Menu

So mad about Dole 100% juice in the refrigerated section...

I bought this today for ds for a treat and the kids each had two glasses and I had one for lunch and all of a sudden the carton was almost empty....

I looked and it said *59* ounces....in a 64 ounce container!!!

I've seen containers shrinking but this was the first time I've seen LESS in a full size container.

I bought this today for ds for a treat and the kids each had two glasses and I had one for lunch and all of a sudden the carton was almost empty....

I've seen containers shrinking but this was the first time I've seen LESS in a full size container.

That's really weird! I would never think to check the ounces on a normal sized carton. That makes a huge difference if one is figuring price per ounce.

It seems like it must be new, the Dole website still has chilled juices listed as 64 ounces.

Good to know to be on the lookout...thanks for posting.

and watch your unit pricing. I have noticed a couple of times that the 'economy size' cost more per ounce than the smaller package.

:iagree: And many times, the store brand is more expensive than the name brand. I'm tired of having to use my calculator on everything!

BTW, I agree with the Oreos that Lara in Co mentioned. I bought a package before Christmas and not only were there fewer of them because of a redesigned tray, but the package was smaller, the COOKIES were smaller, and they cost more than before!! I was *not* a happy camper!

Okay, here's a weird one -- I think they're putting less tea in the teabags, too.

I make iced tea fairly often, same formula every time (ie, same amount of water, same number of tea bags, same steeping time). I use the Great Value brand decaf tea bags. The last two batches I've made were very weak. I also noticed this when brewing one cup at a time. Seems like one tea bag could make a reasonably strong 8 oz mug of tea. Now if I use more than 6 oz of water, the tea is weak.

I am glad you started this thread. I thought about posting my tea bag observation yesterday but I was afraid y'all would think I was crazy.

and watch your unit pricing. I have noticed a couple of times that the 'economy size' cost more per ounce than the smaller package.

I noticed that about eggs last week. Buying a dozen is cheaper than buying five dozen at my local Safeway while five dozen is cheaper at Costco (though I hate Costco's packaging).

I noticed a few months ago that my Reese's Peanut Butter Cups shrank some. :001_huh:

Seriously, you need to make this recipe. It tastes just like Reese's cups; I've had several Reese's lovers say they are better. It is super easy (20 minutes tops). No baking and can be done with one pot. I melt the butter on the stove and then mix in the rest of the peanut butter mixture in that pot using my hands (it's easier). Then I press the mixture into a 9x13 pan lined with foil. Then I use the same pot to melt the chocolate chips. Cut the bars after you spread the chocolate but before the chocolate sets. You can speed up the setting time by placing them in the fridge or freezer.

yeah, last week dh showed me a Stater Bros ad for Minute Maid carton juice on sale, I like punch once in a while...it was a really good price, but suspicious I looked at the oz, and yes, it was smaller than the regular size we already had in the fridge. I figure they are testing it out on sale and then will switch to the smaller size at the normal price. :glare:

It's really hard affording food for a family these days...

I've had several Reese's lovers say they are better. It is super easy (20 minutes tops). No baking and can be done with one pot. I melt the butter on the stove and then mix in the rest of the peanut butter mixture in that pot using my hands (it's easier). Then I press the mixture into a 9x13 pan lined with foil. Then I use the same pot to melt the chocolate chips. Cut the bars after you spread the chocolate but before the chocolate sets. You can speed up the setting time by placing them in the fridge or freezer.

Sounds SINFUL!!! May have to try this one sometime!

I guess if we don't buy juice, cereal, candy bars, or ice cream we might survive! (I actually very rarely buy those.)

But toilet paper--that we can't live without!

I actually buy many things by the case when they are at a good price, store them in my spare basement bedroom or freezer, and shop from there. It has helped our grocery bill tremendously.

I hate it when the manufacturers get sneaky. It's insulting. How dumb do I look?

Thank you for the heads up!

This made me laugh because I recently saw an old ad {online} for "splinter free toilet paper"! No, really .. :lol:

And, while I feel your pain, I have to say this entire thread made me giggle.. I won't tell you the horrible price I pay for eggs, juice, milk, & butter in my tiny neck of the woods..

I noticed that about eggs last week. Buying a dozen is cheaper than buying five dozen at my local Safeway while five dozen is cheaper at Costco (though I hate Costco's packaging).

Seriously, you need to make this recipe. It tastes just like Reese's cups; I've had several Reese's lovers say they are better. It is super easy (20 minutes tops). No baking and can be done with one pot. I melt the butter on the stove and then mix in the rest of the peanut butter mixture in that pot using my hands (it's easier). Then I press the mixture into a 9x13 pan lined with foil. Then I use the same pot to melt the chocolate chips. Cut the bars after you spread the chocolate but before the chocolate sets. You can speed up the setting time by placing them in the fridge or freezer.

thanks! I am off to try these!:D

I guess if we don't buy juice, cereal, candy bars, or ice cream we might survive! (I actually very rarely buy those.)

I actually buy many things by the case when they are at a good price, store them in my spare basement bedroom or freezer, and shop from there. It has helped our grocery bill tremendously.

I hate it when the manufacturers get sneaky. It's insulting. How dumb do I look?

In response to your first line, I'd actually be thinner if I did that! :D

To the second, I agree! ;)

To the third, you don't need a basement AND a spare bedroom - hand one over, please! WE're seriously short on space over here! :lol:

To the fourth, it IS insulting, but evidently, we do look dumb to the manufacturers. But how do we change that perception is the better question.

This made me laugh because I recently saw an old ad {online} for "splinter free toilet paper"! No, really .. :lol:

And, while I feel your pain, I have to say this entire thread made me giggle.. I won't tell you the horrible price I pay for eggs, juice, milk, & butter in my tiny neck of the woods..

Splinter free toilet paper? Reminds me of the time my mom had to go back to Farm & Fleet (just a couple of years ago) to return toilet paper because the package had woodchips in it! :confused:

And you're right, you Aussies have to pay WAY more than we do for even the basic necessities. We really shouldn't be complaining, should we?

It seems like the rolls of toilet paper have gotten shorter, too!

It depends on the brand. Due to some emergencies, we have several brands at home. :tongue_smilie: Our Kirkland rolls are 1/2 inch longer, with a noticeably smaller diameter cardboard tube, than the rolls of Quilted Northern. :glare: We usually buy TP from Whole Foods, so I'll have to compare their size next time. I would not buy Quilted Northern again.

I've noticed packaging shrinking a lot in recent years with prices staying the same, and the family size items often being more expensive. It's sad but I've been reading about how the price of food globally is skyrocketing and it's just going up by degrees now....

Literally every single time I shop I notice increases in price / decreases in size. It is really, really discouraging.

One example off the top of my head: a certain canned food that I've bought for years and years, and has always been about $0.45, went to $0.80 a couple months ago and has stayed there. The "store brand" of the same item is $0.76.

Baby wipes have gotten tiny, and I also noticed the toilet paper shrinkage.

I am really concerned about this level of inflation.

AuntieM, we stopped buying Great Value decaf tea altogether because we had numerous occasions where there were only 22 or 23 tea bags in the box instead of 24. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were shorting each bag as well.

My biggest beef is with all the paper products. WHY can nothing have a standard size?!? Just the other day, I spent 10 minutes determining which box of Kleenex to buy. I thought I'd go ahead and splurge on the 8-pack, and just send in a few boxes to ds's school, when at the last second, I thought to look at the tissue count. There were way fewer tissues in each box of the 8-pack, compared to the same brand's 3-pack. I would have wound up paying nearly $5 more for about 200 tissues! ARRRRGH. The boxes were the same size and everything.

Don't even get me started on trying to find the best price for paper towels. :glare: If dh wasn't addicted, I'd happily do without them altogether.

AuntieM, we stopped buying Great Value decaf tea altogether because we had numerous occasions where there were only 22 or 23 tea bags in the box instead of 24. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were shorting each bag as well.

My biggest beef is with all the paper products. WHY can nothing have a standard size?!? Just the other day, I spent 10 minutes determining which box of Kleenex to buy. I thought I'd go ahead and splurge on the 8-pack, and just send in a few boxes to ds's school, when at the last second, I thought to look at the tissue count. There were way fewer tissues in each box of the 8-pack, compared to the same brand's 3-pack. I would have wound up paying nearly $5 more for about 200 tissues! ARRRRGH. The boxes were the same size and everything.

Don't even get me started on trying to find the best price for paper towels. :glare: If dh wasn't addicted, I'd happily do without them altogether.

Yes! Validation! And I thought I was going crazy fixating on my shrifted tea bags! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I hear ya on the paper products. I have to use the calculator function on my phone to comparison shop those. And I have just about stopped buying paper towels. DH gets a roll or two for the garage, but I rarely buy them anymore. I'm washing more rags & dish towels these days, though.

Okay, here's a weird one -- I think they're putting less tea in the teabags, too.

I make iced tea fairly often, same formula every time (ie, same amount of water, same number of tea bags, same steeping time). I use the Great Value brand decaf tea bags. The last two batches I've made were very weak. I also noticed this when brewing one cup at a time. Seems like one tea bag could make a reasonably strong 8 oz mug of tea. Now if I use more than 6 oz of water, the tea is weak.

I am glad you started this thread. I thought about posting my tea bag observation yesterday but I was afraid y'all would think I was crazy.

DH uses GV tea as well; he's complained recently he's using 2 bags for a mug.

Has anyone noticed a difference in coffee? About a month ago, I started thinking that our coffee didn't taste right. I cleaned both coffeemakers with white vinegar several times but it still doesn't taste like it used to. Then I remembered a couple years ago, several companies changed to cheaper ingredients in ice cream, so I wonder if they're changing the way they make coffee and other things to cut costs, too.

Has anyone noticed a difference in coffee? About a month ago, I started thinking that our coffee didn't taste right. I cleaned both coffeemakers with white vinegar several times but it still doesn't taste like it used to. Then I remembered a couple years ago, several companies changed to cheaper ingredients in ice cream, so I wonder if they're changing the way they make coffee and other things to cut costs, too.

:iagree:

I've noticed this about coffee! It doesn't seem to be brand specific either.

I have also noticed smaller Oreos and peanut butter cups. Don't even get me started on tea and napkins. :glare: