Menu

What are you most likely to splurge on for homeschool?

kristinannie

Where do you splurge most in homeschooling?  

1. 1. Where do you splurge most in homeschooling?

• Living books
    • 3 R's curricula
    • History
    • Music
    • Science
    • Art Supplies
    • Manipulatives
    • Teaching supplies
    • Furniture
    • Other

Last year, I splurged on pretty much everything. Really. This year, I am determined to trim back;)

Me too! I see that you do CM and so do I. I am thinking that the price will go down once we have a library built up. I just can't stop buying living books! It doesn't help that our local libraries are pretty pitiful.

Science supplies (not so much the curriculum), Art supplies, History/Lit combo is my highest curriculum cost but this includes real books.

Grammar and spelling are my least. I do purchase 2 writing curricula, so that is a little higher. Math is pretty low because I am using Singapore and MM. I already bought most of the manipulatives 2 yrs ago, and MM was bought on sale in one big chunk.

I voted history, science, and manipulatives. Too often I find a curriculum that is okay but lacking hands on work (or enough of it). I have a kid that likes to see and touch the subjects so we end up buying more to make up for that deficit.

Living books are great, but I can get them at the library. I can't find a place willing to loan cell models and x-rays, though!

I put "other" - partially because at times it's been all of the above! I just depends. I think I splurge the most, though, on anything I think will help my 8th grader with dyslexia and other LDs... subscriptions to Discovery Ed, Teach Company dvds to get subjects into her yet another way, three different middle school math curricula one after the other to help cement the pre-algebra topics that have been going in one ear and out the other...

All these things will eventually benefit our homeschool as a whole, so I don't mind. Helps me feed my curriculum junkie habit too...:lol:

Books, definitely books. Of all kinds. We have too many (yet not enough) books ...

And art supplies, I've found that Artistic Pursuits' promotion of using real art supplies is true: much less frustrating for the children and much better outcomes. With three children, Dick Blick can get pricey, even buying a little bit at a time.

Other.

Outside classes/tutor to teach what I can't. In our case, foreign language (French). Courses on CD, workbooks, grammar books, weekly private tutor, and now dual enrollment tuition. By far the most expensive subject for us, because it is the one where I need by far the most help.

I do buy a lot of books, but used books are cheap - much cheaper than a real live teacher.

I've spent a ridiculous amount of money on math stuff in getting started with homeschooling, but it's worth it. MM, TT, also books for me on teaching math (like Math Power and Kitchen Table Math). And the Life of Fred series, which I'm slowly stocking up on, and justifying because I'll use it for both girls . . .

I also tend to splurge on history or science books that we'll refer to over and over in our chronological or topical studies - The Story of Science, and things like this. For other living books, I *try* to make myself rely mostly on library copies, but often can't resist buying . . .

Next big spending plan is MCT, but I'm trying to hold off for a bit. I may have to freeze my credit card!

I am trying really hard to trim back on the basics, since I have so much on hand already, so that I can splurge on art supplies, living books (although dh says I could open a small bookstore with all we own already), and science materials. I used to splurge on manipulatives too, but I think I have a pretty good supply of those laid in.

And then there are piano lessons for ds, and maybe dd will want them too.

Music. By far, music.

We farm out private lessons. Then there is student orchestra. Times two. Don't forget sheet music and cds. Then there is maintenance. Ds's bow needs to be rehaired. That will have to wait, but I just ordered two strings. I won't even discuss the cost of instruments, but I will say we paid more for a bow than DH paid for his first car. Sure it was a clunker, but it cost less than either ds's or dd's bow.

Add to that an AP music theory class that's farmed out. We won't talk about gas to get to class, lessons, rehearsals and gigs.

Top it off with a dd who has an unsatiable desire to learn music history, and, well, I have to go with music. :tongue_smilie:

Would I change it? No way. Is it worth it? Totally. It is my dd's passion and purpose. Ds is good too, but dd lives for it. Oh, and in the interest of full disclosure, dd has earned money with her violin. She is in a community orchestra (and gets paid for each performance), and when she had more time, she taught lessons.

Edited by Angie in VA
typos

Books, definitely books. Of all kinds. We have too many (yet not enough) books ...

And art supplies, I've found that Artistic Pursuits' promotion of using real art supplies is true: much less frustrating for the children and much better outcomes. With three children, Dick Blick can get pricey, even buying a little bit at a time.

I just want to applaud you with a standing ovation on this post, ladydusk! We love to read at our house and have overflowing shelves in three rooms of the house!

But really, the point you made about using real art supplies and how they truly make a difference in the outcome is what I'm clapping the hardest over. I majored in art in college with a concentration in painting, and that was one of the best tips I got from one of my professors. I've carried the message to my art students consistently through the years because I know its the best way to succeed in any art endeavor. Because the arts are so often undervalued, people often hate to spend money on getting the right supplies. (Can you imagine trying to scrimp on the type of tools you'd use to study science, fix a car or build a house? Hmmmm....) Art IS important, and using the right tools is definitely worth the splurge.

BTW, I also think Artistic Pursuits is an awesome, awesome curriculum - also well worth the money. If I didn't use my own lessons to teach art, I'd be using it myself.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I wish I could say I splurged in any area! I am pretty tight with my spending all around. At one point I was spending a good amount on books, but now we have a nice sized library and I won't be adding any new material until every single book we own has been read at least once if not twice!( We have well over four hundred books!) I am am more geared towards frugal homeschooling and shopping in bulk during sales. I have been considering purchasing a kindle fire for each of my pupils (2). We use many e-resources and apps ( I have an ipad) in our learning, those would be considered splurge luxury items:001_smile:.

I just want to applaud you with a standing ovation on this post, ladydusk! We love to read at our house and have overflowing shelves in three rooms of the house!

But really, the point you made about using real art supplies and how they truly make a difference in the outcome is what I'm clapping the hardest over. I majored in art in college with a concentration in painting, and that was one of the best tips I got from one of my professors. I've carried the message to my art students consistently through the years because I know its the best way to succeed in any art endeavor. Because the arts are so often undervalued, people often hate to spend money on getting the right supplies. (Can you imagine trying to scrimp on the type of tools you'd use to study science, fix a car or build a house? Hmmmm....) Art IS important, and using the right tools is definitely worth the splurge.

BTW, I also think Artistic Pursuits is an awesome, awesome curriculum - also well worth the money. If I didn't use my own lessons to teach art, I'd be using it myself.

Thanks! I really like Artistic Pursuits. I've never been artistic, although I've found that when I've done the projects with the children, using quality supplies, *my* results are actually pretty decent.

We run a very frugally tight ship around here. But if I added up where the dollars were going, it's most definitely towards music. The kids have band and choir classes which are very reasonable compared to most classes I've seen advertised. They also cap tuition at 3 kids. Yay!! We also do marching band in the summers which is another cost plus new pants/shoes when necessary. Also, the cost of the instruments. I wish we had enough for private lessons as well. But we invest what we can and try to get the most out of that.

Other. I probably spend the most money on taking my kids on all sorts of outings and field trips and/or on extra-curricular activities, camps, lessons and that kind of stuff.

Curriculum and books and all that I tend to buy used and stick with what I choose and use the library heavily.

Living books

Outside activities, classes and programs

Science supplies

3 R's curriculum

Art supplies

In the last year I also spent a tidy sum on furniture and large items that we won't need to purchase again. I also purchased the rest of some curriculum I'll need in years to come since I don't see us abandoning them - SOTW, WWE, FLL, AAS, SM....I had the money, got them, now I don't have to worry about them if money were to become tighter in the years ahead.

I'm still in the curriculum junkie phase of my homeschooling path. Actually- I'm in a hoarding phase when it comes to all aspects of homeschooling so I chose other because I am just as likely to get one of these things as I am another. Whatever strikes my fancy will get my money at that moment.

Oh goodness. I suppose my answer depends on whether we're talking about *my* money exclusively or my money combined with the money we have from our charter school for classes and curriculum. We spend rather a lot on classes, but the school now pays for all of the ballet (two classes/week for my daughter and one/week for my son, so it's a fair amount per year), all of the Lego engineering, and for four months of the jujitsu, which adds up to rather a lot for the two of them. The classes are by far the biggest splurge, I suppose, though how much of that we'd be doing even if we weren't homeschooling I'm not sure.

In terms of curriculum, I've probably spent the most on math so far, but almost all of it will be/is being used again for my daughter, so I think LA will win the "most spent" category once we start using MCT (so many consumables!) next month.

My answer depends.

I know that to some people I've talked to, my packaged curriculum is a splurge. To me, I plan on spending the least amount (so far in my h/s journey) this upcoming year b/c I'll be buying it all in a package, though.

In the very beginning, I splurged on resource books, math manipulatives, and various try/fail curricula. This year and probably in the next few years, it's science equipment. (We bought a microscope this year and will probably by a telescope in the next few years.)

We do piano, but I don't count that as we'd be doing it regardless of homeschooling.

If it is curriculum/books that I feel we need, then I don't tend to look at that as splurging. Things that I tend to "splurge" on are - electric pencil sharpener (a must have, in my books! LOL), a Wii exercise game, or tid bits like that. Things that we don't really need in order to function...but they sure make my day easier! :)

I voted Living Books and Other. I never have a problem buying great classic books that I know I will want all of my children to read or hear read aloud.

Also, I picked Other because at any time in this homeschool journey I would probably splurge on any of these items if I feel it would further their education or inspire learning.

I picked art supplies, and manipulatives. Because splurge to me is when you spend more money and get more than you need.

As for curriculum and teaching supplies I get what I need and that's it. But when it comes to paints, glitter, watercolor paper, counters, links, and so on and so forth..We have MORE than we NEED that's for sure!:glare: