Menu

I wonder if I'm going to get audited

The refund was suppose to be here on the 1st of February. Then the 3rd. Then today. Now it says up to 6 weeks from the date of filing. Wonder what they will say in 3 weeks.

We took the standard deduction.

I suppose they need some way to keep busy in the offices.

Anyone else had something similar happen and not get audited?

The refund was suppose to be here on the 1st of February. Then the 3rd. Then today. Now it says up to 6 weeks from the date of filing. Wonder what they will say in 3 weeks.

I doubt you'd get audited if you took the standard deduction. :001_huh:

Probably has more to do with the fact our government's broke. Maybe the check from China's been delayed? :tongue_smilie:

Probably has more to do with the fact our government's broke. Maybe the check from China's been delayed? :tongue_smilie:

Maybe someone just needs to look productive. :D

I daresay, so do the people working on your refund. :glare:

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

I'd :smilielol5:if this were not so abysmally true!

All I can say is they better have that refund here by May 1st! We filed electronically yesterday. I've got a rocketry team to take to D.C. in May for competitions and the 4-H office is broke, so they won't get to go if I can't fund it for them. Of course, all of our county offices are so broke they don't have two pennies to rub together unless they panhandle it on the streets.

Yes, I live in Michigan.

Parrothead, I hope it clears up soon. It is maddening...they get the money interest free all year and then drag their feet getting it back.

Faith

My mom is an EA, so we have the scoop: The IRS debuted a new system this year (e-filing is direct now,) and it took time to get it going correctly. Ours was delayed just a few days, but we filed in mid-January.

The other possible cause of delay is that someone wants a piece of your refund - usually a state government. If you are audited, you will get your refund and then get a letter later on down the road, unless you did something obviously fraudulent. :001_smile:

My mom is an EA, so we have the scoop: The IRS debuted a new system this year (e-filing is direct now,) and it took time to get it going correctly. Ours was delayed just a few days, but we filed in mid-January.

The other possible cause of delay is that someone wants a piece of your refund - usually a state government. If you are audited, you will get your refund and then get a letter later on down the road, unless you did something obviously fraudulent. :001_smile:

Not the state. We got that refund right on time.

Tomorrow will be a week "late" according to what Turbo Tax told me when I filed.

Friday will be one week "late" according to the IRS website chart.

I'll stay optimistic until Friday. ;) :D

Year before last our refund was delayed. I waited...I called...I waited...I called again. Third call I was told that two returns had been filed with my social security number.

So I had to go through the process to report ID theft. I got my refund a year late -- with interest. (The following January we received a 1099 from the IRS -- which meant we had to claim the interest as income :glare: )

We got the six weeks message the day before it deposited. I' ll bet it went something like this:

1st message: Your refund... BY the third.

Then it changed to the message that gave you an actual deposit date: Your refund WILL or is scheduled for deposit ON February sixth.

:)

Call your bank. They can probably "see" it pending. The igotmyrefund forums are full

with silly people, however your situation has been the gold standard all season.

Edited by BlsdMama

We got the six weeks message the day before it deposited. I' ll bet it went something like this:

1st message: Your refund... BY the third.

Then it changed to the message that gave you an actual deposit date: Your refund WILL or is scheduled for deposit ON February sixth.

:)

Call your bank. They can probably "see" it pending. The igotmyrefund forums are full

with silly people, however your situation has been the gold standard all season.

Turbo Tax said the 1st.

IRS said the 3rd

IRS said the 7th

IRS says 6 weeks.

If you filed before the 26th then it got delayed due to the link someone posted. I and my younger son filed on the 20th and have NOT received ours yet. The first email said we would get them on the 1st. Didn't happen. The "where's my refund" on the IRS site says it will be deposited today. Not there. It now says it will be deposited tomorrow the 8th. One can only hope. My sons has said the same thing as ours.

My older son filed his on the 29th and got his on the 3rd. (Filing the same way as us, efile with direct deposit) So, it's true that those who filed before the 26th are the ONLY ones that were delayed.

Now, why they came in and processed those that filed after the 26th instead of going back and processing those that had theirs in first, I have no idea. But, that's the government for ya. Hope it comes soon for you.

Edited by Faith
spelling

If you filed before the 26th then it got delated due to the link someone posted. I and my son filed on the 20th and have NOT received ours yet. The first email said we would get them on the 1st. Didn't happen. The "where's my refund" on the IRS site says it will be deposited today. Not there. It now says it will be deposited tomorrow the 8th. One can only hope. My son's has said the same thing.

My older son filed his on the 29th and got his on the 3rd. So, it's true that those who filed before the 26th are the ONLY ones that were delayed.

Now, why they came in and processed those that filed after the 26th instead of going back and processing those that had theirs first, I have no idea. But, that's the government for ya. Hope it comes soon for you.

We filed the day after you. I had the exact same thing except instead of it saying the 8th it says "up to six weeks."

They can delay a handful of people by a week or two but to delay the entire country would cause riots in the streets.

I don't know. I know so very little about the process.

I'm aggravated since we have plans for the money that we keep having to put off. The system as it is now truly sucks.

Can you adjust your exemptions so that you receive more in each paycheck? Why provide the government a free loan?

We were audited once, and it was a full year after the taxes had been filed and the refund received. Apparently we were flagged because of the amount of donations we claimed as deductions. It was a pain, but we had all the paperwork we needed to document everything, and ended up with a letter saying everything checked out. But that whole process took several months.

So if you took the standard deduction, I'd wager to say you probably aren't being audited. I'd think it's entirely the fault of the IRS's new filing system.

Same. We filed within a couple of days of the first day (definitely before the 26th) and our return was accepted immediately with a projected release of funds date of Feb. 2. They said it would take 2-3 days to show up in our account, and it was there on the 5th. No notices about anything being delayed. We use TaxAct.com.

Year before last our refund was delayed. I waited...I called...I waited...I called again. Third call I was told that two returns had been filed with my social security number.

So I had to go through the process to report ID theft. I got my refund a year late -- with interest. (The following January we received a 1099 from the IRS -- which meant we had to claim the interest as income :glare: )

Oh IRS, you slay me! :lol::lol:

I'm alarmed here as well. I filed my dad's return for him (using tax cut) on the 19th, his refund was delayed based on original timeframe, but was direct deposited on Saturday of this week , 2/4.

I filed our tax return on feb 1st, the IRS accepted it within 3 hours (usually it takes more like 48 hours) but as of this morning it was still not showing in their "Where's My Refund Tool?" I used tax cut to file mine, just like my dad's.

The IRS site says it should take 72 hours after acceptance to show in WMR. I was thinking that maybe we're going to be audited or some such. We are moving into our new home in less than 2 weeks and I was counting on that money for some of our moving expenses. Yikes!

We didn't file as early as many of you, because believe it or not I had no idea I could file before February 1 :tongue_smilie: - so that is when I filed (I used H&R Block).

But I was surprised today when I checked on the 'where's my refund' thing, because it says we should have the money by February 21. :001_huh: That's still like 2 weeks away... I don't think it has taken that long for our refund in the past. :confused:

It isn't really a big deal for us, I was just caught off guard by that length of time...

We didn't file as early as many of you, because believe it or not I had no idea I could file before February 1 :tongue_smilie: - so that is when I filed (I used H&R Block).

But I was surprised today when I checked on the 'where's my refund' thing, because it says we should have the money by February 21. :001_huh: That's still like 2 weeks away... I don't think it has taken that long for our refund in the past. :confused:

It isn't really a big deal for us, I was just caught off guard by that length of time...

Sometimes it depends on the day of the week that you file. The IRS only releases their direct deposits on one day of the week. Then it goes out their bank one night and into your bank the next (it's weird). If you file right before the cut off for the following week, it can seem like you got the refund really quickly. If you file right after that magic cut off, you have to wait until the following cycle to get your money. I am not sure what day the IRS is using this year.

This year has been crazy! I filed my through tax slayer the day before the IRS was accepting them. They said they received it and the money was supposed to be in there by the end of January. Then, a couple days later they said that it would be going in February 6th. A few days after that, they said I had made a computation error and it would be $200 less, but going in on the 6th. I called at that point, spent an hour on the phone and was told they had no idea why, that they couldn't do anything and to call back if it wasn't in by the 6th. Late last week, they said I had made a computation error and I now owe them almost $5,000!!!! I tried to call them, got disconnected and decided to wait. The next morning it said they were processing my refund. Now, for the last 3 days it has told me that the money (minus the $200) will be deposited tomorrow. I'm nervous, but praying it is there.

Sorry for the rambling!

Jenn

Don't lose hope. In filed with h&rblock online (free for military through militaryonesource.com) on the 31st, yesterday it said to expect my refund on the 14th. And it showed up today (the 7th).

Can you adjust your exemptions so that you receive more in each paycheck? Why provide the government a free loan?

I used to think this too.

But we now have the situation.

1. Nothing comes out of my everyday check (Less than $10)

2. a big chunk comes out of my bonus

3. My husband's job takes out 20% of everybody's check, no options to change that

4. Child tax credit and such then get added on top at the end

So no, we can't adjust exemptions to receive more each paycheck.

I filed our tax return on feb 1st, the IRS accepted it within 3 hours (usually it takes more like 48 hours) but as of this morning it was still not showing in their "Where's My Refund Tool?" I used tax cut to file mine, just like my dad's.

Don't let that part concern you. That is the new system that just went live (and the cause of many of their problems.) They will be accepting them immediately.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering, still nothing this week. Today it is officially a week late.

I wonder if I have to wait 3 more weeks before I can ask for an advocate.

Ours said it would be up to six weeks, then it gave us a date sometime next week, but it came a couple days ago. We should have been in the delayed group according to the posts here. My husband has been audited in the past and ended up owing quite a bit for a retirement policy that was cashed out when his employer closed. It has been years, but I still expect an audit every time we file. I hope you get your money soon! :grouphug:

We have also tried changing our exemptions, but it's too difficult to calculate when you never know what bonuses will be handed out. Life would be so much easier if those were taxed at the regular rate.

Not that this will make you feel any better,

Last year, we owed on federal...ugh..it was substantial b/c dh had been working 2 jobs to help save our two mortgages...we sold the house after 31 months but he kept the 2 jobs to get us out of the ridiculous debt we had to go into to survive...our state has state income tax...we were owed a refund on that (go figure) a substantial one that would pretty much pay for the federal we had to pay out of nothing...so it was pretty important we get it back, soon.

We filed in March...Fed. Govt deposited our check 7 days later...our state government kept making excuses...July, July 16, Aug 1, Sept 15, you name it! Finally, around December I was boiling mad...I phoned the governor, his secretary, the secretary of the treasury - you name it and raised cain because they 'say' the monies for tax refunds come out of the same budget the schools run on...so they can pay the schools but not pay the people who they took too much money from that PAY the schools?? We are at our highest exemption so there is no way to prevent them from taking out too much...within one week I had my check...it took a lot of threats to call the local political radio program...it was crazy!

Ours said it would be up to six weeks, then it gave us a date sometime next week, but it came a couple days ago. We should have been in the delayed group according to the posts here. My husband has been audited in the past and ended up owing quite a bit for a retirement policy that was cashed out when his employer closed. It has been years, but I still expect an audit every time we file. I hope you get your money soon! :grouphug:

We have also tried changing our exemptions, but it's too difficult to calculate when you never know what bonuses will be handed out. Life would be so much easier if those were taxed at the regular rate.

This is what has me concerned. Seems everyone in the delayed group has gotten theirs already.

And since it hasn't been six weeks I can't call anyone to complain. Well, I could, but I'm sure I'll be told that I have to wait until the six weeks is completed.

Sometimes it depends on the day of the week that you file. The IRS only releases their direct deposits on one day of the week. Then it goes out their bank one night and into your bank the next (it's weird). If you file right before the cut off for the following week, it can seem like you got the refund really quickly. If you file right after that magic cut off, you have to wait until the following cycle to get your money. I am not sure what day the IRS is using this year.

Don't lose hope. In filed with h&rblock online (free for military through militaryonesource.com) on the 31st, yesterday it said to expect my refund on the 14th. And it showed up today (the 7th).

Well, I checked the where's my refund again yesterday and it says it's scheduled to deposit monday. :D :party:

We also used Turbo Tax and keep getting the message on the "Where's My Refund" link that they do not have our information. I have read several comments on the Turbo Tax forum and it appears MANY people are having this issue.

I spoke with an IRS representative today and she told me the IRS has implemented new software to check for identity theft. Unfortunately, it was not tested out before tax season (go figure!). This is the reason for the delay. It is also causing issues on their website. So, the info on the website may not even be accurate.

She reiterated the processing time is 10-21 days from the time they receive it. :confused: Turbo Tax claims 7-10 days, which has always been the case. I guess I should be seeking a refund from Turbo Tax of our processing fees.

One good thing - they will now be doing direct deposits Mon.-Fri. instead of just Fridays. :)

We have had an issue 2 years in a row with the state - they delay refunds over some amount, but process refunds for smaller amounts. They do eventually pay the refunds, but they wait until after April 15 when they have received money from people who owed.

Our problem is that DH works in one state, but we live across the border in a different state. His company's HR can't seem to figure out how to stop paying the state they are in, so they withhold large amounts and pay to the state that we end up getting refunded, and then we turn around pay that in to the other state. Annoying, b/c it's a wash financially, but when one state holds your refund, we end up having to pay one state long before getting the refund from the other.

Anyway, I wonder if the fed govt has set up something like that, where they delay paying out until they get a certain amount paid in.

Day 24. Still nothing. I wonder if I ought to call the IRS. I really dread dealing with them.

Their website says "please wait 4 weeks before calling."

This is starting to get irritating. One does the right thing, gets it taken care of in a timely manner without procrastinating and, what? Nothing but a headache anyway.

Edited by Parrothead

Day 24. Still nothing. I wonder if I ought to call the IRS. I really dread dealing with them.

Their website says "please wait 4 weeks before calling."

This is starting to get irritating. One does the right thing, gets it taken care of in a timely manner without procrastinating and, what? Nothing but a headache anyway.

Does the IRS site say nothing when you plug in your social, status and refund amount? I e-filed mine this past Saturday, and the IRS site says to expect my refund by February 28th.

I've still nothing and it still says up to 6 weeks.

If I were you, I would go back through my copy of the tax return, and see if there were any errors.

About 10 years ago, ours was similarly delayed, because I had not added in the AMT (Alternate Minimum Tax). (I have a degree in Accounting, but just never thought this would apply to us!) It took several weeks for them to notify us by mail.

If you find a mistake yourself, you can file a corrected return and possibly speed up the process.

If I were you, I would go back through my copy of the tax return, and see if there were any errors.

About 10 years ago, ours was similarly delayed, because I had not added in the AMT (Alternate Minimum Tax). (I have a degree in Accounting, but just never thought this would apply to us!) It took several weeks for them to notify us by mail.

If you find a mistake yourself, you can file a corrected return and possibly speed up the process.

H&R Block's software tells you if you owe the AMT. I can't imagine it not picking something like this up... I guess that's why I love the tax software and have used it since it was first available.