make sure of that. I guess a "full-body" check to see if a girl is sexually active might be part of that screening process. I've not heard of this, just putting two and two together in my mind.

I don't personally think they need looked at down there (after babyhood) unless they have some sort of symptom. But I'm not planning on getting the HPV vax, either.

I just can't imagine a 9 or 11 year old girl practically in stirrups for a well check.

Erm, if by "practically in stirrups", you mean an internal exam, then no, that's not normal.

If by "practically in stirrups" you mean a glance at externals, then I think "practically in stirrups" is a significant exaggeration/overreaction. :001_huh:

Is it possible that mom has something in her personal past that's problematic with regards to physical exams/health care? If so, I'd take particular care not to transmit that to my dd, who needs to keep a healthy attitude about her body.

A respectful glance would be what I would expect from a new doc that I hoped would form a working knowledge in caring for my kid's body.

I don't think the labia minora are considered internal organs, but usually it requires more than just peeking from the tops of the undies in order to see them. I can certainly understand why being comfortable with the doctor and understanding what it's about would go a long way to making this less weird. I think things like this can sound -- and be -- intrusive, but there are health issues here such as adhesions and other issues that may cause problems at the onset of menstruation if not before.

Yes, I did assume that. A perfunctory external exam isn't quite the same thing, and my daughters have had that done, albeit when they were infants. Also, as other posters pointed out, having a complete physical is normal when you become a new patient.

That said, our family doctor didn't require a complete [gyno] exam for me when accepting us as new patients, so I'm still surprised at the suggestion of a thorough exam for an older child, even if it isn't internal. A physical involves cholesterol checks, blood pressure, weight, etc. Ob/gyn stuff is usually reserved for a specialized office and physician.

I don't think a doc should be doing those sorts of exams after babyhood, unless there is reason to do so. Reasons like a parental concern, a rash, or suspicion of child abuse. I think having genitals touched and prodded while lying naked and spread eagled would be quite traumatic for a child. I have 3 children older than yours and no well child check has included this.

I don't think a doc should be doing those sorts of exams after babyhood, unless there is reason to do so. Reasons like a parental concern, a rash, or suspicion of child abuse. I think having genitals touched and prodded while lying naked and spread eagled would be quite traumatic for a child. I have 3 children older than yours and no well child check has included this.

If you read all the posts, most people are referring to a quick peek. No poking or prodding at all.

I wouldn't necessarily balk at an external exam although I would probably ask it not be in stirrups. I believe they use the external exam to monitor for signs of onset of puberty or early puberty, which is a bigger concern these days. Hitting puberty very early can sometimes lead to a child developing shorter stature, or can be indicative of something like PCOS or other endocrine disorders.

If you read all the posts, most people are referring to a quick peek. No poking or prodding at all.

I did read them. The op described an exam in which a child between 9 and 11 is required to undress and lie, with knees apart while the doc touches and spreads the labia. I think this sort of exam is uncalled for in a healthy adolescent with no genital concerns. It's more than a quick peek imo, I can imagine some children would find this traumatic. My children were never asked to undergo an exam of this type.

Originally Posted by LindsayLamb

Just my two cents worth,...

My doctor has never even suggested doing a complete physical on my girls. I would say no if he did...my reason is that when I was a child, I had a "full" physical , and THAT left a negative impression on me I felt very violated. I know not everyone is the same, and every child is not the same.

To the person who wrote this, I wonder (though I don't expect you to answer).......

Were you prepared ahead of time by your parent what an exam entails, what is looked at, and why? Did the doctor take similar care and time?

I am sorry you view it as ugly. It was not intended to be mean spirited. The fact is that the original post and the follow up post has the hallmarks of someone that is very uncomfortable with reproductive body parts. Denying a full external physical to a child because the mom is uncomfortable will most certainly stick with that child later in life.

What a strange view!

I live in a country that doesn't require these kinds of exams.And where the majority of the people would think a dr would be some kind of pervert to require all children to have these kinds of exams all the time! When a baby is checked at 6 weeks, surely any deformities would be picked up. why keep checking :confused:

I have never ever heard of doctors here doing an external check of the genitalia of that kind on children unless there was a problem - I come from a medical family and worked in a clinic in my high school and university years. Mind you, yearly well child exams are not normal after the baby and toddler years either.

It seems fairly typical of American medical practice to have that level of intrusion though, so in a way I am not surprised. I would not, however, be agreeing to it.

Same here in Australia, and you know what, we haven't suffered any strange diseases for lack of intrusive checks.

What a strange view!

I live in a country that doesn't require these kinds of exams.And where the majority of the people would think a dr would be some kind of pervert to require all children to have these kinds of exams all the time! When a baby is checked at 6 weeks, surely any deformities would be picked up. why keep checking :confused:

Well, I'm not a HUGE fan or supporter of well child checks in general. But to answer your question, I can totally see the need to establish a protocol for new pediatric patients.

I think the creep meter on this thread is warped.

You know, I was thinking about the whole 'well child check' thing recently... do most people (in America, anyway) take their kids to the doctor once a year forever? When did that become common practice?

I've always taken my kids once a year, but I was thinking the other day that I really don't remember going to the doctor for a span of quite a few years when I was younger, except when I was sick. I'm just wondering when that phased out (because, knowing my Grandma, if it would have been recommended that we go every year from birth to 18, we would have! ;) ) and the new norm became every year? And why?

(Sorry, not trying to hijack...)

Oh, and OP - I totally understand your feelings on this. :grouphug: Maybe a female doctor? Or maybe it isn't really all that necessary at all? I really don't know. Just wanted to let you know I feel for ya. :)

You know, I was thinking about the whole 'well child check' thing recently... do most people (in America, anyway) take their kids to the doctor once a year forever? When did that become common practice?

I've always taken my kids once a year, but I was thinking the other day that I really don't remember going to the doctor for a span of quite a few years when I was younger, except when I was sick. I'm just wondering when that phased out (because, knowing my Grandma, if it would have been recommended that we go every year from birth to 18, we would have! ;) ) and the new norm became every year? And why?

If kids are playing sports, they have to have a physical every year. Otherwise, our ped says yearly until 9 or 10, then every other year. Eye sight screenings are good reason to go yearly, since vision can change a lot in the pre-teen and teen years.

If kids are playing sports, they have to have a physical every year. Otherwise, our ped says yearly until 9 or 10, then every other year. Eye sight screenings are good reason to go yearly, since vision can change a lot in the pre-teen and teen years.

We didn't have ds go every year until he started having headaches. His are migraines not related to vision problems, but it did turn out that he has minor near-sightedness. So now he goes every year for a well check, including eye exam.

(Sorry, not trying to hijack...)

Oh, and OP - I totally understand your feelings on this. :grouphug: Maybe a female doctor? Or maybe it isn't really all that necessary at all? I really don't know. Just wanted to let you know I feel for ya. :)

My kids don't go for well-checks every year. I don't see the point and our ped. is okay with it. And when they do go for well-checks, they are fully clothed the whole time.

...I think the creep meter on this thread is warped.

My creep meter is always in overdrive, and it will remain that way until my children are safely into adulthood. ;)

It has nothing to do with my personal comfort level with sexuality and reproduction; it does have to do with being cautious about the when, who and how my children's bodies are accessed. Professionals don't have unfettered access simply because they are, well, professionals. There has to be a good reason. If it isn't necessary, we aren't going to do it. Of course, if there is a necessity, I will be comfortable with it and as casual as possible for the sake of keeping my children at ease. And I will be in the room watching with eagle eyes to make sure everything is done professionally and gently.

Parents should ask "Why?" and ask for details anytime there's an invasion of their child's personal boundaries--boundaries we want them to have for their own protection.

I'm still iffy on whether this is truly "normal", even if we aren't talking about an internal exam. Our girls were examined as infants for labial fusion and have never had their genitalia touched or examined by any pediatrician since then. My ds was examined as an infant, and perhaps as a small toddler, but not in any recent appointments. I've never been required to have a gyno exam upon going to a new doctor, so why would my children need to have that done?

My creep meter is always in overdrive, and it will remain that way until my children are safely into adulthood. ;)

It has nothing to do with my personal comfort level with sexuality and reproduction; it does have to do with being cautious about the when, who and how my children's bodies are accessed. Professionals don't have unfettered access simply because they are, well, professionals. There has to be a good reason. If it isn't necessary, we aren't going to do it. Of course, if there is a necessity, I will be comfortable with it and as casual as possible for the sake of keeping my children at ease. And I will be in the room watching with eagle eyes to make sure everything is done professionally and gently.

Parents should ask "Why?" and ask for details anytime there's an invasion of their child's personal boundaries--boundaries we want them to have for their own protection.

I'm still iffy on whether this is truly "normal", even if we aren't talking about an internal exam. Our girls were examined as infants for labial fusion and have never had their genitalia touched or examined by any pediatrician since then. My ds was examined as an infant, and perhaps as a small toddler, but not in any recent appointments. I've never been required to have a gyno exam upon going to a new doctor, so why would my children need to have that done?

:iagree: This exactly. And FWIW I don't allow my DD alone with a dentist either.

It makes no sense to me that teach a child that that part of you is private and for you and your future spouse, and then turn right around and say you have to show is to this person simply because they are a medical person.

:iagree:

At 11 years old, I can't imagine this. I mean, kids are so super self conscious at that age. I can remember being worried about having to get a shot in the butt because that seemed like the absolute most embarrassing thing ever... for someone to see the top of your bottom. It's overly intrusive in my book.

:iagree: Everyone here knows that I don't have hang-ups about normal body functions, human sexuality, or seeing dr.s. I am very open with my dds and my dr. and he is very open with them. They haven't had a genital check since they were newborns nor can I think of a logical reason for them to have one as a matter of practice. A dr. can't learn anything from a quick genital peek that he could learn from a quick glance at a girls chest or underarms. The exceeding rarity of any problem that a dr. could learn about by touching the labia or spreading them (after newborn exam) would not justify the invasion of every child's privacy. If a child is having a problem then either the child or the parent can report it to the dr. and it can be dealt with as necessary then. If they are just looking for signs of sexual abuse, then that is definitely not the best way to go about it. The creep factor is high because there is no good reason for a person to look at your child's genitals as standard opperating practice. I am absolutely amazed at the number of women on this board that think it is a good idea just because. :confused: Because why? What exactly is it the dr. is looking for? Do you even know? Have you ever asked? A large majority of American children do not have standard genital checks and I have yet to hear of a public health crisis that could have been avoided by checking every child's genitals. I am glad that my dr. agree with me on this matter (although to tell the truth he would not be my dr. if he did not).

Edited by KidsHappen

:iagree: Everyone here knows that I don't have hang-ups about normal body functions, human sexuality, or seeing dr.s. I am very open with my dds and my dr. and he is very open with them. They haven't had a genital check since they were newborns nor can I think of a logical reason for them to have one as a matter of practice. A dr. can't learn anything from a quick genital peek that he could learn from a quick glance at a girls chest or underarms. The exceeding rarity of any problem that a dr. could learn about by touching the labia or spreading them (after newborn exam) would not justify the invasion of every child's privacy. If a child is having a problem then either the child or the parent can report it to the dr. and it can be dealt with as necessary then. If they are just looking for signs of sexual abuse, then that is definitely not the best way to go about it. The creep factor is high because there is no good reason for a person to look at your child's genitals as standard opperating practice. I am absolutely amazed at the number of women on this board that think it is a good idea just because. :confused: Because why? What exactly is it the dr. is looking for? Do you even know? Have you ever asked? A large majority of American children do not have standard genital checks and I have yet to hear of a public health crisis that could have been avoided by checking every child's genitals. I am glad that my dr. agree with me on this matter (although to tell the truth he would not be my dr. if he did not).

I know of two boys that would not have died from testicular cancer if their doctor had done routine checks. I know of one girl that had a cancerous mole that a quick visual check would have discovered. It is rare, but it does happen.

ETA: the boys were teens 16 ish and 17 ish. Both received yearly physicals for sports.

I haven't been able to tell on this thread if the negative reactions to the doctor's examination are amplified because the patient is a girl, and if so, why. Both my boys have had their genital areas checked in their periodic physicals (no longer once a year because they are older), and the physicals are when we discuss immunization updates (before the shots are given). Both of my sons' hernias were discovered during these examinations, and I was very glad. It didn't occur to me that it was problematic to have the doctor do such an examination. All our doctors seem very good explaining about why they are doing things.

We do well child visits every year until 8 and then every other year. I have a yearly phone call with the nurse to go over our Asthma plan. Pretty standard around here.

My daughter did have something picked up at her 3 year exam. Our doctor told us, 99% of the time it resolves it resolves itself. However he has had 2 patients where it didn't and they had to have an uncomfortable procedure in their early teens. The treatment at 3 has no risk, so he prefers to treat it when he finds it. My dh and I had to put a cream in a certain spot for 2 weeks, and it was done. (I am comfortable with the words, I am not putting them in for a search engine to find)

So, yes it is normal. However, it really is important to feel comfortable with your doctor. Have you read Protecting the Gift? It has a great chapter about interviewing doctors. I love our pediatrician, I don't know what I will do when he retires. I have complete faith in him, and his wonderful nurse. If you chose to sign on with a clinic rather than go to the vaccination clinics, interview. You want someone that you trust in case something out of the ordinary medically happens. Someone who is your child's advocate and will steer you through the maze of specialists should you ever need to go that route.

Best of luck!

I know of two boys that would not have died from testicular cancer if their doctor had done routine checks. I know of one girl that had a cancerous mole that a quick visual check would have discovered. It is rare, but it does happen.

ETA: the boys were teens 16 ish and 17 ish. Both received yearly physicals for sports.

Extremely rare. As I said, certainly not enough to justify looking at every child's genitals. At that age the boys themselves should have noticed anything unusual and reported it. My hubby had a double hernia at age 8 and was perfectly capable of explaining it in such a matter that they had him in for surgery within 24 hours.

You didn't say how old the girl was but I personally kept an eye on my dds until they were 6 or 7 and then explained to them to let me know if they ever saw anything anywhere that was unusual, different than normal, new, painful, uncomfortable, etc.

There is no way to know if a mole is cancerous with a quick visual check. I have had to have a few biopsied and removed as has my hubby. Not even a dermatologist can tell just by looking at them. I also had cervical cancer. Once again, dr. couldn't tell just by looking. It required a pap and then a cystoscopy and then a biopsy.

A quick look doesn't tell a dr. anything and anything more than that is more invasive that the risk/benefit ratio would favor. The is simply no good reason to look at a child's genitals just because (without good cause).

The big difference between the girl/boy thing is that with a boy it is drop pants check...this dr is asking a young girl to take off all of her clothes leaving her to feel unprotected, possibly without control. It is a very uncomfortable position to be a room with a backless robe. I hate the feeling at my yearly how would a young girl feel to be practically naked then told spread em, even if it is just an external check. Now I would understand a dr having a girl pull down her pants for a check but the loss of dignity and control in a backless piece of paper as a young teenager, I don't think that is appropriate.

The big difference between the girl/boy thing is that with a boy it is drop pants check...this dr is asking a young girl to take off all of her clothes leaving her to feel unprotected, possibly without control. It is a very uncomfortable position to be a room with a backless robe. I hate the feeling at my yearly how would a young girl feel to be practically naked then told spread em, even if it is just an external check. Now I would understand a dr having a girl pull down her pants for a check but the loss of dignity and control in a backless piece of paper as a young teenager, I don't think that is appropriate.

I guess I'm not sure I'm following. My son had a recent physical. He was in a backless gown. The doctor checked all sort of things but at one point had him lay down, lifted up the gown and looked at his genitals. That was how his hernia was discovered when he was 3. I'm sure it was somewhat embarrassing but probably he disliked the shots more. I'll ask him tonight.

I am sorry you view it as ugly. It was not intended to be mean spirited. The fact is that the original post and the follow up post has the hallmarks of someone that is very uncomfortable with reproductive body parts. Denying a full external physical to a child because the mom is uncomfortable will most certainly stick with that child later in life.

You are really reading a LOT into her intentions. I think she simply thought it was odd and over the top for the limited scope of the visit.

My kids have never seen a ped, always a family doctor, the same one who has taken care of my generation of family as well as my family of origin.

I'm really happy about that right now. My daughter has never been subjected to this because it simply isn't necessary yet. Yes, he looked at her as a baby and young child, and all was well structurally, and all is still well.

When the kid reaches middle school, the teams require a sports physical as a requirement of playing. So while we did not have to take our kids a lot in childhood, as they were rarely ill, thank God, I now have to take them every summer for a sports physical.

I guess I'm not sure I'm following. My son had a recent physical. He was in a backless gown. The doctor checked all sort of things but at one point had him lay down, lifted up the gown and looked at his genitals. That was how his hernia was discovered when he was 3. I'm sure it was somewhat embarrassing but probably he disliked the shots more. I'll ask him tonight.

Yeah... I keep thinking how having an external exam was how my ds's hernia was discovered. I had seen it but didn't know what I was seeing and forgot to bring it up. And while he was too young to say anything about it, I can easily imagine that even at an age when he was old enough, that he might not have said anything or might not have realized it wasn't normal. After all, such a condition isn't painful for most young children.

I guess I just don't feel any sense of shame or suspicion about a medical practitioner - especially when I'm in the room! - seeing my kids' genitals. Obviously a lot of the people in this thread do though.

I think those of us who have had things discovered have a different sense of the costs and benefits of 'invasive' treatments.

Incidentally I was just reading that the most lethal form of cancer in sub Saharan African women is cervical cancer. It too involves embarassing and invasive examinations. As does colon cancer. But avoiding looking "down there" at all costs does have repercussions. It really does.

A few posters have mentioned a quick peek to see what stage of puberty a child is at. Why does a doctor need to know in this case? The OP stated a girl between 9-11. That is a typical age to be showing some signs (or not), so signs of early puberty would not be a reason for looking. Why then? I'm confused.:confused:

I think those of us who have had things discovered have a different sense of the costs and benefits of 'invasive' treatments.

Incidentally I was just reading that the most lethal form of cancer in sub Saharan African women is cervical cancer. It too involves embarassing and invasive examinations. As does colon cancer. But avoiding looking "down there" at all costs does have repercussions. It really does.

But, this doesn't even matter because neither of these types of cancers are caught by looking at external parts.