Menu

CC, but others can pop in--Scheduling sports games on Sunday

Well - what about people who are Jewish.... or Muslim? It would be impossible to find a day to suit everyone, and - imho - not appropriate to schedule simply because it is the Christian Sabbath.

Also - fields are used ALL weekend by different sports. Someone has to get Sunday.

My son often has hockey games on Sunday. I figure, if God didn't want us to play hockey on Sunday, he wouldn't have invented Canada.

:lol: This is the most hilarious thing I've seen in days! thank you!

I think it's annoying for Sunday games, but doable. We actually avoid most weekend sports because it interferes with camping.

I was a competitive swimmer for years and years. Our meets were always Fri-Sat-Sun. At first my parents were really opposed but as I got good there wasn't really a choice. We usually went to Sunday evening service if the meet was over in time. We were very involved throughout the week in church though also. With my kids, I don't know. I think it would depend on how good they were or something I am not sure.

One person's Saturday is another person's Sunday. Personally, I can't take one more thing on a weeknight.

I understand Sunday games. There is usually limited field space, for one thing.

We have one tournament, this entire spring, that will mean we miss church. Every other Sunday afternoon (after church) we have a game. We're fine with this. It actually makes our Saturdays more relaxed and spreads the activities out a little better.

I have made my peace with the fact that there is no way around Sunday competition for ambitious swimmers and tennis players. I know families that honor a Saturday sabbath, and they are also burdened by that. I have a Muslim friend who honors Friday, but it doesn't seem like weekly attendance is as important o his family as the daily structured prayer, fasting, etc. So anyway, I respect people for just refusing to do sports because of their commitment to a sabbath, but sports organizations ant make everyone happy.

We had a couple of seasons where we played Sunday games. They were necessary because of the volume of kids playing in the league. Since our family allows activities on Sunday (the kids play outside, I may go grocery shopping, etc.) it didn't seem much different to go ahead with the sport. We kept it from interfering from our worship time as much as possible. If necessary dh took the son participating to his game and I took the other 2 with me to church.

As a Christian family Sunday is our Sabbath. We do not play sports or participate in secular activities that have practices or performances on Sundays. My children have missed tournaments, games, or not taken part in theater groups when the performances have been on Sunday. Thanks to the wonders of technology we can host a Super Bowl party at 6am on Monday with cinnamon rolls & wonderful breakfast food and get through the game & everyone off to school or work without feeling deprived. We do not visit museums, go to movies or restaurants on Sunday. That is simply the rule in our house. So far no one has bucked the system. Sports, in particular, foster a spirit of competition that is not compatible with the Sabbath. On Sunday we rest from our labors & activities of the rest of the week and we do the Lord's work. A peaceful Sabbath refreshes me & gets me ready for the rest of the week!

I also understand that those who do not share my faith have other designated rest days and those who do share my faith choose to observe differently. I don't make any judgments about what other people do.

Amber in SJ

It's a problem for kids who want to go to church regularly. Years ago a young man came to church suited up for football and left after communion. It's crazy. We never played sports that interfered with church but it seems to be more difficult all the time.

My son often has hockey games on Sunday. I figure, if God didn't want us to play hockey on Sunday, he wouldn't have invented Canada.

Ice time is a precious commodity in some communities. If my son had not played on Sundays, the games would have had to have been late on weeknights. One of my son's friends in Boston quit playing hockey when his practice was scheduled for 5 AM on school days.

By these standards, Sunday afternoons or early evenings were a luxury.

Ice time is a precious commodity in some communities. If my son had not played on Sundays, the games would have had to have been late on weeknights. One of my son's friends in Boston quit playing hockey when his practice was scheduled for 5 AM on school days.

I know, right? Some of our games have been scheduled at 7 am Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Also, another compelling reason to home school: 12 pm open ice time, and skating lessons.

Thread Hijack Alert-

Ice time is even more precious for adult leagues around here. My husband has been playing for over 15 years in the same recreational league. He has a 9:45pm practice one a week and the games start anywhere from 8pm to 11:45pm Thurs-Sat. Yes, 11:45pm! It is insane. His teams know he doesn't play on Sunday. It usually only comes up a couple times in a season. It stinks when he is out because he is the goalie, but he always finds his own sub.

Amber in SJ

Thread Hijack Alert-

Ice time is even more precious for adult leagues around here. My husband has been playing for over 15 years in the same recreational league. He has a 9:45pm practice one a week and the games start anywhere from 8pm to 11:45pm Thurs-Sat. Yes, 11:45pm! It is insane. His teams know he doesn't play on Sunday. It usually only comes up a couple times in a season. It stinks when he is out because he is the goalie, but he always finds his own sub.

Amber in SJ

See, and this is why God and I have this understanding.

Selah.

It's much easier for Jehovah Jireh

to gain floor time in the pulpit

than to provide us ice time in Texas.

Thread Hijack Alert-

Amber in SJ

My PeeWee son's practice starts at 8pm and will only get later as he gets older! My boys play hockey but with limited ice, there's no way around Sunday games. Our church doesn't have a Saturday or Sunday night service so we just try to do our best, even if it means going and leaving the service a little early.

Go Ducks! :D

My boys have wrestling tournaments on Sundays. I was a little hesitant at first, but we have found tournament days to be wonderful family days. We attend Mass on Saturday nights, and the kids go to religious education on Wednesday evenings so our Sundays are free of formal church obligations. Our Sunday is spent at the tournaments cheering the boys and bonding as a family. We order in pizza for dinner and watch a movie.

If you are a Christian, I expect that you can find God anywhere on any day.

I think it is something each family must decide for themselves.

My husband and I are both preacher's kids and were raised with a Sabbath rest mentality. We try to limit our Sunday activities to church- or worship-related.

We won't miss a church service for a sports game and unfortunately, there was no way to know in advance if the kid's games would be scheduled during a morning or evening service time (they have games ALL DAY long on Sunday). So we've not participated. It is also why my children cannot participate in a second fencing practice each week. It falls on Wednesday night and we have church.

Our family's decision is not to participate in Sunday sports. We don't go out to eat or anything else like that on Sunday either. Where I grew up this was how most people felt, so hardly any sporting events were scheduled on Sundays. It was a bit of an adjustment when we moved to have to deal with Sunday games. We still sign up for sports - we just make sure beforehand that at least some of the games are not on Sundays. I'm not bitter at those who schedule things on Sunday, since it doesn't seem to bother most people. But it's not something we'll attend. And it is absolutely wonderful on the rare occasion when we find an activity that doesn't involve Sundays.

:lol:

We generally try not to schedule things on Sundays but that's not a blanket rule. We have taken swimming lessons on Sundays.

My boss is Seventh Day Adventist. His dc do not do anything on Saturday except church. Sunday is when his son plays paintball. There are a lot of Muslims in my neighborhood and many, many high school sports games are played on Friday afternoon and evening.

Chris, if recall correctly you are in Northern Virginia where there are so many cultures and religions, there's no way a league could cater to one set of needs. I suspect Upwards sports does not schedule on Sunday, but I do not know.

It's frustrating and each family has to make a decision. I certain in my Episcopal congregation no one would bat an eye if a priest's child missed services. I know I wouldn't. It's not my business. In my previous church the priest's oldest son just stopped coming to services altogether as a teen. That kind of thing does happen to all kinds of people, I figure my priest and his family are people too and they have to make decisions that make sense for their family.

We have one day a week that we can spend with my Dh, as a family and I have never and will never schedule games on it. We DO do things that day, but it's centered on all of us reconnecting and family centered. Leisure is important to bonding.

BUT every family has different needs-some parents may be off on Monday and make Monday their day together.

Thanks for all the replies.

My boss is Seventh Day Adventist. His dc do not do anything on Saturday except church. Sunday is when his son plays paintball. There are a lot of Muslims in my neighborhood and many, many high school sports games are played on Friday afternoon and evening.

Chris, if recall correctly you are in Northern Virginia where there are so many cultures and religions, there's no way a league could cater to one set of needs. I suspect Upwards sports does not schedule on Sunday, but I do not know.

It's frustrating and each family has to make a decision. I certain in my Episcopal congregation no one would bat an eye if a priest's child missed services. I know I wouldn't. It's not my business. In my previous church the priest's oldest son just stopped coming to services altogether as a teen. That kind of thing does happen to all kinds of people, I figure my priest and his family are people too and they have to make decisions that make sense for their family.

Well, she WANTS to go to church, so it's not that. Her Sunday schedule is packed as it is--9am-11:05 is church and SS, 12:30 is choir, then starting in Feb. she has Confirmation at 5, and then she continues with youth group until 8. So it's a combo of not really wanting to do sports on Sunday and not having time.

I totally get the multi-cultural thingy--and I really agree that it's hard to schedule. :001_smile:

I think that a sport's team/league can schedule games for whatever day they want. It is true, Sunday is not the "sabbath" for everyone. However, we, as a family will NOT participate in a sports league that schedules Sunday games. Church comes first. Period. We actually play for the next town over (and hence in MD and not PA) for some sports b/c of this issue. Personal choice. The only conflict we've ever had was with Tournaments for soccer. The tournament was held on ONE weekend, meaning that the advancing teams had to play on Sunday. It was ONE Sunday...so we compromised.

I think it's a shame. Sundays are the day we have set apart, although I know some congregations offer services on other evenings.

We have been involved with groups that have tournaments with games sometimes on Sundays, but they have worship services available on Sat. evening.

One Sunday morning we were driving and saw lots of minivans driving towards a building and I thought a church met there. I later found out it was a soccer building. All those many families were going not to church, but to soccer. I hope they went to church another time that week.

I think Christians should unite in boycotting Sunday morning events. Maybe people would stop scheduling games then.

My brother used to have practices and games that STARTED at 9 or 10pm on weeknights. This was a league for 8-12yo kids. Ice time is precious! I don't really recall (we were not churchgoers) but I'm fairly sure they had Sunday practices and games too.

Edited by AdventureMoms

I think it's a shame. Sundays are the day we have set apart, although I know some congregations offer services on other evenings.

We have been involved with groups that have tournaments with games sometimes on Sundays, but they have worship services available on Sat. evening.

One Sunday morning we were driving and saw lots of minivans driving towards a building and I thought a church met there. I later found out it was a soccer building. All those many families were going not to church, but to soccer. I hope they went to church another time that week.

I think Christians should unite in boycotting Sunday morning events. Maybe people would stop scheduling games then.

:confused: You can't expect others to live according to your standards.

Not every Christian goes to services in the morning. Our congregation shares a building with another congregation and we trade off times. Right now our services are from 9am-12. Last year they were from 11:30-2:30 and the year before that it was 1pm-4pm. We don't get to pick and choose the times that are most convenient.

Amber in SJ

Boycott them yourself, but don't ruin community sports because they don't meet your needs or standards. Many Christians have Sabbath on Saturday. but it appears according to you they aren't Christian. Make your own league, contact Christian schools and ask if they will take homeschool players (many do), find a Christian homeschool team.

All Christian?

----------------------------------------------------

I don't mind so much having games on Sunday. Usually there is another day or time or parish to attend. The ones that bug me are the scheduling things during Holy Thursday and Good Friday. Either the school/group needs to call the local parish or the local parish needs to contact the schools/group. I don't much care who makes the initial contact but I can't fulfill two obligations at once.

Edited by Parrothead

I think I would like to contact the people in charge of the games & tell them that Sunday morning games are an obstacle for our family-- and hope that they could have a rotation whereby some weeks it's Saturday vs Sunday and am vs pm-- I agree that it would not be fair Always to have Sunday am free for church, for the sake of those players of other religions, but there's no reason why there can't be a compromise.

Thanks for all the replies.

Well, she WANTS to go to church, so it's not that. Her Sunday schedule is packed as it is--9am-11:05 is church and SS, 12:30 is choir, then starting in Feb. she has Confirmation at 5, and then she continues with youth group until 8. So it's a combo of not really wanting to do sports on Sunday and not having time.

I totally get the multi-cultural thingy--and I really agree that it's hard to schedule. :001_smile:

With that schedule, I'd look around for a lax league that plays on Saturday or try another sport. Around here the Y and Upward (they have a middle school group with a different name that I can't remember) don't play on Sunday.

Personally, I grew up with a family that didn't allow non-church activities on Sunday...but Sunday was *anything* but a day of rest.

Up at 6am, leaving the house by 7:15, 8:15 service (I assisted in SS), 9:30 (my SS) service, 11:00 (I played in the church orchestra) service, home by about noon, make brunch, eat, clean-up, about 2 hours to "rest" before we were leaving for evening church (choir practice, orchestra practice and evening services) home by 9pm... we fell into bed exhausted, and until my Jr. Year in high school, I had to be up at 6:00 to get ready to leave for school.

My brother still operates pretty much under that, plus they have family devotionals/services every morning and evening, plus church Wednesday. They do no activities not associated with church. That is their choice...but ime, it hasn't led to a happier family, either.

Based on my upbringing with only "church" activities, that didn't lead themselves to family time or rest... the occassional swim meet does not bother me. We have roughly 52 Sundays a year. Of those, we attend 6-8 swim meets. Oh, and I also do not pack up sick kids and take them to church, either. None of my children will win an award for "perfect attendance."

We enjoy our church services... but Sunday is family time, too. Rushing around Sunday to make it to this service or that is stressful for me, and the antithesis of "rest." We go to evening services, occasionally, Care Groups, occasionally, Wednesday services occasionally, and morning services regularly.

Dd wanted to start playing lacrosse. All 8 games are on Sundays. It doesn't fly here.

She's already very busy on Sunday, and we are opposed to scheduling games on Sunday am. So disappointing.

What do you think about Sunday games?

I just had this conversation with DH this morning. DS7 is in wrestling and every Sunday in January, he's had matches or tournaments, some beginning at 7:30 in the morning! AND he's got 3 weeks of Sunday tournys ahead of him! That's why I went a bit nutsy this morning. I said, "What the heck is the matter with these people? Are they all atheists? None of our other sports have been on Sundays like this, or at least if there's a Sunday game, it's in the afternoon." It's really getting on my nerves.

I'm not a hard-core Christian (some may say I'm not one at all), but I do like to go to church with the whole family.