Religion- New Testament, catechism

Foreign language- continue with French and Latin. Programs tbd

Fine arts- piano and weekly composer and artist study

Anyone else?:bigear:

We just started 3rd grade in Jan. Here's what we're doing:

Math - Singapore 3A

L.A. - WWE3, R&S English 3 and spelling 4

History - VP self-paced New Testament, Greece, & Rome

Science - MP Astronomy and RSO Earth & Space (as a family)

Literature - VP grade 3 list

Latin - Latina Christiana I

Geography - MP States & Capitals

That's the core of our week. We are trying to add in piano, but it's been a no-go so far. Maybe next month...

I am pretty clear about what my 3rd grader will be doing next year:

Rod and Staff 3rd grade math, spelling, english, penmanship, possibly music worksheets. Dictation and copywork added by me.

Prima Latina

SOTW vol. 1 and A.G. for mapwork, reading lists, with narrations and project ideas. I will add Complete Book of Maps and Geography.

Science: life science. Will be similar to WTM 1st grade science since she hasn't had it yet.

Art: We may still be finishing up Drawing with Children. We are about to start chapter 5 After that we will learn about art through our history studies, try our hand with SOTW projects, and read from What Your X Grader Needs to Know

Music: continue piano with Alfred's, and appreciation from What Your X Grader Needs to Know (don't which vol. yet!)

Memory work: math facts, grammar lists, poetry, Bible verses. I don't know what for history yet. I really don't see the point in the Egyptian pharoahs names as listed in WTM :) The year my oldest did ancients we started on the presidents instead. We are doing that this year w/my 2nd grader, so I haven't chosen a history list for her yet.

Bible: she has specifically requested that I add in Bible for her. I am thinking Memoria Press Christian Studies w/both of mine.

I'll have my first third grader next year.

Language Arts: MCT LA Island Level + literature

CW-Aesop A

AAS finish 4/start 5

Math: finish RightStart C & Singapore 2A/2B, then start Beast Academy

History: Ancient Egypt

Science: MPH 3/4

Latin: Latina Christiana 1 & Minimus Secundus

Spanish: La Clase Divertida 2

Faith Formation: various resources

Art: Artistic Pursuits K-3 book 2

We started third grade work in January with:

Math Mammoth 3

Galore Park Junior English 2

All About Spelling 2/3

WWE 2

The Complete Book of United States History (with supplemental literature)

The Complete Book of Maps & Geography

Intellego Astronomy grades 3-5

Galore Park Junior Science 2

Getting Started with Spanish

cursive handwriting by Teach Me Joy

I keep trying and failing to implement piano practice and Meet the Masters.

We started third grade work in January with:

Math Mammoth 3

Galore Park Junior English 2

All About Spelling 2/3

WWE 2

The Complete Book of United States History (with supplemental literature)

The Complete Book of Maps & Geography

Intellego Astronomy grades 3-5

Galore Park Junior Science 2

Getting Started with Spanish

cursive handwriting by Teach Me Joy

I keep trying and failing to implement piano practice and Meet the Masters.

Can you tell me about galore park's English? I'd love some information about that level and the assignments. :bigear:

LA: MCT if we can find a way to afford it, otherwise R&S3 and WWE2

Cursive: continuing Cheerful Cursive

Literature: various read-alouds and read-alones

Math: Singapore finish 2B and at least 3A, maybe part of 3B

History/Geography/Science: Expedition Earth with animal study and some extra climate/habitat resources added in. Also Audiomemory world geography

Bible: Independent study of AWANA books, missionary and Christian hero books from MFW ECC, individual quiet time

Foreign Language: Thai via immersion (we're moving to Chiang Mai in September)

Memory Work: various poems, scripture passages, hymns, history & science facts

Logic: Undecided (currently working on Logic Countdown and waiting for Logic Safari to be in stock at Amazon, any suggestions on what would come next?)

Math - Singapore 3A/B, Saxon 54, Life Of Fred E, F, G

Science - Apologia Zoology 1, Burgess Bird Book, Fabre's Insects

English - Galore Park Junior English 2, MCT Grammar Island & Practice Island, Pentime 4 & 5, Literature list, Typing

History - Galore Park Junior History 1, Strauss's Ancient Egypt & Ancient China, D'Aulaire's Greek Myths, Sutcliff's Iliad & Odyssey

Geography - online

Latin - online

gymnastics

Our grade level is kind of mixed up, but DD will officially be 3rd grade in the fall. Here is what I have planned:

Bible: Bible Foundations NT

Latin: GSWL & either SSL or Prima Latina...I have both so I will figure it out later

Math: Finish TT3 then Saxon 5/4. Plus Miquon math labs for review and LOF mixed in our read alouds. Daily Word Problems

Spanish: GSWS & SOS elementary Spanish, misc. DVDs

LA: Finish LLATL yellow then start FLL 3/WWE2(we weren't ready for these this year), Beginning Word Roots, Pictures in Cursive

Reading: leveled readers 3/week. Plus 30min/day free reading...mostly chapter books like Magic Tree House

Logic: Mix of games and worksheets covering analogies, deductive reasoning, and spatial/visual skills.

History: SOTW 3 & AG, The Light & the Glory and From Sea to Shining Sea for American history.

Geography: Daily Geog, Scrambled States of America game, Geopuzzle - world

Science: Christian Kids Chemistry and Apologia Zoology 1, Burgess Bird Book.

Literature: tons of read alouds that go along with our history/science

Art: Come Look With Me, Draw & Write History, Drawing Textbook

I just ordered most of our curriculum. I can't wait to start going through everything and planning!

I'm still in just the beginning stages of planning third grade but so far:

History - SOTW3 & AG

- Plus American History (w/???)

Science - Mr. Q's Chemistry

Geography - American States (w/???)

Math - Singapore (will probably be at 2B and 3A), MM, LOF

LA - WWE3, FLL4, AAS(probably at 3 or 4), MCT (the whole level 1 kit)

Latin - Lively Latin or GSWL???

Art: Artistic Pursuits, Picture Study

Music: ???

During summer we do lite history and LA. This year I'll continue math through summer to help catch up. I also wanted to start cursive and keyboarding this summer.

At this point he loves school and always wants more - math not so much. But math is starting to click with him so it's getting better. But,he does love LOF.

I will start officially homeschooling (as opposed to afterschooling alone) in June. Just a disclaimer.

Bible: Using online CLC materials, My First Hymnal for worship time, catechism

Math: Singapore 3A/B, CWP, Possibly LofF for supplement

Language Arts: WWE3, FLL3, HWOT Cursive, MCT Grammar Island, R&S Spelling (4 or 5- can't decide- wish they had a placement test)

Foreign Language: Greek- maybe Elementary Greek? :confused: Possibly Latin midway during the school year.

Science: Focusing on Biology for 1/2 year and Chemistry for 1/2 year- BFSU; Creek Edge Task Cards; lots of books from the library

Reading: TOG, MCT Literature (so excited about the APM lit program!)

Humanities: TOG

Logic: Building Thinking Skills

Music: Classical Kids CDs, The Story of the Orchestra, and continuing piano

Art: Artistic Pursuits and CM Artist studies (they are really great, btw)

P.E.: Outsourcing or looking for suggestions

Wow, that sounds like a lot, but I'm hopeful that it will get done with the schedule I have in mind. We do a lot of that now with afterschooling.

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Can you tell me about galore park's English? I'd love some information about that level and the assignments. :bigear:

I'm not sure exactly what you want to know, but I can give you an example of some of the assignments. Chapter 5 starts out with an excerpt of The Railway Children, and for the first assignment the child is to answer questions like "Why were the children so keen to visit the railway? What did they find so appealing about the passing trains?" and "Describe the old gentleman's appearance." Next is a reading section about steam engines, with similar questions to the first section. Section 3 is the main writing portion, the first says to re-read the passage from The Railway Children and then continue the story in their own words, and gives a few prompts like "Will the children meet the old gentleman? Will he offer them his help?" Lesson 4 teaches about personal pronouns and has the student rewrite sentences like "'Sally, when will Sally be here?' I asked." to use personal pronouns instead of repeating names. Lessons 5 & 6 reinforce lesson 4 in slightly different ways. Exercises 7-9 have to do with simple sentences, and lessons 10 and 11 have practice with suffixes and prefixes. At the end of the chapter there is suggested books for reading and offer alternative things to do, like playing a memory game, discussing whether you like traveling on trains, etc. The other chapters are similar in format with some different activities. For example, in chapter 1, which had passages about Snow White and snow, Ariel wrote an acrostic poem using the word "snowflake".

How about a slightly incoherent, probably not-at-all-helpful post? Still deciding on a few things....this was our first year HSing and we're still tweaking quite a bit. We plan to do school year-round, but lighter during the summer months.

So far, we have....

Math - continue with MM, look at Beast Academy?

LA - FLL3, continue WWE (finish 2, start 3), looking at MCT?, working on finding a new spelling program, going to start cursive

History - SOTW, unless I change my mind again.

Geography - finish what we're using now, which I cobbled together from a handful of sources

Science - finish BFSU, start vol 2.

Logic - don't know yet. We finished Logic Safari and Logic Countdown, and an analogy book (he loves those. :001_huh:) Trying to figure out what to buy next.

That's all I have planned (ahem - using that term very loosely.) He'll also continue cub scouts, art, and horseback riding, and is start piano lessons next month.

My plan, as it stands so far:

English:

WWE3

FLL3

Seton's Spelling 4

New American Cursive

Math:

TT4

MM as a supplement

possibly LoF

Science:

Mr. Q Earth Science

History and Geography:

From Sea to Shining Sea

States and Capitals

Latin (one or possibly both):

GSWL

I Speak Latin

Religion:

My Catholic Faith Delivered

Art:

Continue with The Phonics of Drawing

Even though we won't start 3rd grade until August, I am nearly done purchasing. Gotta do it while I have the money.

Math: BJU 3

Science and health: Abeka

Spelling: Rod and Staff

Reading/bible: Rod and Staff

Social Studies: Rod and Staff. We will be using Beautiful Feet Geography also.

Vocab: Wordly Wise

English: Shurley

Handwriting: A Reason For Handwriting Transition

Art: Feed my Sheep (with dd)

Music: Beautiful Feet History of Classical Music (with dd)

He will also be reading various books from Sonlights grade 3 reader list because we own most of them already.

Our year doesn't start until September but I've got most of it decided or narrowed down.

Bible: Still looking.. would like more history than just Bible stories.

Math: Math U See Delta, Teaching Textbooks 4, Evan Moor's Daily Word Problems?

Grammar: Easy Grammar 4 and Daily Grams 4 OR Growing with Grammar 4 and Evan Moor's Daily Language Review

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 4 & 5

Writing(Composition): Winning with Writing 3

Writing(Narration/Dictation): Writing with Ease 2

Handwriting: Evan-Moor Daily Handwriting Traditional Cursive

Spelling: A Beka spelling and Poetry 4

Geography: Evan-Moor Daily Geography Grade 3

Science: Still looking - maybe Real Science 4 Kids Pre-level 1 Astronomy and Geology?

History: Story of the World 3

Art/Music: Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 2 and Oak Meadow Intermediate Recorder + Composer lapbook from Confessions of a Homeschooler

Foreign Language: Song School Latin 2 and Minimus Mouse

Health: Still looking but maybe Horizons??

Competitive gymnastics(if the gym doesn't close) and the fall and spring sessions of our local chapter of First Class Homeschool Ministries co-op classes.

I'll have a third grader starting mid-August.

He'll use-

Heart of Dakota Bigger Hearts for His Glory

Rod & Staff English 2

All About Spelling 3

Handwriting Without Tears Cursive

Math U See Gamma

We may do HOD M-Th. That'll free up Friday mornings while my day care boy is at preschool. I'd like to have time for some fun games and mom/son time. We'll see what the fall brings.

my son will be in grade 3 next year. i'm still really undecided about what we'll use. i'm debating between using what we already have or purchasing some new things. i've got time to figure it out though, so i'll evaluate at the end of our school year (in may) to make a decision.

Science - Apologia flying creatures or Abeka

History/Geography - SOTW or Abeka

Geography - Daily Geography Grade 3 (by Evan Moor)

Math - CLE 3

English - WWW 3 or BJU 3 (if i go with WWW, we will use R&S 3 orally too)

Spelling - BJU 3 or AAS 3

Cursive - Handwriting Without Tears

Phonics - HOP Master Reader

lots of read alouds with mommy

we'll do co-op classes, sports, and scouts as well.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

Third grade is planned as:

Bible: Who Am I? Apologia, with coloring book

Language Arts:

Finish up FLL LV 2 and begin FLL LV 3

Explode The Code books 5-6.5

Writing With Ease LV 2

Wordly Wise book 3

Daily reading - beginner chapter books, work on our 3rd gr. book list

Math: Math U See GAMMA

Science: Apologia LAND ANIMALS, with notebook

US Geography: Continue with Cantering the Country for states/capitals, maybe add Daily Geography for 3rd grade

WORLD Geography: Continue with Galloping the Globe

US History: The Story of the USA book 2, and history that accompanies CTC

World History: SOTW Vol. 2

Music/Art: Composer study and listen to classical music, Meet the Masters, possibly begin piano lessons

continue with our co-op for "fun" classes, girl scouts

I'm excited about next year and we haven't even finished this one!

Subject to change at any moment:

Math: Singapore 5 and follow up with anything we didn't do in MM5/6... possibly add in some Life of Fred to stretch things out a bit

LA: MCT Island, KISS Grammar, WWE3

Science: Apologia - probably alternate between Zoo1 and Zoo2

History: US History (mama made)

Let's see...

Phonics - ETC 3.5 to 6.5 books as review, then 7 + 8 again

Grammar - FLL2

Writing - WWE2

Spelling - AAS 4 + 5

Handwriting - begin Cursive (looking at options now)

Reading Comprehension - looking at options

Math - Singapore Math 4A, 4B

History - American History (looking at options now)

Geography - US States, capitals, landforms, landmarks, mapping, etc.

Science - Singapore My Pals Are Here 3/4

Art - outside art classes

Music - piano lessons

PE - swim team, tennis, jujitsu

Foreign Language - French (looking at options now)

Religion - CCD

I've been lurking for about a year, and it took me forever to get the acronyms down, so I'm going to type them all out in case there are some simliarly shy newbies.

My daughter will be 8 this June, so starting 3rd grade in the fall.

Math: Saxon 5/4, maybe a Life of Fred

Language Arts: Writing with Ease 3, New American Cursive II, First Language Lessons 3, and All About Spelling (first time on the spelling, kind of excited!), and English from the Roots up.

Foreign Language: Getting Started with Latin, Portuguese with Dad (reading the scriptures with him in Portuguese, working on vocab using a children's dictionary, and various bilingual children's books).

Science: Building Foundations of Science by Bernard J. Nebel (we will finish the last half of vol. 1)

History: Child's History of the World, Story of the World, History timeline from Homeschool in the Woods (this last might be just a dream).

Geography: songs from Singin' Smart CD (states and capitals, Europe) and Knowledge Quest Maps stuff

Logic: Lollipop Logic

Memory work: scriptures, poetry, what kind of history facts??

Bible: Hurlbut's Story of the Bible

Literature: NOT linked to history this time. I am sick of wasting time on mediocre writing just to "fit" with the history timeline. I can see the benefit in the logic stage and especially high school. I'll probably rely on Ambleside Online for my list.

Fine Arts: try AGAIN to use Drawing with Children, and continue piano lessons.

:bigear: I am not quite sure what we are doing for 3rd grade. We are using ABeka this year and although we like it, I have heard that 3rd grade isn't as good as K-2. I also want something a little more challenging that ABeka seems to be. I have just added in WWW and so I might just switch to that for 3rd grade.

I have a few months to research it...until then I will be :bigear:.

We will be moving into 3rd grade kind of level in most stuff this year except maths but since we go year round we just move on when we are done.

Maths still struggling in the trenches with MM Level 1 will probably be moving into level 2 by the end of the year. Maths is my dd's weak point.

Language arts: FLL3 (next month start probably) WWE, Wordly Wise 3 continue and onto 4, Something for spelling & handwriting.

History- we are going to be studying British history using a variety of resources.

Science continue BFSU and move onto volume 2. Maybe some other stuff.

Languages-Probably Minimus for Latin and something for French-not sure what, I dont seem to like anything.

Music-Start Piano and maybe do the Intellego Orchestra Unit study

Geography-Intellego unit study

Art-Artistic Pursuit K-3 Book 3

Other stuff I can't think of.

Still thinking and planning here, but what I "think" we'll be doing is:

Rightstart D w/ MM3

McGuffey 3rd or 4th reader

AO Year 3 for Lit., poetry, artist/composer studies, maybe geog. and nat. science books. Also some books that I pick for him to read.

Classical Writing Aesop (continued)

Getting Started w/ Latin (cont.)

Narration/Dictation and copywork

AAS 3(finish up) and 4

Grammar: not sure....I have R & S 3, or he might cont. w/ Abeka, or we might end up starting KISS w/ both of them (if I can ever figure that website out!)

History: We're going to do 1600's up to the Civil War. Not sure what we'll use yet. (There are too many options that look good!)

Science: Elemental Physical Science (but we might do an Apologia book for the 2nd semester if we get tired of physical science. Probably the Botany or Land Animals book)

Art: ??

Hmm....not sure if I'm forgetting anything...

MATH - Singapore 3A and 3B with Miquon Yellow and Purple

GRAMMAR - R&S 3

WRITING - CW Aesop, copywork and dictation

SPELLING - finish SWO C and D

LITERATURE - lots of library books and oral narrations

HISTORY - TruthQuest AHYS 2 finish and AHYS 3

SCIENCE - I haven't asked him to pick a topic yet??

LOGIC - BTS 1 finish and some more MindBenders

We won't start until this fall, but this is what my future 3rd grader (I still can't believe she's that old :svengo:) is doing:

Language Arts:

Grammar/Composition: MCT Island, Galore Park Junior English 2, and WWW 3

Spelling: Apple and Pears Book C

Literature: How to Report on Books and Teaching Literary Elements with Picture Books

Math:

Beast Academy (if it's not too expensive. dd loved the previews!) or our back up plan is MIF 3A/3B, MEP, CWP 2, and IP 2B/3A

History/Geography:

Expedition Earth and The Complete Book of Maps and Geography

Bible:

Bible Study Guide for All Ages Unit 2 and a homemade mixture of Teaching with God's Heart for the World and Kids of Courage to correspond with Expedition Earth

Science:

Living Learning Books Level 1 and Zoology 2 with Jr. Notebook; add in Complete Book of Animals to go with Expedition Earth

The Arts:

Private art lessons

Global Art and Music

Other:

Mindbenders A1 and Logic Safari 1

Sue Patrick Typing

REAL Spanish

Ballet lessons

MATH - Singapore 3A and 3B with Miquon Yellow and Purple

GRAMMAR - R&S 3

WRITING - CW Aesop, copywork and dictation

SPELLING - finish SWO C and D

LITERATURE - lots of library books and oral narrations

HISTORY - TruthQuest AHYS 2 finish and AHYS 3

SCIENCE - I haven't asked him to pick a topic yet??

LOGIC - BTS 1 finish and some more MindBenders

Ahh, can I ask you some questions re: Miquon for grade 3? Maybe I should pm you? I wanted to use Miquon for grade 3, but since I've never done it, I was unsure how to begin.

thanks!

I think I'm almost done planning. Now to finish the shopping!

Math ~ Math Mammoth 3

Writing ~ cursive copywork, WWE model applied to history (He requested that we do it this way instead of using the workbook, which I already bought. :glare: )

Grammar ~ KISS Grammar

Spelling ~ All About Spelling

Latin ~ Lively Latin

SOTW3

Adventure Tales of America

Geography ~ Seabird by Holling C. Holling, and parts of Willett's Geography

The Happy Scientist (I think)

Student Reading or Read-Alouds:

Among the Meadow People by Clara Dillingham Pierson

The Bears of Blue River by Charles Major

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome

Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright

King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry

The Wheel on the School by Meindart De Jong

English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

Audio Books:

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

The Children of the New Forest by Frederick Marryat

The Heroes, or Greek Fairy Tales for my Children by Charles Kingsley

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Water-Babies by Charles Kingsley

At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald

Men of Iron by Howard Pyle

Shakespeare:

Romeo and Juliet for Kids (Shakespeare Can Be Fun! Series) by Lois Burdett

The Tempest for Kids (Shakespeare Can Be Fun! Series) by Lois Burdett

Poetry:

William Blake

Sara Teasdale and Hilda Conkling

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I'm not yet sure what we're doing for art and music.

We will be moving onto the next level of everything we are currently using, with the exception of ETC. Doodle will be finished with that series by the end of second. The rest of our line up:

Singapore 3b/4a

Miquon yellow and purple

FLL3

WWE2

AAS3

Word A Day Primary

English from the Roots Up

Mr Q physical science and chemistry

SOTW2

Complete Book of Maps and Geography grade 3-6

I am glad you guys are making me because the year is quickly ending!

For my dd8:

Math-Continue with TT perhaps for review, Rightstart C?/Singapore, Mep maybe...so terribly undecided. Dreambox

Spelling: AAS3-5?

Writing: WWE2 Writing tales1? Killgallon?

Grammar-FLL2-FLL3

Reading: ??????

Handwriting-Handwriting without Tears 3 Cursive

History-Story of the World Ancients and Middle Ages and American History using A Living History of Our World : We do both World History and American History a year

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Music: Simply Music

Science: BFSU or Elemental Science Chemistry

Latin: I Speak Latin/ Getting Started With Latin

Bible:BSFAA

PE: Family Fitness Time

Here's what I'm working on:

Grade 3:

MATH: Rod & Staff (finish 3, start 4), Singapore 3

LANGUAGE ARTS: AAS 5-6, FLL3, WWE3, A Reason for Handwriting (cursive)

LATIN: Latina Christiana I

HISTORY/GEOGRAPHY: TOG Yr 3

LITERATURE: TOG + selections from VP

READING: May try CLE...not sure what level

BIBLE: Explorer's Bible Study Beginnings II(New Testament)

SCIENCE: not sure...need to combine with 1st grader...maybe Sonlight

MUSIC/ART: Harmony Fine Arts Grade 3+ Piano

We're about to switch levels for a few things, but this is what I think we'll be ready for next Aug. when I call my then-8 year old a 3rd grader:

Math--Rod and Staff 3, and some Singapore 2

Language Arts--WWE 2, CW-Primer then Aesop A, ETC 7 and 8, New American Cursive from Memoria Press and copybooks; not sure yet about grammar--I have R&S 3 on the shelf

Latin--Latina Christiana 1

Ambleside Year 2--History, literature, nature study, geography, poetry, artist and composer studies

Memory Work--2 Psalms, 1 Bible passage, 3 poems, hymns, Westminster Shorter Catechism

piano lessons and children's choir

Haven't made solid plans, but pondering:

Reading: primarily reading children's literature, maybe finish R&S's reading program with workbooks

Handwriting: something to practice cursive?

Spelling: finish AAS 3, do 4

Grammar: R&S English 3. Or maybe MCT. I don't know yet

Writing: WWE 3

Math: Singapore 3B, 4A; possible supplements: Beast Academy or CLE

Science: chemistry - Ellen McHenry, maybe Mr. Q; experiments

History: SOTW 2 with Activity Guide

Geography: Complete Book of Maps and US geography study

Elementary Spanish from Discovery Streaming

Musikgarten piano, Mark Kistler's Draw Squad

Math - Math Mammoth 3, maybe some of SM 3, LOF

LA - R&S Spelling 3, KISS Grammar, Penny Gardner's Cursive Italics, writing TBD (CW Primer or something like PLL or ILL combined with WWW), lit AO 3/SL D

Science - TBD (either ES Chem, Noeo Chem, or Hakim's Story of Science or some combo of all)

History - SOTW 3 and either AO3 or SL D or combo

French - continuing with old high school French text

Art - Meet the Masters/AO artist study

Music - Classical Composers Monthly

Theatre - performing and volunteering at local theatre; attending plays throughout the year

PE - rock climbing, ice skating, biking, hiking, running/walking

Supplements: BrainPop, Discovery Education Streaming, The Happy Scientist, Khan Academy, Netflix, Reading Eggs, the 1000s of books in our house, community classes, etc

Edited by kimmie38017

Anyone else planning third grade?

My lineup so far:

Math- Saxon 5/4, life of Fred, or maybe beast academy

LA- copy work, dictation, and possibly Galore Park junior English

Science- no idea. More earth space? Physics?:lol:

History & literature- sonlight core E, Ambleside year 4

Religion- New Testament, catechism

Foreign language- continue with French and Latin. Programs tbd

Fine arts- piano and weekly composer and artist study

Anyone else?:bigear:

My youngest will be doing 3rd grade soon.

My line up:

A Beka Math with Rightstart C games and other math games

Grammar: FLL 3. MCT ??? I want to fit this in somewhere.

writing: WWE 3

spelling/phonics: Spelling Workout C/Phonics C

Reading: chosen from various lists. We may use some study guides.

Latin...Latina Christiana 1 / another funnish kids program...still looking.

History: Sonlight Core W with family part 2...uses CHOW & Usborne World Hx.

Science WTM plans 3rd year w/ brother

Bible: Core W and Missionary stories/church Hx

Logic puzzles/ maybe some software

Art/music/composer studies/poetry/Shakespeare / famous men of Greeks & Romans.

Physical Ed. Spring & fall soccer, summer swimming, winter dance class??

He will be starting piano lessons. This kid NEEDS them.

I will also be printing and using resources from the gazillion PDF files I have and using them on our clip boards....sometimes randomly:D

Faithe

Edited by Mommyfaithe

Bible - Memoria Press Christian Studies 1

Spelling - Spelling Workout E; All About Spelling - 5 & 6

Grammar - First Language Lessons 3

Writing - Writing With Ease 3

History - Story of the World 3

Science - (Chemistry) Adventures with Atoms and Molecules I & II; Usborne First Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of Science; Usborne Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia

Math -Saxon Math 3 & 5/4

Latin - Prima Latina

Art -Artistic Pursuits Book 3

Home Economics - Pearables Home Economics 3

Music - Piano & Violin lessons

I'll copy/paste my blog entry here for my current "would be a third grader if he were in PS."

We do a 2-week rotation; one week is a math/science focus, and the other is a language/history focus. We just alternate between the two, and school year-round, taking breaks when we need them.

Because this is pasted from my blog, it references some information from his brother's curriculum. <<stuff I had to add from his brother's notes will look like this. The blog reads a little smoother because I didn't have to do this, but I didn't want to force you to read the blog>>

Math/Science focus week:

He focuses on Singapore math (US Edition) as is his spine, with Life of Fred Elementary as a fun supplement (though we are pretty pleasantly surprised at just how MUCH math is packed into those books! If you skim them or read them fast, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll miss it; if you take your time, there is pretty advanced stuff in there!) as well as Khan Academy and some other fun stuff.

He also does NOEO Chemistry, but at level 1, with the same chem supplements as his older brother <<plus the texts from RS4K, KOGS from RS4K, Happy Scientist videos, ScienceWiz kits, Some Ellen McHenry Units, Some information from BFSU, Lab of Mr. Q, and some others, all as I can weave them into the NOEO spine to keep the coherent order to things) >>, minus the KOGS. There is nothing wrong with NOEO; weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re just a little science crazy in our house!

For Logic skills, he hasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t starting programming quite yet, but loves the Mind Benders, Ken-Ken, Sudoku, and other types of puzzles.

His musical instrument is the recorder, but the otherwise does the same

music and art activities as his brother. << Mark KistlerArt, Classics for Kids Podcasts, Art KOGS, and other activities)>>

He also does Unjournaling and typing for writing this week.

He works at Rosetta Stone for German quite successfully; I love how easily they pick up the grammar and spelling from that program! At 8 years old, though he does work through it at a slower pace and goes back and repeats some lessons, and I sit with him and guide him through the worksheets. We supplement for fun with Usborne Easy German, watching Pokemon videos in German, and speaking some German around the house, as well as finding some storybooks in German when we can, but RS is definitely the backbone.

His self-reading time is supposed to be 30 minutes, but he often sneaks in much more, and has to be told to put the book down and work on some of his other work, and naturally group reading time includes him as well.

He practices mapping the same way as DS11 for geography. <<(ongoing project to learn to map each continent by heart; review world map on Friday). **All subjects are daily, except for writing (typing is twice per week, Unjournaling only on Friday), Logic (Mind Benders are a Monday wake-up), Music and Art (different activities except recorder practice are spread through the week).>>

History/Language focus week

DS8 again follows a similar plan, but in an age and skill appropriate manner.

I decided to hit Ancients and Medieval history with him this year, so he has finished History Odyssey Ancients 1 and is now in History Odyssey Middle Ages 1. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a good thing he loves to read, because there is a lot of fun stuff for him to read now! He narrates his lessons each day for his notebook.

He is nearly finished with Prima Latina, and will soon begin The Big Book of Lively Latin like big brother. There will be a small amount of repetition, but at his age, that is a good thing. We supplement with Latin Crossword Puzzles and Visual Latin when we want a break from the usual.

He studies spelling with Spelling Workout rather than vocabulary, at this age, concentrating on natural vocabulary development.

Like DS11, music and art are unchanged from science and math week.

Writing consists of Writing With Ease and typing lessons, as well as anything he needs to write to summarize history lessons. I still help him by scribing a lot of history, but we stop and discuss sentence structure, using specific words instead of general words (names instead of Ă¢â‚¬Å“those guys,Ă¢â‚¬ for example), and other details. Typing is also done twice per week.

Grammar continues our experiment with the definitely non-secular but very solid Rod & Staff.

As with DS11, reading is the same as the prior week, with the minimum self-reading time set at 30 minutes for an 8YO, though he frequently exceeds it.

For History and language focus week, Singapore math is only completed on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; on Tuesday, he does some type of playful math, and on Thursday he works on Khan Academy. He works in Life of Fred (elementary series) whenever he has time, just because heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a fan of Fred. By the end of this year, he will have completed 2 years of Singapore math, a year of Math Mammoth (completed), many topics in Khan, and learned a tremendous amount from Fred, so dialing math back every other week doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t particularly bother me.

This schedule doesn't mention that he has swimming, gymnastics, and homeschool gym class every week, and a science class at the local natural history museum every two weeks, plus lots and lots of play time outdoors, and projects like woodworking and snap circuits and just silly fun projects as well as regular house chores.

We have fun with school! Lots of pictures on the blog in case you do want to check it out :).

Lots of new ideas to think about now :lol: ... but still fun to share the *current* plan!

LA - Writing Tales 1, Queens Language Lessons for Very Young 2, All About Spelling 2-3, Copywork/Cursive, Typing, Readers from Sonlight or WP

History/Geo - Expedition Earth, Sonlight Core A Read Alouds

Science - Mr. Q Science - Life / Nature Portfolio / Discovering the Continents (Animal Study) (Finished all 3 RSO & matching Science with sibling for now)

Math - Math Mammoth 3 & Xtra Math

Latin - I Speak Latin or Latina Christiana 1 (undecided)

Music - Piano (though dd drew pictures of her self playing the violin last night :tongue_smilie:)

Art - Draw. Right. Now. & Home School In The Woods Artists/Composers Activity Packs